It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. plans drive to limit salt in foods

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
reply to post by butcherguy

Well, I'm just glad the government has limits on the amount of human waste that is in my drinking water. How about you?

[edit on 21-4-2010 by ALLis0NE]
I think we are talking about salt, a nutrient. Human waste may count as a nutrient for you, but not for me!

Have you had your tap water checked lately, might just find some fecal coliform bacteria in there, missed by our highly efficient government.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I got and article about corn syrup that could make your mind about its role in child obesity in the nation.

This Addictive Commonly Used Food Feeds Cancer Cells, Triggers Weight Gain, and Promotes Premature Aging

This additive is Corn syrup

And look at how much of this sugar we are consuming today compare to regular sugar we used to consume years ago.

The single largest source of calories for Americans comes from sugar—specifically high fructose corn syrup. Just take a look at the sugar consumption trends of the past 300 years:[1]

•In 1700, the average person consumed about 4 pounds of sugar per year.

•In 1800, the average person consumed about 18 pounds of sugar per year.

•In 1900, individual consumption had risen to 90 pounds of sugar per year.

•In 2009, more than 50 percent of all Americans consume one-half pound of sugar PER DAY—translating to a whopping 180 pounds of sugar per year!

Then we most wonder how truly good is this unnatural sugar to our health.

articles.mercola.com...

[edit on 21-4-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

See? That's what I mean. That article tells you it's bad, but I found this study's abstract on a government site saying that there isn't a definitive link between corn syrup and obesity. It's all just a big confusing pile of crud and it's like that with every food or food additive that they say is bad.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Well, from whom its coming from? from the same people that is telling that food manufacturing is good for our health.

As always money talks and Bs walk.

But the truth is in the pudding.

I take natural sugar anytime over any synthetically manufactured one.

After all I grew up surrounded by fields of sugar cane and drank sugar cane juices and molasses as a child.

I was considered too skinny for my age, so said the doctor.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99

Originally posted by Jenna

It's not the governments job to tell me I can't eat something because I may or may not develop heart problems from it. It's my job to decide whether I really should eat that bag of chips knowing that it's not going to do anything positive aside from make my stomach feel full.

Well many people can't make that decision. Well, they could but they don't feel like it. Those are the people that are going to make the healthcare premiums sky rocket for most Americans.

The people did make the decision. They chose to eat something knowing it would just make their stomachs feel full. You just don't like that they didn't choose the way you wanted them to choose.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
The problem with "educating people around you" is it requires me simply to read to them. This is not a situation where the information is not already there. It is.

And if you are going to make the argument that people are "too busy to read", I think we have bigger problems in society than salt.

It has nothing to do with being busy, and everything to do with being lazy.

Maybe some people are just tired of being told what to do.

I know I sure am.

Most the foods these days are GM garbage anyway, so it doesn't matter much anymore. Even the fruits and vegetables aren't always safe to eat.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
If you can't read a food label (i.e. sodium, saturated fat) you're an idiot. And the fact that the government has to waste resources in dealing with these idiots is sad indeed...

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner
If you can't read a food label (i.e. sodium, saturated fat) you're an idiot. And the fact that the government has to waste resources in dealing with these idiots is sad indeed...

So if you have bad vision and can't read small print, or are dyslexic and can't understand what you're reading you're an idiot? See why broad generalizations don't work?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

To anyone who is taking this as an act of war by the government - I think you should really get to the crux of what this is about. Its about cutting down sodium intake levels in the the US population. If you're against it - obviously a previous post by someone talking about fat idiots must of struck a nerve.

And Jenna - if you re-read my last post - I'll think you'll find you didn't catch the metaphors...

Sodium can calcify parts of the brain.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna

So if you have bad vision and can't read small print, or are dyslexic and can't understand what you're reading you're an idiot? See why broad generalizations don't work?

Nope.

I think anyone with half a brain knows that a diet of Cheetos and McDonalds is not good for you.

My beef? With all that is going on in America today, this is all they have to do? This is as idiotic as congress investigating steroids in baseball.

How about getting the hell out of Iraq and Afghanistan, balancing the budget, dealing with the trade deficit with China, and THEN, after bigger problems are taken care of, deal with salt in my diet.

Take a look at the approval rating of government right now. It's # like this that leads to it....

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Darkrunner]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

My beef? With all that is going on in America today, this is all they have to do? This is as idiotic as congress investigating steroids in baseball.

No arguments from me there. This is yet one more asinine thing the government would rather focus on instead of things that are actually important. I was just pointing out that not being able to read the ingredients list on a package doesn't make someone an idiot.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

And lack of sodium can lead to a coma. What's your point? Nothing in excess is ever a good thing whether it's salt, sugar, or even regular old milk. That doesn't mean you just cut it out completely.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

jenna you're arguing with a marxist.

marxism and freedom are not bed partners.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Ahh, well that explains it. No more exercises in futility for me then.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Jenna]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I would say a salt/potassium mix wouldn't be so bad. Lite salt is like this.

I truly don't know if table salt is really all that bad for you. But I know there are better forms of salt. Again sea salts, and cells salts.

Your body apparently needs salt, like has been mentioned. Electrolytes folks. This is part of why gatorade does so well. But, I'm sure there is a point where you can get too much salt. There probably is some sort of optimum ratio and balance of salt and potassium.

