It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians spend 41% of their cash on this

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
An article on the front page of Yahoo.ca

VANCOUVER, B.C. - A prominent think-tank that's often critical of government spending policies says Canadian families spend more than two-fifths of their total income on taxes.

The Fraser Institute says its annual Canadian Consumer Tax Index calculated that taxes ate up 41.7 per cent of the average family's income in 2009.

That's up from 1981 when taxes accounted for 40.8 per cent of a family's income, or 33.5 per cent in 1961 when the Fraser Institute first compiled the index well above other items, such as 21% on beer, 17% on Hockey tickets and 8% on tukes and snow shovels.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by airvicemarshal
such as 21% on beer, 17% on Hockey tickets and 8% on tukes and snow shovels.

I wish I didn't read that part. Now i honestly can't take this report or thread seriously.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

God I love Canada!

21% on the best beer in the world, IMHO.

Hell if beer was like that down here in Texas, I wouldn't mind paying the taxes part.

Edit- Awww, no love for canada..... psssssh haters.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by Republican08]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by areyosicker

I wish I didn't read that part. Now i honestly can't take this report or thread seriously.

Yup, I highly doubt that stat is actually correct.

Kind of sad lol

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Either its not accurate, or Canada is exactly how everyone stereotypes it...Eh?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Pfeh. I had thought it would be a combination of poutine and Tim Horton's.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I really honestly thought the op was going to say marijuana
.. Guess not everybody in Canada is a pothead, though

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaytagg
I really honestly thought the op was going to say mayrijuana
.. Guess not everybody in Canada is a pothead, though

Those who say they aren't, are lying
. No, but it is very popular.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
If there is any credibility to this "report", I think it just emphasizes how Canadians don't hate taxes as much as our southern friends. I know American's get taxed lots too, but if they were paying 40% of their income to help pay for someone else's needs, they'd be up in arms! Oh wait, that's what they're trying to do right now!

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I guess this is why Canada is the shizznit with the new era stuff. Also they seem pretty dang cool if I ever saw. They are technologically great also. Also I hear college is free there and free healthcare is cool eh, so that means doctors don't get paid as much but that is America plan on keeping healthcare high and poor death up. Ingenious but I am soo dead.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Don't forget that the taxes Canadians pay include health care costs.

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Your a Fool Canada is way more economically balanced than that S**t hole US OF A. We don't have to worry about thugs, crooked systems ran by corporations. Oh yeah universal healthcare rules.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It's lovely to see govts double dipping with GST taxes on all sales, plus nailing you extra tax for doing two jobs to try contribute twice as much to society.

During my full time work about 30-40% of the time I worked, I was paying the big fat corporate, dodgily booked government. Slave labour by govt and centralised banking systems.

I'm now self employed for good reason.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
What is this a joke?

Lots of taxes... yes if you earn 50k$ +.

Beer... yes but not 21%, this is ridiculous. Also 17% on hockey tickets? Seriously? What a joke... people go to NHL game maybe once every year... if you live in a city where there's a team...otherwise it's once every two, three years minimum...

8% on tukes and snow shovels... I won't even comment on that..

Canadians spend money like americans... house, car, electricity, food, beer, school, hobbies... but they do pay more taxes.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I would like to see a similar study in the US. It would not surprise me if I pay 41% of my income in taxes as well. Income Tax is the obvious easy to measure one, but then there is city tax, state tax, school tax, sales tax, vehicle tax, property taxes, it goes on without end.

I should note however that 40% percent of American households don't pay taxes, and in fact many of them get a check back. So not ALL Americans pay that much.

And nobody knows what the heck will happen when the Healthcare crap goes live.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
the Brits pay 43% in taxes, (not the rich, they hardly pay any) food is about the only thing not taxed, apart from chocolate biscuits, gas is 95% tax, so are tobacco products, beer, wine, spirits. The 17 1/2 % value added tax they pay goes straight to Europe, as for national health care, most dentists are private, which is why a lot of the 'poor' have such bad teeth, much like the American coal miners.
There are five tiers of government in Britain, all want there slice of the action and constantly invent new ways of wasting tax.
starting to rant, so will stop.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Dont know about canada, i reckon that maybe right 21%,because here in uk people spend well over £200 a week end on clubing and drinking ,its £3.50 a pint and 10quid to get in most clubs add a taxi 20quid a macdonalds and you aint much left out of a 300quid wage for most common people well most get like 230quid after tax, around here its pretty poor,also rains alot so pubs are main entertainment in colder weter places,imagine canadians go to indoor bars alot,,.because of colder climate.

[edit on 4/20/2010 by dashar]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I made 55k last year...

They took 660$ every 2 weeks out of me.. and I owe in 900$ this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15,000k paid in taxes and I still owe in.

WTF!?........ I'm actually thought I'd get back some.

Then when I go to the store to buy something, I get taxed again..........

[edit on 20-4-2010 by CanadianDream420]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

It is the same in America. They should just remove income tax, and just raise Sales tax.

That system would work better and tax everyone, even those with out green cards if you catch my drift.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderinghows
Also I hear college is free there and free healthcare is cool

My student loans can assure you that college is not free
Oh if only that were so, universal healthcare is a good time though

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join