It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Bloop": Could this be the Kraken or even Leviathan?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This is, bar none, one of the most interesting modern anomalies (along with the Wow! signal, in my opinion) and I've spent many hours pondering the origins (as I'm sure most of you have).

In actuality, the Bloop is not alone.

Bloop Wikipedia page, citations 4,5,6 reference the other signals

What really is lurking our deep, deep oceans in which we've barely explored as a species? The answers may be infinite. Deep Sea Gigantism suggests that species living at abyssal depths grow larger, delay sexual maturity, and live longer lives as a response to scarcer food resources, increased pressure, and perhaps the decline in temperature at these depths. However, this is mere speculation as there exist several species that don't exhibit the same characteristics given those guidelines. In essence, we really don't understand why deep sea gigantism occurs. I do, however, severely doubt we've uncovered all the freakishly large species affected by dsg.

Even though it's likely there are systems to reduce the strain of food scarcity in abyssal lifeforms, a species as large as the one that would have uttered the Bloop would still need to consume a colossal amount of food to survive.

posted on Jul, 30 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Very cool, this post. Incredibly creepy to think that there might be something that occupies the deepest depths of the ocean that is vastly bigger than anything we've ever clapped eyes on. Something on the scale of the Cloverfield monster would be terrifying.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Here is a good show that repeatedly refers to the "bloop" numerous times. Not sure how reliable it is, and it is a little out of the ordinary, but it's a really interesting watch.

www.youtube.com
edit on 8/9/2012 by ALOTOFBS because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Really interesting thread, gonna have to look into bloop as it sounds cool. We have mapped most of the land on the planet yet we have only explored less than 10% of the worlds waters, so who knows what we havent found yet. Though if we keep with what we understand abount most large organisms at least a pair or a single creature with the ability to hold young in gestation for extremely long periods would be needed to keep the species going. Then again in general, the larger the animal, the slower the heart rate and therefore the longer the life span so it could be a long surviving creature with a lower need to breed which would explain rare sightings as the population is kept extremely low.

posted on Nov, 19 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Solved?

The broad spectrum sounds recorded in the summer of 1997 are consistent with icequakes generated by large icebergs as they crack and fracture.

Sounds plausible (no pun intended).

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Solved?

The broad spectrum sounds recorded in the summer of 1997 are consistent with icequakes generated by large icebergs as they crack and fracture.

Sounds plausible (no pun intended).

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

well using occams razor, the most logical explanation (icequakes) is the best one.

The ‘Bloop’ mystery solved!

Frequently cited as an “insane mystery science hasn’t solved”, the bloop looks to have a reasonable explanation. Was it a mystery monster squid as most commonly thought? Sadly, no.

First some background in case you haven’t heard about the bloop:

It came from the depths of the South Pacific. Throughout the summer of 1997, a sound never before recorded burst from the abyss. News agencies scrambled; was this some new leviathan, an unknown monster from the deep? Nobody knew, and though this recording has taken its place among the permanent fixtures of the museums of the strange, the Bloop has never been identified.

Until now.

Acoustics Monitoring Program – Icequakes (Bloop).

The broad spectrum sounds recorded in the summer of 1997 are consistent with icequakes generated by large icebergs as they crack and fracture. NOAA hydrophones deployed in the Scotia Sea detected numerous icequakes with spectrograms very similar to “Bloop”.

They have even identified the probable location.

credits: doubtfulnews.com...
edit on 22-11-2012 by Picollo30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Mikemp44

I love "The Bloop". It's given me a whole 'nother reason to stay the F out of the water!
There are also other noises which remain unexplained, like "Upsweep" and "Whistle". We know so little about our oceans that it's just downright scary and fascinating at the same time.

Upsweep Wiki
Whistle Wiki

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
cthulu? is that you? all praise to the ancient ones! who for my sake, i will welcome as our new overlords.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by xiuhtecuhtli

Enormous creatures tend to eat massive quantities of very tiny things.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Icebergs cracking? No way! This is undoubtedly a super massive deep sea creature.

posted on Nov, 22 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Myollinir

you have no idea how right he was.........

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Loving this thread, the sea is so mysterious

I don't get how scientists can spend so much time and money on exploring space and calculating stuff that's billions of miles away when we've barely scratched the surface of discovery on Earth. Let's hope they get more into it, there must be so much strange stuff down at the bottom of the ocean.

Also with people saying they don't know how something as huge as what everyone thinks this creature is can survive and what it eats, well following the theory of how we think everything down there is bigger thank up here maybe it's like a whale and eats a whole lot of something small like krill, except down there it's massive krill

Just a thought

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

I always found it funny that the Bloop was recorded so closely to the locations of the fictional Ryl'yeh.

I still think lovecraft somehow knew that and wanted to mess with us

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming...

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I live just east of Corona, CA. Very much a UFO hotspot. November 2011 I had a couple of different UFO sightings. My first experiences in this realm at the age of 50. One of them was on the 18th, around 6:30PM. Went to leave my house out my backdoor. Looking out over my garage I see a biological entity in the air, maybe a mile away. It was basically the 'canopy' of a Jellyfish. Bioluminescent. With an Orange, Pink and Blue aura or electric charge surrounding it. Wider than a football field. It had a body and tentacles of an Octopus, but a long middle (torso) area. Probably 400 ft long. It was whipping it's tentacles rapidly. It looked to be struggling and trying to gain or regain altitude. It was crazy. So surreal. I dragged my neighbor out of her apartment to witness it. We watched it for almost 10 minutes. I dismissed the thought of taking the time to find a camera as I was sure it would be the top story on every NEWS cast worldwide within an hour (it wasn't). Over 5 years later, have found less than a handful of others that will admit to seeing it. There are videos of similar entities and experiences but not a lot of info available. One thing I read not long ago, and I feel may be true, is that people into Cryptozooligy considered sightings like this one may be a result of the March 2011 Japan Earthquake and Tsunami disrupting sealife in the deepest areas of the Oceans. Causing people to see creatures, driven from where they normally exist, that they have never seen or heard of before. Most likely a modern day Kraken... That or an alien entity.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join