You can banish a headache on a hot sweaty day with salt and potassium. But, I don't remember the ratio.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
And putting regulations on highly salty foods is a good thing.

They're not banning salt.

They are putting a cap on over-the-top junk food sodium-addiction-delivery-vehicles.

Anyone who cant see the benefits it that, it is they who are the true idiots.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

You are wasting your time.

Everyone, please eat as much salt as you want. Show the government that you will not succumb.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I would prefer if the gov. banned melamine,
now that would be constructive.
And how about propylene glycol, fluoride, mercury
etc., I sure DON'T what to be ingesting those (regaurdless
of the levels the gov. says is safe.).
STUDY : tested umbilical cords of new born americans,
found nearly 300 chemicals, including BPA, perchlorate,
fire retardants, lead, mercury, and PCBs.
That is unacceptable, salt is the least of the problem !

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ToneDeaf

Just cause there are more dangerous chemicals and more productive things the government could do, does not negate the fact that: this particular move is a good thing.

The End.

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
I can't believe so many people are so opposed to this. "OoOooh ObSama iz comin 2 getz M3!!".

Like some people have said. If you want a high sodium diet, carry a salt-shaker in your pocket.

You get all the salt you need from natural sources such as:

~mg of sodium per 100g

• Apple, raw unpeeled 1
  • Apple juice, bottled 1
  • Asparagus, cooked 1
  • Avocado 4
  • Bacon, cooked 1021
  • Bacon, canadian 2500
  • Banana 1
  • Barly, pearled 3
  • Beans, Lima 1
  • Beans, snap green, cooked 4
  • Beans, white common, cooked 7
  • Bean sprouts, cooked 4
  • Beef, roasted broiled or stewed 60
  • Beef, corned 1,740
  • Beets, cooked 43
  • Blackberries 1
  • Bluefish, cooked 104
  • Bread 300 to 500
  • Broccoli, cooked 10
  • Brussel sprouts, cooked 10
  • Cabbage 20
  • Cantaloupe 12
  • Carrots 40
  • Cashews, unsalted 15
  • Cauliflower 10
  • Celery, raw 126 (cooked 88)
  • Cherries, Raw 2
  • Chicken, cooked, without skin 60 to 80
  • Chickpeas, dry 8
  • Chicory 7
  • Chocolate, plain 4
  • Clams, raw soft 36
  • Clams, hard, round 205
  • Cocoa, dry 6
  • Coconut, fresh 23
  • Collards, cooked 25
  • Cranberry juice or sauce 1
  • Cucumber 6
  • Dates 1
  • Duck 74
  • Eggplant, cooked 1
  • Egg, whole, raw 74 (whites 152, yolk 49)
  • Figs 2
  • Flounder 78
  • Flour 2
  • Grapefruit, fresh, canned or juice 1
  • Grapes 3
  • Heart, beef 86
  • Herring 74
  • Honey 5
  • Honeydew melon 12
  • Lamb, lean 70
  • Lemon, juice or fresh 1
  • Lettuce 9
  • Lime, fresh or juice 1
  • Liver, beef 184
  • Liver, pork 111
  • Lobster 210
  • Mushrooms 14
  • Nectarine 6
  • Nuts, in shell 1 (processed nuts may contain high amounts of salt)
  • Olives, green 2,400
  • Onions, green 5 (mature 10)
  • Orange peeled, juice, canned or juice 1
  • Oysters, raw 73
  • Papayas, raw 3
  • Parsley 45
  • Parsnips, cooked 8
  • Peaches 2
  • Peanuts, roasted 5 (salted 418)
  • Pears 2
  • Peas, cooked 2
  • Peas, dried 40
  • Peppers, green 13
  • Perch 79
  • Pineapple, raw or canned 1
  • Plums 2
  • Pork 65
  • Pork, cured ham 930
  • Prunes 4
  • Radishes 18
  • Raisins, dried 27
  • Raspberries 1
  • Rhubarb 2
  • Rice, dry 5
  • Salmon 64
  • Scallops, 265
  • Shrimp 150
  • Spinach, raw 71 (cooked 50)
  • Squash 1
  • Strawberries 1
  • Sunflower seeds 30
  • Sweetpotatoes 12
  • Tomato 3
  • Tongue, beef 61
  • Tuna in oil 800
  • Turkey, 82
  • Turnips 34
  • Veal 80
  • Walnuts 3
  • Watermelon 1
  • Yoghurt 46

Eating a proper balance of natural foods, and maybe sprinkling a bit of sea-salt on your meat and you're all good to go. It's not #ing hard, but because we're all idiots from uncle sam and capitalism, I think the government should gave guidelines and minimum standards for food producers. This is a drop in the ocean of what needs to happen.

[...]

It all depends if the decisions being made are benevolent or malevolent in nature. I'm not sure swearing should be on that list, but high-sodium levels in food should definitely be on it.
[...]

XL5

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Helig, how dare you! How could you link a Demolition Man clip in a thread like this and not include this one! Think of the children!

www.youtube.com...

When the govt. puts the food they deem healthy on my table for free when and if I want it, they will see a change, but untill then, force is not the answer. In times like these with people questioning the govt., they NEED to make us feel like we depend on them.

Sometimes a company will use salt as a preservative instead of using a chemical you have never heard of to save costs and be more natural. If I had a choice between salt and sodium benzoate, I would choose salt, it will not cause cancer.

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join