It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't europeans tip

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

But considering you get a good salary (Im guessing more than you would at say a 3* hotel), then surely the amount you get paid by your employers implies that they expect you to go 'above and beyond' what you should do if you worked at a poor quality hotel?

Alternatively though, if you really dont think you're wages reflect the effort you make, then dont go out of your way to help anyone. That way you wont be disappointed when you recieve no tip.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

reply to post by Bluebelle

Spot on you guys.

Originally posted by oliveoil
All Im saying is if you cannot tip properly at a 5 star resort maybe you should be staying at the holiday Inn or Super 8.

Yeah right thats all your saying.
Maybe you should reread your own posts.

Its none of your business where anyone wishes to stay,got it!

Why should you live above your means and embarrass yourself by staying at a place you can not afford?

Its you embarrassing yourself pal.

You my friend are the man dressed in a thousand dollar suit without a dime in your pocket.All show and no substance. A wantabe of sorts.

Oops your shot in the dark missed by miles yet again,hint I`m the type of guy who hangs out with regular people, wears the clothes of a regular person,the difference compared to yourself and me is I`m loaded and will not be scammed by someone like yourself.

The reason I get good wages is because I work at a 5 star resort. This has nothing to do with tipping. If I go above and beyond what is expected of me for a guest than I am offering them 5 star service on my own accord.

What a load of BS!

Your job and duty is to provide 5 star service to the guests because thats what your paid well to do and what they have all ready paid for! does this simple point need bashing into you or something,for you to wake up to yourself.

Who the hell are you to tell people how or what they can do with their own money?

Some people may have saved their money for 5-10 years for a luxury holiday etc,yet a little punk like yourself thinks either hand over your cash to me or stay elsewhere?

If I was your boss and saw your attitude to guests or to my customers that I`m paying you well to do your job properly,man you`d be down the road fast,I guess he/she just hasn`t spotted it yet,give it time.Then when your out of a job,I guess we`ll be hearing another pathetic rant thread about how everybody should help you out but doesn`t,if you could afford your internet connection.

Also you keep going on about 5 star resort as if we should be impressed or something,heck my dayly income exceeds your resorts highest rates,yet although I`ve stayed in many 5 star hotels in my life I much prefer to rough it out bush and sleep under the stars.

If I go above and beyond what is expected of me for a guest than I am offering them 5 star service on my own accord.
Yes I expect to be compensated from that guest.The same way the poster above me worked hard to get where hes at working in a coal mine. so do I.

BS!!
Your being paid already to give 5 star service,so your admitting here to giving less than your duty to your customers and to your boss unless people fork out extra money to you that your not entitled to recieve.

Dont compare the likes of yourself to me,I worked hard and was paid for from my employer full stop.I never took or expected extra money from our customers,my duty was to perform at my best all the time

And who said anything about coal mining?

Google BHP Billiton,I contracted to them.

Edit to add

Care to give the name of the resort you work for?

Because I highly doubt your employer would be in agreeance with your attitude towards his/her clientele.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by gps777]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
The reserve syndrome is when many American tourists visit New Zealand they tip when they don't have to .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Europeans don't tip because they are are not as top-heavy as Americans.

Americans rarely over-tip, but this is only due to the fact that they have such big bottoms.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Maybe because the baggage handlers are alreayd getting paid.
I cant afford to tip so screw you

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

So you wqon't provide good service unless the customer gives you more money? Pretty sure your boss pays you to provide 5-star service. If he/she heard your rants, you would be canned. Be grateful you have a good job and get paid well.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
LOL. Im sure that if my employer heard me rant on this topic of Europeans being cheap(and he has) he would agree.However, the resorts 5 star amenities have nothing to do with my 5 star guess service.Obviously you would not know this.
Oh and by the way I thank God everyday I open my eyes. (more than you would care to know.)

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

From the looks of it you seem to be accustomed to five star resorts of hotels or motels in general. Maybe you could shed some light on the subject?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

From the looks of it you seem to be accustomed to five star resorts of hotels or motels in general. Maybe you could shed some light on the subject?

Pardon?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Even within this very thread you have had replies from American people who have experience within the hotel industry yet I guess their just as ignorant as foreigners when they dont agree with you.

