It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transportation Is A Basic Human Right

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Given that everyone needs a car to get to work, I am proposing that government create a program to ensure every American has a car.

For example:

Say I am a 45 year old man with no vehicle and no job. How am I supposed to get a job without a vehicle? Clearly this is impossible, thus requiring government intervention.

In order to pay for this vehicle, I think the proper course of action is to have the government put a gun to your children's heads and force them to work for my car payment.

While this may sound a tad extreme, its clear that by forcing your children to work for my car payment society will be better off in the end.

I will become a productive working member of society by having a car, and thus I will be able to contribute taxes back into the economy.

-- OK OK so putting a gun to JUST your children's heads might be a tad extreme. I have one other option available that would also work.

The government could simply print up treasury bills and sell the debt to the Fed or to China. This way our currency is debased and we ALL pay for my car equally at gun point. Since it wouldn't be fair to just loot your kids, I propose looting all of us equally by debasing the currency.

This is a much simpler option as all it requires is a virtual printing press.

Government prints money (debt), you pay for it, I profit.

Perfect.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
For example:

Say I am a 45 year old man with no vehicle and no job. How am I supposed to get a job without a vehicle? Clearly this is impossible, thus requiring government intervention.

I made a personal choice many years ago to not EVER get a car or vehicle.
It was all the people who said YOU HAVE to in order to survive.YOU CAN"T live without one.
That is such BS.
Out of spite I have a racing bike.
I have a great job and don't own a car.
I have done 170km rides just for fun...85 to 90kms there and 85 to 90kms back.I can get anywhere I need to and don't have a car.
The idea that one NEEDS a car is an illusion and I am living proof.
I am also alot more fit then most I know.

I doubt most people here could bike 50kms if their life depended on it.

I highly disagree with your post.

Edit...I did have a motorcycle once for a trip I had to take but when I got home it collected dust so I sold it as I found it useless to have when I prefer to cycle everywhere.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by DrumsRfun]

[edit on 23-3-2010 by DrumsRfun]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

I have to agree. As citizens of the United States we are are born with the right to pursue happiness. However you don't need a job. We are now granting "rights" based upon not having jobs.
I am not sure about the rest of you, but now that we are granting "rights" to everyone which started with Social Security, Food Stamps, Welfare, etc, I should not need a job.
The government should grant all of us the right to pursue hapiness as we once had when the Constitution was written.
What would make me happy is a 4 bedroom house with approx 2800sf with 2 bed rooms, 2.5 baths, 2 car garage with a BMW crossover and a F-150 quad cab 4x4 parked in it. I need an ingound pool with waterfall, jacuzzi, pool house and sauna to the side. Seeing how how much space this will take I also need this to sit on at least 5 acres of land. However the neighborhood with the free government schools I need to be in to truely make me happy has appox 15-20 houses sitting on the 5 acres. I need to claim eminent domain and have these houses removed and the people relocated somewhere else that makes them happy. Just remember folks it's all about what I want right now and am not willing to put forth any effort or capital to achieve my goal. Work does not make me happy.
The extra land will be needed for me to raise chickens, rabbits, 2 goats, 2 cows and 1 bull and 4 horses. Damn think I need 15 acres now, because I need a barn to house all of the hay and other food that will be entitled to me to feed my livestock and also a tack room fully stcoked for my horses. I am close to being happy, but I also need a tractor with plow attachment so I can plow a garden large enough to feed my family for a year. This will truely make me happy. Throw in gas credits for my vehicles as I will be riding my horses mostly for short trips to town to pick up my seed entitlements at the local farm and yard store.
If I could just get these things, I should have enough extra food to trade for small things like laundry soap, etc. Oh yes I almost forgot that to pursue happiness I would need a well and septic tank installed on my land for my house. However, since people want to control what happens on my land, I guess I will need a free hookup to water and sewer.
Don't foget my free movie passes for entertainment once a week along with a coupon for a free pizza and 2 games of bowling. This way I can support my local businesses. They should be able to use the coupons as a tax credit. I am sure that is worth a lot more than having actual money.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Okay, say transportation is a basic human right. Walking is a mode of transportation, the oldest mode of transportation. Start walking and your basic human right is intact.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by vtcajun

Sir, its clear that the in-ground pool with waterfall is a tad much.

I think you should only be entitled to an above ground pool with waterfall.

However, lighting and heater equipment should be included.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Yup your right, it's a human right.

Which is why we all have legs.

Public Transportation is available even in the smallest of cities.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

~Keeper

Public transportation still costs me money.

This is unacceptable.

I have no job - and it deprives me of my happiness by forcing me to stand out in the rain at bus stops.

Totally ridiculous.

