It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Looks to be a Pyroclastic flow evident from the explosive (small-scale) on going Plinian event. Pouring down the Western flanks of Eyjaf.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I'm just wondering that if this event continues for a few months, and Katla goes too... Would the settling dust with the added nutrient cause eutrophication in the lakes and kill freshwater fish stocks???

Something else to think about....

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
cnn reporting just now -

Last time this volcano erupted was 109 years ago. It continued erupting for TWO YEARS. Of course this was before any trans-Atlantic flights ....

Could this event impede air travel? Absolutley.

Since the main corridor for transporting American troops is through europe and Trans-Atlantically how long can it take to bring our troops home, and how much does this effect, (detour / deter) war efforts?

Looks like my thoughts last night proved to be true.

Wolf Blitzer on cnn just said:

"Ash clouds from eruption cause American Military to divert medivac flights"

The main hospital for the war "theater" is in Germany.
With aircraft unable to fly in the contaminated air, wounded warriors cannot get to the Main hospital in Germany via flying.

Not good for American Military.
OR ANY MILITARY IN EUROPE THAT CAN NOT FLY!!!

Mother Nature helping prevent war?

just some thoughts.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
I'm just wondering that if this event continues for a few months, and Katla goes too... Would the settling dust with the added nutrient cause eutrophication in the lakes and kill freshwater fish stocks???

Something else to think about....

Sometimes i think we underestimate the resiliance of life.

We could look back at a smaller scale eruption and it's ecological effects to use as a comparison to answer your question.

Perhaps Mount Saint Helens eruption in America about 30 years ago?

Did the environment bounce back, and how was wildlife effected?

Good Question Yissachar

Not sure if i have a good answer, but history might have some clues.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

History does... Recent history with the dustcloud that engulfed the east coast of Australia... The nutrient in the dust caused an algae bloom, which from a global perspective is good... Because it generates more O2... However on slow moving water and lakes it creates dead zones where aquatic animals asphyxiate because the aquatic plants have taken the O2 out of the water... Stagnation... This problem is presant off the coast of your own country because of increased anthropogenic nutrient being put in the water cycle...

Volcanoes have negative impact intially with destruction, water table contamination etc.. However after a time the ground nutrient provided by the ash makes for excellent crop yields...

But that is after a time....

Added information in any system causes positive (not good) feed back initially... The term initially over geological time will outstrip many humans life times... Until equalisation....

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Yissachar1]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

Wow.

And now they are saying the probability of the volacane KATLA which is much larger is under threat of erupting as well, which has erupted after this volcano the last 4 times this volcano has erupted.

This could have an affect on the food chain, i strongly agree.

Although i must admit ignorance when thinking of how much an effect such volcanic eruptions can cause on such a large spread out scale.

I'd rather leave it to imagination than experience it.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Yeah, Katla has always erupted after this volcano in historical accounts... This caused the deaths of 30k people in the UK, and being the 1800s, are just the recorded ones.. That coupled with the fact that we have a higher population makes for morbidity rates being way more..

I believe that the earth is in a cycle of geo instability.... I also believe that it is unprecedented....

We have weird sun weather... Earth weather... Tectonic activity... Vulcanism... Old fault reactivation southern hemispheric specific....

Something seems to be reacting with our solar system...

Funny how TPTB have built "arks" in Norway and Denver.....

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1

Yeah, Katla has always erupted after this volcano in historical accounts... This caused the deaths of 30k people in the UK, and being the 1800s, are just the recorded ones.. That coupled with the fact that we have a higher population makes for morbidity rates being way more..

I imagine the deaths would be a lot higher too. With the combined effects of power outages, volcanic winter, looters, people close to each other, sickness, and many other things that come with an eruption that back, things could get really bad. More people crammed together that are dieing cold and sick would spread viruses, causing the spread of mutated viruses.

People don't know how to live with out there electricity.

Katla blowing would not be very good.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Does anyone actually know what the effects would be of a Katla eruption in modern times, if it was similar to those of the past?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Temperature Drop
Does anyone actually know what the effects would be of a Katla eruption in modern times, if it was similar to those of the past?

Read what I said above.

If it is a very big eruption people to close could have there roofs collapse in do to the build up of ash, and masks would be needed because the ahs would collect in your lungs.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Phlynx]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Ah sorry, I think you posted just as I was typing out my message - thanks.

As far as global issues and volcanic winters, is Katla capable of this? looking at history it seems that Laki was more the biggest problem here plunging temperatures in North America down by 4 degrees in 1783.

Katla would only potentially cause localised issues? although going by this weeks events it all depends on the wind!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Temperature Drop
Ah sorry, I think you posted just as I was typing out my message - thanks.

As far as global issues and volcanic winters, is Katla capable of this? looking at history it seems that Laki was more the biggest problem here plunging temperatures in North America down by 4 degrees in 1783.

Katla would only potentially cause localised issues? although going by this weeks events it all depends on the wind!

Yes, it all depends on the wind. If the jet stream picks anything up, that would be real bad. Katla might be localized, might not, it all depends on one thing... the wind.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Thanks for the information. i like the contributions on this thread. Less speculation and more fact based historical referencing. A quality we should strive towards here on ATS.

Though, most science fact was born of science fiction and the questioning "What If?"

good thread, good posters!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Here You Go - John Search

Saturday 17th April 2010
Eyjafjallajokull volcano, Iceland
Glacial flood from the eruption of Eyjafjallajokull volcano in Iceland has caused damage to infrastructure. A 400m section national highway number 1 to the east of Markarfljót bridge and sections of the road east of Seljalandsá river have been washed away. National route 1 is closed from Thverá to Thorvaldseyri. The road close to Bleiksá river, in the Fljótshlíd district, is impassable in places. Volcanic ash is expected to continue falling south of the glacier overnight. There is a risk that Katla volcano nearby may also erupt. If Katla erupts, the effects of glacial floods could be one hundred times worse than that seen this week at Eyjafjallajokull volcano.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

To be honest, I am a soldier by trade, but have also been educated via convential univesity and OPEN uni.... The results are the same though.....

I am a medic and build my life around that.....

We are standing by......

But will correct as of when...

Amen......

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
For remember it is said "For no Man (or woman) yes dear)lol or Angel, knows that hour"

but here's some things u can watch for , and if u see any of these things or all of these things in what may seems like a very short time, prepare yourselves,
for the End of an Age is upon u.

and well i really think i gets kinda rough for a while, but it will all work out in the end.

After all it would be kind of a waste to chuck it all after so much work. u know.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
oh ya the prepare yourselves part see AnnMarie69
lol

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Sorry was in a hurry "damn dislexia" thats ----->Anmarie96

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Getting light on Ejya

www.vodafone.is...

wind has shifted