It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High court accepts case over violent video games

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowArcher

You call it moronic. I call it half of an answer that could use an expleanation.

You could have asked

Annyway I agree with what you say.

Of course it's not only the parents and I know perfectly well you lose control the minute they go to school.

It's more the whole system that's mallfunctioning.
As if we got stuck in a down going spiral that causes our youth to behave just a bit worse with every following generation.

What do you think ?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Reply to post by Sinter Klaas

I have played games since I was five. My three brothers are in the same boat. All of my friends have played games most of their libes.

All four of my daughters haves played games since they first wanted to. The same goes for all of my friends' kids.

Not one of the above mentioned has ever showed a tendency towards violence.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by misfitoy

I disagree with your statement : Young children will do what they see.

Children will only do so if they are not properly tought why and how they are not allowed.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

That's precisely what happened to my friends. Nothing .

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
as a parent its our jobs to make sure our children are well tougt .

by playing these extreamly violent games they may grow up to be killers and rapists is that what we want?
i dont think so its part of our job is to not buy them these games in the first place.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
This argument is retarded due to the fact that there is already a regulatory board set up with a rating system and a de facto law against selling to minors to begin with.

The problem is that some (not all, some) stores ignore this rule and do so anyway, or the parent buys it for the kid. And even when it is the former, how often do 10 year olds have 50 bucks on them that they earned themselves? Not to say this won't happen, but most get it from their parents to begin with.

Parents just need to grow up and learn how to be a parent.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel
as a parent its our jobs to make sure our children are well tougt .

by playing these extreamly violent games they may grow up to be killers and rapists is that what we want?
i dont think so its part of our job is to not buy them these games in the first place.

I think you are right that it is your responsebility as a parent to teach and protect your children.

I verry much disagree with your position on violence in games.

Violence is a human result of emotions we posses.
If you get violent from a game. Believe me the violence is already a part of you.

You will not develop any violence if it wasn't.

Certainly you will not kill or rape because of violence in a game.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

we re all entitled to our opinions but im just trying to make a point is all.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel

we re all entitled to our opinions but im just trying to make a point is all.

You would be crazy if you wouldn't.

But why would you only give your opinion if you do not want to talk about it ?

I'm pretty sure I'm right and you're wrong. But I could be wrong tho.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
reply to post by SirPsychoSexy

I do understand what you're saying here.

My point is that if you behaviour was caused by playing Need for Speed instead of lets say...
youthful inresponsibility.

Then why was I not effected by it. I've spend countless of hours playing that game.

Good point. Mostly the irresponsibility, but the ideas of how to be irresponsible may come from the games. Oh well, who knows.

Either way, you can't blame games for the root of the problems. You may cut off a branch, but the tree will still grow.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
What I don`t understand is, if these games are so bad, and from what I can see is, they would like to stop these games from being marketed, but yet, when these kids reach the age of 18, they can go into the military and see things that are just as bad, and even worse. So I guess by the time you reach 18, it`s ok to teach them how to kill, and it won`t leave a lasting impression like these games will?

Wow, society, brain death at it`s best.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I'm always amused at just how low some people's opinion on the common sense level of the average pre-teen and teenage mind is. Show me a kid who decides to rape or murder someone because of a video game they played and I will show you a kid who will one day murder someone because of some rock song he's listened to, or some banned novel he's read, or because the devil tells him to kill people by communicating with him through his pet Golden Retriever. In other words, the kid's nutshell is already cracked and the solution isn't to try to shelter him at all costs but, rather, fix the damn crack.

The other issue here which I'm surprised nobody has mentioned is that video games are traditionally programmed by an element of society who tends to hold creativity, individuality, and rebellion above the sort of group-think/speak/act, always do what the people in charge tell you to do mentality which the government desires our children to follow. Thus, it behooves the government to restrict the medium as an entertainment source for children, prefering to see the children turn to the old boob tube where they can be properly hammered by the ideals of consumerism, respecting authority (watch some of the drivel they market especially to very young children... many of the messages are clearly spun in the direction of never questioning those who hold sway, but always confronting your friends if you see them breaking from the lock step.)

