It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a difference between being old and feeling old?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Hello ATS. I know that most members here are older then me by few/many years but sometimes I feel like I am aging faster then usual. The fact that I am already 25 and this being the year 2010 I feel that my youth is slipping me by. The technology that we have now should have been 4 times better then todays standards but now that I think about it, time itself is speeding up without much progress. In the past centuries people didn't live as long as we do now and looked older even before they left their middle ages but now at the age of 40 I see my leaders show their true age not by wisdom but by severe crankiness. I don't know if it is a time shift or the suns rays but I think that something out here is getting people to look old real fast like the Iraqis who look like there in their 70's when their real age is in the late 40's. My joints are getting rusty and I don't feel like an energetic person anymore. Is this the sign of the times that we are living in or is it the mentall effects of what becomes of a person when they find out that they don't have much time in this world? Does anyone feel like they are getting older then usual and if so what do you think is causing it?

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

This feeling you are experiencing is probably related to your circumstances, don't you think? I know you will be coming home soon, and as soon as you get in some cool jeans and shirts, among family and friends and are able to start taking care of yourself again, I suggest this feeling will pass.

The huge amount of stress you have been under for so long, is undoubtedly creating much of this, and taking it's toll. You have been living under extrodinary circumstances. No 25 year old should be subjected to the things you have.

Not to say your experience hasn't changed you in some ways forever, I'm sure it has. But there are parts of your youth that will be recovered when you get back home. It might take some time. Be prepared. But before long you will be giggling over a beer with friends, as well you should.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
Does anyone feel like they are getting older then usual and if so what do you think is causing it?

In a word......time.

But seriously, wisdom-wise you seem way beyond your years. I have heard this accelerated feeling of age advancement referred to as "the quickening."

But I caution you from judging a book by it's cover. Outward appearances are not always a prime indicator of age. For every person you present that looks haggard beyond their years, I could present 10 just the opposite. I think it has to do with stress, culture, heredity, lifestyle and exposure to elements.

Some say the soul never ages which is why we all feel "young at heart." There are two "people" that can have a profound impact, Mother Nature and Father Time.

One of my favorite quotes regarding this is by John Barrymore. Something to the effect that "A person isn't old until their dreams are replaced by regrets."

Great thread. Keep questioning and observing. You are well on your path. If you reach a fork in the road, take it.

Kind Regards...kk.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

This feeling you are experiencing is probably related to your circumstances, don't you think? I know you will be coming home soon, and as soon as you get in some cool jeans and shirts, among family and friends and are able to start taking care of yourself again, I suggest this feeling will pass.

The huge amount of stress you have been under for so long, is undoubtedly creating much of this, and taking it's toll. You have been living under extrodinary circumstances. No 25 year old should be subjected to the things you have.

Not to say your experience hasn't changed you in some ways forever, I'm sure it has. But there are parts of your youth that will be recovered when you get back home. It might take some time. Be prepared. But before long you will be giggling over a beer with friends, as well you should.

This post made me smile and around here I could use more of that. Perhaps it does vary upon mindset and physical environment that makes us feel old and young.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

That would also explain why the women here age faster then the men. They do way more physical work then the men do as far as grabing crops and hauling baskets of goods.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Age is always relevant. I went through life feeling old -- even when I was young. Now I look back and think how silly that was. It was just a mindset I think.

Now I am nearly 62 and remind myself that all any of us have is this moment, here and now, and so, no matter whether we are young or old, make the best of it.

I do think that making the best of it is a bit easier when you are young. When you are truly old; then you have to work a bit harder at it, but its still doable.

Last night I was in a bar listening to some heavy rock bands. There were moments last night when I was still 19 -- in my heart at least.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
When I was 25 ,I felt like I was 40...
Now as I approach 40, I feel like Iam 25.
The difference is my life circumstances, and the change in my attitude.
Age is really a number, and yes you are as young or old as you feel.
Your thoughts play more of a part than anything on your physical health and well being.
I have known 20 year olds with grey hair...and those 50+ with nary one..
Life dictates events that may come your way and influence things, but it's all in how your thought process works that will make you feel older or younger.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
being old is way different than feeling old.

when i was younger i went through a period of time when i had no option than to drink municipal water, eat processed foods, consume salty snacks, forego regimented stretching and daily exercise...

i always felt old, tired, sore, anguished, my joints & muscles were aging on me as i felt my former strength, muscle tone, vigor, joint maneuverability and elasticity slowly drain away. One can even feel the cells in the body expand with cellulite growth after consuming sugary drinks with salty snacks, or even the All-American meal of meat-&-potatoes....(yech)

I was bed ridden at the time, but it took me about 6 years to graduate from bed, to wheelchair, to cane
and another 3 years now, of whats considered petty exercise routines,
but for my recovery a step-in-the-right direction...and an outlook that calls everything difficult to do as 'Therapy'.

keep looking forward

sweat, exercise, consume a proper diet & intake of foods, & don't shuffle through life, do everything with force & velocity (yes even relaxing),
ground yourself with meditations and or Yoga, exercise the brain a lot

thanks, for reminding me to keep pressing on

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I am 62, I feel better and just as young now as when I was your age. Then, I was sure I would never live to see the year 2000.

