It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iceland Rejects Icesave Depositors Bill in Referendum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Iceland Rejects Icesave Depositors Bill in Referendum

www.businessweek.com

Icelanders rejected by a massive majority a bill that would saddle each citizen with $16,400 of debt in protest at U.K. and Dutch demands that they cover losses triggered by the failure of a private bank.

...The nation’s three biggest banks, which were placed under state control in October 2008, had enjoyed a decade of market freedoms following the government’s privatizations through the end of the 1990s and the beginning of this decade.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Iceland's Voters About to Tell Global Banksters to Shove It
Icelanders Appear Likely to Reject $5.3 Billion Deal
Corporate America's Love Affair with Fascism

[edit on 7-3-2010 by soficrow]

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
GO Iceland!

Why on earth would ANYONE expect individual citizens to shoulder a private bank's debt?!?

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Now, Iceland's credit rating is "junk." So what? The World Bank, IMF et al are not groups one should try hard to impress. Given that they're fronts for the corporate NWO.

Iceland's referendum is a blow to Corporate Fascism aka corporatism. Hopefully more nations will take note and follow suit.

www.businessweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Thanks for the info, Aww happy Sundays, Love em

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
You're welcome.

...I vaguely remember news about Iceland going to an all woman parliament a few years ago - but haven't been able to find the info. Do I have the wrong country? Anyone know?

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Now, Iceland's credit rating is "junk." So what?

It is becoming more and more apparent that the more ones credit becomes "junk" the easier it is to actually sit back relax and enjoy life truly being free from the credit game that one can not win.

Iceland I respect.

posted on Mar, 7 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The interesting part from the BBC article...

The will of the people denied :

With a third of votes counted, 93% of Icelanders have voted "No", less than 2% back the deal, and the remaining votes are invalid.

Mrs Sigurdardottir said that her government would stay in office, despite the "No" results.

"This has no impact on the life of the government," she said.

"Now we need to get on with the task in front of us, namely to finish the negotiations with the Dutch and the British."

No impact on the life of the government...we will stay in office... we'll still negociate with the british and dutch...

Yeah rejecting the will of the people... Icelanders better storm the government buildings if a deal passes and Icelanders are forced to pay for this fraud.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I think you misread the article vitchilo.

The "No" was against the bailout - and in support of government.

When Prime Minister Sigurdardottir said that her government would stay in office, despite the "No" results, she was referring to the fact that Iceland is now pretty much taking on the mainstream world economy - the British, Dutch, IMF, World Bank, et al.

Yeah Iceland, I say. Go Iceland.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Okay. We all know the technology exists to trigger earthquakes and volcanoes.

Now, there's been an eruption in Iceland and pundits say there's worse to come. Much worse.

Is it payback?

Iceland's eruptions could have global consequences

join