It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huckabee likens gay marriage to incest, polygamy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

WASHINGTON — Mike Huckabee, a possible Republican presidential candidate in 2012, says the effort to allow gays and lesbians to marry is comparable to legalizing incest, polygamy and drug use.

Huckabee also told college journalists last week that gay couples should not be permitted to adopt.

"Children are not puppies," he said. Huckabee visited The College of New Jersey in Ewing, N.J., last Wednesday to speak to the Student Government Association. He also was interviewed by a campus news magazine, The Perspective, which published an article on Friday.

Huckabee told the interviewer that not every group's interests deserve to be accommodated, if their lifestyle is outside of what he called "the ideal."

"That would be like saying, well there's there are a lot of people who like to use drugs so let's go ahead and accommodate those who want to use drugs. There are some people who believe in incest, so we should accommodate them. There are people who believe in polygamy, should we accommodate them?" he said, according to a transcript of the interview.

The 2008 presidential hopeful and former Arkansas governor also said that deciding which lifestyles should be accommodated and which ones should not creates a slippery slope. "Why do you get to choose that two men are OK but one man and three women aren't OK?" he asked.

www.google.com...

Wow. Say goodbye to your presidential hopes for 2012 Huckabee.

Comparing gay marriage to drug use, incest, and polygamy makes tons of sense!

Huckabee told the interviewer that not every group's interests deserve to be accommodated, if their lifestyle is outside of what he called "the ideal."

Yes, we should all live by what Huckabee considers to be the ideal...after all...he knows best.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Comparing it to drug use and incest is bad but I've never really understood why polygamy is against the law let alone considered evil by so many.

Polygamy has existed successfully in many cultures without being damaging and many other apes have multiple "partners".

But I agree that Huckabee is digging a grave for himself here.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I totally get why the link to Polygamy.....as in both a 'gay marraige' and a polygamists marriage' it is out of the lawful modern norm.

I see ZERO connection to incest.... and think that statement makes NO SENSE in any way. Its a word just tossed in by people who know very little of what they speak and LOVE to try ans use it as an argument 'topper'....as it freeks people out on every level. It is close to retarded to try and INCLUDE the incest topic into a discussion about LEGAL MARRIAGES, as I do not see any link between the 2 on any level.

Personally I think ALL adults should be able to decide what type of family construct they want to surround themselves in. I am an advocate for Gay Marriage and I am also for legalizing polygamy in whatever variety it represents.

I find it ~INANE~ that somehow on this planet the peoples of the nations have ALLOWED any government interference on deciding who they may or may not love.

I also find it strange in some foggy kind of way that many people have the idea in their head that if Gay people are 'allowed' to marry that this would somehow nullify the sacredness of their own marriage. Whats up with that?? WHY would, how other people build their family somehow change the wedded bliss of others? I find is SO STRANGE that many really do think it has some bearing on their personal family construct.
This subject never ceases to baffle me as I watch others try and keep 'legal marriage' some kind of an exclusive club. Was it not very NORMAL in the bible for men to take more than one wife?? So if you believe in the bible you SHOULD very well be supporting polygamy on every level.......
I liken polygamy and gay marriage as very closely related ideas, as they BOTH are about choosing your own spouse or spouses.

I will NEVER understand how people think what goes on behind closed doors is something they think they should have a 'SAY' about......its ridiculous to say the least.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

Hmm, interesting point about polygamy. I see absolutely no reason why a relationship of multiple (more than 2) consenting adults should be considered immoral or wrong.

Huckabee... If you ask me, Mike Huckabee needs to practice shoving his foot in his mouth.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
He's got a point.... albeit not a very good one.

But incest? Similar to gay marriage? Really, he went there?

Polygamy, ok, but really that's just a cultural thing.

There is gay behaviour throughout the animal kingdom, bonobos for example, male and females, both get it on 'freaky' style, (the kind of stuff republican leaders pay to see!)

Mike Huckabee (aka babyface) is an unusual person, all around.

There's my ten foot pole slightly touching this subject, I'll politely leave it at that.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Yes that was a very stupid comment to make for a candidate but now we know he won't make it far.

However he is right in the sense that it is hard to define which lifestyle should be made legal and which should not.

Reason tells all should be legal as long as they don't interfere with other people's right.

I think he would have been more popular if he had supported polygamy instead of bashing gays lol.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Who the heck had hopes for Huckabee 2012? I can't sit through his show much less 4 years of him.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by townio

Really no lifestyle should be illegal unless it infringes upon the rights and freedoms of others. The idea that we should be able to tell each other how to live our own lives is kinda anti-American. I don't understand the anit-gay marriage crowd, gay people are no different from any of us, they are just people too and all they want is the same rights that heterosexuals have.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

...I've never really understood why polygamy is against the law let alone considered evil by so many."

