It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nick Clegg now in contention as potential PM

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Having now watched the debate I must agree that Brown seemed pretty poor, Cameron was slightly, only slightly though, better and Clegg won hand's down.

He is going to feel some heat now, the Tory and Labour machines are going to lay into him....this may be a true test of his ability to impress under pressure.

The Lib-Dem's may just be starting to become a realistic option for many disillusioned Labour voters who will not vote Tory under any circumstance.

And as nefermore pointed out, they also have one of the few MP's with ability and integrity in Vince Cable.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
noticed not many people have mentioned the idea of a hung parliment.

We are meant to be a democratic country. not oh there was a clear winner but it was not labour or tory, so we are going to skip straight to communism

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

How does a hung parliament equal Communism?

I gurantee if there is a hung parliament and a coalition is the outcome(in any form), there will be another election within 18 months.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Clegg is actually likely to win as there are several reason for this...

1. The Magic Word - There si a magic word that Gladstone is famous for which saw him elected repeatedly as Liberal PM, but the Liberals forgot. The Tories ahve used it repeatedly to be elected but this time they forgot it. Clegg however has used this one word incantation that always ensures victory at the poll in the UK. THe magic word is COST. He made it clear that all their policies are COSTED. This, the Tories and Labour have not done.

2. It has been 5 YEARS since an election. Hence everyone under 23 years old has never voted. Hence they are not "set in their ways" and can vote Liberal without feeling bad about it.

3. Gordon Brown is now utterly detached brom the average man in the street. He is still fighting a class war against the Tories and is ignoring this critical threat to Labour.

4. The Liberals are holding 12 or 16 seats but have 70 or so, giving a strong platform for launching the attack.

5. No-one likes a bad looser and Clegg ignoring "reform of the electoral system" will allow he public to listen to him without becoming bored.

6. Camaeron's indecisiveness in an interview about gays going the circuit on the internet is ultra-destructive.

7. Cameron's call to avoid a hung parliament might actually backfire. INstead of creating a hung parliament, if the Liberals are ahead at opeing of polls, the public might actually go Liberal to ensure a Liberal majority Government.

8. The expenses scandal makes everyone want to sack their local MP. The low number of sitting Liberal MP's will actually be an advantage here.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
If Clegg was to be seen as winning the other two debates, it's all over...Liberal Majority Government.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Many like Gerald Celente forecast a stock market crash in the imminent future. The fraud case against Goldman Sachs just migth trigger this.

If the markets collapsed before 6th May, this would hit Labour, party in Government and the Tories, party of business like a sledgehammer.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
After watching the debating the other night, I would certainly chose Nick Clegg over those other two rogues.

come on the Lib dems!!

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I think this Volcanic ash malarky has been good for Clegg and the Lib Dems. This is becasue all the attempts by the two big boys to question their policies and ability to govern have not been covered in huge detail.

Clegg is seriously trying to woo the youth vote now. Best bet.

Nick Clegg will launch a major campaign today to win the youth vote amid signs that young people are backing the Liberal Democrats in increasing numbers following last week's televised leaders' debate.

The Liberal Democrat leader, hoping to maintain the sudden surge for his party in the polls, will appeal to those aged 18 to 25 to register to vote before Tuesday's deadline.

The move is similar to that launched by Barack Obama during his campaign for the White House. Obama urged young Americans not to waste their vote and to join his campaign.

Clegg told the Observer: "I will be saying to young people that this is their chance to make a difference. It will be a message of hope, but also one of urgency. They can really affect this election campaign, but to do so they have to register."

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
"Hope has come to America" - Barack Obama

No scratch that, "Hope has come to Great Britain".

Maybe Great Britain can revive itself as a major player on the international stage. Lead an alternative way to American foreign policy. They are the only other NATO nation that could alter its policies enough to actually push back the militarilistic view of the US. I truly believe GB can be great again and be a powerful and persuasive nation on the international stage. But as you know neither the Tories or the Labour has been able to provide you with this for decades now. Isn't it about time for some real change?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

well i couldnt think of another word for it.

when the right to vote is stripped from us, because we cant be trusted to vote.

No way would there be another elction in 18 months..

look how long we have had unelected leader, and now a hung parliment. this is pure bullsh♪♪

[edit on 19-4-2010 by MR BOB]

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB

well i couldnt think of another word for it.

