It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"South Park" airs censored episode after threat

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
It was definitely CC's decision.

South Park studios said that they had made enough bleeps and visual cuts in the episode and for the moment the episode is not to be shown on the studios website

There are a few news sources around saying that it was their (CC's) decision.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Hmmm... I'm wondering if the episode will be leaked online.

Hopefully yes!

IRM

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I hope so too... Been looking but so far, no luck.
I'm sure some Comedy Central rebel will sort us out with it though.

The thing is it's not even bad or anything? That's what i don't get.

It's not like they mocked his wife or anything or took the piss out of the religion, other than showing how silly it is that it's the only thing in comedy that is off limits and in this day and age that is just pathetic.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Found this video which has him uncensored but it's not live animation, just stills.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Well, when they "showed" Muhammed (first time of this 2-parter) he was censored and they censored Tom cruse after he got injected with "muhammed-goo" so that censoring muhammeds appearence seemed to be planned. Why censoring his name and in the end, dunno of that was because they were forced to or they did that on purpose

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
They may have made changes, though all to add to the satire. South Park has previously redrawn the acceptance lines on culturally awkward topics to paint them in a new light of acceptance through humour.

At the end they beep out Christ and Santa when they are giving their thoughts/moral to the story, very smart. Satire aimed to show the stupidity of censoring, showing the duality of what muslims are asking for.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by relap0]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
First, I am disappointed in CC decision to censor the episode. To be honest I dislike censorship in any form, let me see it and make my own decision.

Second, I can understand devout Muslims being offended by the episode, but how many devout religious people (of any religion) watch South Park, they mock ALL religions equally, actually if anything most modern adult cartoons mock Jesus far more than anyone else.

Which brings me to a question, in the event that a Muslim will be reading this thread.

I know that it is forbidden for a Muslim to depict Muhammed, speak ill of him, etc. I get that part. What I do not understand is that Muslims profess to have the utmost respect for all "prophets" (in quotes as I'm Catholic and do not believe Jesus to be merely a prophet). Yet, the only time when there is outrage over the depiction, satirical or not, is when it pertains to Muhammed. Why? Why is there no outrage when ANY prophet is mocked? It is my understanding that Muslims believe that all religious founders were Muslim and preached the same message, yet the only time there seems to be offense is when it pertains to a prophet only associated with Islam.

Last, I also do understand why any group of people would expect others (those that do not follow their belief system) to follow the rules of their particular religion, especially considering that the US is not a theocracy of any kind. Just to clear it up before it even gets mentioned, I am not talking about hundreds of years ago with divine right monarchies, or the darn crusades, I am specifically talking about 2010. I am not trying to belittle these events, but they are considered lessons learned and no longer considered a point of retribution as many subsequent battles have occured all teaching us the lessons of history.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'd say this is religious extremism at its most insecure.

If radical fundamentalist religious cultists want to express their opinions in public then why can't Southpark?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9251b933d99d.jpg[/atsimg]

Snopes

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I watched last night and was disappointed by the censorship. South Park has always been an equal opportunity offender of parodies; offending every religion, race, ethnicity and sexual orientation at the expense of a good laugh. The fact that they bowed to the threats of the Muslim community is shameful, to say the least.

Oh well, at least they got in a couple of good shots at Tom Cruise! Of course he is just an easy target.

I hope to see the uncensored episode online soon.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
That's a SHAME !!

Why christians, buddhist or even Smith follower (I don't know the name in english) don't want to explode them is a Western market after their prophet where on TV or threat TV creators ?

After that islamists are going to say "we are a peaceful religion... " that's sure it's peaceful to threat someone ! It's a joke ! all prophets were equal in South Park, it's not because they are muslim, it's just because he is the founder of a religion like Krishna, Jesus...

Think about how Jesus is painted in South Park... why no christians threatened South park creators ? Maybe because it's a peaceful religion and openminded...

