It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you watch T.V still?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
There are only 2 events a year I watch
on TV.

Superbowl

and

World Series

no wait, those stream on the internet now.
No I dont watch TV anymore mainly
cuz there are no stations close enough
to me for me to pick up with rabbit ears
and that digital TV convertor box thingy
they gave us. And I sure as he!! aint gonna
pay for cable or a sat. TV used to be free
and in my opinion it should always be free.
Or else cut every single commercial off
the doggone thing if I have pay for it.
Then I shouldn't have to watch commercials.

Ditto. And plus the super bowl has hilarious commercials.

Not to get offtopic, but what i still laugh about is how people used to say "The Saints will win the Super Bowl when hell freezes over". The Saints win and 1 week later, Washington DC gets like 4 feet of snow.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Very rarely watch tv.

IMHO most of what is on TV is redundant and boring.

I much prefer reading books or surfing the internet.

TV content is getting dumber year by year.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I loose my TV addiction about 2002, and changed my information channels to Internet - never eaten that passive media pill anymore. After 911 TV revealed its lying brainwash agendas, and everything from Tube just made me sick, like it still does today. I cant watch evening news without getting angry about it, because of lies they are spreading every night.

For years I watched only movies from TV, but these days I use only computer to that too - last year I have looked TV honestly about 30 min / per week.

"Long live the interactive media!"

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
same here. i use to watch tv all day long. after a while i just got grossed out by the low minded content. even the so called "intelligent" programing like "lost", "24", "hero", and such just seem like mindless dribble and a huge waist of time. iv also noticed that allot of people dedicate their lives to tv programs. no one wants to learn anything any more. people would rather see a monkey fling poo in their eyes instead of learning about its habitat. Mtv no longer plays music, they just have dating shows and dumb rich kids getting drunk. nickelodeon use to have educational programing for children but now they have spungbob.
back in the 80s at the end of cartoons, there would be a message about being a good person (the more you learn the more you know, and knowing is half the battle G.I.JOE!). now cartoons have no educational value what so ever (excluding nick jr). why do people care about what rich kids are doing in new jersey? i there are only 4 things that happen on tv now a days 1.sex 2. drinking 3. crime 4. arguments . some times food and home improvement.
it seems to me that the tv corporations are trying to dumb us down so that way we are easily controlled. they want us to focus on things that do not benefit us as a race. now im not saying there is no programing that is helpful (even though the helpful programing just tells us what to eat, wear and buy) but the main focus is on stupidity.
i think that some peoples minds just can not be controlled, which is why some of us dont pay attention to the dribble.
well i have to go. dancing with the stars is on! woo hoo!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

You made a good point. After I loose my will to look TV at all, I have noticed its impact to atmosphere if TV is open somewhere. Its not good - and there is really something in its signal. Waching TV makes you also tired, but Internet wont make that same bored / brainless feeling.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I watch some sports, and catch a few programs from the History Channel, Discovery. Also usually get 1/2 hour of "news" in the morning. Very rarely we'll watch a movie in the evenings.

We've discovered this new thing -- it's called talking. Both of us spend a lot more time outside than we've done in the past, and with the continual construction projects we have going at home, (as well as our paid work elsewhere), we're both pretty pooped at the end of the day.

Oh yeah, and once in a while we'll watch Stewart, Colbert, South Park.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

I don't have TV in my house at all. It enslaves me! It annoys me going to a person's house when they have the TV on the whole time. I don't know how to talk o to people who have nothing else to discuss but TV. I also live in the UK so we have to pay for a license in order to watch one so I am not going to pay for that nonsense to invade my home!
The information super highway does the same thing 'though and I am pretty glued to it but the redeeming feature is that I have more controll over what my mind ingests.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by fallow the light

"How can you know all of that?"

Is mostly same question what I heard after having talk with "regular" folks. I think its mostly because I havent loose most important decade of my life (22-32yrs) by working 9-10 hours a day in some slavery for poor paycheck, after that by watching 2-3 hours brainless programming from TV - and using only free time in week to get drunk, continuing my life in sundays by watching some sport competitions from sofa, eating Pizza...

I will tell you my secret:

- I have travelled a lot
- I use world wide web, not TV
- I write and do daily artistical works
- I have fall in deep love about two times per every year
- I dont own anything what makes me think that I belong to somewhere
- I keep in touch with different ages of peoples, and try to update my info
- I spend lots of time with animals, mostly dogs and horses
- I watch out not to use too much alcohol, or any drugs

Always keeping the main question open: "If I would be a president..."

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I occasionally watch Comedy Central for South Park and The Colbert Report, and that's it.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Moved out of my parents house in 2004. Decided to opt out of cable or satellite. I've been downloading shows ever since. I watch a few shows, but mostly watch documentaries these days. A lot of them are online amatures. They seem much more informative than the junk that's on t.v. these days. I seriously can't stand idiotic, amoral shows on the tele. This includes almost all of them. I will zone out hardcore if I'm in a room with a bunch of zombies glued to the tube. The sight of this mind control madness makes me wanna

[edit on 29-4-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I use to watch TV all of the time until about a year ago. I still have basic cable, and when they took the history channel away from me(the only channel I would watch. My TV was literally on the history channel for years, I never bothered to change the channel:lol
, that was it, I gave up TV. I do still watch The Office when it comes on, or Family Guy, but that's it. When those shows are not on the air, my TV is unplugged. I use the internet and my computer to watch stuff and play video games and get music, and anything else I want to do. Long live the internet!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I very rarely watch tv, only if there's something going on that might be reported on the news. Tv really tends to irritate me, a lot of programming tends to treat viewers with so much contempt.

