It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do people believe in god?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

the army breaks you down takes away most of your individuality if not all of it and makes you part of the "the service" thats the definition of brainwashing

I did find something we agree on in your three replys to my last post. I
really don't see what difference it makes. Anyway Ferdinand the Great
said this, " The day soldiers start to think for themselves, there will be none left in the ranks".

reply to post by ashanu90

i bet you stole everything you said in that post from a website, you could at least have placed a bb code there

Oh great, so now I have to say thanks for the compliment.
What a nice thing to say. In sort of a backhanded kind of way.

You must mean plagerised. Big time rules against that here partner.
Wouldn't even think of it. It's now obvious who would though. Just don't
be doing that cause it's a lifetime ban.
Obviously I don't need to that.

1 a REAL person of faith would play nice seeing to it that playing nice is part f christianity

That's really funny. Who made up that rule?

[edit on 18-4-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

1 a REAL person of faith would play nice seeing to it that playing nice is part f christianity

That's really funny. Who made up that rule?

[edit on 18-4-2010 by randyvs]

well there was this one guy who may or may not have existed a long time ago, he said some crazy things like turn the other cheek and Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. and Judge not, that you be not judged
sound familiar to you? nah you probably never heard of the guy
but i guess it doesnt matter anyway

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Because, even at the height of our intelligence, we couldnt not build the universe. And yet something did. Whatever it is, is surely god!

The question is not wether or not there is a god, but what is it?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

have you answered the question of the OP yet?

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   

have you answered the question of the OP yet?

Yes many times. Just not on this thread, so my bad. thanks for pointing that out.

Why?
I think you are asking me in a round about cheezy kind of way, why I believe.
So I will answer the question in that light.
While you have assumed, that it was instilled in me by my upbringing, my
parents. Nothing could be futher from the truth.
My parents never went to church with me once. They were from the mid-west, claimed christianity, that was about it. I grew up with the least amount of spiritual guidance (influence) you could imagine.
I could have just as easily ended up an atheist. Or what ever suited my fancy.
So early on I was a kid with a world of different things to believe wide open to him.
So I learned the basics of all those most popular beliefs. Looked at a few
of the less populars, enough to realise why they were less popular.
They were assinine.
I was very serious that I was going to find the one that made the most sense.
The No. 1 question I had to answer in my own mind was what?
Is there a God or not?
The first thing to hit me was,( I remember every bit of this like it was yesterday) why would I be asking this if there was no God. Then the
fact that I was already leaning in the direction of creation because there
(for me) was just no way so much beauty and perfection could just happen. Even as a little kid. I'm proud to say, I had that much figured out.
As a little kid atheism looked the least likely of all and evolution.

A superior being of a spiritual nature mighty and strong and everlasting because he is spirit. Why can't people wrap their head around that?
Because he demands obedience.
Something that as the creator he has every right to demand.
Especially when it is for our own good, cause we don't know it all. Still without any church I just well you can read the rest right here.

Something I wish to point out to you.
In the course of these exchanges with you. A wonderful opinion of me, by
you, is obviously the last thing I've cared about.
Now, what is your reaction to that?
Also if you will play along I have a test for you. Sort of an I.Q. sort of not.
Only one question to the test.

Most people have three names. The answer to this question has three words in it. The question is........

What are my three names?

well there was this one guy who may or may not have existed a long time ago, he said some crazy things like turn the other cheek and Do unto others as you would have others do unto you. and Judge not, that you be not judged

I only hope I know him well enough. Your talking about the same guy
that said not to give our pearls to swine. Or to waste time trying to
convince a fool. For they know not. So don't preach to the chior.

Goodnite.

[edit on 20-4-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

well that was definetley what i was waiting for, but i ask why didnt you just say it outright and save us all the trouble?

i admit that was more of a response than i expected good for you

so why would i know your three names? If i am not mistaken i have probably never met you. unless this is some sort of trick question i know your first name is randy and i imagine the rest of your name is a play on the word "devious" or they are your last two initials or something like that.
im going to guess your middle name in vincent and your last name is smith
if we are talking about your actual name that is

yes we have exchanged unpleasant banter i imagine its a mix of a bad start, personality conflict and, idealogical differences.

