It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now you are FORCED to buy health insurance, what will you eliminate to afford it?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus
Um... Well I'm paying out of pocket now. If the world was magic and I could automatically have your awesome insurance, I'd jump on board right now, but I'm not so lucky.

And maybe that's what some people are angry about? You should have gotten the same, if not better "insurance" than I have. But you aren't so lucky.

What you got instead is a rather scary bill that is going to hurt a lot of people and really doesn't improve your healthcare situation very much at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if this legislation actually knocked you down further in the world rankings.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by belial259

Well if you think that this current plan of nothing but profit is working better for us, then I guess i have nothing else to say to you. This bill will help more americans than it pisses off, and when they see their premiums eventually fall when the system improves on efficiency, I won't be the one who said told you so to the cancer victim who would've been uninsured otherwise.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabaret Voltaire

Considering we've got 4 years to think about that...not too worried really.

Maybe I'll give up saturated fats at $4 bucks a bag! What a savings there $608 X 4 years. $1232 !!! Add soda and I can insure someone else too!

If you are under 26 you don't have to worry about insurance right now since you can get coverage under your parents policy.
I guess it is time to start saving that money. What is it worth to have children with pre-existing conditions covered?

And the ridiculous excesses imposed by insurance companies stripped from Medicare billing like $20 for an aspirin saves millions over the years. Republicans call this a "cut to Medicare."

Savings the CBO wasn't allowed to figure in is Emergency Room costs going down and transferred onto all of us

Cost of care will go down since electronic medical records will prevent not only the cost of OVER PRESCRIBING MEDICINE, which isn't cheap one prescription can be hundreds even thousands of dollars! But may even make a dent in the number of deaths by over prescription of drugs.
WHAT kind of push do you think the drug companies were placing to prevent this? What do they care really how many drugs you are on?

The fury over passage of this bill was so heated, and went on for 15 months because once it was passed, people would love it!
It was imperative it not be passed.
We all have preventative care paid for. A major step in the right direction and you will see a more physically vigorous populace. One that COULD theoretically win a war if asked to fight. Not the fat blobs hooked up to the American disease management system and paying through their IV's.

People scream about what they pay...Nobody has paid anything and they won't until about five years from now and only then to get some insurance.
1) If you are here typing away on this thread chances are you don't make enough money to be concerned about a raise in taxes. You are not in the top 2% of earners. It won't even affect you.
2) We all pay double what we should in medical bills (at least twice considering value received) because insurance companies the middleman takes the most off the top (stealing from us, our doctors and nurses and medical providers) thus profiting from every specific diagnoses, medical test, pharmaceutical prescribed and illness suffered.
Once you set a precedent like that, where your illness makes someone rich - you are effectively at the mercy of a drug pusher and his pimp.
3) Scream when you lay out the first dollar and be sure to consider and subtract what you and your children and family saved in the long run. Then cry.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

If you are under 26 you don't have to worry about insurance right now since you can get coverage under your parents policy.

I wish this were the case. I'm 25 and hopeless when it comes to getting insured.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus
This bill will help more americans than it pisses off

Are you sure? Because from outside the US (and the rhetoric) I'm seeing a lot of people who don't have jobs. Were juggling credit card bills. Just had 50% wiped off the value of their house (if they didn't lose it) and have one of the largest wage and social equity gaps in the world. No unions. Still no public healthcare. And now with a big fat bill they otherwise might not have had. And probably can't afford.

The concept of healthcare for all is fine. And I don't have a problem with paying taxes to provide everyone with a real social safety net. But you're not paying taxes. You're paying premiums. Large, already way overpriced premiums.

and when they see their premiums eventually fall when the system improves on efficiency

I don't believe that's going to happen. I haven't seen any compelling evidence it will. Since we're talking about US healthcare, we should treat it as a commodity rather than a service.

Who controls the supply of this commodity? Is it the insurance companies? Therefore who do you think controls the demand, and the price? Could it be the insurance companies again? What possible motive do they have for lowering premiums and costs that are already artificially high because of them?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
What I find that is so strange is......more and more people being put out of work, meaning fewer taxes collected. Ok, with fewer taxes collected, where`s the money going to come from to pay for it? Do you raise the taxes on those who are still working? Like they can afford it, right? Yea......ok. Do you like the idea of your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren getting stuck with paying for this? And do you think the price will never go up? If you don`t, think again, show me where the price of anything ever stays down or never went up.

