It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Is there a difference between being old and feeling old?

page: 2
9
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
I have a feeling that I will be feeling young again when my crew and I come back to the states


Going back to a place where you spent a lot of time when you were younger has a way of putting you back into that mindset.

Let's say you had a favorite recreational park from your childhood. Going back there 10 years later can stir up many memories of that area, along with what your mind was like and how it thought during that period of your life. So being back in the states, you will most likely adopt some old traits that you had that you can only have when in that environment.

That is why I love to keep a journal. It can really take you back to old mindsets, and you can see how much you have matured mentally since then.

Thanks again for coming up with such a great thread. It really got me thinking, and hell, I just came up with what I said above right now. I love when one shares something with others, it can be just as beneficial to the talker as it is to the listener.




posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I think feeling young is just the resulting factor of new experiences.

Like look what happens when you are old, and in your circumstances it applies as well--You come home to the seem wife everyday, to the same set of kids, the same house, the same room, the same job, and your emotions becomes amazingly constant...it's almost like you lose track of time when you are doing the same things day after day, because you don't have to think about things as much.

Just like you, its the same situation. Granted I don't know what life in the military life is like...but I imagine you wake up in the same base every day, go through the same daily regiments, the same work outs, and all that good stuff.

After a while you just sort of lose emotions like excitement and nerves...and emotions are really the only things that keep us guessing and happy.

But when you are young- you are meeting people, working out to look good so you can approach girls, learning new ways to look at life, trying to establish long lasting relationships. Your brain and body always have to be ready for change.

Like they say...crazy is just doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Just like if you woke up in a jail cell everyday to your own thoughts. It would become so routine that everything outside the boundies of your mind don't matter.

And if we can't expand, we can't learn, and if we can't learn we can't grow...and as soon as we get old (we stop growing)...we start shrinking in height, common sense, intelligence, you just lose touch with the present.

Hopefully that makes sense. But that is what my 18 year old mind thinks about aging. Which is why I love my quiet contemplation time so I can write on my book, write music, play video games, work out, etc and then when I've had enough of that, I will hit up someone so I can get my mind off all that crap and have fun.

It's all about the balance of your perception and reality.



posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

My joints are getting rusty and I don't feel like an energetic person anymore.

What do you eat? Do you exercise every day? Are you getting enough sleep? What is your body weight? Do you smoke? Take any drugs?

I'm 54 now and I must say I do still feel half my age. I still exercise, love to still inline skate, swim, cycle, etc. If you are taking good care of yourself and yet you still feel as if something is wrong, go get a physical and see if that turns up anything unusual. If on the other hand you eat fast and/or factory processed foods, don't exercise for at least an hour a day 5 days a week, and if you are overweight, smoke, drink, etc., then you are feeling the affects of that abuse and neglect.

Oh, also, don't drink city tap water, filter than yuck before you do so (that in itself made me feel a lot better, simply getting rid of the fluoride and bleach and all those prescription drugs people carelessly excrete and pollute the water supply with). And don't eat any factory farm meats (that stuff is packed with crap that will make you feel wiped out after eating it these days, it's disgusting .. from the drugs they inject into these animals, to the ammonia and red lady bugs they mix into the meat to keep it fresh and looking red while it's enroute from those 3rd world nations that would sell you scrapping off the bottom of their shoes if you would buy and eat it).

And don't forget to exercise, an aerobic/cario level workout, for at least one hour a day, at least 5 days a week. If you can't do that for yourself, then you have no grounds to complain about how OLD you feel. If you want to feel young, you must ACT young .. not old.



posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This is from the voice of experience...

Smoking, drinking to much, drugs, and living the saloon society lifestyle will trash your body and mind. I felt healthy, strong and young for many years but it eventually caught up with me around 50. Still I had a good run at it!

I had to give up performing in bars, touring the festivals with my band because it was killing me and getting back into shape isn't easy and I sorely miss my mates and music but the choice was made abundantly clear after a heart attack.....Rock or die.



posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
This is from the voice of experience...

Smoking, drinking to much, drugs, and living the saloon society lifestyle will trash your body and mind. I felt healthy, strong and young for many years but it eventually caught up with me around 50. Still I had a good run at it!

I had to give up performing in bars, touring the festivals with my band because it was killing me and getting back into shape isn't easy and I sorely miss my mates and music but the choice was made abundantly clear after a heart attack.....Rock or die.


Whaaa, I ALWAYS love your contributions and now I realize why.

We are both " Too old to Rock 'n Roll but too young to die."



posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious
 


I hear ya...

A 25 year old guy bitchin about gettin old falls on deaf ears; old deaf ears.



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by kinda kurious
 


I hear ya...

A 25 year old guy bitchin about gettin old falls on deaf ears; old deaf ears.



I too am going deaf but not from old age. Getting blown and loud engines just doesn't agree with my hearing even with headphones.



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!
 


yes old is the sense of death approach, but in truth there is no death so that is why old is associated with being dirt like



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Always enjoy your posts stop-loss!!!

I turned 24 in september and feel like it's all going by so fast and i'm not really getting anywhere, if you know what I mean? that makes you feel old in a way.

But really I don't feel 24 at all! I still feel like a teenager some days, but I do feel the expectations of someone my age and that gets on my nerves sometimes!

I do think it's in the head as people have said, interesting to hear what the older folk say
and Whaa's input is always good to read





posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by valiant
 


I agree valiant. Although Whaa can be grumpy at times he does share some good wisdom. At least there is something good in being old and thats the knowledge that you retain over the years and share it with those who have questions about life and other catagories for that matter.



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!
 


