It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't europeans tip

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

It's really just a culture difference. I know from working at a hotel that those guys don't always realize any of the staff's salary are their tips, and so they see it as just having to pay extra money. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

Yea I think its a pretty stupid idea.. tips should be for when someone has done a good job. Plus, depending on what state you're in, the minimum wage is going to be round about what the UK minimum wage is anyway. And speaking as someone who has a crappy minimum wage job, I certainly dont feel as if I deserve tips from anyone. Not when customers are forking out £5.20 for a double vodka & coke anyway.

Oh and you never know you may have seen her face before, she's from my area of the ghetto!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil
What is with the Europeans? These people are either being rude and insulting by not tipping or just plain down right ignorant

Oh please.....

I work at a 5 star resort where a room costs between five hundred and a thousand US dollars per night.

When I read the OP my first thoughts was..your issues are not with your hotels customers its with your employer,if they`re charging those sort of rates and cannot or will not pay their employee`s properly,you should find a different job and not expect hand outs from people who are already handing out great sums of money.BUT! then you say....

This is not an issue of what I receive as compensation for my job. I get paid salary very well.

So your greedy as well as insulting,heck if I were your employer and saw your attitude that you`ve displayed here,I`d tell ya to get on ya bike!

By the way I`m Aussie so you can add some of us to your list of rude and ignorant people of the world.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

Just look at it this way. You are working a job that gets you tips and you are working people who can afford to stay in that kind of hotel. My guess is these people's weekend stay costs more than your monthly rent. So somewhere along the line you made a bad decision. I would try and find a job that does not get tips.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I'm from the UK and what annoys me is people who somehow expect to be tipped. This is usually the case in the United States and Canada.

If I feel the person in question deserves a tip then I will give them one.

Other than that, you're getting nothing.

It's not rude, as others have said over here in the UK/Europe tipping isn't as massive a deal as over there.

You don't have some god given right to be tipped. You're supposed to do a good job anyway, not just on the basis of if you do a good job you might get a tip.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

*This video contains words*

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Europeans are smart. Employers should pay servers a living wage, so customers are not expected to. Tipping is for the birds.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Why should the customer be expected to pay twice? Should not the employer be paying the staff?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
In the US, It's obviously a big deal and perhaps the staff absolutely rely on tips..? Maybe something should be done in regards to the wages for these staff?

You'd think, wouldn't you?

I think there are a number of reasons that the service industry might resist this, though. For one, it's a lot easier to leave cash tips unreported than it would be if a similar amount was simply added to their wages.

For what it's worth, I pretty much follow the same tipping guidelines that Gazrok posted, though I give my hairdresser more than 15%. I think those are pretty much accepted guidelines at least around here.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

First and foremost, tipping is not mandatory, nor is it even known to some people.

American's tip or do not, so you're picking on Europeans is selective to your experience, period.

I've worked in one of many service jobs for 15 years and not all American's choose to tip.

I work 2, 3, and 4 jobs simultaneously, usually, so I know about hard work.

And corporate America, the organizations that run America through service, do not pay employees enough in those service jobs, on purpose, so those in the Waiting, delivery driver, and hotel industry employees will work harder, hoping ignorantly for a tip.

If I complained about all the different people who did not tip, my list of people in America would be a lot longer than your list of Europeans, and it would make me sound like a racist when I am not, because the majority of people who do not tip in America are either of non-Caucasian ethnicity or seniors.

Your service does not guarantee you a tip, neither does your lack of service.

If people are unaware of the process, it is a lack of knowledge, which is out of your hands.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Tip (Gratuity)

A tip (also called a gratuity) is a voluntary extra payment made to certain service sector workers in addition to the advertised price of the transaction.

Such payments and their size are a matter of social custom.

Tipping varies among cultures and by service industry.

Though by definition a tip is never legally required, and its amount is at the discretion of the patron being served, in some circumstances failing to give an adequate tip when one is expected may be considered very miserly, a violation of etiquette, or unethical.

In some other cultures or situations, giving a tip is not expected and offering one would be considered condescending or demeaning.

In some circumstances, such as with government workers, tipping is illegal.

From someone in the Service Industry, who knows about tipping, your rant only shows you do not know enough about your country, corporation, and other cultures.

Become educated on the customs of those people instead of blaming them.

Go to the actual Wikipedia link and learn a thing or two about those other cultures.

Deny Ignorance.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I wish we could give stars here.

