It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now you are FORCED to buy health insurance, what will you eliminate to afford it?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

Originally posted by SantaClaus
Hospitals are REQUIRED to treat you whether you are insured or not.

Really says who? Tell that to Cape Canaveral Hospital who TURNED me away because I had no insurance. I was having a huge allergic reaction to a dog where my face was swollen and I was having trouble breathing. Yeah they really helped me. As soon as they took my blood pressure and temperature they asked for my insurance and I told them I didnt have any and they said they couldnt see me UNLESS I paid a fee of 300 dollars UP FRONT.

If true, you could be rich on the settlement you would get for a lawsuit. Of course, you are obviously still alive so perhaps it wasn't considered life-threatening and didn't warrant an emergency room visit.

Federal law gives you the right to emergency care, regardless of your ability to pay. Here are the details on how you should be handled at the hospital.

Fortunately, a federal law passed in 1986 to prohibit a practice commonly known as "patient dumping" gives you the right to emergency care regardless of your ability to pay. The federal law applies to hospitals that participate in Medicare -- and that includes most hospitals in the United States.

In a nutshell, the federal patient-dumping law entitles you to three things: screening, emergency care and appropriate transfers. A hospital must provide "stabilizing care" for a patient with an emergency medical condition. The hospital must screen for the emergency and provide the care without inquiring about your ability to pay.

Link: articles.moneycentral.msn.com...

It would be helpful if people actually knew the laws of this country before trying to discuss how terrible they are.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by mkross1983
So, just so I understand. You are ok with the government going against the majority of Americans who did not want this to pass but they passed it anyway. So you are ok with America being a dictatorship now?

I think "majority" is a bad term...depends on what your source is.

Dictatorship? Oh please....

Nonetheless, sometimes we must forego what is popular in order to do what is right.

Define majority for me then.

Do you deny that a government going against the will of it's people is a dictatorship?

The right thing to do is honor the rights and freedoms of the American people and the constitution.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Good question. My family already pays extremely high premiums (like most families) and have extremely high deductibles so I am hopeful this won't have a large net difference in the amount we pay. My biggest fear is that now that the government will determine what is "acceptable" and will dictate what services will be available to patients is that the level of our healthcare (which is excellent even though it is costly) will decline even though we likely will save no money--and quite possibly will pay even more for this "free" healthcare. If we do have to cut back we will make the types of cuts that will affect our quality of life the least--less travel, less eating out, and few big-item purchases like vehicles. Luckily we have always lived within our means and can make cuts when needed.

Americans need to wake up and realize NOTHING is free. This free healthcare will be paid for by the American people in the form of higher taxes and those who love to shove the taxes off on the "rich" will be disappointed when the lower, middle, middle-upper classes are saddled with higher income tax rates, luxury taxes when you buy cars and expensive items, and likely in the end, when there is no other way to pay for it, a national sales tax.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
There really needs to be consequences for all the nonsense people pass off as truth. Always seems to be the same people, going from issue to issue, saying things that are eventually found to be media fabrications. We need to make sure they realize this cycle and start second guessing things they hear on the TV or radio. So i propose everyone in this thread repeating wild claims about the health care reform be permanently branded idiots who are incapable of understanding the world around them if time shows them to be wrong.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I think their is more bad in this bill for the people then their is good..

It is unconstitutional, anyone that tries to argue that is just flat out ignorant. Its not our governments job to FORCE us to do anything when it comes to ourselves, as long as we are not breaking the law its not the governments job to tell us WHAT to do.. Period..

Yet it 2010, their are people breathing that think the government is entitled to force us into doing something obviously we are having enough trouble doing in the first place..

to make things worse they want to try and force us into something..

I think allot of people need to read that book called Eutopio that came out century's ago to get a grasp at how we will never be able to have a perfect system, and man would perfer just being free then chained..

I am sure their are other ways to make health insurance affordable..

I have no idea what bill I will sacrifice.. I suppose thou they'll be allot more poor people in the coming years..

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Bicent76]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

So, just so I understand. You are ok with the government going against the majority of Americans who did not want this to pass but they passed it anyway. So you are ok with America being a dictatorship now?

Nonetheless, sometimes we must forego what is popular in order to do what is right.

Do you deny that a government going against the will of it's people is a dictatorship?

The right thing to do is honor the rights and freedoms of the American people and the constitution.

The poll I'm looking at right now:

What is your reaction to the newly passed health care reform bill?

For it 43% 79889
Against it 41% 76945
Not sure 17% 31040

My rights and freedoms as an American were honored. And no parts of the constitution were dishonored. If you don't like it, then I suggest that you vote those people out of office.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cabaret Voltaire
You have to pay rent/mortgage and utilities. Can't stop that.
You have to pay for transportation and food. Can't stop that.

Now that you are FORCED to buy health insurance, how will you afford it?

We (Dutch people) using this system for ages. Works perfectly. If you didnt had this insurance, and you will get ill by some rare disease. The insurance says "sorry mate, your dont have any insurance or a insurance which not totally cover the payments", your the one screwed at that moment.

