It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A lesson on Britian for AMERICANS

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 6EQUJ5

Indeed...

It skipped from the 14th straight to the 17th century without a blink! Those were the best bits too! (and oddly enough, the part of history were France + Scotland kept beating on the English)

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDutch

Off topic but I have too (avatar)

HEY! THOMPSON!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
You guys are killin' me!!

I keep puttin' my 2 cents in (4 ha'pennies) in....like the little brother...jumpin' up and down...wavin' my little Canadian arms.....look at me...I've got somethin' to say!!

All you prix keep ignoring me!!

Yer givin' me a complex!!

Jason

PS F*** you!!

C'mon guys...I'm jus kiddin.....Come back!!

[edit on 3-4-2010 by hthjason]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

Pish-The oil money coming through Aberdeen alone equals a third of Englands GNP.You keep dreaming that the English keep the Scots-bollocks!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

And we would care, why? Look, I can trace my ancestory to the Stewerts, the Jameses and the Tudors, beyond that and the odd blood disease it has no real bearing on my life. Yep, I have the blood of kings and queens flowing through my veins, and what of it? I have no alliegence to it other than a rather small bubble of pride occaisionly and only when I'm feeling particularly arrogant. Much as I would like to visit, primarily Scottland. I'm sure I wouldn't feel any real connection, even standing on the tombs of my forebears................but then again, who knows.
Beyond that I have no real curiousity about your history, your country, your culture. The United Kingdom is like a musty old dream to me, a has been place, ephemeral, lacking any solidity. It's like you've faded and gone into the west,along with the elvish. No mystery there, now is there. Best to leave that part of me historical, of myth and meloncholy.
Too easy, too blatent, too contrived, I DO feel the hand of mystery tugging at my coat. The essence of my spirit walks the moor, the mist owns breath and like a shivered exhalation washes the connection to place to familial ties.

Thank you, we are not so disperate, you and I. If you have roots drinking deep, of lineage and blood, then you have much more than I could ever claim. Your history stayed, mine fled, there across the pond, across the face of time itself, untill I think and speak in differences. Is there envy there? No not envy, only blood coursing from root to branch. In geneology, I wear the face of aristocracy and regain the conductivity of connection.

YouSir

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouSir
reply to post by Haydn_17

And we would care, why? Look, I can trace my ancestory to the Stewerts, the Jameses and the Tudors, beyond that and the odd blood disease it has no real bearing on my life. Yep, I have the blood of kings and queens flowing through my veins, and what of it? I have no alliegence to it other than a rather small bubble of pride occaisionly and only when I'm feeling particularly arrogant. Much as I would like to visit, primarily Scottland. I'm sure I wouldn't feel any real connection, even standing on the tombs of my forebears................but then again, who knows.
Beyond that I have no real curiousity about your history, your country, your culture. The United Kingdom is like a musty old dream to me, a has been place, ephemeral, lacking any solidity. It's like you've faded and gone into the west,along with the elvish. No mystery there, now is there. Best to leave that part of me historical, of myth and meloncholy.
Too easy, too blatent, too contrived, I DO feel the hand of mystery tugging at my coat. The essence of my spirit walks the moor, the mist owns breath and like a shivered exhalation washes the connection to place to familial ties.

Thank you, we are not so disperate, you and I. If you have roots drinking deep, of lineage and blood, then you have much more than I could ever claim. Your history stayed, mine fled, there across the pond, across the face of time itself, untill I think and speak in differences. Is there envy there? No not envy, only blood coursing from root to branch. In geneology, I wear the face of aristocracy and regain the conductivity of connection.

YouSir

Wow!

Nice prose.

Is that original or did I miss something from Maugham? I can't read them all!

Seriously, though...brings a touch of class to the thread.

Jason

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

Really? You want us to believe that there is in excess of £300 Billion worth of Oil going through Aberdeen a year, because that is one third of the GPD of England!

Especially when the GDP of Scotland is in the region of only £86 Billion!

Alec the Salmon has really pulled the wool over your eyes!

EDCIT: A prime example of nationalist lies being propogated as truth!

[edit on 3/4/10 by stumason]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Invader675
You missed the bit where England made America, the founding fathers were British. So technically America is really really really old religious cast away English

That would be British not English.

Another thing for Americans to note is when ever a great British achievement or acknowledgement is to be made the English usually refer to it as being English. Whenever Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland do the same they refer to it as being British.

Not that being British means much anymore as our politicians gave most of our countries power over to Europe without asking or informing the public. We now have an unelected President governing us in what can only be described as the Soviet States of Europe. O.K. maybe that is a bit harsh but we're heading in that direction.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Namaste1001]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Im fed up with quite a few americans not knowing anything about us, i know Texas is a state, why dont you realise Wales, scotland and northern island is part of Britian?

I'm fed up with Brits who don't know American history, but I'm not going to sit here and type out my version of it. Why don't YOU blow the Horn of Gondor?

And what's this Texas # you're talking about? Isn't that part of Mexico now?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Namaste1001

I foten see is at the other way around. Whenever anyone from Wales, NI or Scotland does well, it's always "Scottish/Welsh/Irish".. But whenever they do bad, it's British. Conversely, when an Englishmen does well, he is British but when he does badly, he is English....

Apparently, being English is soemething to be ashamed of. We're onyl aloud to get ourflags out during the football, dare to do it at any other time and your a "racist" or a thug.

But, you can fly the Welsh Dragon or Cross of St Andrew wherever you please and you're just "being proud of your culture"....

Go figure..

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Just wanted to pop in to say that I'm actually really enjoying this thread! and I have no idea why!!!!

I'm Scottish, and as a citizen of the UK, I'm British too!

If I could just add my tuppence (2 cents!!) worth...

