It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I Love War

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
War, is there anything more satisfying? Is there anything more fulfilling? Is there anything more pure?

Now before one of you decide to “cleverly” copy and paste the definition of the word War from dictionary.com or something……just realize I am referring to War in broader terms.

Throughout our lives no matter who we are, we see conflict. In the supermarket, the Bank or in your very home….it is there, well the potential is there. That’s what I like about war, it’s like a best friend….it will never leave your side.

Name an empire built by peace……or a religion. Tell me of a place where there is pure equality….without conflict. Better yet, tell me of an invention that did not have just a little motivation from……….competition.

War is a constant! Peace, love, sadness…just optional.

So why deny who we are? I mean let’s get real….your no “light-being” “chosen one” or “hybrid alien schizoid whatever”…………..but you ARE a beast, a warrior…… a human.
It is we that conquered the icy winds of ice ages, fires of drought and oceans of time to rise as the dominant species.

Are aliens visiting us…..maybe……..but probably not. Will a polar shift occur in 2012….maybe….but probably not.

Will there be war today…..yes. Will there be war tomorrow…yes.

Think of it this way, people you know may think you are ugly…..fat…..too skinny….stupid….or mental. You can ignore all of these people, pray to your spirit guide while holding a crystal named after the star or moon ……whatever.

But somewhere out there…….there is somebody or something that can consciously or by nature kill you…..lightning, terrorists, sharks, police, governments, criminals, etc.

So why waste time running from war, embrace it…you know you wanna.

That is the point of this thread, tell me why you feel peace is supreme! Because, I truly don’t get it.

Allow me to edit to add something: I am a disabled Iraqi war vet, I DO know about War. You comments about my lack of experience leading to my opinion are ignorant and hypocritical. And still........so many insults...so few responses.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by hyperion.martin]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Without peace, there could be no conflict. Maybe it is just a matter of balance.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LORD ARES

I think you got it backwards friend, without conflict there could be no peace........non-sentient animals were having battles long before we created the idea of peace.

Now that I think about it, there really is no peace....just calmness....before the storm so to speak

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
War is insanity. The only good war is to overcome oppression and find peace. War divides the soul, cuts short futures, and embraces the spirit of destruction. It indiscriminately harms innocents, takes what it has not earned, and eliminates gentle borders. It is oppression and control over others, and the over-run of foolishness over wisdom. Video games are good, because they let us take that frustration, machismo, demonic spirit, and give it a harmless outlet. But don't tell me real war is good. War is hell, that pretty much sums up the real vets stances. I'd rather study a trade, or drink a beer with friends. When bombs are dropping, soldiers with superior weapons are running through your streets, or assassins are lurking in your corridors - then you would wish the adrenalin rush had an end. War is a valid sacrifice for satanists, because it takes lives of the innocent. A little foolishness destroys much wisdom.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by hyperion.martin

Okay, just because you predicted it.

War

war /wɔr/ [wawr] noun, verb, warred, war·ring, adjective, noun

1. a conflict carried on by force of arms, as between nations or between parties within a nation; warfare, as by land, sea, or air.
2. a state or period of armed hostility or active military operations: The two nations were at war with each other.
3. a contest carried on by force of arms, as in a series of battles or campaigns: the War of 1812.
4. active hostility or contention; conflict; contest: a war of words.
5. aggressive business conflict, as through severe price cutting in the same industry or any other means of undermining competitors: a fare war among airlines; a trade war between nations.
6. a struggle: a war for men's minds; a war against poverty.
7. armed fighting, as a science, profession, activity, or art; methods or principles of waging armed conflict: War is the soldier's business.
8. Cards. a. a game for two or more persons, played with a 52-card pack evenly divided between the players, in which each player turns up one card at a time with the higher card taking the lower, and in which, when both turned up cards match, each player lays one card face down and turns up another, the player with the higher card of the second turn taking all the cards laid down. b. an occasion in this game when both turned up cards match.
9. Archaic. a battle.

I think what you really love is:

Violence

vi·o·lence/ˈvaɪələns/ [vahy-uh-luhns] noun
1. swift and intense force: the violence of a storm.
2. rough or injurious physical force, action, or treatment: to die by violence.
3. an unjust or unwarranted exertion of force or power, as against rights or laws: to take over a government by violence.
4. a violent act or proceeding.
5. rough or immoderate vehemence, as of feeling or language: the violence of his hatred.
6. damage through distortion or unwarranted alteration: to do editorial violence to a text.

[edit on 4/4/2010 by UberL33t]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by hyperion.martin

... non-sentient animals were having battles long before we created the idea of peace.

