It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why we should ditch religion {TED video}

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Just love these TED videos. I think religion is the biggest obstacle to peace in this world. Maybe we do need the aliens to come down and tell us we are wrong about god. Some great points made in the video, have a look and let me know what you think.

Video

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
one many good TED talks, although ive never heard of:

"the reason project"
"spreading secularism and scientific thinking"

sounds like it could end up being so non-religious they have people preaching their message like fundamentalists of any other religion

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
See I think that is the atheist side of people talking. There are religions that are unhealthy like Christianity, or Islam. But certain people from those groups are the nicest people in the world. It is the people who get obsessed with the dogma of it, and take it too far. Taoism and Buddhism are one of the best religions in my opinion.

P.S Can someone please tell what the video explains if they could, still on dial up

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I would like to point out something. So please, people on both sides of the debate don't be subjective or biased.

I can partially agree with "ditching" religion, however, not entirely. He doesn't seem to realize that it isn't the text of religions or their beliefs that cause the "problems" we have today. The source of the problem is people being blinded by high officials that deliberately misinterpret religious doctrines so that they are able to exert a certain political agenda for certain profitable interests and to exert control.

It is the same way with voting for republicans or democrats, they misinterpret real conservatism and liberalism to push their political agenda for their corporate campaign contributers and corporate lobbying colleagues. While in reality they misinterpret their political "beliefs" but they don't even practice those.

Same with advertising, you can "choose" what you want to do, but suggestive thinking through corporate advertisement implants subliminal
memories that cause your perspective to change, that is the point of advertising.

So please don't just go and chastise religion. Blame the ones who lead the religions and misinterpret the doctrines for their political agenda.

The bible doesn't say what evangelicals believes. It is meant so that you are able to read it yourself and take what personally enlightens you. Don't allow some money hungry person you don't know to tell you what to believe. The same goes for all religions. It's for your personal enlightenment and for a better life. Same with politics DON'T TRUST ANY CANDIDATE THAT TAKES CONTRIBUTIONS FROM CORPORATIONS THAT LOBBY CONGRESS. VOTING FOR THEM IS JUST YOU GIVING YOUR CONSENT FOR THEM TO DO WHAT THEY WANT. IT IS REAL TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION

[edit on 27-3-2010 by elfulanozutan0]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Sounds, to me, like yet more scapegoating concepts for people's actions while exorting others to join their anti-religion that acts amazingly like what they denounce......

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I wouldn't enjoy the act of pointing fingers for much longer. The person who's responsible for all of this, is much closer than you think.

[edit on 27-3-2010 by manbird12000]

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by elfulanozutan0
I would like to point out something. So please, people on both sides of the debate don't be subjective or biased.

I can partially agree with "ditching" religion, however, not entirely. He doesn't seem to realize that it isn't the text of religions or their beliefs that cause the "problems" we have today. The source of the problem is people being blinded by high officials that deliberately misinterpret religious doctrines so that they are able to exert a certain political agenda for certain profitable interests and to exert control.

It is the same way with voting for republicans or democrats, they misinterpret real conservatism and liberalism to push their political agenda for their corporate campaign contributers and corporate lobbying colleagues. While in reality they misinterpret their political "beliefs" but they don't even practice those.

Same with advertising, you can "choose" what you want to do, but suggestive thinking through corporate advertisement implants subliminal
memories that cause your perspective to change, that is the point of advertising.

So please don't just go and chastise religion. Blame the ones who lead the religions and misinterpret the doctrines for their political agenda.

The bible doesn't say what evangelicals believes. It is meant so that you are able to read it yourself and take what personally enlightens you. Don't allow some money hungry person you don't know to tell you what to believe. The same goes for all religions. It's for your personal enlightenment and for a better life. Same with politics DON'T TRUST ANY CANDIDATE THAT TAKES CONTRIBUTIONS FROM CORPORATIONS THAT LOBBY CONGRESS. VOTING FOR THEM IS JUST YOU GIVING YOUR CONSENT FOR THEM TO DO WHAT THEY WANT. IT IS REAL TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION

[edit on 27-3-2010 by elfulanozutan0]

Very well written -

People should remember, or know, that God didn't create all of the "religions" that are in the world today - mankind did. God had, and has, nothing to do with "religion".

