It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. plans drive to limit salt in foods

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
Coincidentally today- I heard of a new drug "discovered" by the pharmaceutical industry.
It's tag line is "LOVEZA, The prescription that starts in the sea"

It's Lovaza, and it's made from fish oil.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Since you added to your post with the positions of two political parties, I thought maybe you might want to go a little libertarian.......

Let us INFORMED and LITERATE people enjoy ourselves, if it happens to bother you that we want to eat as we please, ignore us. We are not hurting you.

Peanuts are poisonous to some people, should there be a law against selling peanuts?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Theres actual real genuine salt in American processed food?... I thought it was totally MSG for the most part.

Heh haven't read past the first page but personally given how much 'salt' is in alot of processed food and how much of that food your average American consumes per day id say this is a good thing.

A long as they dont replace the salt with more of that MSG madness... I mean just what do they term as salt (ill have to read the article better).

Good thing, but could be a bad thing in good things clothing. Must admit I find some of the 'ill fight to the death to keep my freedom to kill myself slowly by eating some of the worst crap on the planet' mentality of some of the other posters have as a little bizarre. Its like they consider their perceived freedom more important than their health which is where they are really free.

'I know smoking/eating complete trash is extremely bad for me but damn it ill exercise my right to do so!' its sort of a fanatical self destructive ideology used as a form of reality blinders to the fact they just havent got the will power to just say 'stop!, im gonna take control of what I eat and in doing so become a better human'...

its sad really.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
To all you complainers:
You object to the government stopping preparers from using so much salt.

You are in effect saying that it is OK for Corporation that makes the food to determine how much salt you shall have.

That is OK with you?

How about YOU deciding how much salt you have?
All you have to do is Pick up the Salt Shaker.
YOUR CHOICE!
You do like to make your own Choices, don't you?

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
How about YOU deciding how much salt you have?

I do every time I decide whether I'm buying something pre-made at the store or whether I'm cooking it at home. See? Choice.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ Must admit I find some of the 'ill fight to the death to keep my freedom to kill myself slowly by eating some of the worst crap on the planet' mentality of some of the other posters have as a little bizarre. Its like they consider their perceived freedom more important than their health which is where they are really free.
Going on this quote, you will be perfectly happy with... 1984!

Orwellian lockup in a cell, where the government says you will eat this, not this... perfectly healthy, "which is where you are really free." (paraphrased)

Perceived freedom...... OMG!

[edit on 28-4-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Instead of calling us complainers, why not call us what we really are?

Freedom loving anti-nanny staters!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by OhZone

When I buy prepared baby food I don't want it to be loaded with salt.
I cringe at the thought of what I did to my children when I thought I was doing good. After all, surely baby food should only be the best most healthful and nutritious, shouldn't it?

I fail to see why you think it is OK for such as Campbell's soups to be loaded with salt. They are also loaded with MSG. Even their "No MSG Added" stuff has MSG in it, under the euphamism "natural flavoring".
Why is it OK that they do this?

What if the gov. were to Ban Fluoride in the water, in toothpaste & other products?
Would you complain about that?

Banning salt in prepared foods is the First good thing I have seen government do. And you complain about it. How about they leave it IN your Junk snacks and just take it out of Regular Food?

Now if only they would ban sugar. No more diabetes. Of course I guess there would be a lot of complainers there too........defending their right to become diabetic, get pimples and other maladies resulting from eating lots of sugar.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by OhZone

Now if only they would ban sugar. No more diabetes.
Wow.
I didn't know that curing diabetes was that simple.

Guess what?
I still don't.

Maybe if you could back that claim up......

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

When I buy prepared baby food I don't want it to be loaded with salt.

You have the choice. Make it yourself. I did it for both my kids rather easily with a $15 machine.

I cringe at the thought of what I did to my children when I thought I was doing good. After all, surely baby food should only be the best most healthful and nutritious, shouldn't it?

You have to actually read what's on the packages. Nobody is going to stand over your shoulder at the food store and tell you what should buy. We have spent a lot of money forcing companies to disclose their ingredients and nutritional information -- it is already on the back of almost every product available for purchase.

I fail to see why you think it is OK for such as Campbell's soups to be loaded with salt. They are also loaded with MSG. Even their "No MSG Added" stuff has MSG in it, under the euphamism "natural flavoring".
Why is it OK that they do this?

If enough PEOPLE felt this way, and boycotted Campbells, they would change how they make their products in order to gain back customers. This is how the American people need to empower themselves. We have the control -- most are just not willing or too lazy to use it.

