It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EDITORIAL: Obama surrenders gulf oil to Moscow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

EDITORIAL: Obama surrenders gulf oil to Moscow

washingtontimes.com

The Obama administration is poised to ban offshore oil drilling on the outer continental shelf until 2012 or beyond. Meanwhile, Russia is making a bold strategic leap to begin drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico. While the United States attempts to shift gears to alternative fuels to battle the purported evils of carbon emissions, Russia will erect oil derricks off the Cuban coast.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit - Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 3/31/2010 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Here is yet another example of our President putting his extreme environmental ideals ahead of the country's need for a secure source of domestic oil. I'm once again sitting here in disbelief that our leader would first allow this to happen, and at the same time ban our own people from drilling these resources.

This will undoubtedly lead to increases in the price of crude. Remember OPEC is strategizing how to remove our influence, namely the dollar, as the currency traded for oil...countries such as Venezuela and Cuba in recent years are widening their influence in the oil market...and don't forget Iran can wipe out the oil fields in the middle east in minutes if they want to with newly developed missile technology.

In short our only hope for a secure and constant supply of oil that isn't controlled by countries that hate us is right here in the Gulf of Mexico and within the United States itself. So ask yourself this question...

"Knowing the importance it is to our economy and national security that we have a secure source of domestic oil available to us, why is Obama giving the stuff and the oil fields away!?!?"

God help us in the coming months and years when dealing with the aftermath of the ridicules choices our President has made just in his first year and a half.

washingtontimes.com

Mod Edit - Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 3/31/2010 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This is just intolerable! I'm sitting here feeling my blood pressure go up reading this crap!!! Don't stores have security cameras to deter robbers and shoplifters? Don't gas stations make you pay before you pump? With our porous borders and ineffective "war on drugs", this is just one more sign that TPTB are actively driving American into the sh*tter!

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
This is evidence, in my never to be humble opinion, that Obama must be impeached. He his trying to take total control of healthcare and education, and throwing us to the wolves on energy.

IMPEACH OBAMA!!!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Russia is making a bold strategic leap to begin drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico. While the United States attempts to shift gears to alternative fuels to battle the purported evils of carbon emissions, Russia will erect oil derricks off the Cuban coast.

Ummm...

How is Obama "surrendering" to Russia, exactly? We don't have any territorial claim over Cuba or the region of the Gulf where Russia is planning to construct these off-shore oil derricks, so what exactly is the problem here?

It wouldn't matter if our president was Obama, McCain, Bush... anyone really. The president really has no say in what Russia decides to do in territory that doesn't belong to us.

It looks to me like the Washington Times decided to take a non-story and twist it into yet another senseless partisan hit piece. Nice to see you all taking the bait.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Whenever you count out russia, they always find a way to make you say "hmmmmm."

Shouldn't cede land to Russia.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
It wouldn't matter if our president was Obama, McCain, Bush... anyone really.

Yes, it would. If it was anyone but Obama, no one would be talking about it.
It's another opportunity to slam Obama for something he didn't do.

Thanks for the logical thought.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

You just conquered the 2nd most oil rich nation on the planet.
Is that not a secure enough source of oil ?

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstrongo37

Here is yet another example of our President putting his extreme environmental ideals ahead of the country's need for a secure source of domestic oil. I'm once again sitting here in disbelief that our leader would first allow this to happen, and at the same time ban our own people from drilling these resources.

This will undoubtedly lead to increases in the price of crude. Remember OPEC is strategizing how to remove our influence, namely the dollar, as the currency traded for oil...countries such as Venezuela and Cuba in recent years are widening their influence in the oil market...and don't forget Iran can wipe out the oil fields in the middle east in minutes if they want to with newly developed missile technology.

In short our only hope for a secure and constant supply of oil that isn't controlled by countries that hate us is right here in the Gulf of Mexico and within the United States itself. So ask yourself this question...

"Knowing the importance it is to our economy and national security that we have a secure source of domestic oil available to us, why is Obama giving the stuff and the oil fields away!?!?"

God help us in the coming months and years when dealing with the aftermath of the ridicules choices our President has made just in his first year and a half.

washingtontimes.com

Blah balh -
you get your oil from Canada.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I think everyone of you missed some important twisted facts in this article except drwizardphd.

It clearly states that the Russians will be drilling in Cuba's waters after winning some contracts and has been given that right during the Carter administration. The US doesn't have any claim to those resources and never would. It's not like Russia is setting up oil rigs right off our coast or directly "inside" the gulf.

This is just another fear mongering article imho to get the masses riled up over the current administration. Seems evident in the article that the writer injected his own personal feelings to twist the story and not just reporting straight facts of the matter.