We should train monkeys to explode themself in Muslim cities.. when they say something against another religion !! In less than a month there will be no market in Middle East, and saddly no monkeys anymore... (Hey I'm not saying muslims are monkeys... if you think so restart reading this paragraph).

Maybe it's because South Park creator were next to the verity, and it's known that verity is bad for fanatics...

At least, you, in the US are not confronted to the growing pressure of islamists... in EU if you don't allow the construction of a minaret you're like a "big racist"... but when you ask to build a christian building in their countries, first you're dead because you even think about that, then you're kicked and to be sure they will be no other attempt, they kill some christians or at least they decrease their rights...

So this South park shouldn't be censored ! even if their prophet is a BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP !

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I went to South Park Studios just now to try and watch the uncensored version of the show like I normally do.

The message from the streaming page said:

"We apologize that southpark studious cannot steam episode 201 at this time.
After we delivered the show, and prior to broadcast, comedy central placed numerous additional audio bleeps throughout the episode. We do not have network approval to stream our original version of the show.

We will bring you a version of 201 as soon as we can"

www.southparkstudios.com...

Only for the Prophet would we get this nonsense.

I am a bit sick after seeing this. No one is off limits but good ol mo

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by hornyana_jones
reply to post by Vicious Jones

now i am convince that people should not have the right to practice any religion. religion should be ilegal...religion kill to many people and create so many wars...

...we should nuke them before its too late

Not to be overtly rude, but your post is hilarious...Ban religion because it kills too many people, and then nuke them before its too late....hahaha, irony

I watched the episode and kind of got the feeling that CC made them bleep Muhammad, and so they decided to bleep the entire ending part with Jesus and Santa Claus. I think they were trying to show how censorship can ruin entertainment to the point where its not even enjoyable to watch.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by CDippa

Originally posted by hornyana_jones

now i am convince that people should not have the right to practice any religion. religion should be ilegal...religion kill to many people and create so many wars...

...we should nuke them before its too late

Not to be overtly rude, but your post is hilarious...Ban religion because it kills too many people, and then nuke them before its too late....hahaha, irony

I watched the episode and kind of got the feeling that CC made them bleep Muhammad, and so they decided to bleep the entire ending part with Jesus and Santa Claus. I think they were trying to show how censorship can ruin entertainment to the point where its not even enjoyable to watch.

As I mentioned earlier, I hope this is what happened. If that was the message they were trying to deliver it was received perfectly and makes sense. If Santa and Jesus had something to say and got censored due to the threats, then the line has been crossed and I would have reason to be extremely upset.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
I'd say this is religious extremism at its most insecure.

If radical fundamentalist religious cultists want to express their opinions in public then why can't Southpark?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9251b933d99d.jpg[/atsimg]

Snopes

That reminds me of the reaction of some Muslims to the pope's remarks:

"How dare you refer to anything Muslim as evil or violent, we'll kill you and attack your churches for saying that"

Rome tightens pope's security after fury over Islam remarks

The Vatican has increased the security provisions for the Pope, Army Radio reported Sunday, a day after an Iraqi insurgent group threatened the Vatican with a suicide attack over the pope's remarks on Islam.

Muslims around the world have reacted furiously to the comments Tuesday by Benedict XVI, in which he quoted from an obscure Medieval text referred to some of the teachings of the Prophet Mohammad as "evil and inhuman."
[sarcasm]Yeah, kill the pope, that will show the world how wrong the Pope was for mentioning any violence or evil associated with Islam. [/sarcasm]

I think Parker and Stone are pretty fearless and would take the death threats in stride that they would certainly receive if they managed to piss off the right clerics. They think it should be ok to make fun of anybody and ask why one religion or person should get an exception. "It's all ok, or none of it is" was the point they made in a previous show.

