It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physics Prove Parallel Universes Exist!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   

To even try to understand it, you have to think really, really small. Smaller than an atom. Electrons
, which circle the nucleus of an atom, are swirling around in multiple states at the same time -- they're hard to pin down. It's only when we measure the position of an electron that we force it to have a specific location. Cleland's breakthrough lies in taking that hard-to-grasp yet true fact about the atomic particle and applying it to something visible with the naked eye.

What does it all mean? Let's say you're in Oklahoma visiting your aunt. But in another universe, where your atomic particles just can't keep up, you're actually at home watching "The Simpsons." That may sound far-fetched, but it's based on real science.

"When you observe something in one state, one theory is it split the universe into two parts," Cleland told FoxNews.com, trying to explain how there can be multiple universes and we can see only one of them.

The multi-verse theory says the entire universe "freezes" during observation, and we see only one reality. You see a soccer ball flying through the air, but maybe in a second universe the ball has dropped already. Or you were looking the other way. Or they don't even play soccer over there.

(link)

Ok so firstly I’m sorry to say but this is from Fox news which a lot here might not be a fan of to say the least. (Myself included)

That being true it is still pretty interesting story and more than worthy to have its own thread on ATS even if it did come from a corrupt news station (if you can call it a news station
)

But I’d certainly suggest reading the full article as it is pretty fascinating and such a good read and open your eyes to so many possibilities but personally this is what caught my attention the most and I’m sure it’ll be the same for some here as well….

"Unless you can imagine some super-advanced alien civilization that has figured this out, we aren't affected by the possible existence of other universes," Carroll said. But he does think "someone could devise a machine that lets one universe communicate with another."

Thoughts???

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
What I find more interesting than the story itself is the fact fox news decided to play it. Guess they'll do anything for ratings but it doesnt exactly support the mainstream media paradigms.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

As if "liberals" are more prone to believe science than "conservatives"... is that what you mean?

I think you'll find conservative media is more likely to report theory as such whereas liberal media will take a theory and turn / twist it and report it as factual.

[edit on 4/7/2010 by abecedarian]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
First thing that comes to my mind is: This is not news. It's been theorized for years.
I for one am glad that it 'became' news now, instead of syfy (which it still is for most people because they don't get to see the science facts.)
Better late then never!

[edit on 7/4/2010 by GypsK]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Woah no way man im out of that left right paradigm, dont wanna go there. Its interesting because it gets people thinking, pondering the universe. It helps people break out of their drone 9-5 state and become curious about the universe rather than what to buy next. It is a nice change from the usual fear propaganda, if it kick starts a journey of seeking in people they may quickly find themselves on sites like this one which opens up the doorway and expands the mind as it explores the possibilities

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
reply to post by abecedarian

Woah no way man im out of that left right paradigm, dont wanna go there. Its interesting because it gets people thinking, pondering the universe. It helps people break out of their drone 9-5 state and become curious about the universe rather than what to buy next. It is a nice change from the usual fear propaganda, if it kick starts a journey of seeking in people they may quickly find themselves on sites like this one which opens up the doorway and expands the mind as it explores the possibilities

Not sure why you replied to me, but it's nice to see a mind opened up.
The world needs many more open minds.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I think about this kind of stuff pretty much every day.
What is the meaning of all this "dust and shadows"?
Who is the observer? This conscience that holds everything together, is it just one of many, or is the only, everlasting field of unity?

And most of all, will i ever be able to manipulate matter with my mind, so i can impress chicks?

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
The OP is incorrect. This is not a proven "fact", it is just one interpretation of laboratory tests on quantum mechanics, conducted before WWII. There are many other interpretations based on theories that don't require additional spacial dimensions, or infinite parallel universes.

But it is pretty wild stuff. Those double-slit experiments are out of this world! (excuse the pun)

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This is the theory behind quantum machanics isnt it? I remember reading about an experiment of throwing particles through a few layers of card that have slits in them. And they found that the results were different when they themselves looked at the experiment taking place, to when no one was observing.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I think the double slit test proved that the electron does indeed seem to exist in different places at the same time. Also, observation caused the effect to change. I believe in multiple universes. One reason is because it allows for us to be able to decide and change. Whenever we make a decision, we step into that alternate universe. We don't leave this universe where we all interact, but we have changed both the structure and substance of our existence.

Lets say I have to make a decision to buy a lottery ticket. The odds are against me of course. I could win a billion dollars or lose, I don't know. I want to play the number 123456. Now I decide.