Heck I`ve not yet seen one person agree with you and your rant.

Maybe you should pray about it,because as I see it your one tenth of a poofteeth from being a common thief.

Maybe you are,seeing you seem to know alot about people who wear a thousand dollar suit without a dime in their pocket,do you go through there belongings to find that out?

Lord knows your not intested in small change, thats insulting from your own words.If you were to do something of value for these clients outside of your allocated work time,then I`d understand more.Whilst at work your on the boss`s time and well paid.

But as it is your attitude will never serve you well,people who get things for nothing,never appreiciate it as much as someone who worked for it.

There are a number of people on this very thread who have expressed their thoughts on this matter and I know they have good work ethics in seeing yours as flat out wrong and if in the future they applied those ethics into a business of their own,their business will grow from it,word of mouth/referrals are the best customers you can have.So I`d put money on it that in the long run they`d do better than you.

Your rant brought me out of retirement on ATS,most days I`m here and have a browse and read a bit,I checked your post date first thinking it must be an April fools thread,I still cant believe you cant understand these simple points,though I can believe you simply refuse to.

By the way I wasn`t talking about a manager I was talking about the owner not being in agreeance with your attitude.

If you ever finally accept what we have all been getting at here,(I doudt you`d stop taking free money),but if you did and wanted some extra cash,can I suggest a part time job as a meet and greet person at Walmart you could chase off those you believe not up to the standard of Walmart and save them any undue embarrassment of being in a premises that is above them.Seeing your so good at judging a book by its cover.

All the best anyway Oliveoil,i think I`ll return to lurking for now.

[edit on 22-4-2010 by gps777]

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Hi, thought i'd my own thoughts to this.
while i'm not against tipping per se. It's my choice to do so or not
this may seem like a crazy idea but
you go to work, you work, you go home afterwards (or wherever else you decide to go).
at the end of the week or month, your employer pays you your salary. simples
if i decide i don't want to cook dinner for myself and would like someone else to do it for me,
i go to a restaurant or cafe and pay for that service. why should i be obliged to pay someone extra for doing their job? Just to be clear though i do tip, when i choose to though and it's an exception rather than the rule
It's unfortunate that servers pay is really low, but to be honest. That's not my fault. if the pay is so poor then do something about it.
Let's extend this a bit. as a paramedic, should i expect a tip for coming out to your aid? No? didn't think so
I love my job and wouldn't want to do anything else, but the money isn't great for what we have to do and how long it takes to train. i don't expect extra money on top from service users though as that is what i'm paid to do.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Hold on Iam from the UK and have been a Waiter/Barman in my past jobs and in the UK in pub's we often say to the Barperson "get one yourself" and I used to take enough for a half pint.
If I go for a sit down meal and the food was good, I always tip.
Heck the night I proposed to my 2nd wife we went to a cocktil bar in London and because one barman really helped make our night I tipped him £100. (He was the dude).
We give our postman a tip for xmas also our binmen like most people do in the north of England.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Because American waiters and waitresses only get a few cents an hour, their sole income is from those tips.

Then they have to tip the bartender, the busboy, and the expediter.

THEN
they have to pay taxes on your meal.

so yea, its a big deal. Because by stiffing a waiter, you can end up costing them money.

If you can afford to go out to eat, you can afford to tip.

The amount of ignorance on this thread is astounding.

You have been educated, now stop being a cheapskate.
edit on 29-12-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by stimps1983

Are you actually comparing waitstaff to a paramedic?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Because American waiters and waitresses only get a few cents an hour, their sole income is from those tips.

THEN
they have to pay taxes on your meal.

Well then they should take that up with their employers. (do you not have a minimum wage in America?)
And what? The waiter and waitress have to tip other people... are you serious?

Who has to pay taxes on my meal... what are you talking about?

so yea, its a big deal. Because by stiffing a waiter, you can end up costing them money.

If you can afford to go out to eat, you can afford to tip.

The amount of ignorance on this thread is astounding.

You have been educated, now stop being a cheapskate.

I don't eat out.... like ever.
But if I do, I don't eat at the kinds of places where I have to tip waiters or waitresses.... I just live in a different country and culture from you.... your rules do not apply everywhere.

