It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Street View shows "Secret" SAS HQ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
The ever watchful eye of Google catches yet another thing a government doesn't want made public. In this case, SAS HQ.

Google posts 'secret' British SAS base on Street View in 'very serious security breach'

Military chiefs and MPs blasted internet giant Google today after its Street View service included detailed pictures of the headquarters of the SAS.

Internet users can snoop around the entrance to Credenhill, Herefordshire, which has never before appeared on maps for security reasons.

Shockingly, the base is even marked as 'British SAS' on the website and offers users a detailed 180 degree view of the perimeter boundary.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

I'm sure they won't be too happy with the Daily Mail for posting screen shots of the pics either.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
What I find funny is that their base of operations is not really SECRET at all. Its been mentioned in books (Rainbow 6 - Tom Clancey) and everyone in the area knows that they are there, anyone visiting can drive by and see the huge fence and massive security.... oh and they could also read the sign at the entrance to the base.

If people really wanted to do any harm there, they wouldn't need Google street view to plan it. Heck they have been able to plan things like that from before computers were invented using nothing but a flat sand covered surface and a long stick to draw with.

*edit for spelling (im getting hooked on phonics....slowly)

[edit on 19-3-2010 by QBSneak000]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
i dont really see what the big deal is. Im not aware of this place in particular but I used to live very close to Brize Norton, the biggest RAF base in England and you can see the same kind of stuff easily. I don't think they're that bothered about cameras either as I, amongst many others, sit at the end of the runway and take photos of the planes.

It looks pretty much identical to this picture.

I actually went to a wedding there recently and there was no problem with cameras.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
OFFS.....Dailymail.....what a surprise. GARBAGE!

next......

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
How hilariously ironic that they released the story to the media! We're angry that Google showed our secret base, so now we'll show you pictures, including an overview map of the location?!?

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Yes - it seemed kind of like "Area 51" here in the US.

Government - "It doesn't exist"
People - "Sure it does - its on the map"
Government - "No it isn't"
People - "I have a picture of it!!"
Government - "Give me that!!"

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
Yes - it seemed kind of like "Area 51" here in the US.

Government - "It doesn't exist"
People - "Sure it does - its on the map"
Government - "No it isn't"
People - "I have a picture of it!!"
Government - "Give me that!!"

I think this story has been massively overblown. If you are not familiar with Daily Mail as a newspaper then you really shouldn't take this too seriously. They are reknowned for taking an, umm, lets say biased and alarmist, view on things, especially when it is anything vaguely related to immigration/terrorism/national security. I would compare them to fox news although probably not quite that bad....

I would imagine the truth of the matter is that they said, "this isn't too good, could you please remove it", which gets turned in to this.

[edit on 19-3-2010 by Frakkerface]

[edit on 19-3-2010 by Frakkerface]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Thats to funny,google rulz

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Secret SAS base my ass. Anyone who's interested in the military knows exactly where the SAS base is and that they train on the breacon beacons.

Like a previouse poster said its pretty well documented.

I agree with the comments about the daily mail aswell.

typical Headline...

ILLEGAL IMAGRANT CAUGHT PLANNING A MASSIVE ATTACK ON THE HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT!

The truth...

Two holiday makers where pollitely asked not to take pictures will parliament was in session.

Dont you just love the media.

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The Daily FAIL, sorry Mail.
Another example of it's ignorance of new technology and outright suspicion of the Internet

They must not be aware that sensitive locations can be deleted if Google is contacted.

posted on Mar, 21 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Update : Google forced to remove pictures of secret military bases from Street View

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
the daily mail is just about as good and the Star, full of tits, the base is easily viewable, there are memorials and burial sites that you can visit in the local area, the majority of the SAS are on mission at any point in time so it is a minimal security risk, any terrorist that found themselves on this base would have more hole than a collinder in them.

i don't see what the problem is here

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
If it were a secret it wouldn't be fully visible from a public street. Some newspaper 'reporters' should be send back to school... *sigh*

posted on Mar, 29 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Yeah, I agree with the rest, these are ridiculous exaggerations. If Google takes a picture of you on Street View, you can request them to remove it as well. Apparently it was against the Official Secrets Act, so it's Google's fault.

join