I am totally convinced that part of the reason I feel better is that I moved here in 2004. Just by accident I moved to Moldova.. immediately lost 25 pounds, could not figure out why. Thought maybe I was dying of something but I was feeling lots better. Then I found out that Moldova does not allow ANY preservatives of any kind to be put in any food products. Soft drinks are sweetened with real sugar. They do not allow High Fructose Corn syrup in anything. I used to laugh at the "natural food freaks", I laugh no more. They are absolutely spot on.

My friends and classmates in the states are dying off like flies and I can run 16 flights of steps to my office when the elevator is off on the weekend.

I also think a lot of feeling "OLD" is a state of mind. My friends here are all your age, quite by accident just because the people here my age only speak Russian and my Russian is just barely passable. So everyone I am around including my wife who is a year younger than you speak English.

It is simply a matter of state of mind and what you eat as far as I can see.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by expat2368
I am 62, I feel better and just as young now as when I was your age. Then, I was sure I would never live to see the year 2000.

I am totally convinced that part of the reason I feel better is that I moved here in 2004. Just by accident I moved to Moldova.. immediately lost 25 pounds, could not figure out why. Thought maybe I was dying of something but I was feeling lots better. Then I found out that Moldova does not allow ANY preservatives of any kind to be put in any food products. Soft drinks are sweetened with real sugar. They do not allow High Fructose Corn syrup in anything. I used to laugh at the "natural food freaks", I laugh no more. They are absolutely spot on.

My friends and classmates in the states are dying off like flies and I can run 16 flights of steps to my office when the elevator is off on the weekend.

I also think a lot of feeling "OLD" is a state of mind. My friends here are all your age, quite by accident just because the people here my age only speak Russian and my Russian is just barely passable. So everyone I am around including my wife who is a year younger than you speak English.

It is simply a matter of state of mind and what you eat as far as I can see.

I can see now why I always drink fruit juices from the dining facility instead of soda. We get most of our drinks from kuwait or saudia arabia and they taste better then some of the crap in the states and are all natural. As far as the food though some of it looks really old and loaded with preservatives except Iraqi food.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Hi,

As my 60th birthday approaches (in May) I can only concur!

For years I was 30 and then for another 10 or so years I was 40 - but then found myself suddenly breathless whilst reaching for my cigs and wondered what the hell was happening. Though the mind was young the body wasn't....

I really believe that to-day we oldies are 'younger' than our parents were (at the same age) and that youth is 'older' - although the latter may not be such a good thing - especially for the young children who are force fed 'maturity'.

For the OP I have included a piece from my novel (Peter is 33 and Shirl is 4.8632 - reoccurring);

Peter pretended to think for a second then started. ‘I’m trying to remember back to when I was as old as you.’ He explained. ‘Do you know, I think I used to have real problems.

I was always ahead of my age. When I was four, I was really twelve and when I was seven, I thought I was at least sixteen?’ He looked at her and she nodded. ‘No one ever seems to remember how difficult it can be to be young (or thirty three) do they?’

Shirl shook her head.

‘Always being told what to do?’

Shirl nodded.

‘And always being told what not to do?’

Again Shirl nodded and started to warm to this adult who seemed to understand a little about life’s complexities.

‘You know what’s harder though?’

She shook her head but looked at him with an inquisitive expectancy.

‘It’s being a child when you’re a grown up.’

She looked at him with some confusion.

‘I suppose you think it’s a breeze being an adult?’

She nodded in firm agreement with this statement.

‘Well surprisingly, it’s not.’ Peter shook his head. ‘When you’re grown up, people expect you to behave and follow even more rules than when you’re young. Billions of rules. Can you image that?’ Peter spread his hands and pulled a face of exaggerated exasperation.

Shirl now laughed. Watching her troubled daughter, Lynne reflected that this was first time she had seen overt happiness in her daughter for a long time.

‘All sorts of rules that are, well if you ask me, aaabsolutely stupid.’ Peter paused.

Even the adults were intrigued as to which direction this conversation would now take. (As, come to think of it, was Peter.)

‘Do you know that now I’m expected to squeeze the toothpaste tube from the back of the tube? I always found it easier to squeeze it in the middle or anywhere. As long as it came out of the top in a splodge.’