This was my favourite line from the wiki article:

A tip (also called a gratuity) is a voluntary extra payment

Voluntary being the key word.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

I wish we could give stars here.

This was my favourite line from the wiki article:

A tip (also called a gratuity) is a voluntary extra payment

Voluntary being the key word.

Possibly I might consider doing an ATS thread on this topic.

I would put it under Psychology, Philosophy, and Metaphysics, if I do.

I will keep you in mind for an invite if I do.

While that was Wikipedia and quoted, it was a hard lesson for me at a younger age.

I now have experience and let go when people do not tip.

It is just not worth the anger and or bad Karma.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Cool, I will be there. I have ranted about tipping for a long time. It sucks that workers don't get paid proper wages and then expect customers to pay them

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

It sucks that workers don't get paid proper wages and then expect customers to pay them

True that.

Though this particular rant made by oliveoil is not about that topic.

He stated.......

This is not an issue of what I receive as compensation for my job. I get paid salary very well.

This guy should take a good look in the mirror on this issue,before pointing the finger at other people for being rude greedy and ignorant and calling a member here a hypocrite.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by gps777

True enough, a very good point

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

I`d like to explain this in better detail of why the attitude of this person has aggravated me on this subject.....

I was very poor at one stage of my life,so much so that I had to eat the left overs from a store that they were going to throw out anyway just so`s I could survive and carry on with the employment that I had,they gave it to me for free even though I offered what little I had.Throughout those tough years never did it even enter my mind that because some people had more than me that they somehow owed anything or even expected them to give me something.

That was many moons ago,from then I found another job worked my bum off in the mining industry,saved like crazy and then started my own business,which was touch and go for the first couple of years and it improved through hard work and dedication and now my income would be and is amongst the highest of the members of ATS,I know this through the poll ATS did a year or so ago.

Now I liken oliveoil`s attitude to someone begging on the street shaking his can wearing decent clothes because he has a decent income and when he see`s someone flash their hard eared money he demands he should have some of it and if they dont comply then their rude greedy and ignorant hypocrites.

It would be like if I chose to go out and buy myself or my other half a new car with my and her hard earned money and the car cleaner expects me to give them a percentage of the cost of the car simply because we saved for it,I think I`d kick him to the next suburb.Likewise for all our hard work we might want a break and take a holiday (we hardly know what they are) and the bus boy who is well paid just as oliveoil expects me to fork out extra on him because we work hard,yeah right!

A lot of people with money got that way by not being foolish with it and working damn hard for it and like myself are charitable/generous to those who deserve a hand or help and especially those that dont demand or expect it.

But the simplest way to view it is, if you want or need more money dont expect hand outs, get out there and earn it,take responsability for yourself.If someone gives you extra in appreciation of a job well done,well thats a bonus.

Heck I think I could write a rant thread just on this imature rant thread,though I wont I was sick of it from the first page.

Thats me done I hope.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by gps777

Now I liken oliveoil`s attitude to someone begging on the street shaking his can wearing decent clothes because he has a decent income and when he see`s someone flash their hard eared money he demands he should have some of it and if they dont comply then their rude greedy and ignorant hypocrites.

All Im saying is if you cannot tip properly at a 5 star resort maybe you should be staying at the holiday Inn or Super 8.Why should you live above your means and embarrass yourself by staying at a place you can not afford? You my friend are the man dressed in a thousand dollar suit without a dime in your pocket. All show and no substance. A wantabe of sorts.

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Oh but they can afford it. Why should you get paid above and beyond your salary? You stated you make a good salary. So basically you are just demanding more for no reason. I can understand, to a point, that some service staff need tips to survive. However it should be up to the employer, not the customer.

But for people who make good wages, why should they get tips too? If I pay 200 per night to stay somewhere, why should I pay more?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Oh but they can afford it. Why should you get paid above and beyond your salary? You stated you make a good salary. So basically you are just demanding more for no reason. I can understand, to a point, that some service staff need tips to survive. However it should be up to the employer, not the customer.

But for people who make good wages, why should they get tips too? If I pay 200 per night to stay somewhere, why should I pay more?

The reason I get good wages is because I work at a 5 star resort. This has nothing to do with tipping. If I go above and beyond what is expected of me for a guest than I am offering them 5 star service on my own accord. Yes I expect to be compensated from that guest.The same way the poster above me worked hard to get where hes at working in a coal mine. so do I.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join