It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people hide their ideological slant here on ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I've noticed this a lot on ATS. In a lot of my topics I'll make a question, or, I'll make a criticism of an ideology. Like I'm for the free-market myself, and, in a lot of my topics I'll say while I support the free-market, it requires an educated citizenry to keep going... and it doesn't help when producers mislead the public. I'll say something like that... and then someone who obviously is anti-capitalist, will come in and just trash capitalism... and it's like my topic didn't even intend to do that.

I've also gotten into discussions with people over ideological issues just because I brought up the corporate structure of the economy, and, how it's tied to government and what-not. Rather than talking about the core problem itself people seem to want to discuss the intricacies of ideologies.

And, I guess my problem with it is that ATS is supposed to be a forum for intelligent discussion. People can go to revleft or an anarchist forum or a Sean Hannity forum if they want to be partisans or ideologues. But... it seems to me eiter I'm miscommunicating with people... but like people seem to be misinterpreting what I'm saying.

Has anyone else seen my threads and seen this/had this problem? Why do people do this? I'd rather people be upfront and honest about their ideologies, rather, than hiding it. Either that, or, I'd rather just ATS be the forum for intelligent discussions that it's supposed to be. I don't think we need an ideological slant on ATS but I thikn at the very least if you're going to discuss things from an ideological view- at least, you should say what ideology you're defending, and what-not.

Has anyone else had this problem? It can't just be me.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
It's not just you.

I see great threads destroyed because people keep going on the same single sentence without even reading the entire OP and most of the time people do not read the reply posts at all.

Flaged

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I don't think your miscommunicating, I think people just like to throw their idealogies into any discussion they can. You will constantly find this on ATS. I hope you have a lot of patience, because it is in incessant.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I've noticed this a lot on ATS. In a lot of my topics I'll make a question, or, I'll make a criticism of an ideology.

Rather than talking about the core problem itself people seem to want to discuss the intricacies of ideologies.

And, I guess my problem with it is that ATS is supposed to be a forum for intelligent discussion. People can go to revleft or an anarchist forum or a Sean Hannity forum if they want to be partisans or ideologues.

Has anyone else had this problem? It can't just be me.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by Frankidealist35]

POLITICS IS PERSONALITY.

MOST PEOPLE ARE IDEOLOGUES.

You cannot have an intelligent discussion with most people regardless of their IQ. Everything that they think about is processed through the filter of their personality/ideology.
There are three personalities. The predator,the independent and the altruist. You should be able to figure out which political parties they belong to.
It just seems that people are born that way. And most would rather die than think. And studies have shown that discussing something with people tends to reinforce their original viewpoint, not change it.

So what you call politics is simply an expression of ones personality.
Thus there cannot be a consensus on most matters.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I have a liberal slant, so my responses to many of the threads here will show that. That is true of almost everyone. However, I would not accuse one of being anti Capitalist or anti anything just because they do not agree with me.

Many are passionate about their beliefs, and that is a good thing. So many people do not even get involved and then complain about everything.

The main thing is don't resort to name calling like a few do here.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Well,you must must remember there are many members on this forum that are from countries other than the U.S.

They have a different view of what reality is than some of us do.

There are some on here that are from the large population areas of the U.S. and they to have a different perspective of reality.

Just don't try to get in a urination production game with them.

The best advice I can give is, don't discuss politics,religion or sports with strangers, or relatives.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I totally agree with you. I came on ATS a few months ago to learn as much as I could about all this. Well, I found myself always having to defend myself b/c of what I believe in politically and religiously. BIG mistake. It wasn't a mistake because of what I believe in. It was a mistake for engaging in the one-upping that goes on around here.

It's real simple: politics DIVIDE people. And if people are divided, there's always some know-it-all(s) that always have to put other people down, degrade others or change the thread to what THEY want to talk about. ATS is getting to be a boxing ring.

If there was another website that actually put out as much info as ATS does, I wouldn't hesitate.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Nah, you have to nurture and develop a thread, weed out the derailers...call em out or ignore them....post discussion that furthers your OP.

And if that doesn't work-

Flame War!

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Some people don't know anything else, other than what Sean Hannity tells them..

Sad, but true. So, what you're asking for is that people simply become more educated; I suppose that's what the point of ATS is, but in reality it seems to be better at spreading ignorance than truth.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Ideology is a shortcut to thinking.

Let's look at two issues seen to be on the "left" for a moment...say, environmentalism and a pro-choice stance. What, logically, do these have to do with each other? Why, logically, couldn't one believe in one and reject the other?

Now, let's look at two issues seen to be on the "right" for a moment...say, gun ownership rights and a drive to reduce taxes. What, logically, do these have to do with each other? Why, logically, couldn't one believe in one and reject the other?

It's not that I "hide my ideology." Its that I don't have one per se. I try to think every issue out on its own.

During the Bush years I got called "leftist" when I opposed him. Now, if I say something against obama, peopel jump to the conclusion that I'm "rightist." In reality, thought is multidimensional. Ideology crushes this multidimensionality onto a tiny, boring, stifling little one-dimensional line. Its worse than annoying: it kills real thought and speculation.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   

The same can go for relious threads. They either keep their mouth completely shut and refuse to get involved with any religious discussion, or they spout any rubbish, whether it makes any logical sense or not, as justification for their beliefs.

posted on Apr, 23 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
The longer one is on ATS the more one is reminded of Monty Python.
The whole point of this site is for creative persons of varying abilitys to attempt to prove their conspiracy awareness is bigger than anyone elses.
Its all a conspiracy of comedy that is deadly serious at times.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Why do I hide my ideological slant on ATS?

Easy. It's because this site is prejudiced.

As soon as you let it know that you're a Jacobite, everyone pounces on you. Calling names, mocking your cause, trying to bait you by insulting the things you hold dear. They automatically assume that you are SNP.

It's the reason I don't post more often.

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I've tried to censor other people's awareness of my ideological perspective (center), because being different threaten's other people. It quickly degrades into a circular argument, the goal of which is to yell louder then the other guy. It's not just ideology. Some time's I get a lot of flack discussing issues of a biological, or sociological nature. I've also noticed some people are quite, offended, or perplexed by sarcasm. This is never directed at any one person or group. It represents the absurd incomprehension I have of some thing's.

join