It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt. Etna Eruption ~ Local Coverage (latest event: Feb. 19 0500 local time! )

page: 58
<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Had to pop out for a mo...but seems I have got back just in time for the show!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Put plenty of images up there for you. Explosions have stopped but good lava show on Cam 1

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Looks like she has peeked all stats on the way down again. Still plenty of lava flowing and not cooling yet.
Hopefully Silo won't have too much mess to clean up.
The actual explosive stage was relatively short again but the buildup was long, from 3pm GMT.

edit on 28-9-2011 by Tzavros because: Added image

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Blooming AOL....keeps crashing on me, and takes for ever to 'refresh'!

Has she gone quiet again? Do you know if Silo is OK? Apparently a lot of ash initially, with some fountaining lava.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tzavros
Looks like she has peeked all stats on the way down again. Still plenty of lava flowing and not cooling yet.
Hopefully Silo won't have too much mess to clean up.
The actual explosive stage was relatively short again but the buildup was long, from 3pm GMT.

edit on 28-9-2011 by Tzavros because: Added image

CONGATS. once again u showed,
by CORRECT 100% prediction that Etna, was going too boom,,
and you were, a half hour ahead, of prediction,aprox,,
, very nice,,
Imagine if u could do this full time.

wish u could.
two/two

just as good as any Proffesional,,
edit on 28-9-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Thank you very much

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I must have missed something what with all the thunderstorms yesterday - but this morning? The evidence - piles of fine fine ash - tells the tale. Not sure when she did it, but, she surely did!

Until Next Time...

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I will be putting the full report here soon. Very short exposive time of less than hour an hour but the strongest yet.
Hope you are ok.
TZ

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Good morning

Here is the report from yesterday.

Last night the New Southeast Crater of Etna produced its 15th paroxysmal eruptive episode since the beginning of this year. My theory of certain earthquakes being connected directly with eruptions at Etna and Stromboli seems to be running true. More research will be needed, old and new fault lines mapped Etc. Various activity occurred within my imaginary triangle two days before growing stronger on the 28th. The last one in was
Magnitude: 2.4

Time: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 14:50:53 GMT+01:00
GMT: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:50:53 GMT

Latitude: 37° 42' 35" N (37.7100°)
Longitude: 14° 55' 48" E (14.9300°)
Depth: 30.0 km
Every time I noticed a quake no matter how small I would then check the webicoders of Etna and Stromboli. This time I was convinced she would erupt several hours before she did. Even though the build-up to this eruption took hours the final, explosive, phase lasted less than a half hour but was more violent than those of the preceding paroxysms. lava emission though was rather minor this time. According to INGV the lava formed two small flows that reached the upper part of the steep western slope of the Valle del Bove. The ash plume was driven southwestward by the wind.
This morning there have been a whole string of quakes in my “zone” this I have noticed is quite common the next day after an eruption but there seem to more than usual this morning.
Next report will be from INGV when it is available.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

OK, what's this imaginary triangle of yours?....because it looks like it is turning into the 'magic' triangle!
Also, even though this one was a more 'violent' eruption (never liked that description for volcanoes, but hey ho) can you explain to us novices how can that be if volcanoes do not produce as much ash and lava as one would expect if there is an increase in the 'violence'?
Rainbows
Jane
PS....Looks like you 'slept' through this one Gracie!

