It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A lesson on Britian for AMERICANS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Im fed up with quite a few americans not knowing anything about us, i know Texas is a state, why dont you realise Wales, scotland and northern island is part of Britian?

Lesson

Ok this is your lesson on the British Isles, for quite a few americans who on ats who doesnt know what or where britain is.

Britian.

The Romans invaded Britian in 43AD, Great Britain had already frequently been the target of invasions, planned and actual, by forces of the Roman Republic and Roman Empire..

British resistance was led by Togodumnus and Caratacus, sons of the late king of the Catuvellauni, Cunobelinus. A substantial British force met the Romans at a river crossing thought to be near Rochester on the River Medway. The battle raged for two days. Hosidius Geta was almost captured, but recovered and turned the battle so decisively that he was awarded the ornamenta triumphalia.

The British were pushed back to the Thames. The Romans pursued them across the river causing them to lose men in the marshes of Essex.

And so the time of Roman Britain began..
Their rule officially began in AD 43 and ended in 410

---------------------------

449AD Saxons arrive in England
The newcomers spoke their own languages, which in time became a language now known as Anglo-Saxon or Old English. The Anglo-Saxons themselves called it 'Englisc'. The country taken over by the new settlers became 'England'.

516AD The Britons under a unknowen leader defeat the Saxons at Mount Badon

597AD Christianity spreads across England

1066AD William of Normandy is crowned King of England

1100AD Henry I Is crowned King of England

1114AD Henry I Invades Wales forcing Gwynedd to submit

Speeding things up now

1305AD William Wallace is executed by the English

1607AD Named for King James I of England, Jamestown was founded in the Virginia Colony on May 14, 1607

2003AD Britian joins the US on an Invasion of Iraq

2004AD 10 New states join the European Union

So thats a brief history.

Britian is: Wales, Scotland, Northern Island

Britian has around 14 overseas territories remaining from the Empire.
For example.

British Virgin Islands

www.youtube.com...

Remember this thread before you ask if Scotland is part of the UK

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Haydn_17]

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
"I know why the sun never sets on the British Empire: God wouldn't trust an Englishman in the dark". Duncan Spaeth

+11 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haydn_17
Im fed up with quite a few americans not knowing anything about us, i know Texas is a state, why dont you realise Wales, scotland and northern island is part of Britian?

Britian is: Wales, Scotland, Northern Islands

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Haydn_17]

Actually your wrong
And what are the Northern Islands anyway.

Great Britain is the term used for the island containing the contiguous nations of England, Scotland and Wales.

England, Scotland and Wales together with the province of Northern Ireland, form the country officially known as "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" or simply the United Kingdom.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

I would have recommended a gentler introduction. Americans are more likely to be interested in the topic if you try not to get their backs up.

Prehaps it would be better if the discussion were curiosity-driven; let Americans (or anybody else) ask questions about anything in our life they don't understand. We could ask questions in return.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Cytokine_Strom

no he is not.

The same as the United states of America is also called The US or simply america.

The United kingdom is also called, and correctly, Britian.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Whilst I support the general premise of this, OP, I do hope some American doesn't come along and gives you a lesson on how to spell 'Britain' and 'Northern Ireland'.

Also, I've long found out that most Americans don't really care anyway, even if they tend to try and use British history as a basis for what evil, cold-blooded bastards we all are. I've been down this route many times myself. I can't count the amount of times I've had to point out to Cardiac Celts whose great-great-grandfather once spent the day in Dublin that the English are rarely to blame in the way that they'd like to. That, in fact, the English are the ones that have been historically #ed over in ways that Celts don't really appreciate.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

when i went travelling, i met quite a lot of Americans and Camadians who actually thought we have "Tea time", they thought the whole nation stops for a cup of tea at 4pm. I had to explain that people drink tea at all hours of the day here.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB

no he is not.

The same as the United states of America is also called The US or simply america.

ok bob whatever you say

Wiki

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

no he is not.