Too bad Comedy Central doesn't have the nads to support Parker and Stone's courage, I guess nobody want's a repeat of the Muhammad cartoon episode, but bowing to that pressure gives Islam more power than it deserves. If they are going to ban making fun of Muhammad, then why not ban making fun of Jesus too? Something is unfair about the bias.

I missed the episode last night, too bad I can't see it online.

I also hope the uncensored version leaks out somehow.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565

does freedom of speech grant you the right to directly insult , ?

----

in my opinion southpark should be put off the airwaves and be made in to a 3 year university study course, its just a trashy sitcom which rides the waves of foul language with little or non of own ingenuity as far as story telling goes.

censorship is facism. Freedom of speach is democratic.

To censor a show for the sake of a dead, facist dictator is just wrong. The fact that American muslims can get away with this kind of crap is just wrong. Making something out of NOTHING is SO *snip* WRONG!

I cant stress enough how much this disturbs me. Not only because my favorite show was sabotaged by a bunch of backward losers with no sense of humor, but because there are people in the world who honestly believe that this is such a terrible thing. I cant even imagine being so blindly driven by faith that i find any excuse to fight with those whose beliefs dont exactly follow mine.

This is why humanity has been through so much oppression. Christianity used to do the same thing, enforcing in violence their religion and making people follow their religious dogmas. But ya know what? ITS THE 21ST CENTURY! christianity is supposed to be pre-islamic monotheism and of similar nature.... so why do muslims persist in making mistakes that were made over the past 2000 years already?

heres what i think they should do

1. shutup
2. go home
3. mind your business (which is not balanced american cartoons that rip on all religions equally)

Mohammed wouldn't have been the focal point of the episode if muslims weren't so adamant in their need to devolve our species through their unconstitutional censorship(AGHHHHHHHH!!!!!).

This issue has brought out a new intolerance in me for REVOLUTIONMUSLIM or whatever.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by SPACEYstranger]

please don't circumvent the censors
Thanks

[edit on 22-4-2010 by gallopinghordes]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno

does freedom of speech grant you the right to directly insult , ?

Who was insulted by it? I wasn't.

Oh! It was the muslims who were insulted!

Tough beans moose lamb! Don't like our culture, then get the heck out.

you do understand that deliberately making a cartoon with muhamed in it for nothing but an insult /"for laughes" has nothing to do with promoting freedom of speech ?

secondly i didnt know that southpark was that a big part of the american cultural herritage

thirdly you do realize that southpark is braodcasted across the globe and not just in the u.s.

but i guess you summed it up pretty well your self ,

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
looks like some naughty peoples have hijacked the extremist website

www.revolutionislam.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terviseks

Think about how Jesus is painted in South Park... why no christians threatened South park creators ? Maybe because it's a peaceful religion and openminded...

Nope, Christians don't make "dirka dirka (KABOOM)" noises.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

you do understand that deliberately making a cartoon with muhamed in it for nothing but an insult /"for laughes" has nothing to do with promoting freedom of speech ?

secondly i didnt know that southpark was that a big part of the american cultural herritage

thirdly you do realize that southpark is braodcasted across the globe and not just in the u.s.

but i guess you summed it up pretty well your self ,

But again, how was this different than what south park with all religious figures. Good grief, Buddah was doing drugs, Muhammed wasn't doing drugs. In the context of what south part is, what their humor is, I do not see a reason for them to leave out one particular religious figure. The only reason they would, or comedy central has, make a decision to do that is fear of violence.

Submission by omission if you will. And on this show, nothing and no one is safe from their satire. If south park airs in a Muslim country, I'm certain that country has their laws regarding what they air on t.v. and they could always skip that episode, or stop airing the program all together that is their decision.

Is south park a huge part of American culture, no. Is it a top rated t.v. program in a country that promotes freedom of speech and expression? Yes. People mainly view this as a bowing down to the pressure of an extremist group.

edit: change paragraph 2 from decision to their (typing faster than my mind was working)

[edit on 22-4-2010 by searching4truth]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join