I have not been educated by you.... you've just talked about how things are in the US?

Yeah.... That's edumacation all right..

edit on 29/12/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
We don't tip because tips ("gratification") is usually INCLUDED in the bill in Europe.

In Europe, a waiter etc. doesn't get paid $2.50/hour and has to make a living from tips...they get REAL money for their work. Please, don't blame Europeans for not tipping, it's simply unusual and people might not know about the tipping rules in the States, especially if they are only on vacation for a few weeks.

When i moved to the states,it took me a while to figure out those rules myself. (Needless to say i found it bizarre at first eg. to buy a beer which is like $2.50 or so..and leave a $1 tip on the bar )

Correction: We do actually tip but it's usually only for rounding up so a waiter doesn't need to give change.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
We don't tip because tips ("gratification") is usually INCLUDED in the bill in Europe.

In Europe, a waiter etc. doesn't get paid $2.50/hour and has to make a living from tips...they get REAL money for their work. Please, don't blame Europeans for not tipping, it's simply unusual and people might not know about the tipping rules in the State.

Indeed.
Just because people don't get paid properly in America, doesn't mean everywhere is like that

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
THENthey have to pay taxes on your meal.

Well then they should take that up with their employers. (do you not have a minimum wage in America?

*laughs* there is minimum wage, but a few industries are an exception, the restaurant and hair business.

Waiters are an exception because paying 12 servers a salary, for each shift, even minimum wage, would eat up any profits. That is why it is the few industries where waiters get paid 2.13 an hour and work off of tips. If servers were paid a salary, the food would be so high that no one could afford to go out to eat. Not to mention you would get crappy service if the person doesn't have to work for the tip.

And what? The waiter and waitress have to tip other people... are you serious?

If other people have to work for you, you have to tip them. The person who runs food out other then the waiter is an expediter. They get the meals and everything with it prepared in the kitchen. Sometimes they carry it out, sometimes the waiter grabs it. So the food can come out quickly. They are usually only kept around at rush hours. They work for the waitstaff, so the waitstaff has to tip them. If the bartender has to make your drinks, they also work off of tips, so you have to tip them too.

Who has to pay taxes on my meal... what are you talking about?

Sorry, I was in a hurry and that came out wrong. When you do your taxes, you are taxed on a percentage of food sales. It doesn't matter how much the person actually tips, it is based on percentages of the food sales themselves, and you have to pay taxes on that.

I don't eat out.... like ever.
But if I do, I don't eat at the kinds of places where I have to tip waiters or waitresses.... I just live in a different country and culture from you....

Ok, you want a cookie?

your rules do not apply everywhere.

I didn't say they did. But I believe the poster was referring to visitors coming in country who don't tip. And I have experienced this more then once myself.

I have not been educated by you.... you've just talked about how things are in the US?

Well now any Europeans who come to the US can't play the ignorance card and pretend they didn't know they have to tip so they can save a buck.

And for those who are American, now you know why tipping is important for waiters.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

What is with the Europeans? These people are either being rude and insulting by not tipping or just plain down right ignorant as to how much to tip. I work at a 5 star resort where a room costs between five hundred and a thousand US dollars per night.
If they can afford a room in this price range, why not tip properly? I just dont get it.To top it off these people show up for a weeks stay with only a bag or two. A whole week living out of just one bag for a whole family!!To make matters worse ,the vehicles that they lease are top of the line Benz' and BMWs. What is with these people!!!! EERRR.:bnghd:

I know this member is no longer here but I only take on case with me for a week. Otherwise it's too much to carry and pointless.

Tipping? We're not drilled in tipping like Americans are and unlike Americans, we don't throw extra money for a good service because we expect good service regardless, no need for an added incentive.

Sure, these people may sometimes be on low wage incomes but hey, so are we and we don't get tipped either.

Besides, how did the OP know the families were rich and could afford it? What if they'd saved up for years to go to such a resort and didn't have the available funds to throw money up the wall giving tips left, right and centre?

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

In most developed countries it's not cultural to tip. In most developed countries staff are on an award wage and don't need tips.. Perhaps you're being rude by not being aware of that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join