It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. plans drive to limit salt in foods

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Ok to me this is just a little much. People of the world, not just the US, need to learn SELF CONTROL when it comes to what they put in their body.

There is some unwritten law that the product you buy must reasonably meet expectations of it's intended use. Food should not kill you. It's rasion d'etre is exactly the opposite.

If a product is found to be dangerous or deadly it should not necessarily be made illegal but some "extra step" should be taken to obtain that product so it is not fed to the mainstream population without them wanting it or even knowing it is there.

This law is not to remove salt from anyone. You can add it and I am sure they will provide it in the restaurants so people who want it can add it.

This is just to safeguard those people who eat in restaurants without the deliberate intention of killing themselves.

A precaution to protect regular people - not dietitians or the health savvy - but ordinary hardworking American from unintentionally dying.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Try adding salt to a slice of bread on your plate, it needs to be mixed in the dough before it is baked.
Bread is a prepared food, and would be affected by these restrictions. You can add salt to sliced cabbage on your plate, it won't turn it into sauerkraut.
Add some salt to the food on your plate, will it turn a slice of fresh pork into a cured ham?

[edit on 26-4-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Try adding salt to a slice of bread on your plate, it needs to be mixed in the dough before it is baked.
Bread is a prepared food, and would be affected by these restrictions. You can add salt to sliced cabbage on your plate, it won't turn it into sauerkraut.
Add some salt to the food on your plate, will it turn a slice of fresh pork into a cured ham?

Now you are trying to say they are permitting no salt in foods and this is misleading and not true. If you believe this perhaps I can interest you in some personal health insurance to protect you from the death panels, another scam running simultaneously with this outrageous and inaccurate suggestion.

People have no idea how much salt they are getting through out the day. May my adopted dad rest in peace....somebody has to tell them.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

They don't have any idea how much salt they are getting if they are illiterate. The numbers are on the packaging.

What's the limit to salt in a product, then? You have people saying that soup has too much salt in it, even the low-sodium varieties. And you are going to tell me that sauerkraut will NOT have too much???? Cured meats, like bacon and ham. Canned fish?
What is the purpose of bringing HCR into this? Why not respond to the point in question, which has everything to do with the OP?

Edit to add: I apologize if you didn't know that a lot of foods require salt in processing and or preservation to make them the foods that they are.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

You don't need to apologize. I know salt is used to prepare lots of things and make things what they are. My friends are chefs. But did you know that iodized salt is deadly? This isn't sea salt we are talking about. When you remove the iodine your body can no longer flush the salt out.

And as for this comment

They don't have any idea how much salt they are getting if they are illiterate.

I suppose "illiteracy" is as good a reason as any other you might come up with to contribute to a persons early death. Ya think?

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
But did you know that iodized salt is deadly?

*sigh*

When are people going to start researching things before making outlandish claims? Iodized salt is not deadly.

Iodized Salt
Iodised salt (also spelled iodized salt) is table salt mixed with a minute amount of various iodine-containing salts. The ingestion of iodide prevents iodine deficiency. Worldwide, iodine deficiency affects about two billion people and is the leading preventable cause of mental retardation. It also causes thyroid gland problems, including endemic goitre. In many countries, iodine deficiency is a major public health problem that can be cheaply addressed by iodisation of salt.

Iodine is a micronutrient that is naturally present in the food supply in many regions. However, where natural levels of iodine in the soil are low and the iodine is not taken up by vegetables, iodine added to salt provides the small but essential amount needed by humans.

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

A slight exaggeration. In large enough quantity table salt will eventually kill you. Stuff that kills you, like even french fries, can be described as deadly. Not as deadly as arsenic but as deadly as say driving fast and not wearing your seat belt. You want to take the chance you are the lucky one?

Here you go Jenna.... research. *sigh* Sorry for the trouble.

en.wikipedia.org...

# Hypertension (high blood pressure): "Since 1994, the evidence of an association between dietary salt intakes and blood pressure has increased. The data have been consistent in various study populations and across the age range in adults."[47] A large scale study from 2007 has shown that people with high-normal blood pressure who significantly reduced the amount of salt in their diet decreased their chances of developing cardiovascular disease by 25% over the following 10 to 15 years. Their risk of dying from cardiovascular disease decreased by 20%.[50]

Consensus Action on Salt and Health (CASH)[74] established in 1996, actively campaigns to raise awareness of the harmful health effects of salt. The 2008 focus includes raising awareness of high levels of salt hidden in sweet foods and marketed towards children

Table salt is iodized salt. You rest.

[edit on 26-4-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Apr, 26 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Moving the goal posts are we? You said iodized salt is deadly and it's not. I've already covered salt and why it's only harmful in excessive amounts, not doing it again.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Sea salt contains Iodine.

