It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Lawmakers: Call In the National Guard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   

CHICAGO -- Two lawmakers who believe violence has become so rampant in Chicago that the Illinois National Guard must be called in to help made a public plea to Gov. Pat Quinn on Sunday to deploy troops.

A recent surge in violent crime, including a night last week that saw seven people killed and 18 wounded -- mostly by gunfire -- prompted the request from Chicago Democratic Reps. John Fritchey and LaShawn Ford. They were joined by Willie Williams, whose son was shot and killed in 2006.

Chicago has had 113 homicide victims so far this year, Fritchey said.

"As we speak, National Guard members are working side-by-side with our troops to fight a war halfway around the world," he said during a news conference in downtown Chicago. "The unfortunate reality is that we have another war that is just as deadly that is taking place right in our backyard."

Fritchey said later that the proposal wasn't a "no confidence" vote toward police.

"I think the police have done a commendable job in fighting this surge in violence, but I also think they could use some well-trained help," he said. "The reality is that (police) department resources are stretched thin."

A message left for Quinn wasn't returned Sunday.

Chicago Police Supt. Jody Weis said he didn't think the National Guard was the best answer, noting that police focus on civilian law enforcement.

Link: Fox News

I'm pretty sure I don't like this.
I know the violence is 'rampant', but is it something that the police can't handle? For God's sake, were already jacking up our police with military style weapons, why do they need the actual military to back them up??

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I dont agree with this either.. Military has no role in Law Enforcement functions. I have seen other states bring in the Highway Patrol / State Police to augment other agencies (Riot in Benton Harbor Michigan, Gary Indiana).

To clear one thing up as I know people will point it out - Posse Comitatus (prevents military from engaging in domestic law enforcement).

The one thing people need to understand is the State Military (National Gaurd) are exempt from this Federal Law because they answer to the Governors of their respective state.

I find it weird though they would ask for National Gaurd troops instead of asking the Chicago Police Department what they can do to increase their resources. It looks to me, IMO, the 2 lawmakers caling for this have alterior motives (pulling troops from Afghanistan under the guise of the state needing help).

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
This really isn't the proper use of the national guard in my opinion and I have to agree that the state troopers should be deployed first. This problem in Chicago didn't just happen overnight situations like this are part of the snowball effect. I would say this is probably the end result of budget constraints and repeated inaction by local authorities.

Perhaps the good folks of Chicago would like their Community Organizer back for a couple of years. His people clearly miss him

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
You ask why we need more boots on the ground, so to speak?

Well this is war don't you know. War against Americans. The drug gangs and other criminal gangs like the government with their financial cartel team have not completely destroyed the US yet.

Therefore, more boots on the ground are necessary. The old military vernacular. If the propaganda cannot destroy the US, if the rampant drug gangs cannot destroy the US, if the financial terrorism cannot destroy the US, if the tempest of never ending war cannot destroy the US, something MUST be done.

Surprisingly enough, my guess that the call for the National Guard to protect our border has not been heeded over the last 20 years, this will be acted on immediately. Why would a country ever protect it's borders? That is nonsense. But if a call goes out to bust some United States of America citizen's heads, I am sure this will be acted upon.

Also surprisingly, where did our current Admin come from? What are the Illinois 2nd Amendment stance for instance?

Here is a nice FAQ showing the draconian statutes in Illinois-FAQ Illinois gun "Statutes"

Here another link-I know it is Wiki, but what the hell.

Here is a nice link to state gun laws by state-Handgunlaw.us

You may ask why I bring up the gun laws. Well looky here. If a citizen is not allowed to carry to protect themselves, who are the only ones with guns?

Chicago crime could be considered directly linked to not allowing citizens to carry firearms.

See this link-Why Chicago's gun law failed.

The U.S. Supreme Court heard oral arguments Tuesday in a case brought by Chicago residents who want guns for self-defense but are barred by the ordinance from possessing them. Judging by the justices' questioning, a majority appeared to be leaning toward ruling the gun ban -- and Oak Park's similar ordinance -- unconstitutional. That is the right thing to do. From The Detroit News: detnews.com...

So tell me again, does keeping the citizens unarmed do anything but cause more crime?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I just received a phone call from an old roommate. Last year he moved out and went to Chicago. Prior to him leaving I warned him about staying away from Chicago and most major cities for that matter, and gave him my entire list for why I wouldn't move. So today he calls me up and his first words are," You know, I don't think there is anything worse than having to call you on the phone and tell you that you are right." He then begins to tell me about the National Guard may be deployed in Chicago.

I agree with other posters. I attribute this spike in crime due to the fact that your average law abiding citizen is not permitted to own firearms. The problem with gun laws are that the law abiding will follow the law. The criminals do not. They are breaking the law anyway, hence why they are "criminals", so why would they follow a gun law?

interesting to also note, the city of Chicago is filled with cameras everywhere. HERE is an AP article titled "Cameras make Chicago most closely watched city.

So with all these cameras available, how is it that you can not catch these criminals? In this case I should say "murders" since the OP's article is in reference to the number of homicides. Obviously these cameras are not doing anything to deter crime, gun laws are doing nothing to deter crime.

If you are one of those people who feel that the Federal Government is over stepping it authority, I urge you to get involved in Politics at the state level. Get involved in politics in your own communities. The fight starts with the States. They must stand up to the Federal Government. So get involved. Know who is running in your area, know what they stand for, look at their voting records, and please do everyone a favor and look at 3rd party candidates and stopped being duped into the 2 party ping pong system.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I see there are calls for the National Guard to be brought into Arizona after the schuffles relating to illegals.

The first moves towards military state begins.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Everyone has got it wrong.

Being as I'm from Chicago (born and raised South Side Irish), let me fill you in on the "violent crime" problems in Chicago.

These same "aldermen" who are saying the violence is out of control are the same ones who hinder the ability of the police to do their job. CPD used to have a task force (think the movie "Colors") that would flood problem neighborhoods with cops. The group was disbanded because of corruption complaints (go figure in Chicago) and racial profiling complaints.

When the cops shoot an armed suspect fleeing, they are investigated to see if the suspect's rights were violated. When children are gunned down in the street, no one ever sees anything. When the CPD pulls over people who look like gang members in a gang infested neighborhood, its profiling.

The people in these neighborhoods need to help the police investigate, not fear retaliation from gang bangers. If you want your neighborhood cleaned-up, start by reporting what you see.

People hate the police, refuse to help them, sue them for every traffic stop and then wonder why the violence in their neighborhood is out of control and the police can't do anything about it.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Aren't there like 5 threads about this already?

I'd really like to discuss the topic...but I already posted in 3 of them...would rather not have to keep checking multiple threads.

top topics

join