It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: Teaching Kids to Mistrust Government Makes Couple 'Unsuitable' Parents

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Link to story

Police: Teaching Kids to Mistrust Government Makes Couple 'Unsuitable' Parents

Texans, beware: If you teach your kids that the “government is out to harm them,” police in Williamson County might just deem you an “unsuitable” parent.

In another completely dumbfounding, ironic entry, Sgt. Gary Haston of the Williamson County Sheriff’s Department — the officer whose testimony appears on the original search warrant affidavit — actually claims he observed the children “crying for no reason” as armed officers invaded their home. [Emphasis added.]
(visit the link for the full news article)

Sorry folks having trouble getting link to post maybe a mod can help me out here

[edit on 1-4-2010 by DaddyBare]
Moderator Note: Edited to fix link. The '/' at the end of the article link was the culprit. Now link should work.

[edit on 1-4-2010 by burdman30ott6]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The allegation was made against drug reform activist filmmakers Barry and Candi Cooper, whose home was recently raided and searched after the Williamson County Sheriff’s Department claimed Barry’s voice was heard in the background audio of an allegedly false police report.

this by far is the craziest thing I ever seen...Officials are just making stuff up to make life impossible for this couple... visit the link to read this scary story

trueslant.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Note: Fixed link in this post as well.

[edit on 1-4-2010 by burdman30ott6]

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I want to know how they prove it was a taught belief and not a learned one?

My parents for the better part of my childhood were all about the government. I learned my position of mistrust from experience and witnessed events then taught my parents to mistrust the government.

So will they come and take my kids from me because they learned the truth on their own and blame me for it? Experience has taught me yes. Yes they will.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Governments and police set out to kill there citizens, and are the biggest danger there is too any person out there.

The police and government in uk organize to microwave people in there home for no reason other than to just destroy there lifes.

Police only exist for crime, so if crime does not exist they would not have a job period. Its simple maths and logic and very true.

Police and government are the biggest dangers to anyones life in this world especially in relatively safe western society.

The police in london have spent 18 years, get that 18 years trying to frame me. Can you imagine 18 years of desperate police trying to destroy my life for no reason. They made sure i could not do anything with my life. Before this i had nothing to do with teh police and never had any ill feeling towards them.

But man all governments and police are there for, is too destroy. The biggest danger for anyone in the west is to upset someone who knows people in police and government as they can destroy your life forever for no reason.

The police never stopped for 18 years, imagine that 18 years of destroying my life now. At least my life has proved what the police and government in london do, so i am not surprised what goes on in america too.

[edit on 4/1/2010 by andy1033]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I have learned in my 29 years to mistrust most of our government. These cops are an example of idiot lunacy given a badge.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Tyranncail written all over. Ironic indeed.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The problem is we can't really do anything to stop it. Sure, there'll be court cases and allegations about unruly law-enforcement officers, but as soon as they flash their badges and have the papers all signed up, power is their's to abuse.

I think it was the french philosopher Montesquieu who stated that '' Every Man Invested with Power is Apt to Abuse It ''.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Too right you cannot stop them, as the government and police can do anything they want.

Just always remember the police only exist if there is crime. Thats the main reason crime is not controlled as there is money in it for them.

the police are more likely to target people that do nothing than people who commit crimes.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
What law says that teaching kids to mistrust government is unsuitable?

Like Hitler's government or Stalin's government --- you know the word "Government" in general can mean a lot of governments.

What is wrong with mistrusting Kim in North Korea and his gov??

What is wrong with mistrusting Iran's government?

They did not say the US Govt. They just said government.

And I beg of anyone who can, please show me the law that says this is actually against the law.

I bet it is 100% legal to teach your kids to mistrust government.
100%

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Can someone tell me if the below sounds familiar?

Fear spread through the U.S.S.R. as neighbors were ordered to spy on one another. The Soviet government broke up families, and it urged children to inform on their parents to the police.

www.laughtergenealogy.com...

Thoughts?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dff0e2b7f404.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b3b342d8ab52.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a0ed3f6ba796.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/52a173c3b929.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 1-4-2010 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Can someone tell me if the below sounds familiar?