Table salt is iodized to prevent goiters, which are caused by the lack of iodine in ones diet.

Iodine deficiency is also the leading preventable cause of mental retardation.

Your blessed government that you trust so much recommends that you intake 150 micrograms of iodine per day.

en.wikipedia.org...

Read up. It is interesting.

Sorry in advance, but I am going to quote you here....

"Here you go Jenna.... research. *sigh* Sorry for the trouble. "

You can rest, I looked it up for you.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Imagine the billions of dollars of profit to be made here. That salt costs money, money the elite would rather have. You don't need salt or money or iodine, you just need to eat the lie that too much salt is being used.

You will still pay for the salt that is being removed, you just won't be able to eat it. The money used to buy the salt to season your food is now going into the bank accounts of the elite.

The elite need to squeeze you for every penny even if it means you have to pay for invisible salt that you can never eat!

Invisible, inedible salt!

[edit on 27-4-2010 by mike_trivisonno]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

And as for this comment

I suppose "illiteracy" is as good a reason as any other you might come up with to contribute to a persons early death. Ya think?
The government has fought wars against many things, illiteracy included.
I hope that their war against tasty food is more of a failure than the rest of their 'wars' like poverty, drugs, Vietnam, etc....

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   

reply to post by Jenna

A slight exaggeration. In large enough quantity table salt will eventually kill you.

This is the most ridiculous argument because every single thing on the market can kill you when consumed in excess.

-- Are you aware that you can die by drinking too much water?
-- Vitamin A is extremely toxic when consumed in large quantities. We better remove this since people *may* not be able to read the dosage instructions....

If the problem in this country is illiteracy, as you mentioned was a perfectly reasonable reason to need more government intervention, perhaps we should take all of the money spent policing our damn food and actually put it towards education.

That way, everybody would be able to read what is already on the back of the packages, and we wouldn't have to pay more for foods as companies try to meet the new and improved "guidelines" and we wouldn't need even more government workers to enforce it!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

And as for this comment

The government has fought wars against many things, illiteracy included.
I hope that their war against tasty food is more of a failure than the rest of their 'wars' like poverty, drugs, Vietnam, etc....

Exactly. Another useless campaign from the "high priests" in Washington, DC.

People do not need to be literate to know how much salt they need. Your body will let you know when salt is needed. Humans managed to get enough salt for aeons and suddenly, now, today, we have somehow become salt stupid and need external guidance from the Salt Lords.

Grabscam!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This is already a done deal.

I am just trying to make people see the sense in it and NOT start to think a huge conspiracy is afoot designed to deprive them of their individual rights.

Rights to what? Eat large quantities of salt without even being aware of it?
Limit is the key word here. What part of "limit" don't you guys understand?

Without question table salt today would not pass the FDA. How safe do you really think it is?

Sorry if I am sabotaging your attempt to rile up a "Salt Party" here but I think this limiting salt in restaurants, can be a very good thing.
Certainly no one will be harmed, they will be better off and no one will even miss the salt. These are the facts and if you'd like to argue those...go for it.

There are those who prefer to instill fear of any and all government intervention these days when truthfully government is the only thing that can and will come between us and those who deal recklessly with our health.
It may not be perfect but contrary to what the opposition is telling you - you are still in the United States and the government still serves the people.

So you keep bringing the boogy man here, and put the salt thief alongside the death panel judges, and all those other fictional characters you have running around your head....and I will continue to do what I do.

....Tell people it is OK. They are better off now. Don't get your heart in a flutter over the jacked up fears these folks are trying to lay on you.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This isn't about whether or not you can put salt on your food...it is about the HUGE amounts of salt added to processed foods and to the food served in fast food chains that go unnoticed by consumers. There are many single serving items on the FF restaurant menus that contain twice the amount of salt a person should consume in a day, and some items contain more than three days worth of salt.

These restaurants have now stopped using saturated fats that cause cholesterol to go through the roof blocking your arteries causing strokes; and limiting the amount of salt will help lower obesity and heart attacks.

Our country is turning into a bunch of manatees where 1 in 4 kids are way over weight. I believe there are conspiracies in the world, but this is not some shadowy oppression going on here. No one is going to tell you that you can't dump a bucket of salt on your french fries, but it will keep the food suppliers from doing it to you without consent.

The reason it will take ten years to bring it down is that the FF restaurants will lose huge amounts of business if people stop buying. But doing it gradually, people in general will not notice. About ten years ago I got on a health kick and cut out most processed foods and fast food. Now, on occasion I have to eat a 'happy meal' every once in a while and I the amount of salt in everything is extremely noticeable!

