It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland's eruptions could have global consequences

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Im from Iceland, and we are not scared in general what is happening here. If everything goes crazy, then mother earth is talking and we respect that.

I think people and britain and holland, should be careful with us, or we just talk to the mountains to help us.
We belive in fairys, and often we communicate with them who live in the stones and mountains. They like to help us, and give us advice, and say us listen to the wind, what is coming.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Just occurred to me. ...Is this payback for Iceland telling the global financiers to shove it?

Iceland Rejects Icesave Depositors Bill

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
And yes there is something big coming, like many people here have been dreaming about, and sensed something in the earth here.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by therookie

Thanks very much for your post and humour

I hope it stays ok, but there is a chance of a following eruption at Katla.
Wishing you all safe and well. Great fireworks too some of the pics are amazing National Geographic Pics of Eruption

Do you think the little people-fairies were upset at the big dam project in Iceland?

The structure is of the concrete-faced rock fill dam (CFRD) type, and when complete will be the highest of its kind in Europe and among the highest in the world

The Kárahnjúkar Hydropower Projec
Merging of the two rivers there.

Infact maybe there is a link between this massive work, and the eruptions. Objections were raised due to the nature of such engineering on the Mid Atlantic Ridge as such.

That trying to put 57km2 of water on such an area and rock, the weight would affect the local crust.

But hey as usual big business is involved, and the icelanders wont even get any electricity!

yep:

The number of jobs the project will create
is estimated at 400 direct and an additional 500
indirect jobs. The total investment by the government
in the hydropower scheme amounts to at least 1.1
billion Euro, or over 1 million Euro per job created.
This corresponds to 3000 Euro of tax money per
citizen of Iceland.
The electricity generated by the scheme has no
domestic use. Alcoa, the company that will run the
smelter has agreed to buy electricity for the next 40
years. Independent research suggests that if interest
rates increase, the price of aluminium falls, and the
króna remains strong (all of which are projected), the
project will lose over 20 million Euro a year. In this
case the country will be effectively subsidising Alcoa
with a huge overseas debt.

These guys Saving Iceland state here:

Today at the annual general meeting of the Icelandic Glaciological Society the geophysicist Páll Einarsson confirmed that a volcanic eruption is imminent in one or two years time in Upptyppingar near Askja. He said this was a direct result of the inundation of Kárahnjúkar. He also claimed that the earthquakes that had started in February, ceased temporarily when the inundation was halted, but as soon as it was continued the tremors began again. The water in Halslon weighs two billion tons now and over 4000 earthquakes have been recorded since February.
Einarsson added that it was a mystery why the effects of the inundation were felt 20 kilometers away from Karahnjukar, instead of in the immediate vicinity of the dams.

He finally said that the eruption will probably last for many decades, even for many centuries.

So that is interesting Alcoa doing this and the scam to.

Would be really really interested in any info thanks!

Jakobsdóttir said a longer fissure doesn’t necessarily produce more ash and it should not be assumed that the neighboring volcano Katla will erupt in direct continuation of the current eruption, although there is a certain connection between eruptions in the two volcanoes.

Björn Gunnarsson of the Air Ground Rescue Team of Reykjavík (FBSR) told mbl.is that lava is now flowing down the Hvannárgil canyon. He and his team flew around the eruption zone at noon.

The FBSR team was the first observe the eruption from air today.
ICEland Review

So maybe as this event is in a place not having activity for 10,000 years, it wont trigger Katla as the relationship between them is poorly defined. Usually when the current one erupts it does so in a different part of the Caldera.

reply to post by soficrow

Sofi boo and lol visions of a white cat being stroked in an underground complex did come to mind "Dr NoIce"

Kind Regards,

Elf
elfedit to fix link add savingiceland and readability

[edit on 22-3-2010 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Its always fun, to have a little joke.

Im reading in icelandic news, with gps (they track around these area( they are still reading big movements in the earth. So no one, really know what is going on right now. There could be more quake coming from different places, and also there is still more power in this outbreak.

