It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

if you look close you see that the wind is chancing to?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
they just say there wil be no flights for this saterday in europe. sad for the people to stay over night.

www.nuvideo.nl...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
If you look at the predictions for the jet stream for next week, the wind direction does not change (over the UK) so if that holds true and the volcano continues to erupt (which at present looking at the web cam and the helicorders, is pretty big right now), the disruption could go on all next week!

The helicorder in particular is showing the greatest activity is happening right now for at least the last 12 hours!

[edit on 17-4-2010 by Temperature Drop]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Qantas is saying flights wil be cancelled for at least another week.

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Temperature Drop

Is there any explanation for the jet stream currently over Europe? Does it normally flow this way? Seems odd...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I think this unfortunately is going to permanently change the face of the airline industry.

How long can they survive without revenue?
How much will have to be re-funded in canceled tickets alone?
People are stranded all over the world - spending money they weren't planning too on food and hotel accomodation, as well as being prevented from making money due to their absence from work.
Mail isn't being delivered internationally. The list goes on and on.
I think its inevitable that we'll see hundreds if not thousands of lay offs and the bankruptcy / collapse of several airlines.

I do not see any significant amount of flights happening before Monday or Tuesday next week and that's if the eruption stops in the next couple of hours. Sadly by then it will likely be to late already.

Enjoy the beauty but please remember the consequences happening right now as well.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ibiubu

no.. there is an fenomen happening the last half year.. called reversed occileration...
normally low pressure fronts at iceland and high pressure at the Azores..

last half year it is reversed... that couses the extreem winter we had at the northern part of the earth..

just bad luck that the volcano erupts now...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

considering the probarbillity of 75% that Katla will follow erupting...the possibility is there that it could take a long time that plains will fly again...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

I had read about katla and how it historically erupts after this one does, I was mildly suprised to see it was not brought up earlier in this thread, and have been checking back to see if anyone would ever mention it, finally!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

Perhaps it will also make people invest in other avenues.. since the other industries have taken quite a hit from the aviation industry.. rather than placing lots of eggs in one basket

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

katla is years overtime considering history...so I expect that her chamber is fully filled up.... guess all odds are there for an huge event... :-(

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Imagine if not only Katla erupted but Laki too, like a chain reaction, that could be a major global disaster unlike anything we have seen.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by who-me?
I think this unfortunately is going to permanently change the face of the airline industry.

How long can they survive without revenue?
How much will have to be re-funded in canceled tickets alone?
People are stranded all over the world - spending money they weren't planning too on food and hotel accomodation, as well as being prevented from making money due to their absence from work.
Mail isn't being delivered internationally. The list goes on and on.
I think its inevitable that we'll see hundreds if not thousands of lay offs and the bankruptcy / collapse of several airlines.

I do not see any significant amount of flights happening before Monday or Tuesday next week and that's if the eruption stops in the next couple of hours. Sadly by then it will likely be to late already.

Enjoy the beauty but please remember the consequences happening right now as well.

Quit the doom mongering. Just be assured of 3 facts.

1. Europe is not the centre of the world
2. Majority of humans do not sit and whine when crisis strikes. They think of solutions.
3. The volcanic ash cloud does not live forever.

Europe is not the centre of the world, or solely dependent on air flights for passenger and cargo traffic. There are even more cheaper resources of transportation shuch as ships and rail.

European air industry as well as the maintenance crews will still hold on tho their jobs, for much needed rests or schedule maintenance programmes for their equipment.

The volcanic ash is not happening to the rest of the world. The airline industries is still thriving there. Atilia Air can still service flilghts between US and Asia without a dent in their profits.

Perishable goods in Europe can still send their goods by refrigeration to markets through ships and rail. Companies can still conduct their meetings and discussions online or at other avenues around the world.

A few days or weeks off due to unforseen circumstances is NOT going to lead to bankruptcies or lay-offs. That's why we must all have at least some savings to tide us over such periods.

There are worse consequences man-made that create it for you to worry about. It's not the end of the world. We mankind survived the horror financial crisis, the quakes, droughts and whatnots.

This piddling volcanic debris isnt gonna end mankind. Even if more worse comes, we mankind are resiliant and adaptable. Brains, pal, use it.

The only ones who wish to spread such fears and seek to benefit from such inconveniences are the Stockmarket cowboys from banks, hedge funds, SWF, brokerages.

The more fear mongering they spread subtlely, when the market drops, they pick up the differences and toast on champagne bought from profits.

So stop allowing fear to corrupt you or cause you to corrupt others and be manipulated.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Temperature Drop

Yes, looks at the moment that the high will weaken next week with low pressure developing in the Atlantic and upper winds coming in from a more southwesterly direction over Iceland - the normal 'default' situation. But until then, any further ash is going to be heading more directly down over the British Isles.

And of Katla goes, then in comparison, all this will seem just a tiny, insignificant inconvenience!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Here a some pics from Nasa:

earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

rapidfire

rapidfire

mod edit, attempt to fix links

[edit on Sat Apr 17 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Warning from healthcare:

Icelandic volcano health warning. www.webmd.boots.com...

On CNN Yesterday: www.cnn.com...

Even the financial world is concerning: sify.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Hardly doom mongering as you so eloquently put it. Putting yourself on a pedestal much?
If you disagree with my post there's no need to be some holier then thou objectionable "insert choice word here"

1. Europe is not the centre of the world
2. Majority of humans do not sit and whine when crisis strikes. They think of solutions.
3. The volcanic ash cloud does not live forever.

1. Never said it was, btw look at my location in my profile - not likely to say it either am I.
2. I'm not whining or complaining either, read my post again.
3. I didn't say that either, I said at least Monday or Tuesday thats 72 hours or so depending where you are in the world. Not ever.

The rest of your reply isn't worth even responding too, you have twisted and added to my relatively simple statements and observations in order to implicate me as someone who is intentionally spreading fear.
I am not and object to your response and the tone in which it was made.
Hope that's clear. Were supposed to deny ignorance not imply it.

Next time you get the urge to spout off and take someones comments out of context do a little research. To be specific to this thread have a look here. That's a forum full of professional pilots who are directly affected by this eruption. Or are they all your so called fear mongers as well?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Well I was meant to fly to Iceland at 2.20 today and the flight has been cancelled.

It was actually one of the only flights in the UK that was going to be allowed - I was flying from Glasgow and up until the early hours of this morning we had clear skies

I don't know whether to hang on and wait to see if I can get a flight later in the week. However, I will lose money on accommodation I've rented and the car hire I've already paid for. Me and my girlfriend don't have much time off so we might just go somewhere in the UK instead - but we both really would have loved to go to Iceland.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
now the glaciers are melting wat will be the result of that loss of weight on the mountain flanks of the volcano's...

guess that the pressure inside of it will relief at an certain point...

[edit on 17-4-2010 by ressiv]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Another interesting article - show be of special interest to those that think closure of airspace is unnecessary or an over-reaction.

www.flightglobal.com...

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join