It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia Crime since gun control

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
You would think they would have put more thought into this law...

I mean look at Mexico... they too have some of the strictest gun control laws in the world... 22,700 KIA to date...
Oh sure the bleeding heart libs blame the US as the source of their weapons but let me say... We normal Americans don't have access to rocket launchers handgrenades or full auto machine guns...

Of course. Everyone knows that rocket launchers and handgrenades and fully automatic machine guns are made best in Mexico!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Yes, crime has increased dramatically since we Australians voluntarily handed in our guns.

Crime has also increased dramatically in America OVER THE SAME TIME PERIOD, where Americans are buying more guns and ammunition as fast as they possibly can.

This all has to do mainly with drugs and the increase violent crime world wide................

I suppose the bottom line is, how safe are you in each country ?

The answer is, you are (at least) six and a half more likely to die in America form a gunshot than in Australia. That is a statistical fact.

Australians still get robbed and beaten up,, but stand a far better chance of surviving a violent criminal attack than in America.

So who is really safer ?

The assaulted Australian with a black eye, and bruised ego, or the stone dead American.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow
Yes, crime has increased dramatically since we Australians voluntarily handed in our guns.

Crime has also increased dramatically in America OVER THE SAME TIME PERIOD, where Americans are buying more guns and ammunition as fast as they possibly can.

This all has to do mainly with drugs and the increase violent crime world wide................

I suppose the bottom line is, how safe are you in each country ?

The answer is, you are (at least) six and a half more likely to die in America form a gunshot than in Australia. That is a statistical fact.

Australians still get robbed and beaten up,, but stand a far better chance of surviving a violent criminal attack than in America.

So who is really safer ?

The assaulted Australian with a black eye, and bruised ego, or the stone dead American.

You fail to mention the dramatic increase in violent robbery and home invasions in every capital city of Australia since the time period that is relevant.
But yes drunks with guns are a no no, but look how many are now killed witha single punch tahnks to the sharing of th epressure zones ect via self defense colleges ect.
The fact is the physcopaths still drive trucks and kill scores of Aussies every quarter and the same Physcos own the guns illegally.
Research the almost hell like figures of road dead and the causes.
Trucks kill many more than guns , but no on esays a word except the mourning relatives , friends of the dead.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Conspire
You fail to mention the dramatic increase in violent robbery and home invasions in every capital city of Australia since the time period that is relevant.

Sure, homes are robbed in Australia, and people assaulted, BUT THEY ARE NOT SHOT DEAD.

Of course in heavily armed America, no homes are ever robbed, eh ?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow

Originally posted by Dr Conspire

Sure, homes are robbed in Australia, and people assaulted, BUT THEY ARE NOT SHOT DEAD.

Of course in heavily armed America, no homes are ever robbed, eh ?

The percentage of homes robbed with secure screens and deadlocked doors is far less than homes defended by flimsy screens and flimsy locks?
Similarly you will find robbers crims thugs will target homes that are likely not to containa firearm....it is called casing a joint in Oz.
Similarly homes that have cctv and alarms are burgled far less than homes that rely on the fingers being crossed.
Look at the civilains executed raped tortured in th efirst days of forced invasion, they were all defenceless.
In Port Arthur the security guard was unarmed?
So were the people who watched helplessley as Martin Bryant laughed and casually put another magazine in his rifle and shot peoples wives and husband and chased a girl not seven years old and shot her dead as she cowered behinda tree.
The thugs the Phsycopaths the criminals th einvaders will always have Guns,its just now the sane are defenceless.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Thanks Tony for your post, you give me hope. other comments about guns from Aussies on here, please read for your own sake

Wally

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
The very simple facts speak for themselves.

Over six and a half times as many Americans (per 100,000) are shot dead than Australians.

That is all there is to it.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by auswally
Thanks Tony for your post, you give me hope. other comments about guns from Aussies on here, please read for your own sake

Wally

Wally, America has a totally corrupt political and legal system, the country is completely bankrupt, and most Americans are obsessed with the use of deadly force as the universal solution every single problem.

We don't have those problems here, but that is just beyond the comprehension of most Americans.

