It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self Defence for under $20

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Online, stun guns can be bought for under 15 dollars if you get a lower powered one or find a good sale. Pepper spray can be bought for 10 bucks or less. Streetwise telescopic batons can be found for under 20. They aren't as nice as the ASP brand, but when you flick those batons out they make people think twice.

Or you can get a NEBO CSI Tactical model flashlight. You can easily find them for under 20 bucks. They have 8 LED lights and a laser pointer, and they're made of metal. They're great for temporarily blinding an attacker, even in daylight. The ends have a strike bezel on them, which is essentially just a specially shaped ridge that makes it hurt more if you smash it into the side of an attacker's skull.

They don't have the lumen output of a 300 dollar Surefire, but I've looked into my NEBO before and it *hurts.* And mine isn't even the tactical model.

A few other advantages are that you can fit them in your pocket, and you can easily get away with taking them just about anywhere since it is just a flashlight. Heck, even the UK citizens could probably get away with carrying one of these around.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Gee, let's let our paranoid fantasies run wild shall we!

On topic, I've seen a Glock knife and entrenching tool in the $20-$30 range each. I usually go for something chinese in multiples for big blades and blade tools due to price and relative replacement cost. I've got to consider these as survival tools more than primary self defense devices due to physical limitations.

For self defense, I like to carry an expert surveillance and intelligence officer with me at all times in my bug-out-brain. Preparedness means little if caught unaware. Big bores rule.

gj

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I'm surprised no one brought up a whip.

Few years back I buddy of mine thought it be fun to buy his wife a bullwhip... just messing around with it she caught him just above his left eyebrow... 22 stitches later he learned not to think of a whip as a bedroom toy.

Leather Bullwhip 19.95
but they can cost upwards of $1,000
And I suggest you find someone to teach you, I tried one once and in the hour or so I played with it didn't quite figure it out

[edit on 9-4-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Trip Wire, in a self defense situation where I only have 20 bucks would mean I would probably have to retreat often. Trip Wire does the trick.

Kinda works like this.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Believe it or not a can of wasp spray is a great deterrent. It shoots a stream 20' and will temporarily blind anyone. Works better than Pepper spray I've been told.

well I can vouch for the wasp spray.
I used it once in a blowing wind
and it went right back in my eyes.

and it hurt like a MOFO and was blinded
for about 15 mins. How stupid of me
not to check the wind first, lmao
see be sure to check the wind afore
using it, lmao.

dont tell anyone I did that ok
cuz it could be embarrassing

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Don't forget about Mexican barbed wire!
You know --- broken beer bottles glued to the top of a wall or fence.
OUCH!

[edit on 9-4-2010 by Afterthought]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Let's see.. I think you can rent 10+ Chuck Norris movies at Blockbuster for about $20.00
Watch and learn...watch and learn.

If you haven't got a membership at your local video store I think your next best option is a home-made blow gun.

A nice straight 6' piece of 1/2" copper water line, paper, tape , and a handful of nails would be enough to make anyone wish they hadn't gotten within 100' of you.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I got it!
Potato launchers

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
I got it!
Potato launchers

Hey those things can kill, that is a great call. They ain't stealthy but in a close range situation I can think of a lot worse things to have. Star for you.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by ventian]

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

Thanks! I also appreciate the video you posted.
Rock on!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join