This system works perfectly for every citizen in america. Everyone gets health care when they need it.

Health is the most important thing in life!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I've got health insurance through my job. So that's great for me.

What will happen? I don't know. I just hope that they don't wreck the insurance that I have.

I'm in wait and see mode.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I have four children... I guess I have to break the news to them.....

"Due to unforeseeable changes and economic slow down.....we are going to have to let some of you go...."

"You there... grab your Dora backpack...and clear out your dresser...heres 10 bucks the train station is to the west..."

Freeloading kids anyways......

The sad thing is they will be the ones paying for this...humor aside.

They don't even have a say in the matter.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

With all due respect 'Shooter, America turned nothing but its back on its citizens and a dollar. "They" mandated car insurance some years ago and it only succeded in creating the corporate monsters we have today.I agree,, in what used to be, the richest nation in the world,,,,everyone should have coverage!However wouldnt it be more prudent taht everone can get treatment vs everyone carry insurance,,,isnt insurance to get treatment?Its a ruse, its sickening, but afterall America's a corporation, not a country.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
For the Poll lovers....

politics.newsvine.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

I will begin by cutting out the wars based on lies.

It won't be easy though, as an American I've come to think that Wars are like Chips, you can't have just one.

Once I have curbed my taste for blood, mayhem and chips, then I would say that Health care will be more then affordable.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I remember when I could afford health insurance. I was laid off from my cozy IT job and was forced to take a $9 an hour job to pay the bills. I barely have enough as it is to pay rent, power, and car insurance. This bill is going to hurt people like me; in a situation where they literally can't afford the extra $100 - $150 a month for a basic / high deductible plan. I went to school, I have a degree, and I can't find a job around my degree or chosen career path. I'm not lazy nor am I a bum, I keep looking for better paying jobs, even if its as a trash man, just so I can scrape together some semblance of a life.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I don't have to worry about it. I am already about to default on my credit cards (my bad) and am only managing to maintain my car payment and car insurance, not to mention the rent for my small business.

Owning my own business I realize that they will try to take the "fines" for my not having health care via my taxes. Therefore, I will no longer be filing taxes with the federal government.

Eventually they will try to take me to court I am sure, however, come that point I will be among probably millions of American's and myself, along with most of them, will not let it happen.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by iamoverrated

I heard that if you make under a certain amount, you don't have to pay for the insurance at all. If that's true (I don't know because I don't know where to find the actual document that was voted on so that I can see w/o political filters what's actually in there), then that would likely mean you're not going to have a problem.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

When will people understand that THEY have the power to stop this BS? Please take the time to read the li9nks or browse over them and understand it is WE that are the problem, not "them". If we would just pay attention to who we are and what we are, we wouldn't BE in this position.

Take back what is rightfully yours, your identity and your life. Man, how hard is that to wrap your head around? "Consent of the governed", what the hell does that mean anyway?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Risen
So i propose everyone in this thread repeating wild claims about the health care reform be permanently branded idiots who are incapable of understanding the world around them if time shows them to be wrong.

At least there are some people in these forums who use clear and logical thinking instead of 'big words' to display their intelligence. On a side note to this post, nobody really has any guess to how much this bill will cost in reality, what premiums will look like for the people affected... or really, like Risen stated, what any of this means right now. As for 'not being able to afford' any of this, medicare/medicaid exist for a reason, utilize the resources available with this new legislation.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by gwydionblack

If you are going to file taxes, file the correct paperwork, 1041, you are a trust, you have a trust fund you know nothing about, do some research and file the proper documents, simple really.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I'm destroyed from the military and have to survive on $254.00 a month, the person I'm caring for gets a little more for SSI. We're already cut back to the bone. He's not going to pay and neither am I, at this point I hope they come knocking to collect, it'll be there last day on the job I #ing promise that. I'm also not paying taxes anymore either, there's no point in typing anymore since it'll just be snip snip snip.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

The poll I'm looking at right now:

What is your reaction to the newly passed health care reform bill?

For it 43% 79889
Against it 41% 76945
Not sure 17% 31040

My rights and freedoms as an American were honored. And no parts of the constitution were dishonored. If you don't like it, then I suggest that you vote those people out of office.

Yeah, you got that from MSNBC right? I'm sure the polling there isn't slanted or anything. I am still on ATS right? Not somewhere else where people believe everything they hear and see on tv (and their internet equivalents).

The bottom line to this argument is that it's not constitutional. Anyone who says they support America should be against this bill. I guarantee you the people voting that they are for it do not know everything that is in the bill.

Just like the people who said they were ok with war, they didn't realize everything it entailed. They were like, oh big bad scary guy, government says they wanna kill me, yes let's go to war I don't have any kids to give to the cause but somebody else does.

It's against the Constitution and that is all anyone really needs to know. If you pass it anyway then you might as well take a dump on it and America.

Myself, and I know a lot of other people too, are NOT ok with that.

EDIT: For spelling.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by mkross1983]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join