I'd say that, there are very many different viewpoints, from within the UK, and each one is (probably) equally valid.
There is a lot of disagreement, and yes, I suppose argument, but when push comes to shove, we are British, and we stand together.

We should be proud of our heritage, our culture and history.

I actually think that our unique "union" with all of it's built-in rivalries, is one of the reasons that we've punched above our weight in this world for so long. It's almost like we're competing with each other, within the union, and that keeps (kept?) us strong?

I'll put the Scot-bashing tone of some earlier posts down to "friendly rivalry" for now. I know I've done my fair share of "English bashing" in the past!! AHEM!!

Oh, and a quick note (in summary) to our American friends...

We know that it sounds complicated, but our history is what it is!
The (main) Island of Great Britain, is comprised of the seperate Nation states of Scotland, England and Wales.
The UK is the "United Kingdom" of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (The northernmost part of the nearby Island of Ireland).
The English are Brits.
The Welsh are Brits.
The Northern Irish are Brits (politically)
and the Scots are Brits (reluctantly!!).

I hope that this helps a wee bit?

and... to those about to flame me... I'm sorry, for whatever it was I've done to upset you!!

G

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I've skipped to the end of this thread but I will go back and read the rest and do apologies if this has been brought up already. Recently in the press in Northern Ireland we have been getting stories about the EDL's "spokesman" being a former Loyalist paramilitary, from here, who had to flee Northern Ireland after having his throat cut by other Loyalists during an internecine feud. Don't know if this adds anythng to the thread but it's still an interesting topic.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
You have a really negative opinion of Americans lol. Maybe you just met some really stupid ones but I'm pretty sure >90% of Americans know all that you just listed, minus the exact years everything happened in.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Is Britain that little island off France?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Gordi The Drummer

Don't take my "Scots bashing" as a sign of aggression, I have nothing against you chaps provided that we don't continue the merry dance of Alec Salmond's lies!

I've actually got Scottish family who live in Aberdeen who are, shall we say, under the influence of the SNP and it's propoganda, so as you can imagine Christmas's and family get togethers can be quite heated!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Aww... English soccer err... I mean football is the best. I am a huge Premier League fan, that league is probably the best thing about your culture.

Chelsea and Man. United are my teams, and no I am not just saying that because they played today. I woke up at 6:30am to watch it live. Too bad Rooney just got hurt at the end of the Champions League game. I have FSC so I get a couple of the good games every week.

When are they going to let a four MLS teams in the CL? Not that they could win, but it would be cool being able to see the best teams play in the U.S. when they are actually trying and it is not pre-season. I mean we give you a regular season NFL game it is only fair.

USA > England in the first game of the World Cup if Rooney isn't fully healed.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by Namaste1001

I foten see is at the other way around. Whenever anyone from Wales, NI or Scotland does well, it's always "Scottish/Welsh/Irish".. But whenever they do bad, it's British. Conversely, when an Englishmen does well, he is British but when he does badly, he is English....

Apparently, being English is soemething to be ashamed of. We're onyl aloud to get ourflags out during the football, dare to do it at any other time and your a "racist" or a thug.

But, you can fly the Welsh Dragon or Cross of St Andrew wherever you please and you're just "being proud of your culture"....

Go figure..

ROFL!!!!

Stu, that's quite possibly the funniest post I've ever seen!!!

Don't you get the BBC (English Broadcasting Corporation) Down there?

Why on earth do you think that you personally encounter so much "England bashing"?
It's because the citizens of the other nation states in this little island of ours are sick to the back teeth of the English dominated media, persistently presenting English achievements as English, but Scots, Welsh, and NI ones as British. It happens ALL the Time!!!
It happened last week when SCOT Andy Murray got beaten in the tennis, just a few weeks before - he was BRIT Andy Murray, because he was winning!!
Where on earth do you encounter the -he's British when he's good and only English when he's bad- thing?
Surely you accept that the British Media is largely based in England, and is therefore bound to be more England-oriented?

And Who said you can't get your flags out?? Certainly NOT the Scots, Irish or Welsh, and I think that it's disgraceful that you should imply that it is down to them.

You are, rightly proud to be English, but you might want to ease up a little on the attitude that you're displaying towards your celtic neighbours? (It upsets them!)

FREEEDOM!!! JUST KIDDING!!!!

G

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Don't take my "Scots bashing" as a sign of aggression, I have nothing against you chaps provided that we don't continue the merry dance of Alec Salmond's lies!

I've actually got Scottish family who live in Aberdeen who are, shall we say, under the influence of the SNP and it's propoganda, so as you can imagine Christmas's and family get togethers can be quite heated!

Not at all chap!
I know you have Scots rellies!! (You've mentioned them before!)
and Yeah!! I can just imagine The Family Get Togethers!! BRILLIANT!!!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Well, the whole "England" flag thing is a product of the PC Brigade, we get that in all the nations I suppose!

But, you say the BBC is Anglo-centric, not at all. It is London-centric! They are a different kettle of fish to us English out in the rest of the country.

Take the snow, for example. Snow up North or out West, not a peep on the news. As soon as the London buses stop runing, then they report it like it is the Day After Tommorrow!

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tooo many pills

Now, that ain't a bad idea. I know it's the UEFA Champions League, so technically a different federation, but it would make sense (commercially as well as for competition and the game) to have a Champions League that involved the WORLDS best teams, such as Man UTD versus River Plate, or LA galaxy versus Chelsea.

That would be a good league to watch! If the Yanks could see their teams competing against the rest fo the world, it might become more popular there.

Incidentally, England have their first World Cup game against the USA. Should be a good one. Word to the wise, don't knock us out the tournament.

We'd hate you to take the place of Germany as the Nations "old enemy"!

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join