"Religion" ISN'T to blame for corrupt politicians, people being gunned down for a $1.48, babies being slaughtered by the millions in the name of "choice" and "rights", homosexuality on every street corner across the globe, atheism becoming the norm across society, drugs being used by millions of children with some still in elementary school, lying and stealing for a $20 video game, 11 year old little girls having babies..........

The blame for every one of those rests squarely on the shoulders of mankind.

Tossing God into the "religion" pile is done mostly by non believers who want to try to avoid accountability for their own shortcomings. Sad part is, that is the game that most politicians use when trying to shift the spotlight to someone/something else - to try to avoid their own corruption.

Mankind has grown so accustomed to drive thrus, instant pudding and disposable razors, we think we can yank God like a chain whenever we need someone to blame for our mistakes and sins.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
If you toss religion to ensure world peace then you might as well toss Government. It is my understanding that they are one in the same. Both have good things about them and both have corruption. They are both there to ensure people behave.

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
So, i should give up my beliefs because some brainiac says it's not important.

I don't think so, FAIL!

posted on Mar, 27 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by bringthelight
Maybe we do need the aliens to come down and tell us we are wrong about god.

Even better, why doesn't god himself come down and tell us that we are wrong about things. Oh wait........

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I consider my self spiritual, not religious. I think throwing yourself in one category and saying, "this is my god and everyone else is wrong" causes problems. I agree that there are good aspects of religion such as the message of Jesus, Buddah, Hindu gods, etc, but the message always gets distorted by agendas for political or controling purposes.

If people started looking inside themselves for god, through meditation or silent reflection, there would be a lot more clarity on the subject of God.

I wish everyone well on their search!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

How would you know if the aliens are lying or just sharing their belief, not the fact, like people do? Why would they be any more in the position to know?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
agreed we should drop it....

we are all human and the same, and made by the same organisms.

we are all gods basically

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
no i dont think we should ditch religion, but i think people should be more understanding and open minded... you practice you're religion and i practice mine... we can have a friendly debate if both parties agree... you will not force anyone to join you're religion and no one has the right to force you into theirs...

the problem is not with religion, its with people!!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by RizeorDie

I personally don't have a religion or believe in any myself, I do think religion is used all over the world to keep people in order

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by bringthelight

Here is Sam Harris` TED Talk

Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions

And with special consideration for Maddogkull and his slow Dial- Up heres the transcript of the lecture.
TED Talk -Sam Harris - Interactive Transcript

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Interesting theory. I see where hes going, but I don't subscribe to the fact that we can know where a certain practice will lead a particular culture. Say with the burkas, I think its a little arrogant to think that our way of exploiting women on magazine covers will be a better future for mankind. Yeah theres a few nuts out there that burn their wives with battery acid, but our culture has its nuts too, some to the same extreme. For all we know that practice could bring the human race to enlightenment a little faster.

There are so many unexpected things or evolutions that can happen in the future. We have no way of knowing what doing one thing will lead us to.

This concept would make for a very good ATS debate.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
yeah the problem with religion is that religion makes people not think, it makes people a sheep

so, if people dont think, they are used a lot easier by people with power and the intelligence to do it; thats why we have these "wars" happening and no one seems to understand that these wars are completely insane and evil and they have nothing to do with defending your home;

thats why I dont follow any religion; I prefer to find out myself whats best for me and how everything works, since I have a brain, therefore I think and I exist;

the wrong thing is not to believe in a god or gods, the wrong thing is to live your life based on a book that is probably a work of fiction, to live your life based on a book that could never be interpreted by everyone in the same way, but for some reason everyone seems to do that;

everyone should have access to information and everyone should be able to think about things, instead of blindly following any kind of movement;

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Ditching an organisation, an institution, any staple to society will do nothing to
prevent anything. Finger pointing is just another part of the problem. The problems will always be. It is the heart of man that must change.
We point fingers and cast stones with no right to judgement.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Haha, Thanks Umbra

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join