Mmm, no.

Animals kill each other mostly to eat.

We kill each other to protect/instill concepts.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

Interesting, and thanks! I never really considered video games as a release for our more primal tendencies but your logic seems valid.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

... non-sentient animals were having battles long before we created the idea of peace.

Mmm, no.

Animals kill each other mostly to eat.

We kill each other to protect/instill concepts.

"mmm, no." So nice to see than the ATS Elite still take time out of their busy day to patronize me.

Your logic is faulty and has been proven so since the 40s. Explain why a Lion plays with pray...but does not always kill it...or eat it.

Dolphins, birds, apes and many others will gather in groups and fight other groups..over mates, territory and for reasons we still do not understand.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by hyperion.martin]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

The Meerkat Manor extrapolation eh?

Anthropomorphizing of epic proportions.

Yes, animals are complex creatures, yet they do not have "wars" ... for that is a human concept and is as stated above, an anthropomorphized approximation.

ETA: Not sure why you felt patronized, it wasn't my intention.

[edit on 4 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I would not say that comparing one group of mammals fighting as a team to achieve a common goal of securing territory to another group of mammals doing the same thing....anthropomorphizing anything.

I am not talking about a cave painting or finding Nemo........ I am talking about a natural and biological tendency that consistently repeats itself throughout time and species.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

No thanks I've already embraced war and I "choose" peace now. I've spent seven of my sixty years in combat zones mainly Vietnam and Africa (Rhodesia and S.A respectively) you're obviously not a vet, unless a persons crazy or immature I don't think they would say something like embrace war. I guess you could be crazy.... most likely your immature.
At any rate I had to comment. I hope you find what you want. Good Luck!

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I am sorry , just so I have this straight I must seek some clarification ...

You love fighting in wars , or watching them on CNN ?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I wonder if the OP has ever been near or in any war, or if he has just seen a few videos and think it's cool.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ablue07

Actually friend I AM a vet.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I would not say that comparing one group of mammals fighting as a team to achieve a common goal of securing territory to another group of mammals doing the same thing....anthropomorphizing anything.

At the risk of being accused of being patronizing again, that is actually the precise definition.

Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human characteristics to, or, some would argue[1][2], recognition of human characteristics in non-human creatures and beings, phenomena, material states and objects or abstract concepts. en.wikipedia.org...

To do so as a premise to embrace war is fatally flawed reasoning in my humble opinion.

Truth is it's not even required to make the point you wish to make, for there is no doubt that we humans are predisposed to conflict anyway. Not because we are like animals but simply because of who we are.

Yet we are hopefully beings who learn and evolve ... rejecting "war" is surely within our potentiality. Though it's going to be a close call between which comes first; the day we evolve beyond wars or the day we annihilate each other.

Still, I for one will not embrace war.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

So you are a vet who saw active combat and you love war ?

Funny , most veterans that I know who saw active combat do not love war at all .

To love war for nothing more then the act of war is madness .

To to know what you love is your right and I say , you just go on loving war and here is a little gift from me to you ..

Warning movie contains some bad language

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ablue07

Most older vets that I know, dont talk about the good things that happened
in thier lives. They talk about thier service during war time, they meet every year and get together with other vets to talk about the war.

Events that happened over fifty years ago are what shaped thier lives.
Violent events.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Chimpanzees have wars.

Ants and termites have wars..

That's all I can think of, besides humans..

Also, I want to add, the only people who like wars are those who have never been in one.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Ok, I will stop and not bother arguing the definition of your definition lol

however, what is your opinion? Why is "rejecting" War better than peace?

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

/edit to make more intelligible

Wars are between nations, run by leaders. They are not between the men, who fight in the wars.

The men who fight have no problem with each other. In fact, when they go out onto the battle field, they are attacking complete strangers; one wonders how anybody could judge a complete stranger as being his enemy or not.

To that end, the reason those two strangers are convinced that they must try to kill eachother is because their leader tells them to, and if the leader on the other "team" is just as good at controlling his men, then both "teams" reach a mutual and forced equilibrium of conflict. At that point, war happens.

You have to have peace within your own ranks to even establish an army. So you can not have war without first being able to establish peace. And peace seems like a much more natural state of affairs. It's certainly more beneficial to all players involved, except for maybe the leaders.. but most people are no better than slaves. They are easily controlled and easily exploited. To that end, a good leader can take advantage of enough men to establish himself as a tyrant, and in so doing he can march millions of human beings into conflict and to their own destruction. This is war.

[edit on 4-4-2010 by Kaytagg]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join