It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study explains near-death experiences

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

www.smh.com.au

People who have "near-death experiences," such as flashing lights, feelings of peace and joy and divine encounters before they pull back from the brink may simply have raised levels of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the blood, a study suggests.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I wonder about this.....

Think about it this way:

NDE's appear to provide evidence for the existance of life after death, God, the spirit world, etc...

Some suggest that to subjugate the people of the world, faith & religion should be taken away as a source of strength.

Could this be part of such an agenda?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

The Sydney Morning Herald

April 8, 2010 - 11:29AM

People who have "near-death experiences," such as flashing lights, feelings of peace and joy and divine encounters before they pull back from the brink may simply have raised levels of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the blood, a study suggests.

Near-death experiences (NDEs) are reported by between 11 and 23 per cent of survivors of heart attacks, according to previous research.

But what causes NDEs is strongly debated. Some pin the mechanisms on physical or psychological reasons, while others see a transcendental force.

Researchers in Slovenia, reporting on Thursday in a peer-reviewed journal, Critical Care, investigated 52 consecutive cases of heart attacks in three large hospitals.

The patients' average age was 53 years. Forty-two of them were men.

Eleven patients had NDEs, but there was no common link between these cases in terms of age, sex, level of education, religious belief, fear of death, time to recovery or the drugs that were administered to resuscitate them.

Instead, a common association was high levels of CO2 in the blood and, to a lesser degree, of potassium.

Further work is needed to confirm the findings among a larger sample of patients, say the authors, led by Zalika Klemenc-Ketis of the University of Maribor.

Having an NDE can be a life-changing experience, so understanding its causes is important for heart-attack survivors, they say.

AFP

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Same claims were launched an hour or so ago, under different title

As to the claims themselves, they've been trotting this out for years, as far as I'm aware. Why it's resurfaced again now ... who's to know ?

You could be right in suspecting an ulterior motive. But they're pushing the agenda hard and they'll feel the backlash. Look how swiftly Christianity rose from under the covers again as soon as the USSR folded

As to the carbon dioxide claims, I'll post here as I did in the twin-thread, which is to relate the story of the woman who'd been in hospital for some months ... apparently died ... was revived

When she was well enough to receive visitors, she told family members that during her NDE, she'd been greeted by deceased family members, including an aunt whom she identified

Family members were astonished, because the aunt in question had died unexpectedly shortly before and they'd kept this information from the invalid

Yet the near-death experiencer -- without knowing the aunt had died --- had nevertheless seen that aunt amongst the deceased family members with whom she'd spent time, during her NDE

Can't see how that supports the CO2 theory

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I though it was pretty much agreed on that the "NDEs" were caused by a flood of '___' into the blood?
I could be wrong but that was the impression I got reading '___': The Spirit Molecule.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Magnivea
I though it was pretty much agreed on that the "NDEs" were caused by a flood of '___' into the blood?
I could be wrong but that was the impression I got reading '___': The Spirit Molecule.

Magnivea.....

Seeing that you have raised that, I have posted a link to the Wiki page regarding '___'.

Dimethyltryptamine or N,N-Dimethyltryptamine ('___') is a naturally-occurring tryptamine and psychedelic drug, found not only in many plants, but also in trace amounts in the human body where its natural function is undetermined. Structurally, it is analogous to the neurotransmitter serotonin (5-HT) and other psychedelic tryptamines such as 5-MeO-'___', bufotenin (5-OH-'___'), and psilocin (4-HO-'___'). '___' is created in small amounts by the human body during normal metabolism[1] by the enzyme tryptamine-N-methyltransferase. Many cultures, indigenous and modern, ingest '___' as a psychedelic in extracted or synthesized forms.[2] '___' is a clear to white, crystalline solid. However, '___' found on the illicit market is commonly impure and may appear yellow, orange, or salmon in color unless special care has been taken to remove these impurities. Such impurities result from degradation or originate from plant matter from which the '___' may have been extracted. A laboratory synthesis of '___' was first reported in 1931, and it was later found in many plants.[3]

en.wikipedia.org...

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9
When she was well enough to receive visitors, she told family members that during her NDE, she'd been greeted by deceased family members, including an aunt whom she identified

Family members were astonished, because the aunt in question had died unexpectedly shortly before and they'd kept this information from the invalid

Yet the near-death experiencer -- without knowing the aunt had died --- had nevertheless seen that aunt amongst the deceased family members with whom she'd spent time, during her NDE

Can't see how that supports the CO2 theory

Dock9.....

Stories like that just keep me wondering.....

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Hey Bud

What it fails to address are the incidents where patients have been clinically dead (for up to an hour under controlled procedural conditions) and then can relay conversations between medical staff, and even describe unique instruments being used.

I suspect there is something more to it.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by mckyle]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mckyle
Hey Bud

What it fails to address are the incidents where patients have been clinically dead (for up to an hour under controlled procedural conditions) and then can relay conversations between medical staff, and even describe unique instruments being used.

Mckyle me ol' mate.....

