It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FYI: Testing new advertising approach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Over the next few days, some additional advertising will appear on ATS, however, members will likely not notice at all... most of the new ads will only be seen by non-member guests (about 80% of our traffic). Also, in an effort to provide some funding for future ideas, we're experimenting with some controlled [gulp] pop-ups on a few board pages... again, only seen by guests, not members. These should be among the most well-behaved pop-ups... the reason we're trying this is that these ads provide slightly more income. However, if anyone experiences problems, they will die just as quickly as the ads died this weekend when we had a problem. (If all goes well, the pop-up funding will be dedicated to launching an ATS merchandise section.) If all goes well, we'll end up seeing a bit less advertising for members, and a bit more for non-member guests (in the board sections). Our goal is to always provide a safe, secure, and optimized environment for our valued members, so a reduced ad environment makes sense as an additional perk of membership. If anyone hears of, or encounters problems with the pop-up ads when not logged-in, please let me know immediately by e-mail ([email protected]) or board u2u. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
will there be some sort of prominent notice to guests that registering will give them the added perk of removing the pop ups?

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha will there be some sort of prominent notice to guests that registering will give them the added perk of removing the pop ups?
It's already there. This appears at the top of every page for non-member guests:

Welcome to the Above Top Secret discussion board, the Internet's most-respected destination for reasoned and balanced discussion on alternative topics of politics, scandals, conspiracies, science, UFO's, extra-terrestrials, myths, and terrorism. Registered members can post in all forums, participate in debate tournaments, contribute to collaborative fiction, engage in live chat with other members, earn points to use in our store, post news stories to our community news portal, join our SETI@home team, use our free upload area for members, apply for a free ATS Member Blog, and much more. Registered users also see a more enhanced version of the site with member avatars, background colors, and members also see fewer ads and NO Pop-Up ads while using the board.
[Edited on 4-6-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
duh! has that bit always been there??
LOL I noticed the tiny little almost invisible grey arrow before, but managed to miss that! sorry

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by pantha duh! has that bit always been there??
Yup... but only for non-members.
Also, the bit about ads is in a larger font, and bright white so they don't miss it.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well, I have noticed those bloody annoying AOL ads that stick themselves in the middle of the screen, and even Mozilla Firebird isn't blocking them. That, and that full-page popup on BTS.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hecate100 Well, I have noticed those bloody annoying AOL ads that stick themselves in the middle of the screen, and even Mozilla Firebird isn't blocking them. That, and that full-page popup on BTS.
Are you getting these when you're logged in? You shouldn't.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
As soon as I come onto the page (either ATS or BTS), the AOL thing is there. Once I log in, it disappears. You're right -- the full-page popup was because I wasn't logged into BTS.

I am curious, though, as to why those logged into ATS aren't automatically logged into BTS, especially when the BTS tab is clicked from within ATS.

*getting dizzy from all the superfluity of three-letter anagrams*

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hecate100 I am curious, though, as to why those logged into ATS aren't automatically logged into BTS, especially when the BTS tab is clicked from within ATS.
Once you're logged into either site, your cookie lasts 30 days. You shouldn't need to log in again unless you choose to log out.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Well, after a cookie problem I had some time ago, I've set my browser to immediately delete cookies upon closing (at the rest are cleared at every comp startup). Guess I'll just have to put up with the AOL thingy. At least it's not as annoying as the floating, flashing monstrosity that made me quit visiting Capitol Hill Blue!

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by Hecate100]

top topics

join