I know a guy who had a dream when he was a young boy. There was fire and lava all around him in one house in Reykjavík. Today he live in this house, and he expect this dream will come true, like many other dreams.

Also i heard another story about a man, who had a dream 40 years ago. what is happening today here in Iceland, about the crysis and the volcano eroptuion. In this dream he said, the chain of the world would go off.

Sorry how my english is

[edit on 22-3-2010 by therookie]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by therookie
Its always fun, to have a little joke.

Im reading in icelandic news, with gps (they track around these area( they are still reading big movements in the earth. So no one, really know what is going on right now. There could be more quake coming from different places, and also there is still more power in this outbreak.

I know a guy who had a dream when he was a young boy. There was fire and lava all around him in one house in Reykjavík. Today he live in this house, and he expect this dream will come true, like many other dreams.

Also i heard another story about a man, who had a dream 40 years ago. what is happening today here in Iceland, about the crysis and the volcano eroptuion. In this dream he said, the chain of the world would go off.

Sorry how my english is

Your English is better than many of the native english speaking members of ATS

The dreams are interesting, hope they were just symbolic not precognitive.

Please post keep us updated on whats going on there, that would be wonderfull!

Thanks!

Elf

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by MischeviousElf
reply to post by therookie

Sofi boo and lol visions of a white cat being stroked in an underground complex did come to mind "Dr NoIce"

Kind Regards,

Elf

???

Don't understand your remarks and references.

Are you suggesting I am NOT soficrow, but actually a Dr NoIce?

FYI - I am soficrow - the original. And I've never found it necessary to hide behind any other identity for any purpose.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Considering all of humanities crimes against nature, and all that bad karma surrounding the human species these days, I'd say it's about time mother nature did something with the lot of them.

I agree. It seems like with all the damage we have done this planet, and how we have treated it like a disposable diaper, mother earth is trying to shake us off like a dog shakes off fleas. The problem is WE REALLY DON"T GET IT and even in the midst of this, anti environmentalism voices and interests are stronger than ever. Get ready fleas! You are n for one rude A-shakening on every front.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by whatsup]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Hey no sofi lol, a while since crossed on boards, just the Alcoa link, and like the Bond 007 Character, Dr No sitting in his bunker with the persian cat, Dr Evil mini me lol.
Mad crazy world domination from alcoa, the world will be held to ransome by him, or he will put more water in the dam!

On a serious note though 3 volcanoes if you look at some links and data might be playing up, so its an tense few days inmho.

Just Fireworks this time im sure.

Elf

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Is this payback for Iceland telling the global financiers to shove it?

I think you might be on to something... that is exactly my first thought upon seeing the title of this thread.

First Haiti earthquake, which many speculate has since been seized upon by western oil interests... like the Rockefeller/NWO perhaps...

Then Chili was hit, which David Wilcock brought my attention to this article: South America to create new EU-type bloc to defy US

And now Iceland... the flagship for 'sticking it to the man'...

Hmmm...I must just be going crazy again.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by beebs]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by beebs

I do think we're moving into a cycle of geophysical instability - and fear the world's power/money-hungry greedy folk are ready and able to speed/worsen the process.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by beebs

If your theory it right, then China's next for "Banning Google"

Hope its wrong and were all safe.

[edit on 22/3/2010 by who-me?]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
first i knew of this, ill keep an eye on this thread. Can anyone provide the 2012 movie clip to iceland as i don't remember seeing that part.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:04 AM
link   
How dare the people of Iceland defy the ptb. Don't they know that haarp can wipie them off the face of the earth and usher in a global winter for all of us. Kiding aside, somebody somewhere somehow has got to do something to reign in haarp. Handing haarp over to the Nazis was not a wise move.
Chemtrails are also taking a toll on our health.

Originally posted by who-me?
reply to post by beebs

If your theory it right, then China's next for "Banning Google"

Hope its wrong and were all safe.