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

This is already a done deal.

I am just trying to make people see the sense in it and NOT start to think a huge conspiracy is afoot designed to deprive them of their individual rights.

Rights to what? Eat large quantities of salt without even being aware of it?
Limit is the key word here.

....Tell people it is OK. They are better off now.

I don't doubt that it is a done deal.

I am disappointed that there are people like you that have no regard to personal liberties.

I should not be limited to a diet that the government deems acceptable, when it comes to a nutrient that is necessary for life.

It is MY life, not the governments.

It is the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness that I am talking about here, and your wishes are trampling on two of them.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Yeah well I never wanted to wear seat belts and watch all the crap advertised on TV. When you live in a free country you take the good with the less ideal.

Your "rights" are intact. Gimme your address and I'll send you your own huge salt shaker filled with salt to apply on whatever, till your hearts content, or stopped.

No man is an island, though I often wish they were.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Thanks anyway, got plenty of salt. BP is 120/70. I pay for my own healthcare too.

Why don't you do the right thing and opt for my right to buy prepared food that is ready to eat?
Who does it help if I wear my seat belt? Me for one. But the state didn't pass the law to help me.
They passed the law because the insurance companies paid them to pass it. That is who benefits from the law, the insurance companies.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

a nutrient that is necessary for life.

For the record..when I hear people say their doctor tells them to eliminate all salt from their diet, I tell them that is dangerous and BS too. They are referring to a specific type of iodized table salt. Sea salt (in moderation) is harmless, even vital.

Coincidentally today- I heard of a new drug "discovered" by the pharmaceutical industry.
It's tag line is "LOVEZA, The prescription that starts in the sea"

It is likely a designer sea salt for the multitudes of "illiterates" not getting nutrients indeed supplied by sea salt, because they use iodized table salt. Which you say is ok.
Drug ind'y discredits natural things while formulating "cures" out of them behind closed doors. Healthy happy people are an unwanted customer base if you're in the drug trade.

Why don't you do the right thing and opt for my right to buy prepared food that is ready to eat?

Consider it done but THAT does not need to exclude a little concept called Public Safety. Drug and chemical makers also supply ingredients to "pseudo food" corps like Kraft and Cysco. They all work in one big viscous circle to make you unhealthy, depend on their product and keep business coming in to doctors, drug companies, insurers... then they all hire politicians to tell you, the people, it is all about your rights as a consumer.

Dems, (though any regulation is an unpopular stance) remain concerned and have always been a little too wishy washy to do anything pre-Obama so finally shoving a little makes fearful and misinformed people shove back. You don't know there is a fire and you are being led toward the door.

GOP position?
Hell - This is a party platform. You enjoyed that last little Bondage Themed Sex Party? Who do you think put up the moola? Big Insurance, Big Pharma, unscrupulous corporations and Banks.
So - Give the people what they want.

Now I have said all I have to on this salty topic so unless someone begs me back - I won't interrupt the malignant propaganda and fear of govt
you are trying to get going here.

[edit on 27-4-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by inner_sanctum
These restaurants have now stopped using saturated fats that cause cholesterol to go through the roof blocking your arteries causing strokes; and limiting the amount of salt will help lower obesity and heart attacks.

And yet....

Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease
Background: A reduction in dietary saturated fat has generally been thought to improve cardiovascular health.

Objective: The objective of this meta-analysis was to summarize the evidence related to the association of dietary saturated fat with risk of coronary heart disease (CHD), stroke, and cardiovascular disease (CVD; CHD inclusive of stroke) in prospective epidemiologic studies.

Design: Twenty-one studies identified by searching MEDLINE and EMBASE databases and secondary referencing qualified for inclusion in this study. A random-effects model was used to derive composite relative risk estimates for CHD, stroke, and CVD.

Results: During 5–23 y of follow-up of 347,747 subjects, 11,006 developed CHD or stroke. Intake of saturated fat was not associated with an increased risk of CHD, stroke, or CVD. The pooled relative risk estimates that compared extreme quantiles of saturated fat intake were 1.07 (95% CI: 0.96, 1.19; P = 0.22) for CHD, 0.81 (95% CI: 0.62, 1.05; P = 0.11) for stroke, and 1.00 (95% CI: 0.89, 1.11; P = 0.95) for CVD. Consideration of age, sex, and study quality did not change the results.

Conclusions: A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD or CVD. More data are needed to elucidate whether CVD risks are likely to be influenced by the specific nutrients used to replace saturated fat.

Thus my point a few pages back. They change their minds so many times about what's going to kill us and what isn't that it's really rather pointless to go jumping the gun as soon as they say something is bad.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join