The constitution clearly says I am entitled to a new car.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Not having a personal car is not healthy. If it is raining I could catch a cold walking. If the crappy public transportation is not available when I need it I could get stressed and that is not healthy. I need a free car!

Not having warm clothing is not healthy. I need free clothing!

Not having a house is not healthy. If I live outside I am likely to catch a cold or some other disease. I need a free house!

Not eating is not healthy. I need free food!

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

~Keeper

Public transportation still costs me money.

This is unacceptable.

I have no job - and it deprives me of my happiness by forcing me to stand out in the rain at bus stops.

Totally ridiculous.

The constitution clearly says I am entitled to a new car.

Well since cars didn't exist when they wrote it, I highly doubt you are entitled to a LUXURY under the constitution.

There are literally thousands of jobs that you could have that could bring it some income. Apply at McDonalds.

Sure it's minimum wage but it's a job. Some money is better than none.

I broke my back in University working 2 jobs just to pay my tuition and walked miles to get from one to the other.

People need to take responsibility for their actions.

Stop relying on the government for your happiness and make your own.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Well since cars didn't exist when they wrote it, I highly doubt you are entitled to a LUXURY under the constitution.

There are literally thousands of jobs that you could have that could bring it some income. Apply at McDonalds.

Sure it's minimum wage but it's a job. Some money is better than none.

I broke my back in University working 2 jobs just to pay my tuition and walked miles to get from one to the other.

People need to take responsibility for their actions.

Stop relying on the government for your happiness and make your own.

~Keeper

LOL - rely on myself?

Are you crazy?

The entire purpose of government is to make it so I don't have to rely on myself.

I can rely on you instead.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

I see the point your trying to make here friend.

If you think that you are entitled to transportation provided by the government, that means you are also willing to pay more taxes to fund everybody elses, "entitled" luxuries under the same constitution right?

If not then your desires are hypocrital and you just want something at the expense of others..

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I see the point your trying to make here friend.

If you think that you are entitled to transportation provided by the government, that means you are also willing to pay more taxes to fund everybody elses, "entitled" luxuries under the same constitution right?

If not then your desires are hypocrital and you just want something at the expense of others..

~Keeper

No no no, I don't want to pay more taxes.

I'm simply entitled to more benefits.

The government has a printing press and can make us all rich.

Lets not be ridiculous here.

Wealth comes from a printing press.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Lets not be ridiculous here.

Yes lets not.
Driving is a privledge and not a right.
Relying on your government to get you transportation is a copout and half of whats wrong with society.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Your clever, I get the sarcasm.

In a sense your right, but your arguing fantasy here.

There's no way they would ever use that for the correct purposes.

Even if they did you do understand that they can't make you "rich" right? The more money they print the less it's worth.

So your ideal is completely flawed in that purpose. It would completely destroy the economy and then you'd be out of a job, a house and a car.

So would your entire country.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Yes lets not.
Driving is a privledge and not a right.
Relying on your government to get you transportation is a copout and half of whats wrong with society.

Driving is a right, not a privilege.

However, owning a car is also a right, as is owning a two story beach front condo. You work, I profit. Its clear this is the best way to uplift society.

Lets break this down step by step:

1. I am more important AND smarter than you are.

2. Since I am smarter and more important, I know how to spend your money better than you do.

3. By taking your money and buying myself a car with it, since I am smarter and more important, its clear that ME having a car is MORE important than you keeping your money.

4. Because I now have a car at your expense, society will now be better off as a whole.

This logic is irrefutable.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
There should be only be one basic human right, and that is to not impede a person from getting off their asses and doing something with their lives. This would be basic freedom, and if the person does do a damn thing then they reap what they sow, which would be nothing, in perfect freedom.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Well I want to be a Princess, and live in a bea-u-ti-ful Castle and eat bon bons all day...

Where is my right?

Oh and a pony too!

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

There should be only be one basic human right, and that is to not impede a person from getting off their asses and doing something with their lives. This would be basic freedom, and if the person does do a damn thing then they reap what they sow, which would be nothing, in perfect freedom.

Sir, what about starving mothers with 30 kids in public housing?

Isn't it our duty as good citizens to pay for her 30 kids food, clothing, housing, medical care, schooling, transportation, and all other aspects of their life?

Think of the children!

How is my wife supposed to get by on my McDonalds wages when we pump out 400 kids a year?

Her uterus is like the DMV. Clearly YOU must pay for my 5000 children.

[edit on 23-3-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

FOCUS PEOPLE!

No not pay for those 30 kids.. we have switched our focus to Princess life!

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justaposter

FOCUS PEOPLE!

No not pay for those 30 kids.. we have switched our focus to Princess life!

My idea:

Set the minimum wage to 1,000,000 dollars a hour.

We could all be millionaires overnight.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join