It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katla may have erupted.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Or future flashbacks,,,,,da,da,daaadaaaaaaaaaaa (Peter Griffin )

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exv8densez
What the heck is it with these eruption hoaxes lately?

I guess Eyjafjallajokull has excited so many that they are anticipating the others.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Exv8densez]

I found a blog that said Katla erupted. It is actually dated tomorrow. Maybe the guy knows it is going to erupt tomorrow, and so he just post dated his blog. Maybe he knew that tomorrow when Katla blows he will be away from the keyboard so he just went ahead and blogged it today.

Seriously though, I did emphasize that it is from some blog, and I didn't know if it was accurate info.

I still haven't found anyone else saying it, so most likely the blogger made a mistake, or he lives in Iceland and saw it erupting.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
In Europe it is tomorrow
5 AM in the UK mate!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Okay, let's just say Katla did blow her top. What would that mean for the rest of the world? Does anybody know enough about that particular volcano to talk about it?

Of course, I'm also half expecting Godzilla to crawl out of one of those beasties...

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
The only thing I know, and admittedly it is hearsay, is that you know that when you think of Victorian London at Christmas, all covered in snow, all the time, (otherwise known as the mini ice age), was due to these Icelandic buggers. and if true would not be the first time Iceland screwed the UK in recent years!!! yeah cheer for that!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I wonder when the MSM will get bored of these stories!

www.nzherald.co.nz...

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Its just been on the news that scientists are keeping close eye on Katla as they feel there may be a follow up. Kind of looks like theyre expecting it, plus this would explain why the focus is actually bringing people back rather than dropping off those that are going then picking people up to return, this will also explain why the NAVY is involved? Could they have certain info where they know ahead?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Can I be paranoic? i feel that people in the know are hiding something... anyone else feels the same?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Ok, we have some possible action on the Katla cam.

www.ruv.is...

Uh-oh.

Looks like it is blowing, based on the little camera location thumbnail.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

so..... what do you think an eruption looks like because I see nothing at all but a few clouds on the cam you linked.

Maybe you can take a screen shot and circle it?

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

On the webcam, look at the horizon, and almost all the way to the right you see a dark gray streak coming off what I think it Katla if the camera is in fact pointed at it.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
yeh man ive been watching this cam for a while to, glad someone else noticed, on the right it looked like a thundercloud for a long time until i realsied one end of it never came of the horizon and still hasn't

It's weird, i keep seeing offshoots of dark smoke like they are petruding from the horizon faster than the cloud cover is moving into spouts of smoke. I do not know at this stage but eyes on

It's easyily been there for an hour or more

[edit on 3-5-2010 by Mr Zeropoint]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I don't know what to think anymore, regarding what I see on these cameras. Last I heard, this camera (named the Katla cam) was actually turned toward the other E..somethingorother volcano once it started errupting.

SOOOO...it is very likely we are just seeing the current, on-going erruption, NOT Katla. (I hope
)

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Katla is only 30something kilometers form Eyja. What you are seeing is just the volcano that has been active.

Honestly, if you don't see anyone jumping up and down about it at Eruptions or other sites where real Volcanologists hang out, Katla is not erupting. If you want to know what is happening on the ground in Iceland, read the most recent Eyjafjallajökull thread there. There is a volcanologist who lives in Iceland and comments very regularly with updates.

Eyjafjallajökull has had a surge in activity overnight, with a new wave of flight bans following. The plume might be more visible from the Katla cam than it has been in a while.

When the clouds clear you can see a pretty good view of water just pouring off the glacier here:

eldgos.mila.is...

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Which one is Katla? Is it that big mountain in the back with clouds around it?

I think some of the clouds look like they are coming out of the ground.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Please read this thread (around comment 289) absolutely nothing is happening at Katla.

scienceblogs.com...

If you don't live in Iceland it might be best to go to a reliable source before posting that Katla may have erupted. There's a lot going on in these cameras at the moment: plenty of cloud cover, fog/vog (volcanic fog), and a big new ash plume from Eyja. It's really hard to tell what's going on just from peering into a webcam.

I repeat: Nothing happening at Katla. People who live there say so, as do scientists watching this unfold.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by quakewatcher
Please read this thread (around comment 289) absolutely nothing is happening at Katla.

scienceblogs.com...

If you don't live in Iceland it might be best to go to a reliable source before posting that Katla may have erupted. There's a lot going on in these cameras at the moment: plenty of cloud cover, fog/vog (volcanic fog), and a big new ash plume from Eyja. It's really hard to tell what's going on just from peering into a webcam.

I repeat: Nothing happening at Katla. People who live there say so, as do scientists watching this unfold.

true dat

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by quakewatcher
Katla is only 30something kilometers form Eyja. What you are seeing is just the volcano that has been active.

Honestly, if you don't see anyone jumping up and down about it at Eruptions or other sites where real Volcanologists hang out, Katla is not erupting. If you want to know what is happening on the ground in Iceland, read the most recent Eyjafjallajökull thread there. There is a volcanologist who lives in Iceland and comments very regularly with updates.

Eyjafjallajökull has had a surge in activity overnight, with a new wave of flight bans following. The plume might be more visible from the Katla cam than it has been in a while.

When the clouds clear you can see a pretty good view of water just pouring off the glacier here:

eldgos.mila.is...

You can wait for someone to tell you it's erupting, or just watch the webcam, and see for yourself. The camera is obscured by fog or a cloud at this point, but I am monitoring it.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
My point is you can't always trust that you know what you are looking at on the webcam. I could take a picture of my "home volcano" tonight, and post it telling you it was an eruption and a lot of people might believe me - based on the heavy dark clouds that look like they are coming out of the mountain.

People who live here know there's a crazy storm going on and dark clouds tend to hover over the mountain when it's windy like this.

At least once a month, someone has to post in the Yellowstone thread that he/she has been watching the Old Faithful webcam and OMG, the "smoke" is dark! (The steam looks dark sometimes depending on the weather conditions. There's even a little note on the webcam page explaining this.)

I'm not saying you have to wait until the BBC reports it, but at least check in with some local sources first. Jón Frímann and other frequent commenters at Eruptions are a great source, and I'd start there, if you don't see anything try Icelandic media (Google translations are goofy but you'll get the jist of it.) The reason so many people believed the false report that Hekla had erupted was because it has a history of erupting on 20 minutes notice, but Katla would give us some warning.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Quake v. close to Katla

en.vedur.is...=map

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join