When America finally explodes into revolution and martial law, Americans will be asking what are you Aussies doing about your FEMA camps and the tanks on the streets.
They just cannot comprehend that Australia is on the other side of the world, and a completely different place, and that things are very different over here.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Just to clarify the Original Posters quote on the email that was going around:

It has now been 16 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own Government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars - snip -

The Act for the National Firearms Implementation Program was drafted on the 21st April 1994 - the Amnesty for the Firearm buy back started on the 24th May 1996 (2 years later) and the Amnesty lasted through to September 1997, though the laws pertaining to firearms started in September 1996.
Source: www.comlaw.gov.au...
So in actuallity the firearm law has been in operation almost 14 years.
The OP email is old, due to its reference to the beginning sentence ... 'it has now been 16 months'.

If you google the first line of the email, you will find a long list of posts which are using this information unaware of the date when it was written, when it was posted, and when it was updated from the seemingly original source - the updated post was 2007, so it could be understood that this update on the post is the date people think the post was made. Some of the posts have the number of months altered ....

There was also a clarification of the statistics in the email which showed that the rates of crime by gun (in cateregories) had essentially fallen, and that there were some stats which were disproportional - such as a
300% rise was actually refering to the State of Victoria (population 1997: 4 million +) 7 firearm related homicides in 1996 increased to 19 firearm related homicides in 1997. The percentage increas was actually 171%. But the rate of firearm homicides overall Nationally over the years in average, fell. The firearm statistics are also found in different categories and some dont include suicides. The last survey I could find was 2005, but doesn't submit the numbers inclusively over a number of categories. Though most rates fell in the categories.

The article and reply can be found here -
www.snopes.com...
but it is has been edited in 2007 - but the body of the article/blog/reply post is basically in tact.

Cheers
Smiggle

[edit on 28/4/10 by Smiggle]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by auswally

Wally

NO one is saying guns do not kill, YOUR SIGNATURE TALKS ABOUT DISCERNEMENT IN DARKNESS, have you seen what happens to people who are unarmed, when confronted with Phsycopathic armies or individuals?
Its all now unclassified subscribe to Foxtel and watch the history channel, you are missing entirely the point of being armed and having the means to defend yourself and your family, tell me Aussiewally did the diggers go to Gallipoli without guns mate?
Some of the Russians did in their first counter thrusts against the Germans, guess what those who had no guns all died, but I guess its better to leave your nation without guns , and believe thye invaders when they come will repect you an dleave your family unharmed.
ASk the Chinese who died by their millions at the hands of a militarised Japan, ask the endless dead of POland during ww2 and after.
IF someone comes on your land and wants to rape your wife tellme mate what are you going to do if they have a gun or a knife or are just lethal full stop and you are middle aged and flabby and wush no on eno harm so are complacent?
Tell alll of us here what are you going to do to protect lawfully your owns life and your own life?
Phsycopaths have no consideration for the fairness the decency of things.
I want to hear how you will defend yourself you are telling us all we should examine our replies , you elighten us.
How do you stop a stronger person with no mercy from killing you and your own if you are defenceless?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Thanks Smiggle.

Another point, is that the gun debate went on for YEARS, before the government finally decided to do exactly what "we the people" wanted them to do.

We all handed in our guns voluntarily, and since then, the vast majority of Australians are completely happy with the result.
There was never any gun confiscation.

There is absolutely nothing to stop any Australian from starting up a "Shooters Rights" political party here in Australia, making private gun ownership their main political plank. If it was a popular view, someone would have done it.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Conspire have you seen what happens to people who are unarmed, when confronted with Phsycopathic armies or individuals?

To me psychopathic armies of individuals describes the American public perfectly.
You are arming yourselves as protection against other Americans.

We don't have anything like that to worry about here.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
if there's so many psychopaths on the loose, why would you allow them gun ownership in the first place. These laws can prevent someone like that from owning or acquiring a gun through normal means as well.

fighting fire with fire is not the only answer for the defence of the innocent, it's not a war zone here and doesn't require absolute high powered or hidden weapons capable of firing 30+ rounds at a time to be efective.
crime happens wether guns are used or not, get a licience and get a gun, what's the worry then.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Reply to post by Silver Shadow

There was never any gun confiscation

So what happened to the individuals who didn't want to "voluntarilly" hand their guns in? Surely there were one or two who didn't approve of the measure? Nothing is 100% supported by the people. There is always a dissenting view.

Since it was voluntary I assume they were permitted to continue ownership and use unhindered by the parameters set forth by others?

Or is it voluntary in the sense that you can choose to comply or you can choose to be fined or jailed or have your property confiscated? The later typically being governments idea of voluntary.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

There was never any gun confiscation

So what happened to the individuals who didn't want to "voluntarilly" hand their guns in? Surely there were one or two who didn't approve of the measure? Nothing is 100% supported by the people. There is always a dissenting view.

