It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia Crime since gun control

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Reply to post by Silver Shadow

I'm just trying to wrap my head around how there is no confiscation and surrendering the guns is voluntary yet should you not surrender you arms your property is confiscated and you go to jail.

Seems a bit like double-speak to me.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Originally posted by DaddyBare
You would think they would have put more thought into this law...

I mean look at Mexico... they too have some of the strictest gun control laws in the world... 22,700 KIA to date...
Oh sure the bleeding heart libs blame the US as the source of their weapons but let me say... We normal Americans don't have access to rocket launchers handgrenades or full auto machine guns...

Of course. Everyone knows that rocket launchers and handgrenades and fully automatic machine guns are made best in Mexico!
Is this meant to be a cut on Mexico and Mexicans?
If so, you should maybe read up on the history of Mexico in the 20th century and look at weapons patents for the same time period.
Mexico has manufactured and/or designed many of their own martial arms.

It would seem as though you think that Mexicans are stupid or incapable of manufacturing their own weapons.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Conspire

Similarly you will find robbers crims thugs will target homes that are likely not to containa firearm....it is called casing a joint in Oz.

How the hell is the average home invader going to know whether a household has guns before he invades the home ? ESP ? X-ray vision ?

Good lord some people are stupid on this site...

Other than the above memorable quote, all you've trotted out over several posts is pathetic emotional arguments with the spelling and grammar skills of a 4 yr old...

You've also mentioned how the levels of various crimes have increased out of sight since the gun amnesty, yet haven't provided any figures or sources to back these claims up, or indeed links to said sources...

You're the one making the big claims, so man up and give us links to sources that support your arguments, or you're just singing out of your arse like I suspect...In that case, you'd be smart to quit while you're only this far behind...Further posts on the subject will only make you look even more stupid that you already do...

Frankly, the gun amnesty and subsequent legislation was one of the best initiatives ever undertaken by an Australian federal government...The weapons in question have no place in Australian society save for the police or military and Australia is a much safer place without them...

As several posters have already mentioned, it is easy to get a gun in Australia if you have a legitimate need for one...Get a licence, buy the gun and you're all set...But don't expect to be able to own the latest automatic weapon capable of killing dozens of people a minute...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

If you have a gun it needs to be licenced, ok, if you have a gun and it isnt licenced you will experince the law, whats hard about that , do or do not, not rocket science, really

wally

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Another clarification - the Amnesty for handing in guns was a 'Buy Back' there was a window of over a year where people were paid for their guns when handed in.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Retrovertigo

While not 100% accurate, many criminals do use various means to 'case' a joint before they rob it.
First off, most robbers would rather be a burglar, and break in when you are not home. So they look for signs that you are away first.

How do they decide if you have an armed household?
Same way the a cop decides if you may be carrying a concealed weapon. Telltale signs in the way that one walks or adjusting clothing near the weapon.

Demographics can be useful also. Is the target male or female? Is there a male in the house, men tend to be trained in the use of firearms and are more familiar with them. Age is another factor. Where you shop. Does the person drive a Volvo?(believe it or not!)

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The voluntary surrendering was only for one year during the Amnesty period.
Everyone had a year to decide what they wanted to do, and that includes getting a valid shooters license for any guns owned. The whole thing happened very slowly over several years, there was no haste about it.

But once the amnesty period was up, and you get caught with illegal guns in your possession, you are in trouble.

How much trouble, I guess, depends on the circumstances.
I doubt if just keeping an unloaded gun at home is terribly serious.
But get caught out in public with a loaded gun, or having it while committing another crime is something very different.

Just to give you some idea of how different the Aussie attitude to guns is, take the Cronulla race riots in Sydney.
THOUSANDS of people took part, there was massive public rioting and property damage that went on for several days and nights.
There was plenty of property damage and fighting everywhere, but not a single shot was fired, and nobody was even seriously injured.

en.wikipedia.org...

A similar thing happening in America on a similar scale, it would result in hundreds of people being shot, with scores of deaths. There would be SWAT teams, military helicopters, the works.
It would be an absolute massacre. And after all the death and destruction, people in America would still say guns keep America safe.

We see things very differently.............

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

53 people died during the 92 LA riots. 35 by gunfire. That number includes 8 shot by police. The others were either in commission of a crime by the would-be victim or random events not unlike any other day in the LA area.