It's a pleasure to see our younger folk questioning outside the box.
And I do apologize for my grumpy mood at times but always consider;
when you run into a mean, grumpy, older person ; they are not being a natural ****head; they are in pain and that usually manifest itself in being ugly to those around them.

Seniors have pride and don't want to seem complaining and whining all the time but a lot of us live with constant pain from old joints[arthritis] backs, digestion, bursitis, skin problems[shingles], gall and kidney stones, fading memories[Altimeters] dementia; sometimes it's hard to be sweet and loving
when you are hurting.

And there is the mental an emotional aspect of growing older; the fact that you didn't even come close to living your dreams and utilizing your natural God given talents and now it's out of reach. Depression that causes many old folks to check out early, either with pills, .38, or crashing into a bridge embankment at 90mph.

When you reach 50 it seems like 19 was just a few days ago.
Be happy, live your dreams one day at a time and put aside all that anger, angst and being pissedoff. Don't let youthful enthusiasm and strength be wasted.

Eat right, exercise and wear your sunscreen!

God Bless



posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Nostradumbass
 


I am amazed that an 18 yr old can have so much insight to life as to say


After a while you just sort of lose emotions like excitement and nerves...and emotions are really the only things that keep us guessing and happy.


As I said above, I am going on 62, and your statement is absolutely 100% correct. The big difference between young life and old is that when you are young everything is new and therefore interesting -- you can have a new experience almost every day. When you are old it is really hard to find something novel -- kinda like having "been there"/ "done that" with everything, but when you do find something new, it can be just as exciting as it was when you were young.

The thing is, the same old "pop" culture just may not do it. Once you've seen a million new gadgets, the next new one just isn't all that. I find novelty and interest in the strangest places sometimes, and then again, sometimes its just a great new local indie rock band. The day I stop exploring is the day I might as well die.

The other thing about old is that we get so saddled with the rules -- so in order to stay alive you really gotta question the rules, the "way" things are done, and think for yourself - for ever.

[edit on 3/29/2010 by wayno]



posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
OP, you feel older as your real age?
So am I.
i'm the same age as you, I've had a very, very hard life, full of loneliness and economical issues. Also a deep depression that started when I was 15 and lasted till I was 24 y.o. (I'm turning 26 in May), caused by a hormonal issue...
My life experiences are harder than every person I know, I was in the verge of suicide in countless ocasions because I've never felt love to myself as strong as I've loved... not even from my parents (I don't live with them, and not because I want... they leaved)...
... but now... taking the right mdication for my endochrinal issue and finally out from that depression, I'm looking this hard life as an advantage. Problems that are big deal for the people of my age are just... minor stuff that makes me laugh. Even when I'm still alone, I've managed to live with that and now it doesn't bother me.

The only bad thing is I'm grumpy as a 80 y.o.!
Sometimes I can't stand when people is sad or worried for small and stupid stuff! Like when they can't have the newest cellphone or a new wardrobe. Look at me! My cellphone is old as dirt and my wardrobe looks like a cartoon character one! I dress the same all days of my life! hahahaha! And I'm still happy anyway


Really, now I'm happier than the average 25 y.o. girl, all because of the bad life I've had and the things I've learnt in the process... It wouldn't bw bad if I win the lottery or something like this, because going to college with like 0% of support is very complex when you can't have a part time job (my schedule doesn't let me get one... it's so heavy and sometimes I can't sleep in weeks just doing homework...)

again, sorry, late at night, crappy grammar and now I'm writing as in the old times (hardcore mode): without a spell checker!

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Caggy]



posted on Mar, 30 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Caggy
OP, you feel older as your real age?
So am I.
i'm the same age as you, I've had a very, very hard life, full of loneliness and economical issues. Also a deep depression that started when I was 15 and lasted till I was 24 y.o. (I'm turning 26 in May), caused by a hormonal issue...
My life experiences are harder than every person I know, I was in the verge of suicide in countless ocasions because I've never felt love to myself as strong as I've loved... not even from my parents (I don't live with them, and not because I want... they leaved)...
... but now... taking the right mdication for my endochrinal issue and finally out from that depression, I'm looking this hard life as an advantage. Problems that are big deal for the people of my age are just... minor stuff that makes me laugh. Even when I'm still alone, I've managed to live with that and now it doesn't bother me.

The only bad thing is I'm grumpy as a 80 y.o.!
Sometimes I can't stand when people is sad or worried for small and stupid stuff! Like when they can't have the newest cellphone or a new wardrobe. Look at me! My cellphone is old as dirt and my wardrobe looks like a cartoon character one! I dress the same all days of my life! hahahaha! And I'm still happy anyway


Really, now I'm happier than the average 25 y.o. girl, all because of the bad life I've had and the things I've learnt in the process... It wouldn't bw bad if I win the lottery or something like this, because going to college with like 0% of support is very complex when you can't have a part time job (my schedule doesn't let me get one... it's so heavy and sometimes I can't sleep in weeks just doing homework...)

again, sorry, late at night, crappy grammar and now I'm writing as in the old times (hardcore mode): without a spell checker!

[edit on 30-3-2010 by Caggy]


I know what you mean. being lonely can have an effect to feeling old as if everyone has moved on with their lives that you start to feel isolated and older then usual. I have felt this for almost a whole year! and am just several days away from leaving this cursed place. Thanks for the reply and you have earned a star and good luck with your struggles in life.


[edit on 30-3-2010 by Stop-loss!]



posted on Apr, 22 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!
 


Under the circumstance you were in it was only normal to feel that way in my opinion

But a lot of the time I think it's people psych I mean people just expect that with age comes pain in the back and your joints begin to hurt. I mean you get all of this sort of stuff
) Once you get back it's gnna be all good again



new topics

top topics



 
9
<< 1   >>

log in

join