Also, we need to find alternative energy besides oil. For decades we've been pleading for an alternative energy source and finally an administration is actually trying to do that and is getting persecuted for it.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
ridiculous arguments and anger in this thread

America leaves afghanistan and russia goes in instead, americans angry

come on people, such arrogance?

where does it come from????

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
It seems to me that the US is screwing with Russia and China by building so many damned bases in the middle east and along the borders of eastern Asia. I read that the US hooked up Tibet with some arms and ammunition possibly looking at Tibet gaining independence from being a Chinese province. We also helped out Taiwan.

It would seem that the US is strategically trying to take over the middle east and all oil with no regard from the threats of eastern Asia. If the USA can get it's greedy little hands on all the oil overseas, there is probably hope that we can kiss our debt goodbye and have every other country in the world right back beneath our feet. This would most likely be the start of world war 3.

I took the US ASVAB in Dallas two weeks ago and spoke with army and marine recruiters on the way back. I'm planning to go find this stupid Hall of Records and save our crappy little rock from annihilation and the Coast Guard was my way out so to speak, if all else fails. Point being... even the lowest of military personnel seem to think that we are on the brink of WW3. The US has bases all over the place and we advertise our "future weapons" on international television for any joe shmoe to see. In my opinion, what the us is capable of doing is far more than any of us actually know or could imagine. It seems like we are forcefully trying to take over oil and control the world while saying bring it on to anyone who decides otherwise.

This move by Russia is pretty sneaky. They practically walked into our neighbors yard and asked to post up. Nothing US can do about that short of a strategic "problem" of two Russia may bump into.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Obama surrenders gulf oil to Moscow

washingtontimes.com

The Obama administration is poised to ban offshore oil drilling on the outer continental shelf until 2012 or beyond. Meanwhile, Russia is making a bold strategic leap to begin drilling for oil in the Gulf of Mexico. While the United States attempts to shift gears to alternative fuels to battle the purported evils of carbon emissions, Russia will erect oil derricks off the Cuban coast.

Wow, this just about teeters on treason...not I that think oil is necessary in the quantities consumed nowadays. I think people could give up there suv's and we could use hemp to displace a huge portion of oil for products.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

No offense but you clearly arent aware of world afairs or global political climate.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Not clear on your point here...

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by zarlaan

You need to learn from history, and if you see how Russia has always behaved (historicaly aggressive), you will see that their mode of operation has always been to "get their foot in the door" and establish presence in a region and then gain dominance.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockstrongo37

Urr, reincheck buddy.

1. the WEST did invade Iraq and occupy it, correct?

2. Western Oil corp's do now control a VAST majority of Iraq's fields, correct?

The only thing I was wrong on, was that Iraq has the 2nd largest oil reserves.

It actually may be number 1

business.timesonline.co.uk...

Iraq dramatically increased the official size of its oil reserves yesterday after new data suggested that they could exceed Saudi Arabia’s and be the largest in the world.

The Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister told The Times that new exploration showed that his country has the world’s largest proven oil reserves, with as much as 350 billion barrels. The figure is triple the country’s present proven reserves and exceeds that of Saudi Arabia’s estimated 264 billion barrels of oil. Barham Salih said that the new estimate had been based on recent geological surveys and seismic data compiled by “reputable, international oil companies . . . This is a serious figure from credible sources.”

So back to you, what exactly am I not up to date on ?

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

reply to post by zarlaan

You need to learn from history, and if you see how Russia has always behaved (historicaly aggressive), you will see that their mode of operation has always been to "get their foot in the door" and establish presence in a region and then gain dominance.

What exactly do I need to learn and "get their foot in the door"? It's not like Russia and Cuba just suddenly started having diplomatic relations. I think its pretty common knowledge how their relations are and how far back they go.

I mean I certainly understand where you are coming from in regards to another world power gaining an upper hand in the race to obtain as much raw sources of energy as possible. But, I just don't agree with the angle being made by the posted article.

Point being also its time to focus purely on alternative sources of energy and stop worrying about drilling new oil. Put those funds into R&R, and I know it's easier said than done, but have to start somewhere.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by drwizardphd
It wouldn't matter if our president was Obama, McCain, Bush... anyone really.

Yes, it would. If it was anyone but Obama, no one would be talking about it.
It's another opportunity to slam Obama for something he didn't do.

Thanks for the logical thought.

Yes, poor Obama. No Pesident in the last 8 years has had more trash written about him in the papers or posted about him on ATS.

Its a shame he gets such a raw deal.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a couple days late posting buddy...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

search function ends repetitive threads.

just sayin'...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join