Shirl giggled. She particularly liked the word ‘splodge’

‘And washing up.’ Peter looked up to the sky. ‘Once upon a time, I used to leave the dishes in the dish washer, that way I always knew where they were – but now, now, I’m expected to put them all back in the cupboard.’

He shook his head then continued, ‘And worse - vegetables. Now I’ve got to eat veggies with every dinner – and at my age!’ Peter pretended to look totally bewildered (which on this point, actually he was.) As Carol listened, she smiled despite her eyes being slightly moist. Maria too was watching intently.

‘Rules, rules, rules.’ He sighed and paused. ‘But even though I’m supposed to behave properly (the group prayed silently and fervently), there are still a few things that I’ve found it best not to do. Not because there are rules but, because, like you, I just don’t want to.’ Shirl clearly understood this. ‘Like cutting myself with a knife. I don’t do that as it hurts. Same with smoking. That too can hurt. I know, there’re lot’s of grown-ups around here smoking but…’ he stopped and whispered, ’I don’t think they’re as grown up as you, do you?’

Shirl wasn’t sure whether to nod or shake her head in response to this question, however, she enjoyed this approach, being talked to by an adult and treated as an adult. (Despite the fact, that in her considered opinion, Peter himself, appeared pretty immature.)

As a result of this conversation, in her future life, she would never resort to self-injury or smoke cigarettes. (As for nearly dying of alcoholic poisoning, taking numerous Ecstasy tablets, frequent joints and odd '___' trips – well, unfortunately, Peter had failed to adequately cover these topics.)

‘Might be an idea if you had some food now?’ Peter asked, but Shirl looked at him, shook her head, smiled then burped.

Peace!

Peace!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Explanation: S's&F!

1stly to answer the question posed by the threads title...

Yes!, there a difference between being old and feeling old!

Here is why...

Being Old:

When I was just born, I was far healthier than I am now [OL is 37], BUT...

... I couldn't walk, talk or eat properly ect, and most of my feelings were instinctual drives!

Now that I am Old [OL has a silver lock/shock of hair OK!] and my bodies on the decline [i.e. less healthy] when compared to my previous youthfull state, BUT...

... I can walk and more! I can run [poorly]!

... I can talk and more! I can debate [constructively]!

... I can eat and more! I can cook [Bacon
]!

... I can feel and more! I can be dispassionate [controlled detatchment]!

VS...

Feeling Old:

At about the age of 30+yrs, OL contemplated himself and the universe at large as regards to temporal aspects...

[Please NOTE: When I use the word "see's" I actually meen a state of full sensation including emotional and other factors ect! ]

OL personally see's himself and the universe [from my POV] as being only 30+yrs Old!

BUT...

OL scientifically see's himself and the universe [from its POV] as being 13.7+ Billion yrs Old!

AND...

OL spiritually see's himself and the universe [from Gods POV] as being timeless and or eternally Old!

The difference in both Cases [i.e. physical and mental] is one of maturity!

Physical Age [i.e Oldness] is often a POOR [but not always] identifying feature when it comes to truly assessing ones own , or anothers, Mental Maturity!

Personal Disclosure: Mature people tend to be able to read the map accurately and make good logistical [survival] decisions REGARDLESS of their [and others] physical pro's and con's.

So whether you ARE young or old OR feel either way, the answer is to be Mature! This is what being WISE is all about!

P.S. The 2012 singularity is distorting our perceptions of time... its an illusion to be ignored as we are already beyond the event horizon of no return! Hang on for the ride of our lives OK as there will be friction and sparks ect the closer we get to it! To lessen the fear, we should maintain being safe and having fun, by partying on, as either +,0 or - outcome is worth celebrating in comfort and style!
IF 2012 = end of the world... Ok cool... THEN Party On!

IF 2012 = start of the new world... OK cool... THEN Party On!

IF 2012 = same old same old... OK cool... THEN Party On!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

you never cease to amaze me OL and your right. Just because I feel old doesn't mean that I am old until I am completely unable to walk properly and eat food without it being crushed to paste. Thanks for your POV as well.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by Stop-loss!]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AccessDenied
When I was 25 ,I felt like I was 40...
Now as I approach 40, I feel like Iam 25.
The difference is my life circumstances, and the change in my attitude.
Age is really a number, and yes you are as young or old as you feel.
Your thoughts play more of a part than anything on your physical health and well being.
I have known 20 year olds with grey hair...and those 50+ with nary one..
Life dictates events that may come your way and influence things, but it's all in how your thought process works that will make you feel older or younger.

AD you have such a way with words. The sentiment here is so true, but sometimes difficult to accomplish. Once we see it is true, we are able to work on working on it. But, yes, it's all about the attitude and thought processes.