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

This could be one of the most complicated questions ever and very very interesting. Remember, this is Etna we are talking about.Why she had such an explosion this time is hard to say. I took cam views every few minuets and you can clearly see the blast wave in many of them. To be sure of anything tests would have to be made by the volcanologists near by. They will be doing ground samples today. Most explosive episodes contain water vapor, carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide, hydrogen something and ash. This can be thrown up very high. Yesterday for that brief 30 minutes she had lava fountains that reached 600 m high. People reported thunder because there have been storms there this week. This was the sound She made, very load thunder. Other eruptions will contain magma etc as most paroxysms are the result of the partial obstruction of the volcanic channel when the magma column is low or dropping. An explosive sequence causes the sudden removal of the material which forms the obstruction. Very large sneeze. This usually triggers a sudden depressurization of the channel and the rapid rise of magma from depth because it is now free to move. Etna is one of the best for these brief, explosive paroxysms eruptions. Now, the question is, is there still magma down there? I believe the experts say she is still full to the brim. In that case, will she get to 20 paroxysms this year or go back to sleep. She will take another week at least to re-build if she is going to go again. I think she will because there is still a great deal of movement around her. I will try and find out what gases etc she threw out this time.
My triangle is theory only at the moment so I will come back to that later. I need to do drawings etc and try to make it at least slightly scientific even though Silo’s little Etna thread is very laid back. A nice place where we don’t have to use large scientific words.
You must also remember that I am not a volcanologists. I study Enta and over the many years I have known her I can see many of her moods. I caused many people to laugh the other day because I said Etna would go up that day. When asked how I knew I replied, because She has gone dark. Despite the laughs a few hour later she erupted. This is something to note, is this a gas buildup? Lava rising? Look closely next time, She will go a very tiny bit darker.
Bored you enough now

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Well INGV have just updated their report. Quite disappointed really because they give a brief ending
With this episode, the tendency of progressively longer repose intervals between paroxysms observed since the end of July has been broken; this event came little more than 9.5 days after its predecessor. Furthermore, it has to be remarked that:
(1) the "prelude" phase was rather brief;
(2) there was a short interval, only a few minutes long, of nearly zero activity before the most intense phase of activity;
(3) the height of the lava fountains in this event was well superior to the fountain heights during the previous paroxysms;
(4) the lava volume was comparatively small;
(5) the paroxysmal phase was rather brief (~30 minutes); (6) the fracture systems extending from the New SEC toward southeast and north reactivated.
I was hoping the answers to these points would really answer questions but there is no reason given, shame.
I did get the hight wrong.
Vigorous fountain, reached heights of 600-800 m.
Two powerful explosions occurred from a further vent on the eastern rim of the crater, which created visible shock waves displacing the clouds hovering around the crater, and launched large bombs to hundreds of meters of distance.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

what your seeing is indeedd Etna going dark,,
she is inhaling,
her shadows give the appearence of changing,, which she does,,
and the shadow from the inhale,, deeper,, darker,, more crustal drop?,, then exhaule,, boom.

just ash hopefully,,

good obsevation

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

"(3) the height of the lava fountains in this event was well superior to the fountain heights during the previous paroxysms; "

broke a new record for height i see,,
venturi effect?
are her walls, forming?

becoming more stable? //or are her walls colapsing,, choking her?

pity, we can not see.
down her throught.

edit on 29-9-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Well I have learnt something new again. I knew what I was seeing but could not think how it could be scientific. Thanks for that.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I was hopeing that INGV would give us the answer to that in their report. The stats I recorded this time were the highest of the 15, they went off the chart. All we can do is monitor to see what is happening. She was flaring slightly tonight from all vents.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

Thank you TZ, very interesting, informative, educational.....and no long scientific words! Have a star my friend!
Once again thank you for the 'heads up'.
Have you heard from Silo? Her posting here did not sound like her usual self. Hope she is not suffering from the disorientation that EQ's can make one feel?
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

These pics are wonderful..this is a live news cast......www.9news.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Hi All -
There's been a great deal of ash tonight - seems like most of it's going on over the south-west side but it's headed this way (or was earlier)...

Thanks so much for the updates about the other night - I am so bummed I couldn't see anything! Couldn't even hear anything!

Now it's time to go back and read some more fantastic facts from Tzavros!

peace
edit on 30-9-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Tzavros

So that was it! In between all the horrific thunder a couple of those 'booms' was Etna!

And this?

I caused many people to laugh the other day because I said Etna would go up that day. When asked how I knew I replied, because She has gone dark. Despite the laughs a few hour later she erupted. This is something to note, is this a gas buildup? Lava rising? Look closely next time, She will go a very tiny bit darker.

Just loved the whole post and especially this part.

Oh - and yes, I agree about her going 'dark'. I've often said as long as she's doing something I don't worry so much. It's when she does NOTHING, that I get worried! So we're in real agreement on that one!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with on your 'triangle' theory!

edit on 30-9-2011 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join