It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nick Clegg now in contention as potential PM

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I didn't watch the debate but I intend to later on, (youtube is wonderful thing).

The general feedback I have gotten so far is that Gordon Brown did ok, David Cameron was pretty poor and that Nick Clegg did reasonably well.

Up till now both The Tory and Labour parties have concentrated on attacking each other.
Sure as night follows day both of these parties will conduct a co-ordinated attack on the Lib-Dems over the next few days.
The last thing they want is their cosy little dinner party for two arrangement being gatecrashed by those eccentric, country bumpkin Lib Dems.

In the absence of the radical parliamentary reform we truly need, I am slowly coming round to the idea that the best thing we could have is a hung parliament forcing politicians to work together and taking the best ideas of both parties involved in a coalition governemt.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

A stolen, rigged election? I have never heard of any British election being stolen. I am not saying it has never happened, just where are the rumours, evidence?

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

The general feedback I have gotten so far is that Gordon Brown did ok, David Cameron was pretty poor and that Nick Clegg did reasonably well.

Gordon Brown was far worse than Cameron, and when he couldn't answer a question without obfuscating, resorted to attempting to bully Cameron and Clegg, but neither bought into his game, stood up to him, and Clegg in particular pretty much destroyed him.

I think the general feedback you got may have been a little biased - although Cameron wasn't great, he was head and shoulders above Brown, and Clegg was head and shoulders above both of them.

Clegg was also right about trident - we don't need to spend £100 million on it. We have enough other nuclear weapons should we ever need them.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I believe if you want electoral reform then voting Liberal Democrat would be a wise choice. The point is that the Conservatives need to take back seats from the Lib Dems to get an over all majority. If I were a Lib Dem supporter, after last nights debate i wouldn't feel the need to change my vote.

I just watched the UKIP manifesto press conference and to be honest they looked like a right disorganised rabble, who struggled with the questions posed by the press. I never really thought much of UKIP, Nigel farage can be amusing in the EU Parliament, but they looked pretty lightweight at their launch this afternoon.

At the moment it's the Liberals and The Green party posing the most immpressive manifestos in my humble Guardian reading, mung bean eating opinion.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Bud, only reporting what I have been told.
Biased?
Probably, isn't everybody when it comes to politics?
You my friend have a dislike for Brown that borders upon hatred, and I can undestand that, but don't you think that may also cloud your judgement slightly?
We are all but human.

As I said, I intend to watch it myself later tonight so i'll be able to give you my verdict then.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Just a small interjection, this is only my opinion and I AM BIASED.

I thought Gordon Brown did terribly, he comes across as more insincere than David Cameron and rather slimy. He falters and stumbles, not a people person by any means, more like something I stepped in.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
But what about Clegg?

Can he be PM?

I am swinging between Labour and the Lib Dems. Obviously we are voting for our local MP'S rather than the PM.

So are you voting on local or national issues?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

its 100 BILLION not million

was good to watch lol

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The outcome of the UK General Election = rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Their social policies will be just as bizarre, and limitations on personal freedom just as draconian after the election as they were before it.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Personally i think Nick would be the best one for the job. I also think the lib dems will win. UK needs a fresh start Brown and Cameron are fake and Nick isnt. He seems geniune, and seems to understand exactly what the uk needs.
Put money on it

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
To be honest i did not think Clegg did anything special. He was always going to come out the best in the first debate because Cameron and Brown were going for eachother. If anything i was getting really tired of Clegg after the hour mark because all he did was criticise, criticise, criticise. He is a good actor and an intelligent man but i would not want him as the prime minister.

Its a shame that the only two leaders that actually matter are both pretty drab, particularly Brown. Cameron really needs to up his game. I thought he was OK yesterday but could have been alot better.

At the end of the day we will probably get a hung parliament because there just is not one standout party and a lot of people will just not bother voting because they are too busy watching tv.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Review from Last night.