Since it was voluntary I assume they were permitted to continue ownership and use unhindered by the parameters set forth by others?

Or is it voluntary in the sense that you can choose to comply or you can choose to be fined or jailed or have your property confiscated? The later typically being governments idea of voluntary.

Sure, probably quite a few people still have illegal guns salted away. Just as many people do illegal drugs or break traffic laws.

It was voluntary, in the sense that during the one year amnesty period people could either sell, hand in, or destroy, weapons that were not needed or would soon become illegal.

Anyone that has a genuine use or need for guns could still keep them without any problem. The whole idea was to reduce the number of SURPLUS weapons in the community that might readily fall into the wrong hands.

But there was never any search and seizure or confiscation as such.

[edit on 28/4/2010 by Silver Shadow]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
[I]reply to post by Dr Conspire

NO one is saying guns do not kill, YOUR SIGNATURE TALKS ABOUT DISCERNEMENT IN DARKNESS, have you seen what happens to people who are unarmed, when confronted with Phsycopathic armies or individuals?

Sorry Doc where do you live, I live in West Aus, this don't concern me. and I am serious, end

tell me Aussiewally did the diggers go to Gallipoli without guns mate?

you are kidding me mate. Its what they died for my friend to have freedom and respect, or have you lost that. those men would turn in their grave even thinking that all Australians would bare arms, you my friend need to read

As for the rest of your post, I think you need to stop thinking the whole world is against you, please take the time to see life for what it is and be thankful ( if you live in Australia) that the diggers have set up a pretty good place, something you really need too respect when you mention their name

I am no red kneck and nor was my grandfather, god bless his soul

Australia don't need guns, I am not afraid of our government ( they are piss weak anyway) and I don't need a gun in my house, if I lived in the bush maybe I would. which I can apply for a license, what's the problem

Wally

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

So what happens to the people and their guns if they are discovered having them?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
So what happens to the people and their guns if they are discovered having them?

If the person has a current shooters license, and the guns are not of an illegal type, nothing will happen.

What happens in America if the police or FBI discover an illegal substance or contraband on your person, or in your home or vehicle ?

Pretty much the same thing I expect.
You will be charged with some offense, and whatever it is will be impounded as evidence.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   
(Hi silvershadow - thanks for the reply).

Hi all,

I just wanted to also to re-clarify that Australians can owns guns, and they can (in circumstance) own guns for self defense.

Gun laws in Australia were largely regulated state by state - the gun laws became a concern after events such as the 1984 Milperra Bikie Massacre, Hoddle Street Massacre, the Strathfield Massacre, where the main weapons used were firearms, (although knives were also used and kliled people) - from these events some States required firearms to be licensed, and restricted the sale of some types of guns.

At the time of the Port Aurthur Massacres, the state of Tasmania had no such registration law for firearms, and the then Prime Minister John Howard had just been elected. The changes to the Firearms act were already in progress for 2 years and drafted, so when Bryant went on his rampage, it was the catalyst for the implementation of the Act to be Passed and Implemented.
The act was implemented because (as silvershadow mentions, and others) the Nation did debate over it, and it was heated and controversial.

Overall, the Firearms Act does not restrict gun ownership - a person needs to have a 'Permit to Aquire' - and then have the firearm registered under its category to possess and use it.

Firearm Laws and registration (under the Act) has increased the number of guns owned in Australia, not diminished it.

There is an article in Wiki that gives an overall expanded coverage on this topic - the Contention of the Laws gives statistics from both sides for and Against:
Source: en.wikipedia.org...

and yes, there are political parties as well, and they hold seat in government as well: Source from wiki ...

The Shooters Party is a political party in New South Wales that "represent the rights of law abiding firearms owners and users".[58] Its founder, John Tingle, served as an elected member of the upper house of New South Wales parliament, the Legislative Council, from 1995 until he retired in late 2006. The party currently holds two seats in the Legislative Council [59]

Other parties
The One Nation Party in 1997-98 briefly gained national prominence and had strong support from shooters. A number of minor political parties such as Liberal Democratic Party of Australia, Outdoor Recreation Party, and Country Alliance have pro-shooter platforms. The Australian Greens and former Australian Democrats policies are closely aligned with the gun control organisations.

and I submit, there are gun crimes in Australia, and people do self defend with guns and they also kill with guns - just as they do with knifes and other forms of weapons.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
more than likely fined, loss of licience and any guns found consficated and destroyed.
once your licience is taken away from you for any reason, it's not an easy process to get another.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join