It seems to me, that before the government starts jumping the gun on such a costly venture as health care is, they would like maybe get all of the people back to work, am I right? No, lets just throw an ever bigger tax hike on the few who are still working.....yea, makes all kinds of sense doesn`t it? Nothing like making life just a little rougher for those who are having a bad enough time of it now, the way the economy is. Where is all of this money going to come from to pay for this, let alone all of the bailouts and stimulus packages that have been passed? From the taxes paid in by those who are working at this time? Get real, ok? You can`t stimulate an economy by bailing out banks who in turn will not loan the money to everyday people. You can`t stimulate an economy with stimulus money that only creates short term jobs, and not long term jobs. And even bigger, you can`t get an economy moving by taking away even more money from those few who are still working, it only froces them into the hole even faster.

Think about it.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by FiatLux]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I heard it was kinda free too. Obamacare* as its become to be known, is a free option i heard, i havnt read the details yet, but was poste on aol news when i signed on.
Someone else here mentioned about soda and potato chips in cafeterias...indeed. So we are to have health insurnace, yet our lovely monsantos bio engineered food industry literally dumps LOADS of salt into canned foods and non canned foods, canned food is considered contaminated anyways via the metal industry, stores sell commercialy, engineered man-controlled vegetables causing things like cancer in the long run, and our water supplies are contamineated as well. The government knows this, and yet wants us all on health care, knowing full well the system has nearly obliterated natural food selections*
still smells fishy to me any which way you slice it.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Wow, talk about a logical fallacy. You're implying that yesterday you didn't "need" insurance, when in reality getting sick without insurance just means that someone else has to pay for it.

If you are sick you have two options: pay to get better, or die. Insurance is a way of affordably ensuring that you can pay for health care when its needed.

Anyone who is so resistant to mandatory insurance should sign a waiver stating that they refuse any and all treatment in the event that they get sick and/or die.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Emerald The Paradigm
It's funny because the Health Care Bill is written by the INSURANCE COMPANIES themselves! (True Story)

They DON'T care about the average person. They really don't.

It's all about MONEY.

And those insurance company commericals are the most sickening of all advertisments.

One company even says that these hard time will make us better ect ect. I mean pure pure bulls#it.

Hay ma our rates are going up but we can pull together ma just like they did durring the depression.

Top of the world Ma! Top of the world!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
OP, look on the bright side...you still have 4 years to prioritize your expenditures before you are "forced" to buy insurance.

Let's all pray that you don't fall gravely ill before you have to buy into this evil scheme of the shared risk pool

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I for one will do absolutely anythin and everythin in my power NOT to have insurance! I will not be a part of this horrible garbage that WAS written by health insurance companies! This health care bill is a horrible JOKE! It has nothing to do with improving care and everything to do with helping insurance companies and takin away a little bit more of your privacy and rights!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Is there a copy of the exact paperwork that passed online? I'm fine w/ having healthcare (paid for or free) but I currently go to the VA to get health coverage & I'd like to know if that counts (since it's not "insurance") or if I need to do something on top of that.

What I'm trying to understand is the people who already have insurance that complain. Is it making there insurance go away?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter

It might cost something but it's right.

If you have the world's biggest economy you can't have people without health-care...

You would think that living in the country with the world's biggest economy the majority of people would be able to find work and afford health insurance on their own?!

I am an Aussie and am recovering from follow up surgery right now.
I have had emergency surgery two years ago and repairs last week...
...and there were no direct costs to me...
...all paid by my taxes paid over thirty years of work.

That sounds good. Unfortunately, Australia does not have the swath of entitlement programs that the United States does. If we were ONLY supporting healthcare, perhaps it wouldn't be such an outrageous amount of money. But we just dumped another 30 million people into a system that is already tapped out on cash. See, we also have Medicaid and Medicare which also provide healthcare to seniors and those less fortunate.

Unfortunately, both systems are broken and instead of actually fixing them, they have now merely added to the problem.

Lastly, the Federal Government has mandated that the states pick up the tab for the additional people that will now qualify for Medicaid. And in case Australia didn't get the memo -- the states are already broke as well and beginning to pass taxes for everything from soda to purchasing a metro card. Not to mention increased property taxes on homes that lost an average of 30% of their value in the last 2 years.

Health care should be available on the basis of needs not whether you can pay.

No hospital in this country can turn a person away in need of emergency medical care due to their ability to pay and/or whether or not they have health insurance. It's called charity care.

If you don't qualify for charity care, you can get surgery in the US when you need it and make payment arrangements as low as $5 per month. I know, I did it.

...America turned a moral corner today and I am proud of you.

