It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do you double speak?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
aint it funny? you might have to be totally oblivious to this but people might just be talking about you in front of your face but with non direct wording. Do you respond? How?..in the same way? maybe its nothing at all. im not sure but this kind of discourse dont seem right. or is it some kind of liguistic evolution. honesty with a twist. either way its not direct.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
What is your question?
Are you talking about reading between the lines?

[edit on 28/3/10 by locster]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
does it really matter?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
OP:

Are you talking about Metaphor?

What do you mean? Please clarify - your post is nonsensical.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dollarfist

No it doesn't.
It does if you want to discuss it.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Nope, I say what I mean face to face. Playing games like that is just rude in my opinion.

edit to add: I know exactly what the OP is talking about. Talking to a person and expressing their feelings about that person or something they have done but pretending they are talking in general terms..It's rude

[edit on 3/28/2010 by tribewilder]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Hey there, dollarfist, I know the others that posted may not know, but I know exactly what you are talking about. Seen it all my life, a person says one thing to your face, and another behind your back, and saying one thing while meaning another thing altogether. Politics taught me all about double speak.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I don't know about double talking. I usually only have to say things once to people, unless of course it involves my kids, this is where I usually find myself having to repeat things not just twice but over and over.
Great kids none the less!!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I know exactly what you mean.

My experience with it is mainly the other way around.
I say or write something and someone assumes I am saying somthing entirely different. Even if what I said was perfect flawless .

People hear or read often what they want or expect to.

This must be because they are used to what you are saying.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Everything is contextual. The OP certainly leaves enough room to interpret......heh.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollarfist
aint it funny?

No.

you might have to be totally oblivious to this but people might just be talking about you in front of your face but with non direct wording.

Amazing.

Do you respond?

Yes.

How?

Letting out a long drawn out fart.

in the same way?

No, see above answer.

maybe its nothing at all.

Possibly.

im not sure but this kind of discourse dont seem right.

Start a war.

or is it some kind of liguistic evolution.

Hmmmm, definitely not.

honesty with a twist.

Honesty with a twist?!
Is this some kind of fruit beverage?!

either way its not direct.

Or is it?!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

I like your reply, its not like you talk crap or that I absolutely hate you, being completely honest haha.

On a more serious note after the example, I do know what your talking about and its just sad.

Im like yourself and I like the reply chief.

There are some people who are just joking though, it can be hard to tell but the eyes never lie. Especially if someone is looking at the ground when they say something like my first line.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Here is my example of 'doublespeak':

Sometimes, acquaintences of mine (read: folks on ATS or other internet forums)...have really closed minds and don't like to think abstractly (read: don't agree with me, or support my contentions), should go get more education and critical thinking skills (read: be kicked in the ass by me, or banned for life from ATS), and support me more (read: everyone should send me money/unconditional love & admiration) because I am a nice person (read: I know everything and you/they know nothing).

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

as long as women walk the earth you're just going to have to live with double speak. it's frustrating, annoying, upsetting and confusing but, on the bright side, some day it will drive you to give up altogether, pretend to go deaf and die three years earlier than your wife.

enjoy

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I just brain wave em back and watch for their recieving response, lol like seeing some people in the city and mentally responding back to them as they say things to me/about and wiz by.
PARANOID DONT KNOWZ

[edit on 3/29/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

new topics

top topics

join