It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homosexuality is a choice and nothing else!

page: 35
<< 32  33  34   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
homosexuality occurs naturally within the animal kingdom, do you think those animals choose to be gay? Thats all I have to say on the matter for now

I don''t believe animals think.

I could be wrong.

But, for an animal, life is more like...sniff...interest...urge...do.

For a human, "thought" interleaves at each step of the way.

So, for man, it's more like ....see...think...sniff...think...interesting...hmmm...think...urge...restraint...think some more..weigh the balance...decide...then ....finally...do.

See?

Man has a much longer process, he's much slower than an animal, he uses judgement to shape his responses, and tailor them to his philosophy of life.

Man has an essential advantage over the animal. He reasons. He thinks, "I have the urge to do this thing, but if I do it, there's such and such a consequence. I also wish to avoid that consequence, so therefore I'll restrain myself from just following my urges like an animal would. I will be human today."

edit on 28-8-2012 by GreatOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
maybe it is, maybe it isn't a choice
or maybe it's a predilection or tendency.

It's certainly been around a long time. Accepted in some cultures. And looked down upon by the ignorant.

One thing about it being a choice, is that it's no one's business but the participants.
Though I cut a little slack for those who are so insecure about their own sexuality, they tend to bring it up, over and over and over again. Self loathing, is that a choice, or genetic?

edit on 29-8-2012 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
My oldest step-son in homosexual. He knew it early in life. His mom knew it early in life. He did not choose to be the way he is. They come wired that way, just like some are wired to be bi-sexual or mental illness. It;s not their choice. Who in their right minds would choose to be, hated, shunned, talked about, mistreated, labeled, abused, and bullied. No they are born the way they are, just as you were born the way you are.

And to say it's a mutation is just going a lil to far. Give em some space and let them be who the hell they were born to be. Bottom line is, their human beings with dreams & aspirations just like the rest of us. Let them be.

When my step-son "came out" when he was 18 and told his dad. His dad took him into the yard and beat the shat out of him, told him he was going to "beat the faggot" out of him. Told my other two step-sons that if you two decide to"come out" I'll beat you to death to make you straight.

One day I will have the pleasure of coming face to face with this man. And at that time, I will address to him an arse whopping the likes he has never ever seen.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by openyourmind1262

When my step-son "came out" when he was 18 and told his dad. His dad took him into the yard and beat the shat out of him, told him he was going to "beat the faggot" out of him.

If someone thinks that being gay is wrong, they should be able to explain why in words. A beating is only necessary when there's no logical reason, and you just want to impose your will. Since this is the age of reason, people aught to share their knowledge of right and wrong with reasoned arguments instead of violence.

If you believe the body is designed specifically for gay love, then explain it the same way straight love is explained.

There is a belief among some scientists that all of our behavior is "predisposition-ed" by our genetic makeup. So, even a thief is born that way. He has "kleptomania" in his genes. A rapist also gets his urges from his genetic makeup, he just needs an adversarial environment to climax, etc..So, perhaps we should understand this, that people are really just born the way they are, and accept everybody for who they are instead of trying to make them be who we want them to be.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreatOwl
There is a belief among some scientists that all of our behavior is "predisposition-ed" by our genetic makeup. So, even a thief is born that way. He has "kleptomania" in his genes. A rapist also gets his urges from his genetic makeup, he just needs an adversarial environment to climax, etc..So, perhaps we should understand this, that people are really just born the way they are, and accept everybody for who they are instead of trying to make them be who we want them to be.
While I agree with your comments on 'pre-disposition', the way you've laid out your post would seem to argue that thieves and rapists should therefore be accepted as well. Not what I think you were trying to express, but watch it become troll-fodder...especially by those who regard gay marriage as “assault on the foundations of our society.”, as voiced by the current GOP election platform.

posted on Aug, 29 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck
While I agree with your comments on 'pre-disposition', the way you've laid out your post would seem to argue that thieves and rapists should therefore be accepted as well.

Well, yes, we already have more acceptance for these others. For example, in the old days, we might cut off the hand of a thief. A cruel an unusual punishment. But, now that psychologists and geneticists have argued that people really have little control over their predispositions, we have "relaxed" our punishments accordingly, and are gradually moving towards total acceptance in all these things that before we thought people could control by "choice".

There are still societies in the world today that continue to cut off the hands of the thief, etc.., but we think of them as backwards, and prehistoric, and those societies tend to have the same hostilities and intolerance towards gays, which the modern societies have overcome. So, we're moving towards accepting everyone regardless of their behavior.

Where else in the world can a man slaughter 77 people, and just get 21 years in prison for that behavior, but a modern society like Norway?

In 100 years from now, that same man would likely get just a slap on the wrist, pay a $50 fine, and told not to repeat it again.

edit on 29-8-2012 by GreatOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by GreatOwl

Hmm. So people doing what they do behind closed doors is the same as perpatrating violence on others in public? How many times in your personal life has a gay person forced themselves on you again?

CJ

posted on Sep, 2 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
reply to post by GreatOwl

Hmm. So people doing what they do behind closed doors is the same as perpatrating violence on others in public?
CJ

Did I say this?

Or, did I say we're more accepting of people's behavior today, regardless of how abhorrent we viewed that behavior yesterday?

Sometimes I'm mystified at what "thoughts" people seem to find which are not written anywhere.

How does this happen?

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ModernAcademia

It is not a physiologically driven directive in the way you are proposing. It is a predetermined neurological hard wiring. The pheromones and chemical attractions experienced by a homosexual person are the same as a heterosexual person, the only difference is in who, gender-wise, they are chemically attracted to neurologically speaking. Their brain operates in the same way everyone else's does, in fact neurologically speaking there is nothing unusual about it at all, it is just that their brain has receptors and the chemical make-up to cause them to develop attraction on a chemical level to the same gender instead of the opposite gender. They are not mutants or abnormal, just diversified in the way that life tends to diversify all aspects of it.

posted on Mar, 22 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: GreatOwl
Or, did I say we're more accepting of people's behavior today, regardless of how abhorrent we viewed that behavior yesterday?

If you are 100% straight, then there is going to be a 'yuck factor' created by the concept of gay sex. And you know what? That's ok. I cringe at seeing two guys kiss...but that's on me. That's hard wired. But folks are much more than their sex lives, and to reduce someone's humanity to what they do with their naughty bits is ignorant at best...and suspect at its worst.

And what some might consider 'tolerance of 'abhorrent behavior', others consider 'growing up'.

top topics

<< 32  33  34   >>

join