Perhaps morally. Unfortunately, morals don't pay my mortgage and morals don't put food on my table.

We are raising an entire generation of people that think they have to work for nothing, are entitled to everything, and that there is always someone else to pick up the tab.

How that mentality is going to keep the United States functioning for any period of time here forward, I have no idea.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
If you don't pay enough in taxes, I have good news for you.

Your about to pay more.

Maybe you have health care already. Maybe you have health care for your entire family. To bad; your going to pay more to.

You don't have to work anywhere special to get health care. You can purchase it on your own if you like. You might as well because now you are required by law.

I wonder what Barrack's next great idea will be?

This morning, small business owners all over America are warning their employees they might liqudate the company. Simply because they won't be able to afford the new health care taxes. Is Wal-Mart still hiring? McDonalds?

If I told you what will probably happen in November, and I was right, would you think I was a prophet or just another internet yahoo with common sense?

2012 will be another interesting election year? Will Barack even make it out of the Deomcratic Primary or will The Hillary eat him for snack?

Health care for all looks great on paper. So do the accounting figures for Enron. And MCI. And Washington Mutual. Communism looks good on paper to until you figure out way to late that you don't have personal rights anymore?

So my question is; How many rights are you willing to give away before and stand up for yourself and make a stand?

And this one; what kind of stand did you have in mind?

And lastly; Assuming you make a stand, how far are you willing to go?

In closing, I would like to remind everyone that today is the anniversary of "The Stamp Act Of 1775." How fitting.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cabaret Voltaire
Now you are FORCED to buy health insurance, what will you eliminate to afford it?

My congressman!!!!!

[edit on 22-3-2010 by LiquidMirage]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I feel sorry for you because your leaders do what they please.

I feel sorry for you because any country that call itself developed, should have free healthcare for its people.

This is a really tough question to take sides on, since the laws and the will of the people should be followed, but the poor should not have to suffer due to other persons greed.

[edit on 3/22/2010 by above]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
At least the new legislation locks in billions of dollars in monopoly profits for the pharmaceutical companies, which are the same companies that spent millions of dollars pushing for its passage and depends on the continuation of sickness and disease for all future profits.

So all Americans are now required to pay into a system of monopolized, pharmaceutical medicine even if they reject that system of medicine as a miserable failure. Healthy people who actually take responsibility for their health and bodies are financially penalized and forced to subsidize profits for drug companies.

The passage of this legislation practically guarantees another generation of pain and suffering at the hands of conventional medicine because nothing within it reforms health care. It has almost nothing to do with health care at all. It's congress deciding for you that fixing the problem simply involves expanding the failures to include everyone.

Abolishing all forms of Health Care freedom is the name of the game. Now those with forced insurance can ease their minds as they shuffle into line to receive their "covered" treatments. Sure, your premiums will increase every time another 14 thousand dollar chemo shot is approved by the FDA, but at least you'll get that shot into your veins at the snap of a finger.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by StrangeBrew]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Genfinity

If I quit cigarettes chips and soda I can buy health insurance for a few people. It doesn't start until another four years anyway so there is plenty of time to plan.

At least when you spend the money required in four years you are going to get something for it.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

It's actually a sad day. I love the guy who made a post calling us all idiots for being against this. Well, we'll see who the idiots are when this is all said and done. Why? Well, because that idiot that created that post probably thought that this healthcare was going to be free. LOL

He didn't see that one coming I bet.

My only problem with your post, and I understand why you have done it, is the B. Hussein O. statement at the end.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
Isnt it going to be restrictions on soft drinks in schools, restaurants and in the homes too ? seen it on blogs..

No soda to the Chips during SuperBowl ? What is an american to do ....

With the extention of the patriot act thru the jobs-bill, you'll have some good times ahead.

Any one here read the 2700 pages in the HC bill ?

These are topics Ive seen on misc. blog sites, so I just wonder if any of you know something about it..
Im Norwegean, so I should butt in, I just wonder about the above topics..

[edit on 22/3/2010 by ChemBreather]

It's already against the rules for my kids to bring any sugary drinks to school. Well, that's a lie because they let us send in Capri Sun and Sunny D. LOL But they have banned all soda. You bring a can in and your kid brings it home with an hour of detention for the first offense.

I mean, we live in a small town (well, relative to where we moved from I guess but still fairly small). The principle even had the gall to tell my son that if he ever wore his jeans with the small (and I mean miniscule) snag in the knee that he would be suspended for 3 days. ??? That's what PUBLICLY funded projects do for you. Healthcare will be no different.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join