Actually China was already hit for threatening defiance on monetary policy resulting in the May '08 earthquake that killed 80,000. [which is still not as much as poor Haiti seems to be suffering, although Haiti's quake wasn't felt in Dominican Republic] [Haiti seems to be experiencing the result of trained goons let lose, maybe that's why relief efforts were delayed, so Uncle Sam could move in his terrorists before foreign relief workers could observe them.]

[edit on 23-3-2010 by m khan]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Volcanoes are the 2nd of the 6 seals...the 1st of which was a huge earthquake...just sayin'

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I found this LINK which seems to be frequently updated on the events. There seems to be some concern it'll amass to something worse since the eruptions are taking place close to the volcano Katla. They also mention potential risks of flooding. This eruption was linked together with the earthquake swarm Elf posted about on page 1 according to the RSOE

Quoting from above link "Former reporter at RÚV Ómar Ragnarsson, who has covered and photographed 21 eruptions in his career, including the current eruption in Eyjafjallajökull, describes it as a “small and shy fire column dance."

While they mention the 1758-1783 eruptions it doesn't seem they think it'll be anything as big. Guess it doesn't hurt watching this weeks weather reports on how the winds are blowing huh..

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I'm from Iceland as well, seems we aren't as concerned as the rest of the world about this eruption. We have been having lots of earthquakes for the last couple of months , this was to be expected.

We'll see if it gets really serious.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
While doing a little research on this Volcano i found this.
Except for Pinatubo we have no had a major volcanic eruption in 98 years.
between 1883 and 1912 just a 29 year period there were 4
Now the AGW people claim global warming started around 90 years ago.

I say that because of the active volcanoes between 1883 and 1912 we had a major global cooling.
They ejected over 56+ cubic kilometers of material into the air.
Then because of the lack of major volcanic action with the exception of Pinatubo since 1912 the world is now warming back to normal.
Pinatubo only ejected 6 to 16 cubic kilometers a small amount for a major volcano.

Since 1000 AD

* Pinatubo, island of Luzon, Philippines; 1991, Jun 15; VEI 6; 6 to 16 cubic kilometers (1.4 to 3.8 cu mi) of tephra;[5] an estimated 20 million tons of sulfur dioxide were emitted[1]
* Novarupta, Alaska Peninsula; 1912, Jun 6; VEI 6; 13 to 15 cubic kilometers (3.1 to 3.6 cu mi) of lava[6][7][8]
* Santa Maria, Guatemala; 1902, Oct 24; VEI 6; 20 cubic kilometres (4.8 cu mi) of tephra[9]
* Mount Tarawera, Taupo Volcanic Zone, New Zealand; 1886, Jun 10; VEI 5; 2 cubic kilometres (0.48 cu mi) of tephra[5]
* Krakatoa, Indonesia; 1883, August 26–27; VEI 6; 21 cubic kilometres (5.0 cu mi) of tephra[10]
* Mount Tambora, Lesser Sunda Islands, Indonesia; 1815, Apr 10; VEI 7; 150 cubic kilometres (36 cu mi) of tephra[5]; an estimated 200 million tons of sulfur dioxide were emitted, produced the "Year Without a Summer"[11]
* Grimsvotn, Northeastern Iceland; 1783-1785; Laki; 1783-1784; VEI 6; 14 cubic kilometers of lava, an estimated 120 million tons of sulfur dioxide were emitted, produced a Volcanic winter, 1783, on the North Hemisphere.[12]
* Long Island (Papua New Guinea), Northeast of New Guinea; 1660 ±20; VEI 6; 30 cubic kilometers (7.2 cu mi) of tephra[5]
* Kolumbo, Santorini, Greece; 1650, Sep 27; VEI 6; 60 cubic kilometers (14.4 cu mi) of tephra[13]
* Huaynaputina, Peru; 1600, Feb 19; VEI 6; 30 cubic kilometres (7.2 cu mi) of tephra[14]
* Billy Mitchell, Bougainville Island, Papua New Guinea; 1580 ±20; VEI 6; 14 cubic kilometres (3.4 cu mi) of tephra[5]
* Bardarbunga, Northeastern Iceland; 1477; VEI 6; 10 cubic kilometres (2.4 cu mi) of tephra[5]
* 1452-53 ice core event, New Hebrides arc, Vanuatu; location of this eruption in the South Pacific is uncertain; only pyroclastic flows are found at Kuwae; 36 to 96 cubic kilometers (8.6 to 23.0 cu mi) of tephra; 175-700 million tons of sulfuric acid[15][16][17]
* Mount Tarawera, Taupo Volcanic Zone, New Zealand; 1310 ±12; VEI 5; 5 cubic kilometres (1.2 cu mi) of tephra (Kaharoa eruption)[5]
* Quilotoa, Ecuador; 1280(?); VEI 6; 21 cubic kilometres (5.0 cu mi) of tephra[5]
* 1258 ice core event, tropics; 200 to 800 cubic kilometers (48.0 to 191.9 cu mi) of tephra[18]

