It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
The eruption is visible on these webcams:

eldgos.mila.is...

eldgos.mila.is...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Hmmm, Katla tremors on the increase... ??

hraun.vedur.is...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Katla was mentioned a couple of pages back
and heaps on other Iceland threads.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ

hraun.vedur.is...

umm not goood .

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel

hraun.vedur.is...

umm not goood .

Not good at all.. keep an eye on it...

No quakes in that area recently though.. en.vedur.is...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

1. No, Europe is not the centre of the world, I'm not sure what you consider to be the "centre of the world" but if the winds change the ash could be blown to the US and Canada.

3. It won't last forever, but there is no way of telling how long this eruption will last.
www.csmonitor.com...
It could even last a few years.
Add on to that the fact that Hekla, another big volcano in Iceland, is pretty punctual in that it erupts every 10 years or so, it erupted in 1970, 1980-1981, 1991 and the last time it erupted was in 2000. Now it's 2010. AND Katla. Katla, as has been mentioned many times in this thread and other threads about the Eyjafjallajökull eruption, has always in the past followed with an even bigger eruption.
www.examiner.com...
Geologists have also warned that Grímsvötn, a volcano in Vatnajökull, the biggest glacier in Iceland that, that last erupted in 2004 might be about to erupt. Seismic activity around Grímsvötn that began around the same time the Eyjafjallajökull eruption began is very similar to that recorded before the 2004 eruption.
www.visir.is...
In this news article Páll Einarsson, a professor of geology at the University of Iceland, warns that Katla, Grímsvötn and Hekla might all erupt in the very near future, and also warns of a possible new site of volcanic activity in Upptyppingar, citing seismic activity characteristic of volcanic eruptions.

Here's an updated picture of the ash cloud:
upload.wikimedia.org...

[edit on 17-4-2010 by Rev.Fenrir]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4b7b4aec1c76.jpg[/atsimg]

vfone is experiencing very heavy traffic

snapped this one just b 4 it went off again

that's a big solid wall of black

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

The Mila cams are all good
I prefer to watch the moving images....

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
That IS a big solid wall of black.

Good Picture. I like it ;-P

Hope it keeps going well ;-P

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Update: Italy closing airspace to.

www.kfsm.com...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Iceland Volcano Activity Intensifies

The activity of the volcano under the under the Eyjafjallajokull glacier in Iceland is intensifying, Iceland scientists, cited by the Russian information agency ITAR-TASS, report Saturday.

www.novinite.com...

[edit on 17-4-2010 by MoorfNZ]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rev.Fenrir

1. No, Europe is not the centre of the world, I'm not sure what you consider to be the "centre of the world" but if the winds change the ash could be blown to the US and Canada.

3. It won't last forever, but there is no way of telling how long this eruption will last.
www.csmonitor.com...
It could even last a few years.
Add on to that the fact that Hekla, another big volcano in Iceland, is pretty punctual in that it erupts every 10 years or so, it erupted in 1970, 1980-1981, 1991 and the last time it erupted was in 2000. Now it's 2010. AND Katla. Katla, as has been mentioned many times in this thread and other threads about the Eyjafjallajökull eruption, has always in the past followed with an even bigger eruption.
www.examiner.com...
Geologists have also warned that Grímsvötn, a volcano in Vatnajökull, the biggest glacier in Iceland that, that last erupted in 2004 might be about to erupt. Seismic activity around Grímsvötn that began around the same time the Eyjafjallajökull eruption began is very similar to that recorded before the 2004 eruption.
www.visir.is...
In this news article Páll Einarsson, a professor of geology at the University of Iceland, warns that Katla, Grímsvötn and Hekla might all erupt in the very near future, and also warns of a possible new site of volcanic activity in Upptyppingar, citing seismic activity characteristic of volcanic eruptions.

Here's an updated picture of the ash cloud:
upload.wikimedia.org...

[edit on 17-4-2010 by Rev.Fenrir]

Thanks for the info.

1. By center of the world, I meant the point whereby all commerce begins and ends, as in response to the economic issues posted in response to the egoistical and backtracking person, which Europe is not.

3. As those volcanoes you mentioned had blown its top before, it is no different with economic preparedness as in the past. Air flights are not something that was invented just yesterday.

I do not doubt that volcanic activities are on the boil, and have no geological issues with it as they are beyond human control. The only issues I comment on is only those of economic ones.

Instead of over-reacting to such occurences, which had never doomed mankind before, and highly unlikely to do so now, we should be comming forth with solutions to overcome its inconveniences.

There is no 'holier than thou' crap in searching for solutions, as accused of me by that particular poster, probably frustrated that he couldn't earn a buck more in these times or inconvenient by the flight schedules.

I thank you once again for your info, and may everyone in those areas take precautions or at least particapate in drills, so that none may lose their lives.

Cheers! :-)

[edit on 17-4-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

"ya think the people are still there in those houses?"

They are not allowed to sleep at home but can do the farm work and other stuff.

Katla last erupted 1918 and you can google the effect that it had on the world, horrible winters and many more..
Maybe this is a good thing for global warming?

Really good fact comment from Rev.Fenrir here above, says though everything that I have said earlier.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Hey guys - on the Hvolsvelli cam, it looks like a large greyish brown cloud on the ground near where cloud meets ground... or am I seeing things - is this a pyroclastic flow or would you not get one from this sort of eruption?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I'm not suggesting the end of the world(not that you accused me of doing that), but to my knowledge this kind of far-reaching disruption has never been caused by volcanic activity in the last century or two, and this is nothing compared to what Katla could possibly do.
The last eruption of Katla was in 1918 and was relatively minor compared to past eruptions. The difference is that in 1918 trans-atlantic air-travel was none, large jumbo jets were non-existent, and we hadn't even discovered the effect ash could cause to aircraft.
The point I'm trying to make is that Hekla, Katla and Grímsvötn erupting all at once could have unforeseen and unparalleled consequences because of the relatively new technology of air-travel. What we're seeing right now is the most "non-manmade" disruption on air-travel - ever. And it could get so much worse.
Even if something like this has happened before it has at least not coincided with a major financial crisis, so the economic effects of this could be major, no?

Then of course there's the poisonous gas, á la Lakagígar.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Hey guys - on the Hvolsvelli cam, it looks like a large greyish brown cloud on the ground near where cloud meets ground... or am I seeing things - is this a pyroclastic flow or would you not get one from this sort of eruption?

Because it appears to be directly below the main cloud, I would tend to believe that the ground 'shadow' is actually a layer of rock/ash/pumice/etc thats condensed from out of the hot cloud as it rises and quickly cools and deposited itself (rained) onto the ground.

[edit on 17/4/10 by tauristercus]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

Yeah, I think you're right - it's barely moved in last few mins...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
www.pressan.is...

Also wanted to tell you that I updated my flickr photostream and added some pictures of the first eruption last month, went there 1. april. Amazing experience!
www.flickr.com...

and found this one on flickr www.flickr.com... amazing!!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Rev.Fenrir

If Hekla, Katla and Grímsvötn will erupt all at once, here in Europe Air Traffic will be our last problem...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I may have been staring at the screen too long, but does anyone else see changes occuring on the left slope of the volcano (dark area above snow level sloping right to left)? I keep thinking I can see steam / colour changes there - could be the cam...

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join