as a kid i too had a similair upbringing i grew up in the midwest as well, my mom and stepdad claimed christianity but never went to church, they however imposed it on me, i remember once when i first decided for myself that i didnt believe in god(this was around 10 or 11 years old) i told my mom this and i was slapped in the mouth. can you believe that? right then and there i decided something was definetley wrong with this belief system when parents imposed it on their children and had a "believe what i say or ill hurt you" attitude
but what made me stop believing is when i went to church with my friends that there was something wrong with the people there, they jumped up and down, sang with there eyes closed and head moving around all crazy like and had their arms raised in the air, to you that may sound like communion with god or basking in his glory or something, but to me it was a view of utter chaos and insanity, another thing that turned me away was that it seemed like the work of a fairy tale, people living to be 900 years old, magic talking bushes, talking snakes, insects apearing out of nowhere to ravage the land, it just was not believable and i decided i wanted no part of it.

but do not think i am ignorant to the ways of christianity i pick up alot of things and remember them, from all those crazy sundays

so strange we grew up similair but we are on completely different ends of the spectrum isnt it?

also about the pearls to swine thing, dont christians feel it is their duty to try to "save the souls" of everyone in sight? this would contradict the teachings of christ about the dont bother with non believers thing

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Just wondering Ashanu90, you seem to show a lot of ignorance towards any kind of religion. I do not know if you’re a frequent member of the Randi forum, but we wouldn’t have the kind of art and civilization we had today if it wasn’t for religion. A lot of people died for their countries expecting a better life after death, I am guessing a lot of people would not have fought if they thought after death there was nothing. If there was no religion back in the day, Our world will be so bland. Now religion has been a big cause of wars, but if your do your research, you should know the biggest wars are from civil unrests and different political views, and tyrannical dictators. I agree we do not need religion today. Spirituality I think we need. But I honestly would think a world without any religion is stupid. That is just my opinion. Our world history without religion would be such a sado machochistic world. Without religion people back in the day would tear each other apart. There was a different mentality back then, so i honestly think that if there was no religion throughout our history we would not exist at least with the mentality we have today. I think you are a pretty good member on here, just try not to say a bunch of stuff that you do not know about. I do not either, that is why I stay neutral throughout most conversations. To think us humans know the universe is the dumbest thing ever. We will never know, and if we do I think the result will shock the hell out of us. Have a good day man

posted on Apr, 20 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

well you are right there is a lot of stuff i dont know about religion, but theres also a lot of stuff i do know, im sure your the same way

you seem like a pretty good member yourself thanks

ive changed a little since some of my old threads
its funny we think were smarter than weve ever been at some point only to look back at the same point from the future and think "man was i ignorant"

im still skeptical about god religion and whatever else you can relate to it but as i said before these are my opinions

we may or may not know everything about the universe and the world around us, if we ever do it will be a long long time from now

good day to you as well

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

as a kid i too had a similair upbringing i grew up in the midwest as well, my mom and stepdad claimed christianity but never went to church, they however imposed it on me, i remember once when i first decided for myself that i didnt believe in god(this was around 10 or 11 years old) i told my mom this and i was slapped in the mouth. can you believe that? right then and there i decided something was definetley wrong with this belief system when parents imposed it on their children and had a "believe what i say or ill hurt you" attitude

Isn't it amazing the difference a little understanding can bring. I can
tell you this, my parents smacked me in the mouth many times . People from the Mid west are very much that way. The big difference is every time they did, I damn well had it com'in.
I'm positive they would never have done that over what I chose to believe
either. So were your parents good to you besides that? I mean I can
definetly see where that would cause resentment.
Yet then again when you are talk'in all the potatoes so to speak. I'm sure
you've grown and realised that really is just a mistake someone made
growing up. I won't press to much cause I don't know everything.
Anyway the only reason I climbed on your back is because you were very insulting to me personally. Through the things that I have chose to
believe. I wasn't defending God or religion. BTW We are the same in the way of organised religion. With that hoopla you speak of. I have nothing
to do with it.
It's all a joke to me as well. I just couldn't throw the baby Jesus out with the bathwater, if you know what I mean? Lots of people on this site share their views the same as you. They just keep the rederick down.
See I just look at what Christ did. No matter what anyone says he
believed in what he was doing and that alone makes him unique amoung men. According to...........what I believe.

so why would i know your three names? If i am not mistaken i have probably never met you. unless this is some sort of trick question i know your first name is randy and i imagine the rest of your name is a play on the word "devious" or they are your last two initials or something like that.