Well, there are some interesting stories around.

I might look around for some reading about the type of incidents you have mentioned.

Feel free to point any my way that you see out there.

Here's to a slightly less dramatic evening on ATS

Cheers mate
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Hey Bud

I have a whole study of this bookmarked, the exact stuff you're talking about... the one I have (I'll look for it and post it if I can find it, I have so many bookmarks) is about a women who had NDE in the hospital while undergoing surgery and she came too from the NDE and explained there was a shoe, with the lace under it, old tennis style, and it was on a ledge outside the hospital... the doctor was very skeptical other OoBE's and decided to try and prove to her patient and herself that this was nonsense... well she was very enlightened when she found the shoe. It was exactly where the patient had described, with the lace laying under it. Now since I wasn't personally there I can't say it is true, but there are many accounts of things like this happening... how can you explain someone knowing something like this? The patient said she was able to just 'will' herself to be somewhere and she was able to be there (she was in her astral form obviously). She talked about being able to go through walls and the like.

Now, science can try, and anyone else, to deny that NDE's are real or not... some are probably just delusions, however since I've been out of body from meditation, on many occasions, I can attest that there is a spiritual realm, and that there is much more to the human consciousness than anyone will ever be able to explain. You have to learn this stuff on your own to understand it, otherwise you may laugh about it or find it to be unbelievable, I was skeptical myself until I had my first OoBE as well. I suggest before denying that it is possible, you all read up on meditation & astral projection and give it a go (binaural beats may aid you in getting your vibrational level up to where it is needed to go out of body by the way, and I've made threads about everything I've mentioned as well).

If anyone wants to know more, either research yourself, or check out the threads I've made - the spirituality thread I've made is in my profile, 2nd favorited thread.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

I have a whole study of this bookmarked, the exact stuff you're talking about... the one I have (I'll look for it and post it if I can find it, I have so many bookmarks) is about a women who had NDE in the hospital while undergoing surgery

Highlyoriginal.....

I'd be interested to read that.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Okay I just did a quick look through my bookmarks, here is one you may find interesting, I haven't even looked it over myself but it is in regards to out of body experiences: Astral Dynamics

I cannot seem to locate the bookmark I was talking about, and now I'm literally going through every damn one to find it because it was such a good website with so much information, it was an awesome site! I will be looking for it, if I find it I will make sure to get it to you and to this thread.

For now, the website above should give you some good reading, I took a bit more of a look of it since typing the above and it looks like it has some good info.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Highlyoriginal.....

Many thanks.....

I'm sure I will enjoy reading that.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I'm not spiritual... AT ALL, so I can only go on my personal experience of dying.

I was clinically dead for 6 minutes during an operation about 2-3 years ago. I didn't know a thing about it until I asked the surgeon why it took an hour longer than expected. No lights, no feelings, no dead relatives.

I went to sleep and then (as far as I was concearned) woke up in an instant with a bandage over my face, 2 black eyes and the ugliest nurse in the world standing over me.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
CO2 or not CO2. NDE has much more unexplained things like people on NDE know everything what the doctors did, what they talked about, and even saw them self from above their body.
The experiences cant be explained, end of story.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by StarBoyFG

Well, knowing what the doctors said is pretty easy to explain, as you are there in the room with them. There is every possibility that you could be hearing them talk and taking it in at a subconcious level. It often happens in dreams when noises and conversations around become absorbed into a dream.

I offer no other explanations for other phenomena, but do keep a skeptical, analytical, yet open mind about these things.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Sorry for the delay old mate

Here is a segment from a somewhat celebrated BBC documentary about NDE's

This is the case I was referring to in my above post.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by nik1halo

Thats still dosnt explain the visualisation. The guy knows exactly what they are using on him which from start to beginning or know if someone comes in or goes out. They knew exactly what happens and what they were wearing.

www. near-death. com
This website explains all the cases very well. Worth to take a look.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Hi highlyoriginal

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post.

The case you cited is a different one to the one I was thinking of - but I know of it as well, and it's an amazing case.

Not sure whether or not it's been featured in any documentary as yet. Mores the pity.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by StarBoyFG

Thanks mate, I'll check it out when I get a chance.

I was just pointing out that some of it can be rationally explained, without jumping to supernatural conclusions.

Like I said, I have an open mind about these things, but i like to consider the more down to Earth reasons first. Like for example, I don't know whether you've ever had an operation, but the surgeon will go into quite a bit of detail as to what they are going to do to you prior to the op (as long as you can bear to hear it that is). This goes some way into explaining a possible hallucination, whereby, along with what is being said in the surgery by the doctors, being taken in subconciuosly, a person could imagine what is being done to a fairly high level of accuracy. You often see yourself in the third person in dream states too, so that's not so unusual.

Just saying, but it's an interesting phenomenon to be sure.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Hey Bud

Can you show me one where a person was clinically brain dead for atleast 20 minutes that did relay a conversation or describe unique instruments? As far as I'm concerned, its the ones that aren't really dead that are relaying conversations and describing rooms, etc.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join