If nobody bought Campbells soup anymore, and there was a collective outcry from the public that it contains too much sodium, I guarantee they would change their products to reflect this. No company gives away profit and/or marketshare willingly.

What if the gov. were to Ban Fluoride in the water, in toothpaste & other products?
Would you complain about that?

Yes! There are already fluoride-free products available. Go buy them. Stop encouraging the Federal Government to make decisions for me when I am quite capable of reading and making the choices myself.

Banning salt in prepared foods is the First good thing I have seen government do. And you complain about it. How about they leave it IN your Junk snacks and just take it out of Regular Food?

Again, go to the store and read the packaging. There is very little sodium in anything you can find in the produce section. You can make your own chips and add or not add as much salt as you want. Make your own baby food. Read the labels.

All of this is already available to you, thanks to government guidelines.

Now if only they would ban sugar. No more diabetes. Of course I guess there would be a lot of complainers there too........defending their right to become diabetic, get pimples and other maladies resulting from eating lots of sugar.

Well, yes, and if the government declared that Americans could only purchase rice, beans, and water -- we would all be the epitome of health. But then, they would resemble North Korea and not the United States.

Please, take back your power. Stop giving it away.

We, the people, have the power to change how companies do business by our retail spending habits.

Look at the green movement -- no government mandates were necessary to make companies produce these products. Rather, sales were sky-rocketing which was an indication of what the American public wants.

So what do you we have now? More green and Earth-friendly products than ever before all at competitive prices. That is the American way!

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

This is a person that doesn't realize there are two types of diabetes:
Type 1 and Type 2.

You can ban sugar and label it poison and there will still be people with diabetes.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemonkey

yeah because that has worked wonders in the US... there are hardly any fat/unhealthy people.

Fat people are fat on their own. Unhealthy people are unhealthy on their own.

But, apparently unknown to most Americans, fit/healthy people are fit/healthy on their own. Go figure!

We don't need government telling companies what to do. We need people being smart enough to make that company fail miserably if said company doesn't meet society's standards. If the mob ins't smart enough to do that, then they deserve everything they get.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Butcherguy, I didn’t say that banning sugar would cure diabetes. Too much sugar is the cause of diabetes.
Read The History of Health – a Chronology.

www.relfe.com...

Lpowell, so you are defending the big food processors right to poison you will all the excess salt, MSG and various chemicals. And for those who must eat and cannot or will not make it themselves that’s just too bad. They should go ahead get sick and support the med/pharma cartel. And then die – population reduction. So we weed out the genes that can’t handle the poisons and kill them off at the same time. Eugenics in action and being defended by the sheople too.

Read the labels you say. Fine, I do. Now maybe you know of some prepared food that does Not contain salt or MSG or other chemicals. If so tell me which ones they might be.
Do you think that it is good that Baby Food should have so much salt in it?

Maybe you didn’t know that FDA requires a certain amount of Chlorine Residue remain on Chicken after it has been washed in it? And maybe you didn’t know that Chlorine is a known Carcinogen.

Read labels, fine….sure cuts choice when it comes to making meals. And if that is not bad enough all fresh veggies and fresh meat are also contaminated with various poisons.
Hydrolyzed proteins/amino acids/glutamate as in MSG is now used as a plant growth regulator/stimulant, as well as a fungicide. Good you say? Now you have taken choice away from even those who make their own from scratch. More Eugenics in Action and defended by the sheople.

There are people who are highly sensitive to MSG/glutamate and other free amino acids.
Maybe you would like to suggest what they might eat?

Even Organics are now soused with this stuff. Maybe you do not know that Glutamate is a Neurotoxin.
Maybe you do not know that the symptoms of Glutamate Poisoning are the same as those for Pesticide Poisoning. You might want to satisfy your curiosity by googling those terms.

Why can’t we just have pure food in its natural state –ad seasoning to taste? You seem to like someone else to season it according to their taste.

Arcane, isn’t it obvious that people are not smart enough to figure out to eat healthy.
They figure that if something was bad, that it would not be allowed. (by the government) Government does tell companies what to do. Where have you been? They have set the standards for all the food you eat, and almost all of everything else you buy.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

isn’t it obvious that people are not smart enough to figure out to eat healthy.

And since you're so much smarter than other people, you should get to say what people can eat right?

Once again we're back to personal responsibility and choice. If I eat a pound of sugar a week and the saltiest food I can buy at the store, how exactly is it affecting you? Does your health suffer because of my food choices? Do you get diabetes if I eat a snickers? Do you have a heart attack if I dump an entire salt shaker on my food? No? Then why do you care?