Gordon Brown :- Clearly came across as a liar and the only way he will win is if he has managed to brain wash enough people. He has put this nation on a Knife point and he is using financial experiments to try to get us out of ressesion. His Math is wrong, His budgets are wrong and to be honest what he has done is create a unsubstantiated growth spike which has the potential to ruin our country. The thing with ressesions is you can't buy your way out of them as you create false security in the markets. When Labour came into power I am 100% aware a letter was sent to Mr Brown and Mr Blair addressing a 65 billion (YES 65 Billion) hole in there economic plan. The most important point I will make though is he Failed to address the nation and seem sincere. Was also trying to hard to discredit the Conservatives.

David Cameron :- This man wants to be sincere, But is he a man of his convictions? Too many times in the past have the old Tory wigs on the back bench have forced Mr Cameron to change his mind on some very important issues. He has the Nation at Heart and and wants to rebuild our Society that Labour have Train Wrecked. It would be Unfair to comment on there Economic plan as they have no REAL idea of what the books actually look like and how big and deep the BROWN hole goes. He got dragged into a tit for tat match with Brown and It did look as though he didn't see Mr Clegg as a direct threat. Mr Cameron needs to stir up the hearts of the people and not get involved with the arguments with Labour. The election was Conservatives to lose spending valuable time arguing with Mr Brown from Now should be a NO! He needs to Address the nation in a manner that makes everyone of us want to stand up and get this country working together.
Again Failed to Address the nation, Stir up the Public and needs to start delivering....

Nick Clegg :- Economically Niave, however this isn't a bad thing. He will have fresh eyes and new Idea's but maybe out of his depth. Spent the night addressing the Nation and not pandering too much to playground talk. He awoke the public but the main problem with the Liberal Democrats is.... and this is big.... They do not have enough candidates to win by the First past the post methord. When people say it would be a wasted vote it would and this is because even if by some fluke result they got in and we are talking a massive swing they would not be able to form a majority. He needs to distance himself from Mr Brown And Labour and show that they are a party to be reckoned with... They are an alternative they have some excellent idea'd but at best they could form a serious shadow Government with Labour on the fringe.There are Key area's were thay will struggle to get votes IE Blackburn were Mr Straw Bless him has moved Everyone and there Uncle in (You Know what I mean) and Labour will hold that seat, And in preston in there both conservatives and Lib dems will struggle because of the same above reason.

Good Luck to you all however after last Night one must Applaud Mr Clegg and say he played fairly, He addressed the Nation and got the publics heart.

The Public need to Buy into the Lib Dems and only a rik roll style campaign or face book campaign could help swing things.

Sorry Mr Brown but You have ruined my childrens future after destroying mine.... I was at high school during the start of your warped economics and in the past 13 years you have educated me and failed me, You have stolen from me, you have stolen my Lively hood (Im a licensee) you have totally Destroyed my childrens future. NHS waiting lists for CERTAIN operations have dropped however cancer deaths have risen....

I can't see a doctor if i' am sick nearest appointment is more than 5 days away. Same for my wife and children, I buy my asthma drugs in Turkey as they are cheaper than on the NHS even with PREPAY. The NHS hasn't got enough Dentists, and the hospitals are filthy.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Why should the Conservatives and Labour just EXPECT to be voted in. It's like some sort of weird playground game. I hope Nick Clegg and his party continue to do well. The electorate should never be taken for granted, but we let them do it time and time again.
Just as an aside, has anyone noticed how the Lib Dems are more often than not, dismissed in the media? I wonder why?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by airliebird58
Why should the Conservatives and Labour just EXPECT to be voted in. It's like some sort of weird playground game. I hope Nick Clegg and his party continue to do well. The electorate should never be taken for granted, but we let them do it time and time again.
Just as an aside, has anyone noticed how the Lib Dems are more often than not, dismissed in the media? I wonder why?

Some research to assist you.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.encyclopedia.com... (important)

en.allexperts.com...

What must be noted is that What the party used to be and stand for maybe different now and when considering voting one must also address the manifestos of each party.

www.libdems.org.uk...
www.conservatives.com...
www2.labour.org.uk...