I totally agree, women should be allowed to have as many husbands as they like.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
There is gay behaviour throughout the animal kingdom, bonobos for example, male and females, both get it on 'freaky' style,

You know, I've always been amused at this argument being used in defense of the "normalcy" of homosexuality. Regardless of anyone's opinion on the core issue here, the animal kingdom really isn't a great bastion of right and wrong behavior in higher intelect lifeforms. Monkeys also eat their own poop, practice infanticide, and are highly incestuous... all traits I cannot imagine anyone would point towards in defense of a human opting to attempt any of those acts.

I "get" what Huckabee is trying to say here. I think he could have and should have chosen his words and comparisons a bit more judiciously, however I'm pretty certain he knew the anthill he was about to stir up and was prepared for it. For what it's worth, I agree 100% with the comparison to polygamy and, in some ways, I understand his other concerns. The base issue here is breaking down the social restraints preventing consenting adults from getting married. Once you cross that 1 man, 1 woman traditional line, what's to say any line will be uncrossable down the road? Most states have laws that prevent 1st or 2nd cousins from marrying, yet in many cultures those marriages occur regularly. Do we want that in the US?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Personally i do not have anything against huckabee. He is often a very well spoken man when it comes to secular matters. I actually like watching his show on Fox News. When he brings his opponents on he is amazingly respectful to them and actually attempts to find common ground. I honestly think politics needs that sort of attitude these days. I think he realizes that there are people on his opposing sides who take their stances for the right reasons, and that is something i try to do a lot.

However, this is easily one of the most ridiculous things he has said.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

practice infanticide

We've done that for centuries and still do. We behave almost identically to other apes except that we call some behaviors good, some evil and some benign.

We are just animals, animals with big brains who use language to help form societies.

My point is that we humans like to hold ourselves up as high and mighty or even divine when in most ways we are just as primitive as other apes. So we don't have to look to others in the animal kingdom, because we're part of it. Our own morality comes from our evolution and there is evidence of selfless and altruistic behaviors in nature, heroic behaviors we would call GOOD.

People need to be more accepting. If there is no reason for a behavior to be viewed as socially abhorrent or harmful than why continue claiming it is socially abhorrent or harmful. Where is the harm in homosexuality? We can see the harm in drug use, the damage done to oneself and sometimes to others via drug related crime and we can see the harm done by incest and abuse but where is the damage done by homosexuality? There is none... but there is harm in denying people their rights based on something they were born as.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Hey! If it wasn't Huckabee with the message, we might pause to consider that it's a pretty rational position. All are victimless crimes, matters of choice, makes sense to me as long as you don't confuse incest with child molesting. Flame on.

gj

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
Yes, we should all live by what Huckabee considers to be the ideal...after all...he knows best.

"Huckabee Knows Best"... Sounds like a 50's TV series.

I think any consenting adults should be able to enter into any legal agreement that they want to as long as they aren't interfering or suppressing the rights of others. That's my personal position.

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
I also find it strange in some foggy kind of way that many people have the idea in their head that if Gay people are 'allowed' to marry that this would somehow nullify the sacredness of their own marriage. Whats up with that??

I share your confusion.
And I have asked that same question many times, to NO avail. No one can answer it. But I think I've (finally) figured it out for myself.

What I think it comes down to is that a certain segment of society wants to control the behavior of everyone in that society. That's not how it works here in our Republic, so they have to come up with a "reasonable" argument. Truth is, they don't REALLY think gay marriage will affect their marriage, but they want to give the impression that gay marriage will somehow interfere with or suppress their rights, as I bolded above. And saying it will affect their marriage is the only thing they can come up with that makes it look like gay marriage somehow infringes on their rights.

But when it comes right down to it, no one has ever been able to give an answer to that question, because the assertion makes no sense whatsoever.

I don't think Huckabee had a snowball's chance anyway, but this kind of thinking just melted the snowball before it even got to the gates. He is a nice guy, though.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

Originally posted by Republican08
There is gay behaviour throughout the animal kingdom, bonobos for example, male and females, both get it on 'freaky' style,

You know, I've always been amused at this argument being used in defense of the "normalcy" of homosexuality. Regardless of anyone's opinion on the core issue here, the animal kingdom really isn't a great bastion of right and wrong behavior in higher intelect lifeforms. Monkeys also eat their own poop, practice infanticide, and are highly incestuous... all traits I cannot imagine anyone would point towards in defense of a human opting to attempt any of those acts.

