It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self Defence for under $20

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I have a good many, very expensive toys in my collection
but just today I was reminded there are plenty of good Self Defence options that don't cost hundreds of dollars...

So I thought we could use this thread to share Idea's
The only rule is it has to cost less than $20 Bucks...

Now here's my choice
Coming in at $19.99 I pick the Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel

So what do you suggest for this under $20 thread????

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Oh #!

Now only if we could get fold up ones like on TF2!!

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I had this, the wooden handle had a knot in it, which broke in half in the first few swings when I was testing it chopping wood.

Unless you plan to find another material to replace the handle, don't get it.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I got an aluminum baseball bat from a garage sale some years back for 5.00. It is my favorite. Had it out today as there were some unusual noises outside.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Though, I do have this.

And it's awesome and extremely cheap:
Cold Steel Bushmaster

OR if your serious about self defense or a good weapon, get one of these:
Cold Steel Sword Canes

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a cue ball and a long sock seems to work a treat

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I want 1 of each of the Cold Steel products in my Christmas stocking! Any takers? Santa??

Truly a shame that the cane sword is not 19.99... pity.

[edit on 4/9/2010 by hhcore]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
My Choice:

Because the law states "all weapons made of metal..." Acrylic and glass knuckles are legal. Both are shatter resistant and have been tested... Not to mention cheap! I buy acrylic knuckles for around 3 bucks a pop and resale for 10.

-Cheap
-Legal
-Effective

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Finding the right spikes takes a little time and patience but it is worth it. Modern looking fasteners just wouldn't cut it.
It is all about the visual threat with this thing. Blood stains can be added as needed.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
What can I add, you just mentioned my most praised military item other than the combat knife... the entrenching tool! In Russia we always knew its value and since WWI its been popular all over Europe... btw its NOT special forces, in WWII it was standard issue in Norway (far as an unsupported army can be issued) and Russia. In WWI soldiers were told it works better than a bayonet.

Wouldnt recommend it for axe except in emergency, get a real axe in addition. The point is the heavy weight at one end focuses all power on to a small point, thats where the power of the axe comes from.

The Chinese also taught us they could be used for an emergency stove

(I didnt take these pictures, by the way)

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
a cue ball and a long sock seems to work a treat

rofl

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
My weapon of choice is

Now I just have to figure out where to get one...

Seriously though, I just use my head and try to stay out of situations and places where trouble could happen.

However, trouble can find you anywhere, so I still just use my head and try to avoid those situations.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Put a 19.99 helmet on that thing and you are good to go!!
Spikes optional.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
My weapon of choice is

Now I just have to figure out where to get one...

Seriously though, I just use my head and try to stay out of situations and places where trouble could happen.

However, trouble can find you anywhere, so I still just use my head and try to avoid those situations.

I hope your brain is clever enough to magic a baseball bat or a gun when a serial killer bursts through your door. Theres only so much you can do with your BODY and MIND before someone pops a cap in your face.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I prefer a simple Bo Staff for anything more than a fistfight and less than a gun fight.

GM

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I know a couple of guys that keep on of these on a key chain for about 10 bones.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

LOL, we were all trying to avoid being cheesy but you had to go there...

Besides, the threads about "under $20". Brains are a lot more! Been to the black market lately?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Believe it or not a can of wasp spray is a great deterrent. It shoots a stream 20' and will temporarily blind anyone. Works better than Pepper spray I've been told.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

That, along with the plexiglas knuckles are very, very good ideas. I wonder why they didn't show the after effects of the board break? Was his fingers relieved of the soft protective coating? Neat though.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Believe it or not a can of wasp spray is a great deterrent. It shoots a stream 20' and will temporarily blind anyone. Works better than Pepper spray I've been told.

I have heard the same thing about the wasp spray. I just can't recall where I saw a video tutorial on the subject. It was suggested that it be kept in a night stand or behind a counter for those who don't want to keep a gun. For most common thugs that stuff would work very well and at a safe distance too.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join