When voted for warned is for armed. Take the time address what is important to your values and for your future.

Me myself Im undecided. I am a registered Conservative party member however this does not mean I will vote that way. None of the Parties have got any information regarding our Newly reformed SPACE AGENCY.

Other issues have me undecided too but one thing is for sure whilst there is a hole in my arse I will NOT VOTE FOR Mr Brown or LABOUR.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I'm not Browns biggest fan but in fairness I pretty much despise all of them.

I actually used a points scoring system when watching it last night, and then gave marks for delivery, audience interaction, confidence and straight answers.

Cameron got minus points for copying Clegg, by asking the names of audience members

I think I judged it pretty fairly and was expecting a pretty even contest given that Brown isn't bad in PMQ, much better than Blair was, and I usually enjoy his performances.

But Clegg literally blew me away he was so good.

In fairness, the other 2 both looked pretty bad in comparison, but Cameron was a fair bbit better than Brown in pretty much every department.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The American media take on the debate and its affects.

Along with the U.S., the U.K. is one of the developed world's few two-party political systems. This debate offered an unprecedented platform for a third-party leader who struggles to get heard, and leadership debates are now expected to be a feature of British campaigns. If the LibDems do become power brokers, they are likely to insist on the sort of proportional representation system that would see them gain more seats and move the U.K. into more lasting multiparty democracy.

Prior to the debate, LibDem strategists said they would have considered merely getting Mr. Clegg's name in the newspaper after the debate to be a dream result. On Friday Mr. Clegg's face, coupled with headlines handing him the victory, adorned Britain's biggest newspapers. A spokesman admitted that the pressure will increase on him for the next two debates.

online.wsj.com...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by IanC99000310

I would say that was a pretty fair comparison of the three leaders. Clegg on the night did come off better, but IMHO it was because he was underestimated by Brown and Cameron as they were more interested in attacking each other.

I dont think that Brown and Cameron will let Clegg off lightly in the next two debates.

Brown in my opinion was rude by his shaking of his head and of his turning of his back to Cameron. He also does not have the mandate of the country, he should have called an election when he was voted leader/PM by his party years ago ...... for that many will not let him forget it.

Trident will come back and haunt the Lib/Dems at election time. I sincerely think that if it comes to a close call that they will possibly 'join' the Conservatives in a coalition party. Labour like most partys in their third term are old and tired.

I am biased, I am a Conservative through and through and in my mind David Cameron is sincere and iff given the chance he will put the great back into GREAT BRITAIN.

[edit on 16/4/10 by Wotan]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk

A stolen, rigged election? I have never heard of any British election being stolen. I am not saying it has never happened, just where are the rumours, evidence?

There is no evidence of fixing votes but this is hyperthetical... if it were rigged how would the public be any the wearier?

Lets not forget that rigging votes has occured elsewhere at Election time!!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Mabye i am just naive but I don't see how 'they' could get away with it. The U.K. is too small and it would just be too obvious. The media would be all over any allegations of vote rigging.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Brown came off really badly - it was just a case of same old same old from him, and frankly its dull.

Cameron was better, but seemed a little stiff, and needed to relax more.

Clegg... well he made his points well. He destroyed the other two when it came to discussions on MP's reform by pointing out, twice, that Labour had blocked the Lib Dems proposed rules and that the Tories hadn't voted on them at all - despite the fact that both Brown and Cameron said it was a good idea live on TV - in fact Brown just looked like a bumbling idiot at that stage because he was nodding his head and smiling while Clegg was pointing out what Labour had done.

Voting Lib Dem could be interesting this time - and certainly not wasted.

I fully expect Cameron to win, but not with a large majority - and if thats the case he may need the Lib Dems to help him out. If its a hung parliament then they will also have a greater say, and that can only be a good thing. Clegg has ideas and is articulate and Vince Cable, their chief economist is a straight talking genius.

Interesting times.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join