I "get" what Huckabee is trying to say here. I think he could have and should have chosen his words and comparisons a bit more judiciously, however I'm pretty certain he knew the anthill he was about to stir up and was prepared for it. For what it's worth, I agree 100% with the comparison to polygamy and, in some ways, I understand his other concerns. The base issue here is breaking down the social restraints preventing consenting adults from getting married. Once you cross that 1 man, 1 woman traditional line, what's to say any line will be uncrossable down the road? Most states have laws that prevent 1st or 2nd cousins from marrying, yet in many cultures those marriages occur regularly. Do we want that in the US?

Good response.
I too always facepalm myself when someone tries to bring up homosexuality, (hypersexuality), in the animal kingdom. Animals aren't the standard i would prefer humans to live by.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Romans 10:9]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeathShield
Personally i do not have anything against huckabee. He is often a very well spoken man when it comes to secular matters.

Oh, I donno...we Canucks have a special relationship with him:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Meh, if two consenting related adults want in on the incest train to retardation let them have it. It's not like a family line that sees incest as a favorable option could be saved from their inbred tendencies in a generation anyway.

Government has absolutely no business getting involved with the interpersonal affairs of adults.

It shouldnt be promoting anything, condemning anything or acknowledging anything. No business.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
reply to post by burdman30ott6

practice infanticide

We've done that for centuries and still do. We behave almost identically to other apes except that we call some behaviors good, some evil and some benign.

We are just animals, animals with big brains who use language to help form societies.

My point is that we humans like to hold ourselves up as high and mighty or even divine when in most ways we are just as primitive as other apes. So we don't have to look to others in the animal kingdom, because we're part of it. Our own morality comes from our evolution and there is evidence of selfless and altruistic behaviors in nature, heroic behaviors we would call GOOD.

People need to be more accepting. If there is no reason for a behavior to be viewed as socially abhorrent or harmful than why continue claiming it is socially abhorrent or harmful. Where is the harm in homosexuality? We can see the harm in drug use, the damage done to oneself and sometimes to others via drug related crime and we can see the harm done by incest and abuse but where is the damage done by homosexuality? There is none... but there is harm in denying people their rights based on something they were born as.

The problem with homosexuality, (leaving spiritual issues out of it), is that if left unchecked, it leads to insanity. When grown men prance around in too-toos, leather a$$-less pants, dress like priests and nuns, (the mocking of religion is rampant in their parades), devil horns, angel wings, whip themselves, wear dog collars, have anal stretching shows, give oral/anal sex to one another, sell dildos shaped like buddha, Christ and other sacred religious figures at street booths, and all the other INSANE crap that they do IN PUBLIC AT THEIR PARADES AND FESTIVALS, then it's really not good for society...especially for kids.
When they have free reign to flaunt their hypersexuality, that's a slippery slope for sure. Children don't need to see two adults engaged in ANY type of sexual acts, regardless of gender. Throw in that the two adults are the same gender, and all that other INSANE crap that goes on, and it's clear that the homo's need to be held back.
Flame away.....you're only lying to yourself if you think that what i say isn't true.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romans 10:9

The problem with homosexuality, (leaving spiritual issues out of it), is that if left unchecked, it leads to insanity. When grown men prance around in too-toos, leather a$$-less pants, dress like priests and nuns, (the mocking of religion is rampant in their parades), devil horns, angel wings, whip themselves, wear dog collars, have anal stretching shows, give oral/anal sex to one another, sell dildos shaped like buddha, Christ and other sacred religious figures at street booths, and all the other INSANE crap that they do IN PUBLIC AT THEIR PARADES AND FESTIVALS, then it's really not good for society...especially for kids.
When they have free reign to flaunt their hypersexuality, that's a slippery slope for sure. Children don't need to see two adults engaged in ANY type of sexual acts, regardless of gender. Throw in that the two adults are the same gender, and all that other INSANE crap that goes on, and it's clear that the homo's need to be held back.
Flame away.....you're only lying to yourself if you think that what i say isn't true.

No flames...just remarking that the difference between an ignorant homophobic rant and reality is made up by facts.

I'm sure you can cite your academic sources...journal articles would be helpful.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by Romans 10:9

No flames...just remarking that the difference between an ignorant homophobic rant and reality is made up by facts.

I'm sure you can cite your academic sources...journal articles would be helpful.

Any type of 'festivals' or 'parades' involving hypersexuality are perverted and dangerous to society and children....the gay ones are the worst of all.
Look up some pics from some of the San Fran street festivals and tell me what you see isn't insane.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join