I don't know about "correctly", but it's commonly used in this way. Technically, they're not the same though and Cytokine_Storm is right as, in geo-political senses, ie correctly, (Great) Britain doesn't refer to any of Ireland at all.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Remember Haydn17 is a proud member of the English Defence league so I'm sure he has all his facts correct and history in check, despite providing sources for his historical information

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
In fact, the Romans first arrived in 55BC but that was the failed invasion from Caesar.

43AD was the conquest from Claudius. Britain was in a state of Celtic warfare at the time, and historical debate surrounds the notion of a Celtic king asking for Roman assistance.

Boudicca, Queen of the Iceni, led the infamous revolt in 60AD. Boudicca is what the female icon of Britannia is based on. Don't know how you can forget to mention her during the Roman occupation.

Legend states a descendent of Noah, was the first inhabitant and populated the Islands (a female descendent, in the Celtic myth, went to Ireland) The first king of the Britons, was Brutus of Troy (that is where the word Briton, apparently comes from) Brutus is the grandson or great grandson of Aeneas.

You've glossed over significant events: The Gun power plot, War of the Roses, Spanish Armada, 100 years war with France, Crusades, Glorious Revolution, the reformation, Commonwealth, Magna Carta, Act of Union, Napoleonic Wars, Restoration of the Monarchy, industrial revolution, assassination of Thomas Beckett, The Reform Act, the Suffragettes, American War of Independence, Colonization of India, scramble for Africa, War of 1812, British East Indian Company, the slavery trade, Jamestown Settlement, Peasant Revolt. I can literally list another 100 significant events.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by infinite]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   

You are going to quote me on my OWN country. from Wikipedia?

Not only Have you made a fool of youself by quoting soimething you dont actually know.

i can also quote wikipedia to "prove" that i am right.

that fact that you had to look it up on wikipedia first shows that you dont know what the F*** you are talking about.

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland[note 7] (commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK or Britain)"
en.wikipedia.org...

Since you wont take the word of an educated englishman. here is a quote from your beloved wikipedia.

Yes, "commonly" known. Commonly know doesn't necessarily mean 'right'. Judging by many, many American posts on here, Britain is also commonly used as an alternative term for England ("Brits oppressing the Scotch! Brraaaveheeaaaarrrrtttt! blah blah blah). Does that make that usage right?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
ok then here is one for you

Use of the term Great Britain

"Great Britain" refers to the majority of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" (UK). It refers to the largest island only, or to England, Scotland and Wales as a unit (though these three countries also include many smaller islands). It does not include Northern Ireland.[21]

In 1975 the government affirmed that the term Britain, not Great Britain, could be used as a shortened form of the United Kingdom.[22] British refers, however, to all citizens of the United Kingdom — including Welsh, Scottish, English, and Northern Irish.[23]

So the term "Britain" refers only to the citizens ... not the countries

Look again at the op who refers Britain as being Scotland Wales and Northern Islands.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

probably easier to just point people towards a book. or two.

Than to list the entire history from 49AD

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

"Brits oppressing the Scotch!"

Who the hell ever said that? thats not common.

+12 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Gentlemen, gentlemen...

Any American watching the way this thread is developing will be learning a lot more about Britain than we realise.

+13 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
A lesson on Britain for AMERICANS

I think the lesson is that we're a bunch of idiots who can't even agree on what Britain is, or even spell it, never mind the actual history of it.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
You've glossed over significant events:

To be fair to the OP, he glossed over everything. It's unfair of anyone to expect them to reel off every significant date over the last 2000 years and place everything in context.

Besides everyone has their own view as to what are the more important dates. Walk into any library in England and you'd think that very little happened until WWWI and WWWII and very little has happened since.

Can you imagine the length of this thread if he included anything approaching a consensus regarding importance?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Ok just one thing I have always been confused about. So you say that Great Britian is compose of England, Scotland, And Wales. Would these be considered countries or parts of a country such as a state, but isn't Great Britian also considered a country. Also you say that northern island(or Ireland as i know it) is part of it. Would this be a piece of Ireland, but Ireland not being a whole country itself but split up into different sections? And only northern Ireland but not Ireland as a whole being part of Great Britian. Just kind of confused about that whole situation.

Oh and by the way I applaud you for knowing that Texas is actually a state, so now you pretty much know everything about the US then.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join