It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multi-State Lawsuit Over Healthcare As Soon As Obama Signs!!!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I would love it if WA was in the mix, but sadly I'm stuck with 2 absolutely worthless senate members and house electives. Our only good elective is the 4th district Congressman, which is our areas elected official. Well the last time I checked.

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Scarcer]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

You bring up some good points. I am really interested in reading the text of the lawsuit to see how much of a leg it really has.

If the states lawsuits hold no merit, I am sure that legal scholars will tear it to shred in a heartbeat.

From what I see, a lot will ride on the commerce clause.

Furthermore, states are putting their reputation on the line IMO. 39 states better be right or it will be very hard for them to sue the fed in the future over 10th amendment violations.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Interesting article concerning constitutionality.

Based on this article, Abbott better hope he has an ace up his sleeve.

"Even for those of us who are very protective of states' interests, we have a very hard time finding a constitutional doctrine that protects states' rights under the general welfare clause," Rodriguez said. "The courts have seldom used the general welfare clause in any way to invalidate federal legislation."

Since the Depression era, federal courts have interpreted the commerce clause as giving Congress enormous power to impose taxes and regulate commercial activity, he said.

"The courts have upheld commerce power even when everyone knows the effect of that power has been to create winners and losers," Rodriguez said. "Legislation that has the effect of redistributing economic and political power among the states is what Congress enacts all the time."

www.statesman.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Furthermore, states are putting their reputation on the line IMO. 39 states better be right or it will be very hard for them to sue the fed in the future over 10th amendment violations.
I have to ask...if they don't sue now, when will they ever?

[edit on 22-3-2010 by GuyverUnit I]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by GuyverUnit I

Based that 38 or 39 states see it the same way, I think now is a perfect time.

I am hoping they are doing it because they have a leg to stand on and not because they didn't like the vote.

The issue over the 10th amendment is nothing new. I have heard states complain before but seldom take action over such violations. Usually the only action states take is to hold out their hand and beg for the money that the fed owes them for such declared violations.

Is this bill Constitutional? I don't know. But I sure sure hope 30 something Attorney generals know what they are doing.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Quantum Logic

california did it with medical mj. back them into a corner and they hesitate...the feds are scared of the states because enforceing anything becomes a lost cause without cooperation from the state.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

Maybe we should start remind our representatives this.

But surely, many of our representatives would be more scared of losing their own hide than to do something for the sake of the rest of the state.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I will put money the FEDERAL COURT will do the same thing it always does when they do not want to touch an issue.

NO STANDING!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Will certainly be something to watch - the show, that is - more drama to come.

Wonder where it's all gonna end up?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Starting to look like a Republican agenda. Do they really have a chance or are they just grasping at straws?

Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox said on Monday he will join the Republican attorneys general of Florida and nine other states in challenging the constitutionality of the federal healthcare reform bill.

www.reuters.com...

Seems Virgina might have standing.

“Virginia is in a unique situation that allows it the standing to file such a suit since Virginia is the only state so far to pass a law protecting its citizens from a government-imposed mandate to buy health insurance,” he said. “The health care reform bill, with its insurance mandate, creates a conflict of laws between the federal government and Virginia,” Attorney General Cuccinelli said.

“Normally, such conflicts are decided in favor of the federal government, but because we believe the federal law is unconstitutional, Virginia’s law should prevail.”

www.csmonitor.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
This whole health care reform is completely BS!!!!!!
How did he pull it off?! After all these attempts and over 60% of the pop. against it as well as his multiple attempts to get it passed. This is a complete scam!!!!! Something very evil is happening and they are trying to do it very quickly....Too bad the farther we get held in the dark the farther we WILL shoot into the light. I believe this is the beginning of the end for our government.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
I will put money the FEDERAL COURT will do the same thing it always does when they do not want to touch an issue.

NO STANDING!

I really hope you are wrong this time. If this dosen't fix it then all we have left is a violent retort.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

texas and if they do I am moveing there!

most likely Texas indeed that is my vote.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Southern Guardian is right. And the lawsuit has partisanship written all over it.

Yahoo News

Republican attorneys general in 11 states warned that lawsuits will be filed to stop the federal government overstepping its constitutional powers and usurping states' sovereignty.

States are concerned the burden of providing healthcare will fall on them without enough federal support.

Ten of the attorneys general plan to band together in a collective lawsuit on behalf of Alabama, Florida, Nebraska, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah and Washington.

It's political posturing, but it doesn't mean they really want to win the lawsuit, since ultimately they still want the medicaid money.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by antideceit

Originally posted by sos37
Go states! Go states! Go states!

Hopefully this sends the message to Obama and the rest of the Congressional idiots - we really don't want your version of health care reform because it sucks in the worst way.

Go back and do it from scratch the right way!

I agree with you, but has any "message" to oBambi stopped him yet in his attempts to tear down America? Not that anyone could notice. Karl Marx would be so proud of Obambi right now

You guys are so pathetic in your retoric.

Don't you realize that caring for it's citizens is one of the fundamentals of a civilized society?

Don't you guys realize that when people are turned away from health treatment because they are poor is a sure way of creating discontent?

Don't you guys realize that Obama isn't tearing down the country - he is trying to make sure that Insurance companies, Banks and BigPharma doesn't take over control of your nation?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Lawsuits and talk of secession.

Healthcare is still brewing up a storm.

Reps. Pete Hoekstra (R-MI) and Steve King (R-IA) then went out and spoke to the protesters, with King floating the possibility of secession (even though he said they should “hope” it doesn’t come to that):

KING: I just came down here so I could say to you, God bless you. … You are the awesome American people. [...]

If I could start a country with a bunch of people, they’d be the folks who were standing with us the last few days. Let’s hope we don’t have to do that! Let’s beat that other side to a pulp! Let’s take them out. Let’s chase them down. There’s going to be a reckoning!

thinkprogress.org...

Video from article. I don't have sound on my comp, but I imagine King is repeating what is said above.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by HolgerTheDane

Don't you guys realize that Obama isn't tearing down the country - he is trying to make sure that Insurance companies, Banks and BigPharma doesn't take over control of your nation?

Didn't Obama make deals with them?

If he wanted to make sure he would have never made the deals. He would have done what was right for Americans without caring what Big pharma and insurance companies thought.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

It's political posturing, but it doesn't mean they really want to win the lawsuit, since ultimately they still want the medicaid money.

SG makes some good points. I can't help but wonder if the courts won't see this as a political agenda and dismiss the case.

If that happens, it will be a big political win for Obama IMO.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I believe cases like this, with so many states, it will start with the appellet courts and then go up to the Supreme Court. Now if it does go to the Supreme Court on a challlenge, it could very well be struck down, if nothing more than the majority of the Justices do not like Obama, especially the Chief Justice, for what Obama did.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by HolgerTheDane

Didn't Obama make deals with them?

If he wanted to make sure he would have never made the deals. He would have done what was right for Americans without caring what Big pharma and insurance companies thought.

If any deals where made I'm sure it is because said companies have a very strong pressure group.

Is it far fetched to think that some senators would be "pursuaded" to see it from the side of these pressure groups.

In this "deal making" it is also interesting to see that the abortion card was played again.
And there had to be made consessions to cater for this particular pressure group simply because it would cost votes to certain senators and representatives that were important in the passing of this historic bill.

Deals are part of the patchwork. How it escapes you when criminals can get off on serious charges because of deal making I don't know.
When we can make deals with common criminals why not Business Criminals?
Deals seem to be integral to everything important.

In politics it is usually referred to as "compromises".

[edit on 22.3.2010 by HolgerTheDane]

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join