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 23-3-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
What an interesting topic,I found this article on the subject:

Research by a British academic has demonstrated how a volcanic gas cloud emanating from an Icelandic volcano killed 30,000 Britons in a hitherto little-studied environmental disaster two centuries ago.
"People died in such vast numbers because the volcanic cloud exacerbated their respiratory illnesses," said Dr John Grattan, a senior lecturer at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth, who has been studying the impact on Britain of the eruption of Iceland's Laki volcano in 1783. According to the new research, most victims in Britain died from heart and lung problems caused by the gas and fine dust from the cloud and from associated hot climatic conditions causing additional health problems.
"A similar eruption today would kill up to 100,000 people in this country because we now have a much larger population and a much bigger percentage of it is elderly and therefore more vulnerable," said Dr Grattan. Iceland poses a particular threat not only because it is relatively near to the UK, but also several of its volcanoes are of a particularly dangerous type because of the vast quantities of atmospheric pollution they can produce. Iceland has the world's highest number of so-called fissure volcanoes. Unlike ordinary volcanoes, these erupt when vast cracks, sometimes up to 35 miles long, open up in the ground. Icelandic fissure volcanoes can erupt continuously for more than five years.

www.independent.co.uk...

Sounds potentially nasty indeed.
Lets just hope this isn't the start of more volcanic activity in the area,specifically that this volcano does not help to kick start the "siberian traps."

How could the Siberian Traps cause global mass destuction? The immeadiate area would be affected by such things as lava and pyrocastic flows but how does this affect the other side of the world? The real power of the Siberian Traps was the climate altering potential by the emission of ash and gases.
The Siberian Traps is recognised as having a large proportion of pyroclastic deposits relative to other flood basalts. This indicates an explosive nature with much ash and gases being pumped into the atmosphere. All of this ash and gas has two main effects that, even though they are opposite to each other, act on differing timescales.
Initially sulfur aerosols and volcanic ash envelop the earths atmosphere blocking out sunlight and sending surface temperatures plunging . Ash and sulphur aerosols can remain in the upper atmosphere for 100's to 1000's of years which would be enough to cause a significant glaciation. At the end of the Permian period the biggest ever drop in sea level in history occurred. Two scientists named Holser and Magaritz in 1987 proposed that such a marine regression could be caused by a large scale glaciation.
The second major effect is the emission of greenhouse gases such as CO2, methane and also water vapour. Green house gases warm the climate by allowing sunlight to pass through, heat reflected by the Earth itself cannot penetrate the atmosphere so is retained. Greenhouse gases stay in the atmosphere much longer so their climate changing effects can last for millions of years.

palaeo.gly.bris.ac.uk...

Now that could be nasty.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
I'm from Holland and I sure do not like the sound of this. I'll be keeping an eye on this bad boy.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join