It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally seen an SR71!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Hi All,

I was at a car show at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford today, whilst there I had a wander around the exhibits, Unknown to me, when I walked into the American Air Museum Hangar, they had a SR71 in there!

Ever since seeing a picture of one many years ago, I've hoped to see one in the flesh someday, and today was that day

It truly was/is an awesome machine!

i81.photobucket.com...
i81.photobucket.com...
i81.photobucket.com...
i81.photobucket.com...
i81.photobucket.com...
i81.photobucket.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Yea Duxford is awesome. I am stationed at Mildenhall and we got to go there when I first got to my duty station. It is pretty beasty huh

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Cool, huh?!

I've seen this one:

San Diego Aerospace Museum

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Very mean but cool aircraft.

What is it with the snakes though

i81.photobucket.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
When i was a kid i had a model of one of those things!

I loved it and used to play with it alot.

Nice to see some cool pics of it, i had totally forgotten about it, brings bak some nice memories from back then thanks

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Impetus
When i was a kid i had a model of one of those things!

I loved it and used to play with it alot.

Nice to see some cool pics of it, i had totally forgotten about it, brings bak some nice memories from back then thanks

I bought my god son a transormer that turns into an SR71. I tried to explain that it was the fastest plane ever and used to spie on people,, he'd broken it by bed time, they dont make em like they used too. transformers that is

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ukmicky1980

what will make you think is that this airframe flew in Vietnam and was decommissioned in 1990. We didn't really hear about it's existence until the 80s. Knowing they wouldn't stop using something until they had a better than original replacement, what is phasing out the F-117A and the B2? I am sure it's been flying for a few years.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Really great pics!
Wish we could see that thing in flight again someday.

reply to post by Wide-Eyes

This may not be the reason, but I understand that the SR-71 was often referred to as the snake.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Nice pictures and congrats on seeing an SR71 up close.

I was lucky enough to see a flyby at Travis Air Force Base in the early
80's. Nothing has ever rattled my brain and teeth like a SR71 in full
afterburner headed away from a low pass on route to 50,000 ft.
We couldn't see it but could still hear it.
An unforgettable experience.

My two year old, on my shoulders, should of had earplugs...
he screamed like... a baby.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by hangdiver]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Once while I was still a military officer I had the honor of seeing the SR-71 come to my base. It landed at dusk, and roll right off the runway and into a hanger. The doors were immediately closed and only a few priviliged base people were allowed inside. I dealt with the aircrew, so I was able to come somewhat near to the aircraft. It was quite an experience!

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It just amazes me on how much it resembles one of the crashed UFO's in TX.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Now we know why all the public schools are closing and bake sales are the main fundraiser tools for education....

Go SR 71!!

haha. Big phallic deal.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dogdish
Cool, huh?!

I've seen this one:

San Diego Aerospace Museum

I got to go there too and see the Sr-71 they had. It seems a shame that the salt air is slowly destroying the old beast.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Still looks badass. It's hard to believe it's late 1950's technology. Makes you really wonder what they are "pushing the envelope with" now. Nice photos.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
There is one sitting on the flight deck of the Intrepid Museum in NYC. It has been there for a few years now. I have been obsessed with them since I was a child. I still have numerous models about my house; on shelves, hanging and wherever else I can fit them. Whenever I see a new one, I pick it up at once.

A truly incredible air plane. Now just think about it, that was developed in what, late 70's early 80's. The F-117 was being built in secret in the 80's and we knew nothing of it until the 90's? Imagine what they are working on now!!

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Over at Eglin AFB they have a Museum by the highway and they have a bunch of planes just sitting there out in the open. Here is a layout map.

www.afarmamentmuseum.com...

If you hold your mouse over each of the planes on the map you can see a photo. They even have a MOAB prototype sitting there.

You can pretty much stop by whenever and take a look.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by DJM8507]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
...What is it with the snakes though

i81.photobucket.com...
I think you may find this revealing:

In later Antiquity the caduceus might have provided the basis for the astrological symbol representing the planet Mercury and in Roman iconography was often depicted being carried in the left hand of Mercury, the messenger of the gods, guide of the dead and protector of merchants, shepherds, gamblers, liars and thieves.[1][2]

Source

[edit on 4/18/2010 by abecedarian]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

And to think that was hardcore black tech back then, who knows whats in the works now!

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
Very mean but cool aircraft.

i81.photobucket.com...

The snake is the Habu, a snake native to Okinawa, and during early operations out of Kadena locals gave the nickname to the aircraft and it has stuck ever since - the aircraft is known as the Habu to its crew and engineers.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acid_Burn2009
There is one sitting on the flight deck of the Intrepid Museum in NYC. It has been there for a few years now.

Actually, thats an A-12, not an SR-71 - different aircraft.

A truly incredible air plane. Now just think about it, that was developed in what, late 70's early 80's. The F-117 was being built in secret in the 80's and we knew nothing of it until the 90's? Imagine what they are working on now!!

The only thing the F-117 was unique for was stealth - everything else on the aircraft was off the shelf parts, which was why the F-117 was actually one of the cheapest platforms in the USAF ever bought, including development costs.

Not many people know this, but even the A-12/YF-12/SR-71 used off the shelf engines, which were designed for a fighter aircraft which was cancelled prior to the A-12 being conceptualised.

[edit on 19/4/2010 by RichardPrice]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join