The LA 53

6 days of thousands of people rioting creating over a billion dollars in damage.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
so getting back to the original question, has violent crime been dramatically decreased due to the firearm laws? The e-mail I got (which is a regurgitation and a very old one at that) mentions the numbers actually increasing. I am an american gun owner and I have a preconceived idea of what I feel is right with gun laws, but in the spirit of denying ignorance, what is the real deal in Oz?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

tell me Aussiewally did the diggers go to Gallipoli without guns mate?

you are kidding me mate. Its what they died for my friend to have freedom and respect, or have you lost that. those men would turn in their grave even thinking that all Australians would bare arms, you my friend need to read

As for the rest of your post, I think you need to stop thinking the whole world is against you, please take the time to see life for what it is and be thankful ( if you live in Australia) that the diggers have set up a pretty good place, something you really need too respect when you mention their name

I am no red kneck and nor was my grandfather, god bless his soul

Australia don't need guns, I am not afraid of our government ( they are piss weak anyway) and I don't need a gun in my house, if I lived in the bush maybe I would. which I can apply for a license, what's the problem

Wally

If you live in Australia you would know that Aussies are proud to bare arms thats whywe call it the sunburnt country.
On the east side of australia where the psycos live ( they all left WA to let loose on the sane East coast Citizens, many people are shot dead.
Burleigh heads a family hoilday paradise on the Gold coast has had two shooting murders within one hundred metres of each other in the last two years.
Were the perpertators law abiding licensed firearm holders?
The Diggers fought ,they didnt run.....why ? because they had a means to defend themselves and fight.
Nowadays you have teenage gangs beating up grown men and killing them , children lose a father wives lose a husband.
THe thugs are thugs because they can spot those who havent gone to a karate school and they know enough to kill the flabby the happy the trusting.
Iam glad WA is such a peaceful place to live .
May you never have to see the real world.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
In Texas, a family was being robbed in their own home. While the husband distracted the two armed robbers, the wife (who was upstairs) grabbed the family rifle and shot one dead, the other in the leg.
^ The husband and wife were able to protect their two children becausse they owned a gun.

A woman once posted on a different site on how she used to carry a concealed weapon in her purse everywhere she went. When it was illegal to carry the weapon in restaurants, she decided to leave the gun in her car when she treated her parents to dinner at a reseraunt. As fate would have it, the restaurant was robbed that day, the robber killing a number of people --including the girl's parents. She could've saved them if she kept the gun in her purse.

I'm glad I live in the U.S. where the supreme court just applied the 2nd amendment to states. We'll see how it goes... =]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Some anecdotal evidence, the area where I live has seen a number of drive-by shootings, shops being shot up, and shops being firebombed. This is was the result of a bikie turf war which also included an element of ethnic gang violence.

So yes, gun crime still exists and i dont believe that the gun laws have restricted the supply of guns in any meaningful way (i'd bet that i could have a handgun by the end of the week if i so chose). In these cases i dont believe anyone was killed, so it wouldnt show up in homicide figures or anything. But it sure as hell happened.

It was reported in the media but i dont remember a great deal of fuss.

People seem to forget that a great deal of the gun crime in the US is because of gangs rather than lax gun control. As gang behaviour has increased in Australia we have also seen greater gun violence from those gangs.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
I am still very interested in hearing from the people who live with this law. I am very much for protecting our 2nd amendment rights and also an advocate for gun safety. Perhaps I was missing something, but I thought Australia had a mild crime rate compared to the rest of the world. I also have a big issue with not being able to have a gun when 90% of what crawls around could kill you. Some of the spiders there are big enough to need more firepower than a 22LR.

Forgetting the fluff snopes put on this, are these numbers a good representation of the way things are?

I can assure you there is nothing better than living in a society free of guns. That said - there are illegal fire arms in this country - hard to stop. But the argument that guns make a society safer is the most insane Orwellian logic of all time.

It is true that no guns will not necessarily make a guns will make a country perfectly safe- but having guns sure as sht does not make it safer.

The need to have guns to protect yourself from the government is a simplified nostalgic misreading of history. When the time comes for the people to rise up - it will be all the people - nothing will stop that. The guns will already be in the hands of those uprising - the government is made up of people - those same people will revolt. History shows this - even your own. You do not need an armed society in peace time. 30 people were shot in a single weekend a few weeks ago - guns are bad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join