It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook 'linked to rise in syphilis'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Facebook 'linked to rise in syphilis'

www.telegraph.co.uk

The virus has increased fourfold in Sunderland, Durham and Teesside, the areas of Britain where Facebook is most popular, because it has given people a new way to meet multiple partners for casual sexual encounters.

Professor Peter Kelly, director of public health in Teesside, said staff had found a link between social networking sites and the rise in cases, especially among young women.

"Social networking sites are making it easier for people to meet up for casual sex."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
So now your PC is the cause of you getting VD. This has to be one of the stupidest things I have seen in a while and that says a lot.

Exactly how does Facebook cause you not to take proper measures when having sex? Are we to believe that folks who meet someone on-line and then have sex somehow more likely to use protection were they to meet them some other way?

Clearly there is no casual relationship between the two.

Coming next is a tax on Facebook usage afterall, VD costs money to treat and therefore it should be discouraged.

www.telegraph.co.uk

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Ok if I follow that logic, do I get AIDS by having a AdultFriendFinder account ?

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Yeah i have had to scare a few guys away from talking to my girlfriend. It really, really, gets to me. Thinking about it makes me angry. Well, not for the willing, but when they do it to someone who is clearly in a relationship, as it states.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

"Social networking sites are making it easier for people to meet up for casual sex."

This is VERY great news

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
thanks for the heads up
I will immediately go delete my account
with them and contact my lawyer
and doctor, well maybe not in that order,
lmao

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
Yeah i have had to scare a few guys away from talking to my girlfriend. It really, really, gets to me. Thinking about it makes me angry. Well, not for the willing, but when they do it to someone who is clearly in a relationship, as it states.

If you got the skills, take'em offline! Thats what my friend Nykki does
Just use skills like that when the time is right. The cyber hand can be a strong tool in todays world.

[edit on 24-3-2010 by QuantumDeath]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Not to be rude or offend, but really, isn't it up to your girlfriend who she talks to online? Or at least up to her to say 'sorry guys im taken' I'd be really offended if my partner went around me and told people off for talking to me without getting the chance to myself. Just like i wouldn't to him without talking it through first.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
This has to be one of the stupidest things I have seen in a while and that says a lot.

Why? All it's claiming is that Facebook and other social networking sites give people a new way to meet others and make it easier to meet others. It's not claiming it causes you to use unsafe sex practices or causes you to contract diseases.

I don't know why you people feel the need to flip out over everything that is said in the media. Unless you can somehow prove that Facebook and other social networking sites do not make it easier for people to meet others for sex, then I am really not sure what the hell you're challenging here.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
They might as well come out and say what they really mean....sexual intercourse between people is leading to an increase in sexual intercourse.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
So, it's facebook's fault and not the people neglecting to participate in safe sex?

Well, that just makes tons of sense.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by TokiTheDestroyer
So, it's facebook's fault and not the people neglecting to participate in safe sex?

Well, that just makes tons of sense.

I do not see anywhere that it states the facebook is at fault. It says it is linked as in being a new avenue through which there people are meeting. It does not say anything about blaming facebook or faulting facebook for a rise in an STD. People really do hate reading anything past or including the entire title around here eh?

[edit on 25-3-2010 by K J Gunderson]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
You could just as well blame Craig's List and MySpace too.

silly.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Waves lapping against the shoreline is also linked to syphilis.

It turns out that the more times waves lap against the shore the more chance there is that someone who previously didn't have syphilis may get it.

It's a direct correlation and everything - seriously check it out!

-m0r

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
Waves lapping against the shoreline is also linked to syphilis.

It turns out that the more times waves lap against the shore the more chance there is that someone who previously didn't have syphilis may get it.

It's a direct correlation and everything - seriously check it out!

-m0r

In order for that to correlate, you have to prove that there is more syphilis where there is more water. Please read the article. I would love to see just one response that actually read the article.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

No, as time goes back the cases, that have ever existed, of syphilis increases.

Take waves lapping against the shore and be imaginative with it (clue: Time passing indicator).

As for your article - yup - I'd already read it - thanks for second guessing me on it though; catchy paper selling title, flawed evidence "I saw that several of the people had met sexual partners through these sites." - not a majority, or even a figure - nope, just several. Boring fear mongering diatribe that allows middle England to keep their half-penny between their knees instead of looking at the ever increasing cases of teenage pregnancy, drug and alcohol abuse and violence that is permeating female youth culture these days.

I'd go so far as to say anyone who considered this post-worthy should perhaps take some time away from the net and re-prioritise what they consider to be relevant to sharing.

Thanks for reading!

-m0r

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
The name "facebook" always gave me nausea when hearing it or reading it, it was expected for them to be associated with some diseases

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
reply to post by K J Gunderson

No, as time goes back the cases, that have ever existed, of syphilis increases.

Take waves lapping against the shore and be imaginative with it (clue: Time passing indicator).

As for your article - yup - I'd already read it - thanks for second guessing me on it though; catchy paper selling title, flawed evidence "I saw that several of the people had met sexual partners through these sites." - not a majority, or even a figure - nope, just several. Boring fear mongering diatribe that allows middle England to keep their half-penny between their knees instead of looking at the ever increasing cases of teenage pregnancy, drug and alcohol abuse and violence that is permeating female youth culture these days.

I'd go so far as to say anyone who considered this post-worthy should perhaps take some time away from the net and re-prioritise what they consider to be relevant to sharing.

Thanks for reading!

-m0r

You completely missed the point and you logic is way off. What you are doing is comparing an increase over time to and increase linked with an increase.

Over time, Syphilis has gone up and waves have lapped. Sure.

That is not what the article says. It says in places with MORE FACEBOOK USERS Syphilis has gone up.

Get it?

That would mean that your analogy would be that in places where people use more waves, there is more syphilis. This is not about an increase over time at all.

You may have read the article but you obviously did not understand it because your comparison is a completely different scheme. There is no comparison. You are comparing apples and kittens. The article also does not state that facebook usage is the reason for the increase. It just points out that where a lot of people are using facebook, there is also a lot of syphilis. It is just pointing out an interesting set of data.

Why you think it is placing blame or doing a time/event comparison makes no sense if you actually did read and understand the article.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Okay let's do this in a simpler fashion...

Here comes the choo-choo with the information that you brain will digest...choo-choo! Chug-a-chug chug, chug-a-chug chug, time to open up the tunnel door, that's right, choo-choo!

So people having sex can = syphilis.

More people communicating with others that they wish to have sex can = more syphilis + more people.

If given an infinite number of years there could be infinite people with syphilis.

Gotcha.

So people trading with other people, sending news to far off lands, sharing stories with each other, helping each other with basic needs, pretty much just communicating with each other = syphilis.

Facebook, akin to women now being allowed into public houses in Britain, joining a membership to a gym etc. or men buying designer clothing, liking the latest fashions etc., makes people meet and share stories - ergo have a chance of having it off with each other, ergo having a higher chance of catching and passing on an STD.

So not a real story here. Facebook = another way to communicate.

Next up from the Daily Telegraph; Facebook could be used to ostracise someone from a group (just like being told you suck at something does)!!

It's a lame story only looking to get attention (which by the way is another precursor to communicating and/or syphilis).

Now chew.

-m0r

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

But, I thought only the gays spread STDs and had casual sex?

At least that's what I hear on here on a daily basis.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join