Of course it was a trick question. The correct answer was "I don't know".
Three words. Dosn't mean anything at all.

Be well.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

you know what im sorry for all the mean things ive said to you we definetley got off to a bad start
the trick question was actually pretty clever

and no my parents werent abusive or anything, they were just very religion territotial

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Raider of Truth:

For all we know what we see at the end of the tunnel is just the ending of your imagination.

That is an interesting comment, that stirs an odd thought to me,

So perhaps the potential extension of one's existence comes from extending one's imagination either in scope/scale &/or persistence through time?

My other thought is why do we even care if there is or is not a 'God'?

I am living MY life. Why would i even care?

Any proposed 'God' can urinate in & on your life, like some pissing cat, if you knowingly choose, but that is not my trip, ok?
God's presumptive authorship of ANYTHING is irrelevant to my living of my life. Take command, take ownership, but recognize that the only accountability you get/give is first & foremost to yourself(s).

Give up your hangups people, be free.
Be self-liberating.

The Universe awaits you with paused breath.

Glide into infinity.

reminder: it's smooth but Deadly ice cold.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by slank]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashanu90
hello ats i want to know why people believe in god

i have heard of people speaking of spiritual encounters and meeting god but this could be hallucination due to electro magnetism or brain damage

You've such 'straight to business' attitude it was actually entertaining reading.

I have to state something on this topic:

I've always been incredibly frustrated by how people are using the wrong tools when discussing religions. The most casual question is: "Do you believe in God?" Well that's the wrong question. Nobody cares who belives in what. The real question that should be asked is: "What is God to you?"

To some it's a bearded person sitting on a cloud. To most actually, I'm afraid. Some would say 'I don't know really what God is.' Well, for me the Bible is just a book of ethical lessons, spiced with symbolism, so that children can understand the lessons (at the important age.) God (nobody even knows what that word actually means) just means Love. Nothing else. God = Love. It takes spiritual intelligence to understand the concept, but that's all there is to it. And, as God means Love to me, I can't say I don't believe in it.

Religions are good for people with a hard life. They're also good for controlling the masses. They're good for the culture.

My religion is the universe, how shockingly amazing it is. I ask myself questions such as 'why does this all exist' and 'what is our purpose.' I guess the only reason I'm still a Christian is because my mom happens to partly work for the Church.

I deeply wish people would stop mixing religion together with science.

[edit on 21-4-2010 by Jonas86]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Jonas86

interesting post yourself
i like science as opposed to religion because you think with your head if you follow the path of science

religous people say this
"you will not find god here (points at head)
you will find him here (points at heart)"

the same exact thing was said about the hitler by the nazis
replace the word god with hitler

but neither of those are logical so i cannot follow that

im not condemning religion because of the nazis though

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ntech

Why do I believe in God? To put it very simply. I had a Acts 2 experience. I have actually heard the rushing of the wind. And the experience had a point and a purpose. It intended for me to have a supernatural study guide to the bible. It intended for me to learn things that are not apparent to simply reading it.

So yes there is something to it.

wats an acts 2 expieriance?

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

interesting post yourself
i like science as opposed to religion because you think with your head if you follow the path of science

religous people say this
"you will not find god here (points at head)
you will find him here (points at heart)"

The thing is, majority of people only mature to realize Santa doesn't exist, they develop onto the Concrete level, but never reach the ability to understand Symbolism. Then they become Atheists (usually girls around 18 years of age) when they start thinking it will make them look foolish if they believe in such fairytales.

Of course some don't like to be interpreted with the Fundamentalists...

Religion should never be made into anything serious, or associate it with science, history, biology...

You know, I don't care if you believe in the Mumin, or anything else, as long as it teaches you good ways of living the life.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonas86

You know, I don't care if you believe in the Mumin, or anything else, as long as it teaches you good ways of living the life.

good point
i always told myself if i ever became religous id probably be a bhudhist
i like the good karma mentality thing

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonas86

good point
i always told myself if i ever became religous id probably be a bhudhist
i like the good karma mentality thing

It's awful to watch sivilizations waging war against each other for not agreeing on details of the religions. All the intend to do is be loyal to their religion...

That's exactly what they're not.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join