It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many of you watch T.V still?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+43 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I am 49 years old and grew up on T.V. but for some reason, in the last 5 years or so i have not been able to sit in front of the T.V. and watch anything longer than , say 30 mins with out feeling like i am being shot at with" stupid" missiles.
Commercials actually give me a headache and most shows just don't make any sense to me, almost like i don't get it, know what i mean?
Growing up, i seemed that television was centered around family and fun nights together, but now, i just don't know. My wife asked me the other day why we don't watch t.v. together anymore and i had to just tell her the truth, that i just can't watch it anymore, it literally gives me a headache.
I have watched a couple of discover channel documentaries that seemed ok 'til the end , but they leave you hanging just like the old program with Leonard Nemoy,(Spock)ah wife says it was called "in search of"
So ATS'rs, my question is..do you watch T.V. and if so, how does it make you feel?
It makes me feel like i am being dumbed down and i just can't watch it any more.

thoughts?

edit for wife help

[edit on 29-4-2010 by baddmove]

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I used to watch TV all the time. But I very rarely do these days.

As you said after about 30 minutes you realise there isn't anything on, and it makes you feel like you're being treated like an idiot.

I must prefer the internet because I can simply get whatever content I want on demand.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I probably watch a max of 2-3 hrs a week...
I really have to be bored to turn the set on to be honest.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
less and less all the time eventhough the TV was my full time baby sitter when growing up.

My children now get a couple of hours a day if they can be bothered with it, most of the time they prefer to draw or read or play outside, the wife unfortunately is addicted to it

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

i still watch tv but i mostly play videogames
when i do watch tv its usually sitcoms like sienfeld and king of queens
or the history or science channel i sometimes watch family guy but that show is just getting lame and i watch southpark because its actualy an intelligent show if you look for the message

but no i dont feel dumbed down
family guy though stupid usualy has a valid message in it

however i do not watch stupidity inducing shows like rickki lake or montel, i also dont watch reality tv or anything involving paris hilton-its retarded
also i avoid televangelists their crooks

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by wagtail

It's like that old loose bedspring..er...Bruce Spingsteen song,
57 channels and nothings on..

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I watch it every night.

Mondays I watch 24 and Pawn Stars

Tuesday is Lost and V

Wendsday is SVU and south park

Thursday cant remember but there is something I like on that night.

Friday is block buster night.

Saturday I watch my dvr for any show I missed during the week.

Sunday is Apprentice.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
The only tv I can get into these days is the few sci-fi shows, Fringe, Flash Forward, Caprica, Stargate Universe, just for some escapism.

Thinking about the looming WWIII and takeover by the NWO all the time would make anybody have an Alex Jones-style freakout.

However, when I was a kid I would watch the stupidest sh*t just because it was on. And it's worth it to get a DVR, so you can fast forward through the commercials.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

I hear ya, when i was a kid Gilligan's island was the show i just had to see, hoping they would NOT get rescued just so the show would keep going on. But now, i just can't watch it anymore...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
mostly just watch it bed now...
or hockey.
the internets are my pacifier now

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
What is TV ? Is that the oblong box in the corner telling you what is real ?

No I dont watch tv and havent for 2 years now, I peak at the MainStream news a couple of minutes each day to see what they are lieing about today..

And I post on their facebook page that they are probably wrong in their conclusions and should research this and that.. Dont help much though.

So, TV no......

Take the commercials, toothpaste that goes Boom in your mouth and it is a commercial for adults, I tell my wife in a sarcastic manner: Was that toothpaste for kids ? , and I get the wierdest look .

[edit on 29/4/2010 by ChemBreather]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   

I am 26 years old and haven't watched more than 4 hours all together of TV since I was 21.

I haven't had cable for several years.. and don't plan on ever having it again. I use the internet to get my news and entertainment. TV.. I don't miss it at all.

There is too much in life to do out in the world than sit in front of the tube all day every day.

I watch movies a lot.. I either go out to see one, rent one.. or watch one of the many that I have bought over the years.

Good thread, S&F for the simple fact that you don't watch tv.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I stopped watching T.V. atleast 14 months ago. I don't even have a T.V. in here any more, took up too much space.

My lizards cage looks MUCH better instead

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Christ, I just watched an episode of south park. That's the first time I actually watched a 30 min show in months. My parents are the ones of my household always watching television. For some reason I can't stand sitting down and flipping through the channels anymore.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
~16 hours worth of news per week.
~01 hours worth of V per week
~01 hours worth of the colony per week
~03 hours worth of documentries per week.
~03 hours worth of comedy per week
~02 hours worth of stuff I cant think of now per week

Sorry that's so weird looking, I was trying to work it out.

I watch a fair few DVD's in a week though, but I count that as separate to TV.

So yeah I still watch.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Scarcer

Good for you my friend! I like to tend to my garden or work on my truck when i get bored. T.V. to me is just a waste of my time on this here planet!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
There are only 2 events a year I watch
on TV.

Superbowl

and

World Series

no wait, those stream on the internet now.
No I dont watch TV anymore mainly
cuz there are no stations close enough
to me for me to pick up with rabbit ears
and that digital TV convertor box thingy
they gave us. And I sure as he!! aint gonna
pay for cable or a sat. TV used to be free
and in my opinion it should always be free.
Or else cut every single commercial off
the doggone thing if I have pay for it.
Then I shouldn't have to watch commercials.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by broahes

There is too much in life to do out in the world than sit in front of the tube all day every day.

I watch movies a lot.. I either go out to see one, rent one.. or watch one of the many that I have bought over the years.

Good thread, S&F for the simple fact that you don't watch tv.

You do realize that you are still staring at the "tube" when you are watching all those movies, right?

You might as well be wasting time watching television.

You talk about there being to much to do in the world and then turn around and say that you watch a lot of movies. It doesnt make sense. Are you doing garden work or are you watching a movie?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

That's cool..if you are ok with it then i have no problem with that. i'm just curious as to how many ats'rs still watch t.v. thanks all for your replies.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
~16 hours worth of news per week.
~01 hours worth of V per week
~01 hours worth of the colony per week
~03 hours worth of documentries per week.
~03 hours worth of comedy per week
~02 hours worth of stuff I cant think of now per week

Sorry that's so weird looking, I was trying to work it out.

I watch a fair few DVD's in a week though, but I count that as separate to TV.

So yeah I still watch.

Its okay, I imagine the majority on here who say they don't are looking at the television right now as they enjoy ATS.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join