Fear spread through the U.S.S.R. as neighbors were ordered to spy on one another. The Soviet government broke up families, and it urged children to inform on their parents to the police.

www.laughtergenealogy.com...

Thoughts?

That these actions by government are by definition Totalitarian?

That is pretty much all I can say...this is starting to be the U.S.S.A.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

This is extremely aggravating. These people NEED our support, does anyone have any idea besides calling in, what might be done if we don't live in Texas?

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
From the CPS report.

"Barry COOPER is anti government after being a police officer in the early and mid 1990's. COOPER is no longer a police officer due to his habit of stealing the drugs he was assigned to train his canine with. COOPER openly admits he married his "pot dealer" Candace COOPER. The family will not allow any government employee into the home without court orders. Both are very aggressive towards authority. Travis County Sheriff's Deparment involved NOT Pflugerville Police Department."

I smell an old fashioned 'Good ol Boy Network' vendetta cum witch hunt. Nasty.

As an aside... I would like to know what "...will not allow any government employee into the home without court orders." has to do with quality of care for your children. That is their right.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I think the quote goes: "Sure you can trust the government. Just ask a Native American."

Also, the irony is almost palpable in this story. The every day thugs of our government busting into someones home because they don't trust the sort of government that breaks into peoples homes for stupid reasons. If you ask me, the police department should charge themselves with the same offense, as they are probably making the kids more afraid of the government than the parents ever could have.

I hope that police department gets their *snip* sued off.

[edit on 1-4-2010 by ganja]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

This is extremely aggravating. These people NEED our support, does anyone have any idea besides calling in, what might be done if we don't live in Texas?

From reading through the CPS complaint I found this couple has a website Never get busted I took a quick peek and they have a forum where it looks like they have this very topic posted you can talk directly to them if you like

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Why would he require them to have a court order?

I mean, maybe HE and I are insane, but I could have SWORE that some sort of court order was required for that. Legally speaking.

Maybe him and myself are just nuts. Maybe no such thing as "court orders" or "warrants" exist. And it was all a dream I had.

Maybe cops don't need anything. Maybe they don't have to follow a book anymore.

Or maybe, they are turning into goose stepping totalitarians?

It's either or.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I'd urge you to re-think your defense of these people:

"In addition during computer searches they found a nude photograph of the daughter, and several pictures of her smoking marijuana"

While marijuana is thought to be safer than smoking cigarettes by most I think there is a consensus that all smoking is not something kids should be doing! They are putting the health of their children at great risk if this evidence turns out to be accurate.

[edit on 1-4-2010 by truthquest]

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest

I'd urge you to re-think your defense of these people:

"In addition during computer searches they found a nude photograph of the daughter, and several pictures of her smoking marijuana"

While marijuana is thought to be safer than smoking cigarettes by most I think there is a consensus that all smoking is not something kids should be doing! They are putting the health of their children at great risk if this evidence turns out to be accurate.

[edit on 1-4-2010 by truthquest]

Smoking = bad. Fine. Should a 14 year old be smoking anything? Well no. I'm with you there.

However, I would can think of quite a few things that are of far 'greater risk'. Also, most (although not all) criticism has been aimed at the officers 'investigating' this family, rather than 'defending' the actions of the family. There is a difference. It's highly suspect that there is a rather personal agenda playing out here.

What the Coopers are doing in terms of allowing drug use in minors is wrong, in my opinion, but tearing a family apart over marijauna and one more silly, hormonal 14 year old taking a half naked picture of herself is cruel, stupid, excessive and will certainly not help these children.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Barry seems to enjoy the “shock and awe” reactions he gains from his audience by addressing these sensitive issues. Barry Cooper is currently running for Attorney General of Texas on a “Pro-Gun, Pro-Pot, Pro-Family” platform.

From their website here About

Wow it does appear that they do enjoy pushing buttons and generating attention.

posted on Apr, 1 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by truthquest

If you read through the whole article you would have learned the nude photo of the girl was found to be he,r taking pictures of herself... That charge was dropped and the girl given a strong warning about taking risque digital photos...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join