OK, but the correct word is not communism.

when the right to vote is stripped from us, because we cant be trusted to vote.

They will never completely take our right to vote away, that would be far too obvious.
What we should be questioning is just how efective and influential is our vote under the current electoral, parliamentary and governemt systems?
And the answer, imo, is very, very little indeed.

No way would there be another elction in 18 months..

And why wouldn't there be?

With broken promises, possible weak and ineffective leadership and disjointed policies a vote of no confidence in the government within 18months is a realistic prospect.
And so; a possible General Election.

look how long we have had unelected leader,

And what is unusual about an unelected Prime Minister?

You do understand our electoral process don't you.

We vote for constituency MP's, who tend to be members of a political party.
The leader of the party with the most MP's is asked by The Queen to form a government and that person becomes Prime Minister.
That leader can change during the course of a term of office.
And they have done frequently.

13 Prime Ministers who have been 'unelected'.

2007 Gordon Brown Labour
1990 John Major Conservative
1976 James Callaghan Labour
1963 Sir Alec Douglas-Home Conservative
1957 Harold Macmillan Conservative
1955 Sir Anthony Eden Conservative
1940 Winston Churchill Conservative
1937 Neville Chamberlain Conservative
1923 Stanley Baldwin Conservative
1916 David Lloyd George Liberal
1908 Herbert H. Asquith Liberal
1905 Henry Campbell-Bannerman Liberal
1902 Arthur Balfour Conservative

and now a hung parliment.

Possible hung parliament, it's only conjecture at the moment.

this is pure bullsh♪♪

Of course, it's politics...what do you expect, honesty and sincerity?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Has anyone noticed that NOT Clegg and Cameron are both born under the one-every-50-years FIRE HORSE sign?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

it seems that most the media do not back clegg, even tho the general majority "love him"

the two opposing parties will have noticed his potential threat, to wat has always been a two horse race

, cue the yellow propaganda

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk

The American media take on the debate and its affects.

Along with the U.S., the U.K. is one of the developed world's few two-party political systems. This debate offered an unprecedented platform for a third-party leader who struggles to get heard, and leadership debates are now expected to be a feature of British campaigns. If the LibDems do become power brokers, they are likely to insist on the sort of proportional representation system that would see them gain more seats and move the U.K. into more lasting multiparty democracy.

Prior to the debate, LibDem strategists said they would have considered merely getting Mr. Clegg's name in the newspaper after the debate to be a dream result. On Friday Mr. Clegg's face, coupled with headlines handing him the victory, adorned Britain's biggest newspapers. A spokesman admitted that the pressure will increase on him for the next two debates.

online.wsj.com...

Goes to show what the Yanks know about our system then! Two-party political system my arse! Yes, there are two parties with the lions share of the seats, but to boil down our 1000 year old parliamentary system to a "two-party" soundbite is a gross over-simplification.

For starters, Parliament doesn't officially recognise political parties and you do not vote for a party at the election, despite what people seem to believe.

The way the system was designed is actually totally at odds with the way it is run, hence why politics is in a mess.

As for Clegg being PM, no chance. He might want to woo the 18-25 year olds, but I have seen enough interviews from these "1st time voters" to know that they won't bother. The BBC interviewed some youngsters and the general response was "Not interested, doesn't affect me, I'd rather watch TV".

Another classic example of why the system doesn't work. Even at the height of Labours popularity, they barely managed 30% of the popular vote, yet the FPTP system means they do not need any more than that to win a majority.

How can it be that a party can have a massive majoriity in Parliament (almost half the seats) with only a third of the vote? Labour have only just started making noises about changing the system now (You've had 13 years!) to placate the voters who have realised this total imbalance in the system,

We either need to go back to the classic design and operate as such, namely - no parties in parliament, you vote for your member, he represents you and can cross the floor whenever or change the system to be some kind of proportional system where a candidate must have at least 50% of the vote to be elected by his constituents. A hybrid mix of both just doesn't work.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Goes to show what the Yanks know about our system then! Two-party political system my arse! Yes, there are two parties with the lions share of the seats, but to boil down our 1000 year old parliamentary system to a "two-party" soundbite is a gross over-simplification.