I decide to play the number. Yippidy do dah !. I win ! I'll never have to work again ! My life is now changed from what is was.

But no, instead I don't play the number, Eeeks ! it came up and I walk away with nothing, devastated. My life has changed, but in a different direction.

With every decision to make, two futures (parallel) universes present themselves. Both exist at the same time up to the actual decision. However, once the decision is made, one universe ends and the other continues only to be paralleled by another universe that always stays with the one you're in.

We all exist simultaneously in these universes and yet still we exist in this one. Millions of people decide millions of things and change their path and yet it all plays out in this universe we share. This universe connects all the others together. You could call this universe we share, the interactive universe.

The next time you have to make an important decision, consider the two, or perhaps three possibilities of the result of that decision. You will see that possible futures exist. When you decide, consider that the other possible choices you had are now gone, except for the one path you chose.

Anyway, that's my take on parallel universes. They exist. The electron shows this to be true.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Son of Will
The OP is incorrect. This is not a proven "fact", it is just one interpretation of laboratory tests on quantum mechanics, conducted before WWII. There are many other interpretations based on theories that don't require additional spacial dimensions, or infinite parallel universes.

Well said.

This is interesting stuff, however the attention grabbing headline isn't supported by the content of the story.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trolloks
This is the theory behind quantum machanics isnt it? I remember reading about an experiment of throwing particles through a few layers of card that have slits in them. And they found that the results were different when they themselves looked at the experiment taking place, to when no one was observing.

I know what you are talking about. I watch the Science channel also. Perhaps it's because I'm autistic, but I still don't understand. How do they know that the results are different when they are observing that when they don't observe? Isn't the fact that they are setting up some kind of process where they can measure what happened while they were outside getting their nicotine hit observation by proxy? Retroactive observation? And how do the particles know they are being observed? What is it about the presence of a human being that makes them behave differently?

[edit on 7/4/2010 by christianpatrick]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by christianpatrick

And how do the particles know they are being observed? What is it about the presence of a human being that makes them behave differently?

[edit on 7/4/2010 by christianpatrick]

maybe it's a little thing called "counsciousness", the essence of what "we" are... the thing that is not made out of particles (and please don't ask me to explain that
)

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Hi!

Couldn't resist but if not particles...? :-)

Thought everything was made out of something....even if it is energy.

Peace!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Wave
reply to post by GypsK

Hi!

Peace!

Yeah, particles became strings, then membranes, hence String theory and M theory (bascially M theory is the marriage of string theory to Supergravity, with matter existing in 11 dimensions instead of 10)

No, I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, I watched the show on the science channel.

Didn't see the end, but somehow M theory supports Multiple Universes.

All starting from the attempted mapping of electrons, which was realized impossible a long time ago. Not sure why Fox is calling this news, either.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Cole DeSteele]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

reply to post by GypsK

Hi!

Peace!

oke.. here goes with me limited understanding of quantum physics

everything is energy, but energy, as far as we know, is either a particle (matter) or a wave (waves of information). Maybe our counsciousness are waves?

That's what happens in the double slit experiment, when someone is observing it are particles that go through the slits, creating two perfect lines on the board behind it. But when noone is observing, they fall back into waves, creating the "wavery pattern".

The weirdness of it all is that those waves of energy, that can become particles (and vica versa), seem to have some kind of 'knowledge or awareness' aswell. If the theory is correct they can switch on and off, or in and out of existence.

Personally I don't believe in mutiple realities, but merely in one holographic like reality. So reality as we know it, really is an illusion. but that is IMO.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Here's part one of the show I was talking about. Wow..2001?

Sorry if embedding not working, here's link:

Parallel Universes

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Hi!

Well done! I'm currently posting on the following thread and have tried to explain in my first post there something similar....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is great though how quantum physics has suddenly become something of interest.

Peace!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

reply to post by GypsK

It is great though how quantum physics has suddenly become something of interest.

I wish it was for more people, the people around me think I'm nuts!

I don't understand why they don't understand what I'm talking about... even with the most simple words and kiddy drawings, they act like I speak chinese

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Hi!

And again would recommend 'End of Time.' To expand, Julian Barbour believes that we play the different configurations mentally to make them a 'movie' - every possibility is there (now) in a relativistic configurational space.

One thing (your suggesting that energy has 'knowledge') is that in his view probabilities must have consistent histories.. time capsules - which is why a whale suddenly doesn't appear in your living room...

Peace!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join