You think people are stupid for eating processed foods. I think paying extra for "organic" food that is no more nutritious than non-organic, still has pesticides on it, and that I could grow in my back yard if I really wanted to is stupid and a waste of money. But if that's what you or someone else wants to waste their money on, it's not my business to tell you not to. Just like it's not your business to tell someone else they shouldn't buy that box of chocolate-covered chocolate balls if they want it.

You don't like processed foods, great. Don't buy it. No one's forcing you to. You take responsibility for your own food choices and let everyone else take responsibility for theirs.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I can't believe this is still going on.

If children are being raised by unfit parents - is the government wrong to take those children elsewhere and put them in a foster home with loving parents?

I don't understand why this is such an issue.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Jenna, I'm in no way saying you should not buy all the junk food you desire. If that's what turns you on, have at it.
But you want to have Solt in eveyrthing as prescribed by the processors of the food.
Your choice?
Do you really have a choice?
The salt is already in the food when you buy it.
So where exactly is your choice?
Your choice really is, take it or leave it, itsn't it?

Now then, How about my choice?
I don't have any.
I'm a glutamate sensitive and have very low tolerance for anything containing it or regular table Salt.
Seems I became sensitized when I ate one of those Oriental dinners with a big tub of MSG loaded soy sauce in it. Probably GM soy beans at that.
I also react to the Citric Acid made from GM corn.

So by the thinking of all you here I and others like me should drop dead, starve to death, or die painfully from the effects of Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid and MSG. We'll be out of the gene pool.
Like I said, Eugenics in action.

You all are likely the same ones who are against said Eugenics.
You never thought it would be applied so subtily, did you?
And here you are defending it.
And you are playing along with it.

Go to www.msgmyth.com...

[edit on 3-5-2010 by OhZone]

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

1.I like to eat the occasional pack of chips, or other savory snacks as a treat
2.It has gotten to a point where i get a sore mouth from a handful and find the saltiness so overwhelming i cannot continue to eat them
3.this was not a problem in the past
4.i called one company to complain and the operator who sounded like a 12 year old girl told me in a patronizing tone that other people liked them how they are.
5.I would like to actually be able to eat snack foods again one day.
6.They just do it because salt is sooooooooooo much cheaper then real flavours such as herbs and spices.
7.they have to do it gradually because people are so accustomed to salty tastes that if it was reduced in one stage people would not like it anymore.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

That is the choice. I can buy it, make it myself, or buy a different brand with lower salt or whatever in it. It's not like there's only one type of chip out there, or one type of whatever food you care to name. There are multiple brands of everything and they don't all use the same levels of salt and sugar in their products. I swear, people are acting like the only options on the market are "ton of salt" and "now with added salt".

Let's pretend for a moment that we were talking about peanuts and that I was allergic to peanuts while you think they're the greatest nut ever. Should I have the ability to tell you that you can't eat peanuts anymore or to tell companies that they can't use peanuts anymore just because I can't have them? Wouldn't you think I was being a little bit extreme in my quest to prevent anyone else from having a peanut just because I couldn't eat them? What if I was allergic to wheat? Should I be able to prevent companies from using wheat just because I can't have it? The concept here is the same.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Butcherguy, I didn’t say that banning sugar would cure diabetes. Too much sugar is the cause of diabetes.

You said this...www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just what were you saying if I have it wrong?
No more diabetes. Wouldn't that be cured if it didn't exist any more?

[edit on 4-5-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

Let's pretend for a moment that we were talking about peanuts and that I was allergic to peanuts while you think they're the greatest nut ever. Should I have the ability to tell you that you can't eat peanuts anymore or to tell companies that they can't use peanuts anymore just because I can't have them? Wouldn't you think I was being a little bit extreme in my quest to prevent anyone else from having a peanut just because I couldn't eat them? What if I was allergic to wheat? Should I be able to prevent companies from using wheat just because I can't have it? The concept here is the same.

Jenna, I really do not care about your chips. Didn't I make that clear?
They could be 50% sodium- I do not care. However I do care about real food and baby food that is overloaded with salt to the point of tasting bad.

Make it my self -sure - I already explained that too. As to the baby food-I was young and trusting at the time and thought that what came in those little jars had to be better than anything I could make.

Look Jenna, you are going pretty far afield there. You cannot compare the base food with an additive. Obviously no one could add wheat to their bread, but they can add Salt to their soup---as much or as little as they like - providing that it was not overloaded already.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join