When we are in "survival mode" one might not have the luxury of this kind of self-work. Ah, but it comes eventually, thank goodness.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I'm only 18, and my entire life I have been a workout freak. I have worked out literally every day for 3 years...used to run the table at power lifting meets and tried to be the best football player I could be.

But then I got tired of football. And ever since then I workout out about twice a week if I'm lucky and always have school work. I know petty to complain about, but I do feel 3 years older these past 6 months. My knee injuries are starting to come back, and my lower back seems to be cramping up a lot.

It's amazing how quickly the body stats falling apart after you stop physically exercising like you used to.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Excuse me, but I had to laugh out loud at your post, in that you are but 25 long years old....
I am not laughing at you, friend, I have also heard my little boy, 12, say the same things. I am 56 years old, been around for a long time. Had a '58 Chevy Convertible fall on me when I was 15 that crushed my chest and broke most of my ribs. When I was 17, I smashed a Pontiac Catalina head on into a big oak tree, which didn't move an inch. In 1985, I rolled over in a semi truck, breaking my neck and spine in places still not fully healed up. I have spent a great deal of my older years in hospitals and doctor's offices.

That being said, I am a child of the 60s. When I was growing up that standard was, "don't trust anyone over 30." Suddenly I was 30, and had a couple of kids, a wife, a career, car payments, and bills to pay. I was very quickly becoming my parents, even though I had rebelled against that way of living. Thankfully I had a son who was an Indigo. He taught me how to again touch and know my inner child again. I made up my mind then that in Spirit, I was going to stay 30 for the rest of my days here on Earth. Now, even my wife says I am her oldest child.

On the technology thing, when I was young, jet aircraft was brand new, as were televisions, we got our first one in 1956. I remember having an "ice box" instead of a refrigerator, and I remember when $20 would feed a family of 6 in good style. In school we were taught that the "Communist Menace" was the worst thing that could be, and we were taught o get down on the floor under our desks to protect us from Nuclear Bombs.
(caution, strong language!)

The point is, I know, know beyond any doubt that the Military has technology that is far away about anything they let us have. They are using ET technology in the Stealth aircraft and they will never show you. They have the ability to time travel, but you will never be told of this. The only way to find out things is to search for it, and expose it for what it is.

I think like you do that the times are what is making people feel older than they are. I really feel sorry for you friend, because when I was your age I could get a good paying job anywhere just by applying for it. I could buy a new car for less than $10,000. The weight of the word was not yet on my shoulders, as it seems to be on yours.

A few things have come to me. I alone cannot effect any change whatsoever unless I talk about it, a lot. I alone cannot take down a criminal in office, I need others to do this for me, I only shine a light on them. I cannot save everyone. I cannot save even one. Everyone is on their own, and that is the way of it.

Feel better, friend, you may not have the ability to grow old as I have, but this is an exciting time to be alive.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I guess it is kind of funny thinking that I am old at age 25 when a troop of mine is 31 but acts like a teenager all the time. You sir have inspired me to feel and act young again but at the same time keep my mature status in check. Big $tar for you.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Thank you for a thought provoking thread. ATS is always such a great place to be when you want to expand your mind.

I am only 19, so I am not really physically old.

But I do "feel" old in the fact I have experienced much in this lifetime, and I consider myself very cultured and mature for my age. I can of course act like a kid sometimes, and love every minute of it, but I can also have very intelligent conversation with people much older than my age group.

Again, thank you for this thread. I will definitely have to ponder this topic more and will most likely have more to add in the future.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Thanks SolarE. I have a feeling that I will be feeling young again when my crew and I come back to the states and rip El Paso a new one pretty soon. Most likely being this bored all the time had led me to think that father time was creeping up on me but now I can prove myself wrong by doing the things I haven't had the chance of doing for a long time.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

to keep young and flexible in mind and body is a wonderful feeling.

do lots of yoga or tai chi or something similar and you WILL preserve your youth.

the yoga will rebalance your hormonal system and compensate for any negative thinking.

eat food that is as unprocessed as you can reasonably find.

do NOT believe that just because most of those around you are getting old, that you have to follow suite.

try and do everything in moderation.;- the middle way?

be in the company of the young as much as possible. (not the "off the rails" type of youngsters). but, especially little children.

an american friend i met years ago in Perth, west oz,(john rorbough)had a sign on his kitchen wall. "do not break rule 7". which made the reader/guest enquire as to what it was. john replied," thou shalt not take thyself too seriously". john had xmas celebrations called "xmas,mark 1", for those who could not make it, he had a week later, "xmas, mark 2".

yes, as shakespeare said, "the world is a stage, we have our exits and our entrances".

eagerly look forward to the next decade, as in, "in so many years i'll be 30"; and when it happens, look forward to your turning 40, it will tend to avoid you.

breathe slowly, be gentle. my great grand daughter is 3. my youngest son is 3.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by orangutang]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join