It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Discussion about Dreadlocks.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
People who grow dreadlocks can "talk the talk."

The question then becomes, can they "walk the walk" ?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I"m not racist or anything.

But theres something about dreads on a white person that just does not look right, ........ at all.

I understand why black people do it, ... they can't do much with their hair type. But when i see a white guy or especialy a white girl it makes me cringe, .... they look horrible on them.

and it gives me the impression that they just did it to be cool or something.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Black guys can pull off the look quite well.

White guys with dreads look like rejects from a Nu Metal band.

$0.02

TheAssoc.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

What are your thoughts on dreadlocks? Do you automatically judge someone if they have dreadlocks?

Yes, can't really help it.
The initial reaction is the person is:

1. A user of recreational drugs
2. Unconcerned with basic hygiene
3. Probably rebellious of society

Doesn't mean that it can't be overcome by getting to know the person, but basic stereotypes exist for a reason.... Like it or not, they are our first general impression of someone.

And yes, dreads on a white person look ridiculous. I've never seen a white guy or gal rock that look well.... Just my personal opinion. If you like it, more power to you, but you can't expect the rest of society to not react to it.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
When I see a caucasoid with dreadlocks I just shake my head. It's like seeing a young caucasoid with a dew rag on.

Whites with afros looks cool however.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by KyleOrtonArmy
Whites with afros looks cool however.

Agreed.

If I had an afro, I'd never stop wearing a powder blue tux with frills on the shirt.

Dreads on white people still look ridiculous.

TheAssoc.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

The fact that you agree with me and your great avatar =

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The Predator has dreadlocks.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
dreadlocks are gross and disgusting.

Just get a haircut. short back and sides. much more attractive, to both wimmen and employers..

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
My hair and my mums hair is strange (for white chicks). I used to have nice smooth straight hair. I am heading toward the grey side now, but 90% of my hair over the last 7 or so years has grown wiry. Its not bristly as such, but instead of being round the hair is growing flat and kinky. I hate it and my mum has had this kind of hair her whole life (really starting to understand why she tells me she doesn't like hers).

About 5 years ago I went for braids, and wore then for about 12 months. Kind of a dreads test I guess.

I'm about to start dreading my hair. The reason behind this is all the wiry bits that stand out like 1/2 a 'fro! I like my hair long but I hate brushing/combing it because fresh brushed and clean it last untangled for about 5 minutes.

And as for the smell - yuk - I NEVER EVER had that problem. You gotta wash them in water. lemon and bicarb, vinegar rinse and water rinse and MAKE SURE they dry.

Nothing spiritual about having them for me, they are purely a lifestyle choice and I have been thinking about it for the last 5 years.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I don't like dreads. I don't judge people who have them, I just don't like the idea of doing that to shiny, healthy hair.

That is just my personal preference though.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Some time back I began growing locks, but after six months of the dreads not "catching" I combed them out. For me initially it was for style, but as I continued with the process it started become more of a spiritual thing. I started trying to be more "natural". At first it was because I only wanted natural products in my hair but after a while that branched out to me only wanting healthy food, etc. For me it was becoming a lifestyle. Unfortunately, it's one of these things that you have to be ready for because it is a committment. At the time I wasn't ready for them, but I think I'm getting there again.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Dreads are okay. I have no hardcore opinions either way. I find dreads on some women pretty sexy.
I dont judge someone from their appearance. I try to take ppl for who they are, not how they look. If a person's to be judged it should be by their actions, not their own personal preference as to how they want to carry themselves in life.
My question is-why would you care if someone judges you for your choice of hairstyle?? If it matters how others view you then dont do it. You do it for yourself because its what you want, regardless of what others think. If they dont judge you on your hair itll be your mode of dress or what you drive, what job you have or where you live. It's your life to live, live as you see fit. If it makes you happy....
My brother has dreads and he carries 2 bachelor degrees, one in music and 1 in journalism, and 1 doctorate in entymology, crazy combo, I know. Theres a gentleman who has tattoos over his entire face thats a proffessor who travels the country teaching diversity and how others tend to judge, assuming ppl who do these things are losers.
You dont have to be dirty to have dreads. There's this stuff called 'Dread-Head' you can get online or at a local 'Hot Topix'. It comes with shampoo and some locking agent. You can have them almost immediately. You will have to do daily upkeep with them though. You can wash you hair every single day if you use the shampoo provided. I say 'Rock it'.

Kim

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Dreadlocks - the coolest hairstyle anybody could have in my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join