It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NJ Students Walk Out to Protest Budget Cuts (video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

NJ Students Walk Out to Protest Budget Cuts (video)

It's the modern-day version of a grass roots protest.

Thousands of students throughout New Jersey pledged on a Facebook page to walkout of class at 8 a.m. today to protest budget cuts which are slashing school programs.

At Montclair High School hundreds of students walked out of classes at the stroke of eight, chanting, "No more budget cuts."

By midday, walkouts were reported from Rancocas Valley High School in Mount Holly to West Orange High School. Students in Newark planned a march to the district offices.
(visit the link for the full news article)
Link

[edit on 27-4-2010 by UnitedSatesofFreemasons]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
About time these kids realize its in there power! As this is true with all of us in the larger school system of Government. I too grew up in NJ and we have great schools, but true to life, its only a matter of time. I aslo have a mother who has done 35 years as a special ed teacher in nj, head of the Union and she has been saying this all the while. It started with NCLB and since its just been lower grade teachers with larger class rooms. You dumb down the kids, and you can get them to do just about anything

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Hey! That video in the begining is not Montclair! Thats my old high school Rancocas Valley Regional High school i can pick that beautiful school out anywhere, its red brick makes it look like a college...hmmm why they wouldnt mention them? Prob. because they are a star school that is often flexed in Jersey/

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
This is why children are not allowed to vote; too easily manipulated.

The New Jersey budget is seriously out of whack and without proper balancing (that is to say CUTTING) the state will soon go even further down the drain. Governor Christie only decides how much money is allotted to the schools, the School Board in each district decides what and where to cut specific programs.

The NJEA is undertaking one of the dirtiest propaganda filled movements of all time in order to desecrate Christie's attempt at fixing this state in favor of the Union loving Corzine's policies that helped to destroy it in the first place.

PDF of Administrators and Salaries.
Duplicate positions, high salaries, all of which could be cut but why would those at the top risk their own?

[

[edit on 4/27/2010 by eNumbra]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Living in Jersey, having grown up in Jersey, I may be a tad biased on this. But all of this is BS.

The budgets did NOT have to get cut if the teachers had agreed to pay ONE POINT FIVE percent of their paychecks into their healthcare/dental instead of the government footing the entire bill. Since the union's refused to do this the money to NOT cut the budget's was not there. Opening the door for layoffs, cuts, programs closing, etc.

This is pure and simple the teacher's and teachers union's fault.

If an after-school sport gets cut from these budgets just throw a fundraiser to support it like the kids at my school did for Ice Hockey. Not a single dime for their program came from the school it was all public funded from donations. The same went for the turf field the high school now has, all fund-raiser driven.

That and every damn classroom does NOT need a flatscreen TV to teach kids.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
the problem is the kids were manipulated

they were protesting chris christie cutting there budgets and "firing"teachers

he didn't fire a single teacher,,, BOE did that

the kids have no clue what they're protesting,,,, unfortunately,,,, but a good lesson in activism no less,,,, but need to be better informed

the above posters got it,,,, it's not teachers,,,, it's the heirarchy of superintendents making 220,000,,, asst. superintendents making 125,000
and other higher ups that are the problem

the njea is a dirty,,, steamroller

christie is putting a stop to what's been overdue in jersey for 20 years

and many budgets were voted down by voters not christie

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
are these kids learning anything at all.

new topics

top topics

join