As for Clegg being PM, no chance. He might want to woo the 18-25 year olds, but I have seen enough interviews from these "1st time voters" to know that they won't bother. The BBC interviewed some youngsters and the general response was "Not interested, doesn't affect me, I'd rather watch TV".

i want to write a thousand things about everything you just wrote, loving how no one else likes it either,

im English Stu, and proud to be, and i dislike labour, but you mate, pffff tool, im 22, first time voter, voted for clegg, !!!!! ur not here with us, so you dont know whats goin on, thers more people in that age bracket in England that dont sniff TV, dont live by any stereotypes, who wouldnt listen to a damn thing a reptillian BBC presenter says lol, it was the older generation that falied us !!! They wont vote,,, not because theyr'e watching TV its because , its because they think it wont make a difference either way, the richer get richer and the poorer get poorer, at least Cleggson is willin to let you earn £10'000 before your taxed any!!!!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desolo
i want to write a thousand things about everything you just wrote, loving how no one else likes it either,

Couldn't give a flying toss, mate. I ain't here to collect little stars. As it happens, I have plenty of posts people do "like" and lots of those lovely little stars, if thats what floats your boat. I notice how no-one "loved" you post either. I bet you feel absolutely distraught, don't you?

im English Stu, and proud to be, and i dislike labour, but you mate, pffff tool, im 22, first time voter, voted for clegg, !!!!!

Nice, personal insults followed up by a shining example of not understanding what you're voting for or the system. Unless Clegg is your local MP, then you've never voted for "him".

ur not here with us, so you dont know whats goin on,

Where? UK? Afriad I am chap.

If your trying to paint me as an out of touch "old person", then you're way off too. Better luck next time.

thers more people in that age bracket in England that dont sniff TV, dont live by any stereotypes, who wouldnt listen to a damn thing a reptillian BBC presenter says lol, it was the older generation that falied us !!!

Ok, your all updating your facebook pages instead informing the world about what pointless little thing your up to at every second of the day. As it happens, the 18-25 age group is a very important demographic for TV and I doubt you speak for the whole "age group" when you say such sweeping, yet poorly punctuated, statements. However, TV is just one medium of many which are used by people across the spectrum.

To pick up on my sarcastic remark and translate it into me saying "young people watch TV" was not only way off the mark, but you misread what I said. I was quoting a young person on Radio 1 as they interviewed some peeps on the street, he litterally said "I'd rather watch TV than vote".

Go back and read what I said.

If you think the older generation have let you down, it is precisely because younger people don't vote. What do you think will happen if all the under 30's dont vote and all the over 30's do? They'll get representation and you won't, hence why we have a parliament full of old cooks who are out of touch, because they were voted in by old cooks who are out of touch!

They wont vote,,, not because theyr'e watching TV its because , its because they think it wont make a difference either way, the richer get richer and the poorer get poorer, at least Cleggson is willin to let you earn £10'000 before your taxed any!!!!

It is precisely because a large section of society is apathetic about voting that we are run by a bunch of idiots who are out of touch. If everyone voted, we'd have better representation. If only old farts vote, we'll only have old farts in Parliament making rules old farts like.

Couple that with another voting system other than FPTP and your on to a Government that might work, sometimes...

As for the the £10k personal limit, how is that going to be paid for? Lib Dems have been as cagey as the rest of them when it comes to costing out their budgets. I am not so keen on it as I'll probably be taxed either by my NI contributions or I'll fall into the higher tax bracket and be fleeced there.

[edit on 22/4/10 by stumason]

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

you guys crack me up.
you watching the sky new coverage tonight.

I hope brown gets the war rammed down his throat and chokes

after he has said he was wrong and he is sorry. i know it wont happen but one can team.

btw tories i really do hate the women who represents you. that stupid blonde women. shes annoying me, god maybe more the blairs wife.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

Aye, got my reminder set, just brewing a cuppa and rolling a nice big one to help me along...

I think Clegg will take alot more heat today, but I'm not sure how much the other two can shaft him as they might need him in 2 weeks time!

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

This is where labour lose it tonight the war will ruin them and quite rightly.

Atleast the MPs are having fun, trying to hurt each other with comments with all my experience in ATS i would be great there.

posted on Apr, 22 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

Brown played a major part in the recession, lol, he must of being chancellor at the time building up all those bubbles.

So he should not even be pm on that alone, its a joke that we have to choose between him and another two like him.

I am not voting and i never have.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join