Obviously I'm not advocating 8 year olds playing Gears of War here. (especially not on Xbox Live! Nothing kills a multiplayer ranked match quicker than hearing a squeaking voice belonging to some kid who's testicles haven't even descended yet trying to talk smack...) I am saying, as a parent of two small children, that it ultimately is my decision when my kids are mature enough to play a particular video game. Honestly, this argument may have been valid 20 years ago, when we were a bunch of snots with milk still on our lips and our parents had never played anything more advanced than a pinball machine. They had no idea what the hell Mortal Kombar had in terms of gore and violence and Doom was essentially Greek to them. The kids they are attempting to control now, however, are largely from parents in their 30's who know exactly what's in the games because we play them too. Therefore, I will give the benefit of the argument to the parents as to who can play what, not the courts and certainly not the crusading idiots in government.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Video games help vent those violent primitive tendencies us humans try to forget we have. We're just animals deep down and we have rage that gets all pent up in our modern society. Video games and other artistic mediums are a way of venting, Catharsis and escapism combined.

Glad to hear that a pro-video game case is being heard, a great break from all the negative press such games get.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by FiatLux
What I don`t understand is, if these games are so bad, and from what I can see is, they would like to stop these games from being marketed, but yet, when these kids reach the age of 18, they can go into the military and see things that are just as bad, and even worse. So I guess by the time you reach 18, it`s ok to teach them how to kill, and it won`t leave a lasting impression like these games will?

Wow, society, brain death at it`s best.

LOL kudos for this post.

I believe it is the soccer mom groups that keep trying to push violet video games out the door. If they want their kids to stop playing violent video games just tell them to go buy a wii.

Even Peter Jennings before he died just cracked an eye brow at people who say video games causes violence. He just gave that, "are you stupid?" look. It was priceless when he did that interview with those activists. RIP Jennings!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
The rating system is good enough. More sissy progressives trying to be the parents. We have so much dumb a**ed legislation right now that it is unbelievable. Kids are not as innocent as everyone wants them to be. Time to wake up and fix some real problems.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ventian
The rating system is good enough. More sissy progressives trying to be the parents. We have so much dumb a**ed legislation right now that it is unbelievable. Kids are not as innocent as everyone wants them to be. Time to wake up and fix some real problems.

You can say that again.

I have seen kids pocket delivery driver's tip money in the pockets and just giving the driver exact change. But hey they want to believe the phrase monkey-see monkey-do.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by dragnet53]

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   

So yes I think people should be very careful when allowing violent games to be played by impressional kids and even some adults

I think the goverment needs to stay out of my business and parents should PARENT.

Games like GTA are made for ADULTS. Hence the 18 rating. If your kids are playing this then it's your own fault.

The "it's for the protection of children" excuse is an easy way in for more regulation, censorship and control in all aspects of life.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

I verry much agree with all the replies from the 5th of May down.
This one says it all.

Video games help vent those violent primitive tendencies us humans try to forget we have. We're just animals deep down and we have rage that gets all pent up in our modern society. Video games and other artistic mediums are a way of venting, Catharsis and escapism combined.

Glad to hear that a pro-video game case is being heard, a great break from all the negative press such games get.

It's in our nature to be and/or act violent, somehow people forgot or just blame it on someone or something else, like videogames or the devil.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I didn't even thought of that before.

So for everyone that's against violent videogames what should be a better choice.

1. Let your children watch tv all day and get indoctrinated.
2 Choice to be a parent and look after your kids as you are supposed to do.( no offense )
This way there would be no need for a new law.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirPsychoSexy
The only place I could have gotten it from is my excessive time spent playing Need for Speed and Burnout.

This is a valid point. As much as I hate censorship, we are all influenced to varying degrees by what we see be it video games, movies or TV.

I remember going to a movie with some friends as a teenager and after watching a movie with a great chase scene in it, the guy who drove us to the movie decided to drive like the car in the chase scene on the way home, with tires squealing when turning corners etc. Now obviously not everyone attending the movie did that on their way home, so it's fair to say not all of us have behavior influenced by such media, but some of us do, and the less mature we are the more susceptible to the influence I think.

Ideally the parents should be making this call about what's appropriate for their kids, but when I look at the parenting skills of some parents (or lack thereof) it is almost enough to make me go against my instincts that say leave it up to the parents, since some parents don't seem to be up to the task, though certainly many are.

It will be interesting to see what the high court decides.

[edit on 6-5-2010 by Arbitrageur]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join