I really like to chose what I watch, so I but a lot of dvd - I guess there is some tv, I like, there's a lot of good HBO stuff, but I'd rather by the box-set to watch at my leisure and pace or watch it online - from legal websites of course

If I had a child I would not plonk them down in front of the tv, I'd try to actively watch things with them and would be terribly cautious about what they were allowed to view.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I stopped watching TV in 1990, when I was 33 years old. I was very busy at the time and just got out of the habit, even though I had been a heavy TV viewer as a kid. I didn't miss it and never started watching again. The only thing that I watch on TV is an occasional sporting event or occasionally Crime Scene Investigation (CSI). I'm an analytical chemist and people tend to talk to me about what they see on CSI. CSI is funny to me because it's far removed from the way things work in real life. But, my TV hasn't even been turned on in about 2 months.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I have never been much of a tv watcher, unless it was something relevant to my interests. I do watch History or Discovery if there is something neat on. Aside from that there is scant little else except for a few guilty pleasures, V, Lost, and 24 come to mind. Past those, my tv is really only used for my 360 and PS3 ...oh yea and baseball, but most of the yanks games tend to be blacked out down here so im kinda stuck just watching the World Series most times.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CarolynC

Thank you so much for the comment about CSI! I think that show is a bit retarded, and have a friend who swears that's how it works irl!! I don't understand how people can confuse t.v. for reality like this. I knew the show was a joke from day one. I can see how it would be humurous to watch it as someone who is knowledgable in a relevant field.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I watch a little news in the morning..but cant do commercials. I will watch a little history channel, animal planet, or National Geographic late at night....but again, during the commercials, Im putting a load of laundry in, folding cloths, washing a few dishes, I just have trouble sitting still through commercials, I get very agitated.

I will watch a movie with the family now and then...but most of them will put me to sleep before its half way through.

I have trouble watching things where I am not learning something....but can manage to sit through a movie now and then.

I did sit through Avatar the other night...and WOW...its a long one. Was glad I watched it...didnt feel like I wasted time....it was more of a treat to watch someones bizarre imagination come to life through the TV screen.

The majority of channels offered through the TV are a waste of time..for me anyways. But I do watch some TV...and try to watch some movies. A little down time never hurt no one. But sitting in front of meaningless shows all day long...I do find that to be very numbing to humans.

If I need a good laugh...I look up flicks of mamma's family or I love Lucy on you tube. Where have all the good writers gone? I would rather watch MASH or Little house on the Prairie before I sit and watch what is offered on the networks these days.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I agree with you on the dumbing down, I prefer to read anything over TV, but I have never liked TV anyway. There is nothing on, it brainwashes you, and the commercials are there all the time. In fact the only thing on TV is commercials, or last I looked, you couldn't watch a program on Tv for 5 minutes without some really stupid commercial coming on, and it's probably worse now. We had a program LIKE Tivo before we got rid of cable, so we could fast forward through all the commercials. It helped some but we still found nothing on tv that we really enjoyed.

It's been literally three years since I have watched real tv commercials and all, and I am fine without it. I pity the people who are addicted to watching the crap box!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The only thing i watch on TV these days is footy (AFL) ya gotta watch sport live!..everything else i download to watch, like the OP, i just can't handle the commercials. Stupid people selling stupid sh*t to stupid people..over and over and over.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Funk bunyip]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mysticalzoe
I pity the people who are addicted to watching the crap box!

I pity the people who think that only their way of living is the right one.

I rarely watch TV, only sport events and occassionaly music concerts.

German television is really awful these days, commercials, the so called real life documentaries, soap operas and stupid court shows.
I miss the old days with all the wacky game shows, animated series and tv shows.
And movies are mostly cut into pieces and have german overdub which i despise, so that's another reason to not watch TV.
I watch a lot of DVDs and own around 600. Can't live without movies and 80's animated shows like Masters of the Universe or TMNT

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
We ditched our T.V. for a few years. We didn't watch much anyways, as I want my kids to play outside. But, I'm 36 and I grew up on T.V. as well. We only had 2 or 3 channels, so if there was nothing on, we went outside. But despite conspiracy theories, it has always been called the "idiot box".

I actually do surveillance for a living now, and watch a wall full of them. (Take that dad!!!) He always said I'd never go anywhere in life if I just sat in front of the idiot box all day. haha.

But...I think now with SOOO much information at our fingertips, the ability to watch shows online, that aren't bombarded with commercials every 10 minutes that we're just losing interest in "forced" channels. You sit down and channel surf to see if there is anything worth watching.

With the internet (so far) You sit down and watch what YOU want.

What I think is funny, is they are trying to pawn off these new 3d T.V.'s, like it is new tech! Yet you still have to wear the stupid glasses, and the 3D in the theaters isn't that much better than say...."Jaws 3D" way back when.

"They" must really think we are dumbed down a lot. haha.

Anyways, to get back on track, I feel a lot better, not sitting zombified in front of a T.V. watching nothing.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join